Guardian Angel

Unseen Love

I stared at you in shock. “You can see me?”

“Of course I can see you,” you said hesitantly. You stared at me like I was a crazy person. For a moment I wondered if I was.

“You can really see me?”

“Yes, I can really see you,” you repeated. I stood up and walked towards you. You tried to pull back, but you couldn’t move much. I reached out to gently touch the back of your hand.

“Can you feel this?”

“Yes. Would you tell me what’s going on?” Just then your parents came back into the room. Your mother rushed to your side. I moved out of the way, another silly habit of acting like I’m still alive.

“You’re awake! Oh honey we were so worried! The doctors didn’t know when you would wake up. You hit your head in the accident. You’ve been asleep for five days.” Your attention turned to your parents as they spoke. I could see you trying to take all of this in. It must have felt like a lot. After a few minutes, your eyes met mine again.

“Who is he?” You asked while gesturing towards me.

“Who is who, dear?” Your father looked around the room, confused as to who you could be talking about.

“That boy. He is right next to you dad.” You were starting to get frustrated.

“They can’t see me,” I stated softly.

Your eyebrows came together in confusion. “What do you mean they can’t see you?” Your parents looked at you in shock and then at each other.

“You have to stop talking to me with other people in the room or they will think you’ve gone crazy. I’ll explain everything when we’re alone again. Now nod your head if you understand.” I said quickly. You nodded and I sighed in relief.

“I’m sorry,” you reached up to touch your head, “I think I must have been imagining things for a moment.” This act was obviously meant for your parents. I chuckled a little at you for it.

“Do you want us to get the doctor?” Your mother questioned lightly, taking your hand in hers.

“No, it’s alright. It’s just a lot to take in. Could you get me some food though? I’m pretty hungry.”

“Of course sweetie. We’ll be right back, okay?” You nodded and smiled at them reassuringly. They seemed to buy your excuse because they didn’t look so worried now.

“That was smooth,” I teased. I had often teased you before, so the habit slipped out. It was strange to see you react to it with a little pout.

“Explain what’s going on. Why can I see you and no one else can?”

“I don’t know why you can see me. I’m a ghost.”

“A ghost? Are you serious?”

“Very serious. I died a long time ago.”

“Then why are you here?” You asked slowly. Suddenly you jumped a little and covered your mouth with your hands. “Did you die here? In this bed?” You looked like you would use every ounce of strength to get out of that bed if I said yes.

“No, I didn’t die in this room. I died in another part of the hospital.”

“Why are you in my room then?” You asked again. I sighed, this suddenly seemed like a lot to explain.

“I doubt you will remember me, but I first saw you when you much younger. You were coming to visit your grandmother. I was still alive then, but very sick. I was able to attend school for a few months. We were in the same class. My illness beat me eventually though, and I died.” I tried to explain as simply as I could.

“But you’re still here?” You were taking this better than I could have ever expected.

“I am. I don’t know why, I have theories of course, but I’m not sure of the actual reason.”

“Are you always with me?” You looked into my eyes. I nodded. You squinted at me. “Prove it.”

“Your pajamas are pink. You call your teddy bear Mr. Snuggles. You hide your diary in-”

“Okay! You’ve proved your point!” Your cheeks were pink. You looked adorable. “Why do you stay with me?”

That was the hardest question to answer. “I care about you. I know it sounds crazy, but I love you. I couldn’t just leave you alone, even if you didn’t know I was there.”

You stared at me for a moment before looking away. Your eyes glazed over they way do when you’re thinking hard about something. I would think it was cute if I wasn’t also worried at the same time.

“So you’re a ghost, that’s in love with me, and you’ve been following me around for years.”

“It sounds creepy when you say it like that,” I rubbed my arm.

“I’m sorry, I…” You looked lost for words. “What is your name?”

“Sanghyun, Park Sanghyun.” You nodded again. I could hear your parents approaching.

“Your parents are coming back. Remember to pretend I’m not around. It’ll be easier that way.”

“Okay Sanghyun-ah.”

------------------------------

It was another few days before you were released to go home. And then your mother stayed with you for several days after that. She was worse than the doctors. She never left your side and was constantly worried about you. You had healed quickly though, so maybe all her concern helped more than I thought.

I didn’t like her being around so much though. With you actually being able to see me, I found myself wanting to spend every single moment talking to you. Everything I had ever wanted could finally come true. You knew I existed. We could talk. We could touch. It drove me crazy that you couldn’t acknowledge me with your mother around.

After what felt like years to me, she agreed to return to her own home. She had made you promise to call if you needed help of course. She was a very caring woman, you must have inherited that from her.

You laid down in bed that night to sleep and out of habit I laid next to you.

“Do you usually sleep here?” You asked. I had forgotten how much of this was still new to you.

“Oh, yes. I’m sorry. You’ve never been able to see me before, so I didn’t think anything of it. I can go sleep on the couch if you would be more comfortable?”

“No,” you said hesitantly, “if you’ve been doing it anyway, I guess it wouldn’t make a difference, right?” I smiled at you trying to be accommodating for a ghost.

“I promise I give you privacy. I don’t follow you into the bathroom or watch you change.” I certainly had wanted to watch you change several times, but I never allowed myself to. You smiled at me.

“You are very respectful for a ghost that can do anything.”

“Even if you didn’t know I was here, it felt too invasive to do something like that.”

“What do we do now? I know you’re here. How does that change things?”

“I don’t really know. If you ask me to leave, I will.”

“Do you have somewhere else to go?” I shook my head. I had never even thought about leaving you. I didn’t know where to find my own family. Did they live in the same house? What did my parents look like now? Had my sisters grown up well? “Then you should stay here. We’ll figure things out in time.”

“You are so accepting of all this.”

“I would be lying if I didn’t admit I found it all a little weird. But your presence is strangely comforting. It feels like I have a guardian angel or something.” I smiled at your comment.

“I’m no angel, but I will never leave you alone. I will always protect you.”