Legal Issues

Unseen Love

The following morning you woke up and showered like normal. I stayed in bed while you did all of this. There was no point in me getting up, what would I do? When you came out to make breakfast, I finally decided to get up. I followed you out to the kitchen and leaned over the counter to watch you cook.

“You’re wearing the same thing as yesterday,” you said.

“I always wear the same thing,” I laughed.

“Don’t you change? Or shower? Or eat?” Your curiousity was amusing. I had never given much thought to these things.

“No, I don’t. I guess ghosts don’t get dirty or need to eat.”

“But you sleep?”

“I don’t know if you call it sleeping or not. Sleep is the closest thing I know for how to describe it. I’m not awake. But I don’t need to sleep like you do. I just do it because there is nothing else to do.”

“This is all so weird.” I laughed at your obvious observation.

You ate quickly before going to work. You noticed I followed you there too. You learned to speak softly when you were addressing me in public. No one seemed aware of it when you were in a crowd anyway.

“People just walk right through you! Doesn’t that feel strange?”

I shrugged. “I’m used to it. I generally try to avoid them, but sometimes it just happens, like how sometimes you bump into people. It’s unavoidable in a crowd.”

“And why do you follow me to work?” Again, I shrugged in response. “Nothing better to do?”

“No,” I smiled, “not really.”

The school day was pretty normal aside from the staff and students welcoming you back and asking about your health. You assured them you were doing well and continued on with your day. You were careful not to talk to me, but you glanced my way every once in a while. It was strangely comforting to have you be able to acknowledge me like this.

I was amazed at how normal it felt to be able to talk to you. Had I ever allowed myself to imagine this situation, I would’ve assumed it would have felt very odd. It was nice though. I didn’t feel so isolated.

The day ended rather uneventfully, but after all the mess of the last few weeks, I was grateful for that. We made our way home easily. You were in the middle of making your dinner when your cell phone rang. I looked down at it.

“It’s an unknown number.” You frowned slightly at my statement, but reached over for it. You looked at it for a second before answering.

“Hello?” You said, putting the phone on speaker and setting it down to continue working on your dinner. Whether you did that for my benefit or not, I wasn’t sure. I appreciated it though.

“Hello Miss. My name is Song Wan Ha. I am calling to arrange a meeting with you about your accident. I’m a lawyer and we need to review the legal side of your accident.” His voice came through easily. He sounded slightly disinterested.

“Oh, I didn’t realize there was anything to talk about,” you replied.

“There is actually quite a bit. When would be a good time for you?” He asked. You grabbed the phone and quickly opened your calendar.

“Is Thursday afternoon alright? I finish with work a bit earlier than normal that day.”

“Thursday afternoon is perfect. I will schedule your appointment and see you then. Thank you for your cooperation.” He hung up quickly. You shrugged at the phone.

“Lawyers.” You said that as if I was supposed to understand. I didn’t really get it, but I smiled anyway.

-----------------------------

Thursday came and we made our way to the law office after your classes had ended. You had received some paperwork from the hospital and the police about the accident to give to him as well. You weren’t very excited about it, but I suppose there wasn’t anything to be excited about.

The secretary had us wait for a few minutes before the lawyer came out. He smiled when you stood up after he called your name. Your eyes lit up when you saw him. I noticed and suddenly felt a little jealous. I couldn’t deny that he was a good looking man, that made it worse.

“As I said on the phone, my name is Song Wan Ha. I will be handling your case.” He said when we entered his office. He sat behind his desk, you in one of the chairs opposite him. I sat down next to you. I wished that he could see me. I wanted to hold your hand or put my arm around you.

The details all seemed superfluous and I didn’t pay much attention to what he was saying. I did notice how much he was smiling at you though. I don’t have much experience with lawyers, but I felt rather certain in thinking he looked far too cheery to be one. You didn’t seem to notice anything though.

“I think we have all the details wrapped up. Since you aren’t looking to press charges there shouldn’t be much else to handle. You can give me call if you have any other questions.” He smiled and handed you his card. “My cell phone number is on there as well, should you need to contact me after work hours or on the weekend.” He pointed to one of the numbers on the card.

“Thank you very much. I really appreciate your help.”

“It isn’t a problem. Your insurance is very good about taking care of these types of situations.”

“Still, thank you.”

“Of course. Call me if you need anything.” He smiled and held the door open for you. I was glad to leave. I didn’t like how much time he spent looking at you.

“Thank goodness that is over,” I said as we walked to bus stop. You smiled at me.

“You didn’t like being around the lawyer?” You teased.

“He spent too much time looking at you rather than at the paperwork,” I replied. You blushed a little and smiled.

“Did he? He was rather good looking.” I rolled my eyes and walked across the street to the bus stop. I didn’t usually take off into traffic, even if I was already dead, but I was annoyed by the situation. When you finally caught up you called for me.

“Sanghyun-ah, don’t be upset. I’m sorry. I forget how you feel sometimes.”

I sighed and tried to calm down. “No, I’m sorry. I’ve spent years loving you. It is going to take more than a couple of weeks for you to understand that.” I reached out and held your hand. You smiled at me.

“Why can you touch me and I feel it, but you can’t interact with anyone or anything else?”

“I don’t know either. It seems weird, doesn’t it? Maybe we’ll figure it out someday. Let’s just go home for now.”

=========================================

A/N: For those of you that might watch as much k-drama as I do, Song Wan Ha is character from Unemployed Romance. I love the character and think he is adorable so I'm using him in this story. I am of course taking creative liberty with the character, but that is where he is from. He is played by Seo Jun Young, so you can look him up if you want a visual for the character which I suggest because he is really attractive