The Camera Encounter

Is It Love Yet?

part of the 100 theme challenge (#18: camera)


Getting the perfect shot of the school for the yearbook contest was a particularly hard thing for Sumi to do with her 5-inch phone. She kept thinking to herself, if only I had an actual fancy camera. Picking the spot for the shot was already hard enough, but the lack of camera focus made it worse. Unsatisfied, she decided to take a break and headed to the park across the street from the school.

It was Sumi’s last year in high school and she wanted to leave something ‘nice’ behind for the school. She has her quirks but was never a part of the popular girls. Whenever someone needed a laugh or a spirited atmosphere, Sumi was always there and first to break the awkward silence. Aspiring to be a stylist, she took inspirations from her hobby in photography. Lately she wanted to be noticed for her creativity, so she took on the competition of having one of her photos be the cover of the school’s yearbook.

The fair breeze in the park was relaxing to Sumi. In fact, it encouraged her to try one more time to take a picture with her phone. Her flats treaded carefully on the grass, as she tried to not disturb the nature around her. She panned her phone until she noticed something odd in the picture. There was a body poking out from the grass. Sumi’s left hand quickly covered before she started to approach the body.

Is he…?

Sumi observed the body from afar. He was wearing nicely fitted black jeans, a grey v-neck t-shirt and a light jacket. Sumi glanced at the face - his eyes were closed. He had a familiar look to him, but she was still in a bit of shock from the sight of the body to remember where she knew him from. Immediately after Sumi lowered her body closer to him, his eyes flashed open. As he slowly sat up, his face was kept emotionless. 

"W-here am I…" He began.

Sumi crouched down beside him. “Are you okay?” He seemingly ignored her and brushed off the dirt on his arms.

"Hey, are you okay?" Sumi repeated with a slight annoyed tone. "What’s your name?" The guy’s mind was apparently in its own little world. When he finally realized that someone was beside him, their eyes finally met. A cold chill flowed through Sumi. 

"Sehun."