Book 2 Chp 4 (Kai)

The Twelve Protectors

Hi guys I'm back!!! And I'm almost on holidays so I'll be prepared to write heaps and have regular updates (I hope)

------------------------------

 

 

Kai

 

 

 

I was woken up at 7:30 by Kyungsoo rolling out of bed.

Ugh… too early. I thought, but I forced myself to get up. The cool air bit my bare chest, and I resisted the urge to fall back onto my pillow. I drifted in and out of sleep as my attraction to the plush pillow fought against the bright morning sunlight.

“Come on Kai, we’re all ready to go!” Someone yelled from outside the bedroom door. I pulled a shirt from the folds of the messy bed and tugged it over my bed-hair. I searched with my bare feet under the bed for my slippers, but I couldn’t find them. Oh, they’re already packed. Instead I pulled on some heavy socks and slipped into my black boots.

In the living room, everyone was already awake and dressed, although many of us wore black circles under our eyes, and most heads were covered with caps and beanies in pathetic attempts to hide unkempt hairstyles.

There was a large pile of suitcases stacked in the room, and I sighed as I realised it would be my job to move all of these. I recognised some of the luggage; the suitcases we all arrived here in, as well as many cardboard boxes haphazardly taped together and labelled with vague titles such as ‘kitchen stuff’ and ‘training’. The sight of the entirety of our belongings in a single pile depressed me; the materials of our lives could fit into a pile of cardboard boxes and old suitcases.

Kyungsoo rested his chin on my shoulder, rubbing his hand up and down my arm.

“It kind of feels like this is all we’ve got,” I say to Kyungsoo. “all our life’s belongings stacked in this small pile.”

“No,” Kyungsoo replied, his voice tickling my ear. “it’s all replaceable.”

“But it has photos and memories, and everything I’ve ever stolen, worked for or earned.”

“You can replace them by making new memories, and earn more things. In a time like this, it’s vital to not be too sentimental. I don’t linger in the past; I make sure I have a path for the future. The important thing to me is that even if you have nothing, you have something. Maybe all you have is the air in your lungs or the earth under your feet, or even my hand to hold. If you have that type of state of mind, you will never hit a dead end.” 

“What about this guy?” Sehun examined the large ice block in the middle of the pile, The B.A.P soldier still frozen in place inside. He hadn’t moved a centimetre since I’d last seen him, Xiumin’s impromptu prison working perfectly.

“I guess we’ll have to take him with us” Suho said “Or else our only other option is to leave him here.”

“What if he is seen? Or he has a tracking device? We didn’t think of that.” Chen says.

We all took a moment of silence to think about our inconsiderate mistake.

“I checked.” Luhan said, “Before we took him home, he was all clear.”

“Kai, just, start teleporting the things across.” Suho asked.

I walked over to the suitcases and took a couple in my hands. I fell into my teleportation state, and stepped into the empty, new apartment. The sounds of traffic nearby echoed from the front yard, a huge change from the empty neighbourhood of the warehouse.

It took a few minutes before everything was transferred across. I had begun moving across the members, until only Suho, Kyungsoo and I remained, as well as the frozen Daehyun.

“I’m going to miss this place.” Suho said with a sigh “It was perfect.”

We stood in silence for a few moments. The couch and dining table were pushed into the corner of the room, stacked with chairs and other large furniture, and without the fluffy rugs or thick carpets, sounds echoed through the large open area.

“Hey Kai, can you take me across next?” Kyungsoo asked, rubbing my arm. “I should unpack the kitchen gear before someone else does and messes up my order. I am the only one who uses the kitchen after all.”

“Sure, you can be next. “ I held onto his hands and stepped through into the new apartment closer to the city. Kyungsoo shook off the dizziness that comes with my power and let go of my hand.

“I, uh, I guess I’ll start unpacking.” He said sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck.

“Soo!” Baekhyun called from around the corner. “You left this in my bags!”

A bright blue projectile launches from around the corner, landing over the side of Kyungsoo’s face. He picks the cloth object off his nose and stretches out the blue underwear.

“Baekhyun! You know I only wear black!” Kyungsoo calls back angrily. “Now I’ll have to find out who owns these…”

I reach out and take the underwear from his hands, hastily stuffing them into my pockets. “They’re uh, they’re mine.” We stare at each other in awkward silence for a few too many seconds; Kyungsoo tries to stifle a grin.

“You should go get Suho and the B.A.Popsicle” Kyungsoo mentions.

“Right, I’ll uh, I’ll get to it.” Glad to retreat from the situation, I disappear in my trademark Smoke.

“Kai! Help!” Suho screams, breaking the peace.

Suho stands with his feet planted on either side of Daehyun’s prison, while the ice block sinks through the floor. I see a pair of hands grow out of the concrete floor and attempt to pull Daehyun further downwards. It must be Jongup, the B.A.P member who can walk through walls.

I race over to the struggle, kicking out at Jongup’s fingers, but my foot passes right through and crashes into the ice. As the ice disappears into the ground, the door blasts inwards and three men walk in the door, their faces covered with dark tinted masks and their arms cradling long guns before them. A fourth person walks through the door, I recognise him from TV as Zelo, the teenager.

“Hyung, run!” I yell as the masked men swung their guns towards my leader. I jumped sideways into the air, teleporting myself into Suho before disappearing again. Together we landed in the new living room, surrounded by familiar faces.

“Guys, what’s going on?” Tao asked.

“Attacked.” Suho panted “They got Daehyun back. And they’ve got big guns.”

I didn’t stay around for the rest of the conversation. For now, we know where some of our enemies are, and we are very low on information on them. I have to find out Zelo’s power.

I threw my body back through the void, teleporting myself into the warehouse apartment. I knocked myself into a startled Zelo, teleporting the two of us to the front yard, out of reach of his minion’s guns.

Zelo tucked his feet up and kicked my body away, rolling into the grass. I teleported again and landed swiftly on my feet, facing him from a safe distance. Damn, I wish I had thought of the time to grab a weapon. I think to myself.

I kick upwards, teleporting myself closer to close the gap as my foot reaches its full extension. Zelo quickly reaches up and twists my ankle downwards, rolling his body up the length of my leg to jab a heavy fist into my side. His punch only meets smoke as I disappear once again.

Come on, use that power. I urge, sending attack after attack at the boy, but he is too well trained in martial arts. He twists around, catching my attacks as he moves through my teleportation smoke. A metallic click sounds in my ear.

I teleport a few meters away to see Jongup standing in the doorframe, a handgun aimed towards me. On the street I hear a low chuckle as the leader, Yongguk, steps out of a heavily armoured vehicle, followed by Himchan and another B.A.P member, Youngjae.

I know when I’m defeated. There is no more benefit of me staying to fight here, if I move a single muscle I will be dead within seconds.

Lucky thing I don’t need to move a muscle in order to disappear.

 

-------

 

 

When I arrive back into the apartment I’m barraged with questions.

“Why did you go?”

“Where did you go?”

“What did you find out?”

“Did you know how stupid that was?”

“You could’ve died you know!”

Waves of guilt fell over me, but all I could respond with was “I thought it was necessary.”

Suho kneels down beside me.

“Kai, that was a stupid move,” he says, “but you’re here now, and from the looks of it you’re unharmed. Just don’t do it again, okay?”

“But I had to find out things.” I stammer, “Like that teenager’s powers, or how many men they have. We barely know anything?”

“But did you learn anything?”

I look down at my feet, ashamed. “Nothing.”

There’s an awkward silence as my friends realise that I risked my life but gained nothing. They slowly drift off, finding excuses to unpack or find their missing socks.

Suho stayed behind, adjusting himself so that he sat on the floor beside me.

“I spoke with the Tree last night.” He said, almost casually. “These B.A.P people, they’re dangerous. Very dangerous.”

I looked down at Suho and sat next to him, interested to hear what the Tree had to say.

“When the Tree locked up the Dark, she told me that she couldn’t lock him up completely. Parts of the Dark kept escaping, but that was a good thing. If the Dark is controlled completely, then the balance of good and bad would be overthrown. The safest balance between good and bad is 50-50. Last night, the Tree told me that she didn’t notice that some of the Dark that escaped its prison wasn’t showering the world in the Dark’s power. Instead, it was pooling together and preparing for a big, heavy strike. The Dark attempted to get out, but the Tree’s constraints didn’t allow the Dark to physically go very far. Instead, as a last-ditch resort, the Dark copied the Tree and made his own ‘protectors’. His protectors, while there may not be twelve, have all been possessed by the Dark in some way, and are all as dangerous as when the Dark possessed Luhan, or Kyungsoo. These dark-protectors haven’t gone through the stage of discovering their powers, letting them develop. No, they go straight to the dangerous- full-potential stage.”

“So These B.A.P guys, they’re the Dark protectors.

“Exactly. And we don’t know exactly what their full plan is, but it’s obvious that their plan involves us being dead. That’s why these guys are dangerous. That’s why you have to stay safe.”

 

 

-----------------

 

 

We sat around the apartment for days.  We all went grumpy, too afraid to step outdoors in fear of being recognised. The apartment was tiny compared to our previous living arrangements; there was no piano, or dishwasher, and we all had to take turns using the one bathroom. Even the TV was small, we often found ourselves crowded around the small screen to watch the news. Sadly, there wasn’t enough bedrooms either, so some of us slept on the couch or floor.

I was put into lockdown. I couldn’t teleport anywhere without asking Suho, and even then it was only short trips to the supermarket to buy milk or bread. Once our collective cravings for unhealthy food grew so big I was allowed to teleport into a fast food chain and disappear with their fry cooking basket full of hot chips. We even gave up on paying for the foods we steal; it had become too dangerous for me to even interact with the cashiers, just in case.

Each morning, Baekhyun would sit in his bedroom with Suho and work on an illusion. At about 8 am, he would walk out to the front door with his illusion and take it for a walk outside. His illusion was a man in his early forties, with an Indian skin tone. By allowing the man to go outside to empty the trash or check the mailbox, we gave the illusion that the people living in the house were not twelve fugitives but a foreign family who could not speak in Korean.

On the second day, I was allowed to take Yixing out to keep up his public appearances. His publicist had listed him to visit a children’s hospital in the centre of Seoul. I was given the allowance to teleport Yixing to a safe location to be picked up so that Yixing wasn’t connected with our current location. This continued every day, dropping Yixing off early in the morning and picking him up late each night.

Yixing was exhausted, being overworked but unable to say no to his dying patients. He was trapped in a moral restraint, so each day he would drag his hands over his face and heal the dark circles under his eyes, keeping up his appearance of being healthy and awake. By the time he arrived back home each night, the dark circles still plagued his face, growing darker as he grew more tired.

It was almost a week until Yixing returned late at night with a happy expression on his face.

“I got it! I got a way out!” He exclaimed, shaking a stack of papers in the air.

“What is it?” Kris asked eagerly, pulling his pants up as he exited the bathroom.

“Cambodia!” Yixing shouted “I’m being sent there for an entire month to help landmine victims!”

“Does this mean we’re coming too?” Chen asked attentively.

“Of course! Kai can take you guys across, there’s bound to be less people looking for us in Cambodia!”

“When are you scheduled to leave?” Suho asked.

“Tomorrow morning, at 10”

We all started frantically packing our bags, leaving what things we didn’t need behind. After a long argument over who should go, Chen and Sehun won the rights to fly in economy in the same plane as Yixing, acting as secret bodyguards. I had the horrible job of moving everybody across the world.

I stood in the apartment, almost empty once again. Yixing was the only one left in the apartment with me, the last to leave.

“You ready?” I asked, noticing the nervousness of my teammate.

“Yeah, I guess I’m looking forward to being able to sleep on the plane.” Yixing replied.

“No, I mean, not just for the trip. For all this, the Darkness, B.A.P, the running away.”

“Oh that, I’m terrified as .” Yixing said “I don’t want to experience it all over again; the whole Dark vs Light ordeal. Once was enough, but I’ve discovered that not everything happens the way you want it.” Yixing pauses, then holds out his hand to me. “Come on, let’s go, I’m ready.”

The sound of a heavy vehicle braking out front of the house drew our attention. Yixing walks over to the front window and quickly ducks under the windowsill.

“It’s them!” He hisses “Zelo and the metal dude, Himchan!”

I let out a quick curse and teleport myself beside Yixing, ducking out of sight of the window.

“Come on, let’s get out of here.” I say, taking Yixing’s hand in my own.

I teleport to the airport, leaving Yixing in an empty bathroom stall. I know that I’ve been told off before, but this time I know that I can force Zelo to use his power. Besides, the others have already been teleported over to Cambodia or the airport; If something happens to me they won’t need me for now.

“Yixing, I have to go. Just continue, okay?” I whisper to him, fixing his collar.

“Kai, no-“ but I have already teleported.

 

----------------

 

This time, I stop off at the kitchen first to grab a hefty knife. The blade is definitely not suited as a weapon; but the sharp metal edge continues through the black handle so I know the blade will not break under much pressure. I trust Kyungsoo to buy the strongest knives.

My next stop is on the roof. I walk to the edge, as close to the tall drop to the ground as I dare, and peer out for the B.A.P members. Himchan is waiting in the car, drumming his fingers on the dashboard. Perfect, I wouldn’t want him getting in the way.

Underneath me, Zelo peers through the eyehole in the door, trying to see if anyone’s home. Satisfied that nobody is at home, he holsters his pistol and pulls out two dainty implements. Crouching down to peer through the keyhole, he deftly unlocks the front door. I make a mental note to myself to learn how to pick locks.

Zelo cautiously steps into the apartment, his hands once again pulling the pistol from his waist. I watch from the roof as his back disappears into the apartment. I count to fifteen, forcing myself to count slowly to make sure he is far into the apartment before I teleport in with him.

My first action is to close the front door, hiding any actions that will happen from Zelo’s partner sitting in the car. I teleport my way around the house, hiding in the shadows to pinpoint Zelo’s location.

I attack when Zelo opens the bathroom door to check for one of the protectors.

When Zelo peers into the white-tiled room, I step out of the shadows and kick him hard in the back, unbalancing the teenager so he falls hard on the cold floor, his gun skittering across the bathroom. He struggles to pick himself up, bracing himself on the toilet seat.

I don’t leave him time to gather himself. I drive the knife downwards, using my free hand to brace the handle of the weapon and give it extra force. Zelo falls back to the ground and rolls in the cramped area, dodging the knife attack. My knife bounces off the tiles, jarring my hand.  I disappear into teleportation, appearing above Zelo’s head with my knife at the ready. He kicks out with his boots and pushes himself off the back wall, sliding on the tiles.

“Nobody to help you this time.” I say, catching my breath as I hold up Zelo’s radio. I drop it on the floor and smash it with my boot. Zelo subconsciously lowers a hand to check his belt where his radio used to hang. His face still showed the ferocity and determination of a killer.

I lunge forward again, swiping from the right with my kitchen knife. He strikes my wrist before my knife connects with him and the weapon clatters across the floor. I spin inwards, knocking him away from the bathroom with the weight of my body.

Zelo jumps at me in an attempt to tackle me, so I easily teleport out of the way. Zelo lands on his hands and knees, his fingers finding my fallen knife.

With a renewed ferociousness, Zelo attacks, his jacket flying behind him like a cape as he swipes and stabs with the kitchen knife. I teleport away, hiding in the kitchen.

For a moment, there is silence. With a quiet growl, Zelo hunches down and stalks through the house warily, preparing for an attack.

He wasn’t prepared for a frying pan.

The heavy, makeshift weapon blows him across the face as I step out of my teleportation smoke. He falls backwards, and I stomp on his wrist to make him release the knife. I raise the pan above me as I kneel on his chest, pinning his arms down.

Zelo bends his legs around my neck and flings me backwards before I could follow through with my attack. Pinned under his legs, I lose my frying pan, the heavy instrument slipping from my fingers. I teleport away, appearing a few metres from where Zelo is picking himself up. I hear a metallic clang under my boot and I bend down to pick up the knife.

Zelo comes towards me again with an aggressive punch to the throat, I teleport behind him and slash out with the knife. This time I create a large gash across his upper arm. Zelo lets out a low, guttural moan of pain, clutching his arm as blood starts to seep through.

For a moment, I feel sick. I just cut this boy; a mere teenager. I drop the knife in my astonishment at my actions. The kitchen tool-turned weapon clatters on the floor, and Zelo turns towards me with rage in his eyes.

Go on, use that power. I urge. Show me what makes you so dangerous. I obviously don’t have it in me to kill you, so I may as well find out something important.

Zelo grins menacingly at me, crouching down into a low battle stance. I’m suddenly reminded of what is currently flowing through this boy, the darkness that possesses him, talks to his poisoned brain.

Zelo uses his power.

Out of shock, I teleport to Cambodia.

 

 

 

 

 

 

-------------

 

So what did you guys think? This chapter was a little but difficult to write... I think one a [major plot development] happens I'll be able to write more smoothly, i think I'm rushing it a bit to get to the interesting parts.

So please tell me your thoughts on the story so far! What do you think Zelo's power is? I'm really interested to see what you will all guess! Do you like the fight scenes?