Book 2 Chp 1 (Xiumin)

The Twelve Protectors

Xiumin

 

 

“We’re celebrating, we just got engaged” I said to the young waitress, holding Luhan’s hand from across the table in my slender fingers. Twisting my fingers slightly, the white crystal glints in the orange lighting of the regal themed restaurant, and I see the girl’s eyes attracted to the beautiful stone.

“Aww I’m so happy for you,” the girl squeals, and I make my largest eyes and puff out my cheeks slightly, trying to make myself as adorable as possible. “I’ll be back shortly”

Luhan smirked at me over the flickering candle between us as I watch the girl briskly walk back to the bar. “It’s been three months, Minnie, you can’t keep saying that to get free drinks.”

Sure enough, the waitress returns with a bottle of white wine in a stand up ice cooler, pouring it into each of our large cups and resting it in the bed of ice beside the table. I raise my glass and clink it with Luhans, who finally cracks a little smirk at my trick.

“You could at least help a bit, bat those beautiful doe eyes, maybe we’d get even more expensive drinks”

“I think we’ve received free drinks from just about every bar, restaurant and café within Seoul.” Luhan says, “And doe eyes? I thought I was manly?”

“Deer are manly!” I exclaim “beautiful and elegant too! I think it’s your spirit animal.”

“Well if I’m a deer, that makes you…. A baozi.” Luhan states firmly.

“That’s not even an anima-“

“baozi”

“How do I even resemble a-”

“Baozi” Luhan puffs out his cheeks and pokes them with his index fingers.

“Can I at least be something with a heartbeat or-“

“Charsiu Bao”

“How about something dangerous with claws and teeth like a lion or a bear or a-“

“Bao”

“That’s mean…”

Luhan reaches across the table and pokes my cheeks before holding them in his hands. Standing up he leans forward and gives me a peck on the lips. “My baozi.”

We both end up laughing until our food is set out on the table.

“So if I’m a bao and you’re a Deer, what are the others?”

“That’s easy,” Luhan says through a mouthful of food, noodles disappearing between his lips. “Kris is a dragon, because he used to fly and he looks so dangerous and angry, and Chanyeol told me he was nicknamed a phoenix is highschool because he accidentally set himself of fire and of his bird-mark.”

“Yixing has to be a unicorn” I pitch in, and Luhan uses the time to shovel more rice into his bowl with chopsticks as he listens “Because he heals people and he’s so…. majestic”

“Majestic?”

“And magical.” I confirm.

“I think Chen slightly resembles a camel.” Luhan says

“No, I think a dinosaur, like a T-Rex or something” I speak through puffed cheeks full of chicken.

“How about both? A Camelsaur?”

“Dinocamel?”

Luhan covers his mouth to stop flying rice from hitting the table as he snorts. I begin to reconsider calling him elegant like a deer.

“Tao has to be a panda, like the movie” I say

“Which movie?”

“Kung Fu panda of course!”

“That’s not even the same as wushu!”

“Plus Tao gets really cuddly around Kris.”

“Fine, Tao is a panda, as long as Baekhyun is a strip of bacon.” Luhan agrees

“Bacon, Baozi, I think you don’t know what an animal is, Lulu.”

“And Suho is a mother.”

“I really don’t think you’re understanding these, Luhan. A spirit animal is supposed to be the animal inside someone.”

“I still think that Baekhyun should be bacon and Suho does have an inner spirit-mother.” Luhan pouts, and uses his doe-eyes to convince me.

“Fine…”

“If you’re so good at this, then what is Kai?”

“Well, Kai would want to be something dangerous, like a wolf.”

“Except he can be a little goofy without realising it” Luhan points out.

“Exactly. I say he is a toy poodle.”

“With curls and everything?”

“And a bow.” I confirm.

“A bow put on by Kyungsoo, who is…”

“The devil!”

“That’s right! He can be so evil sometimes!”

We burst out once again in fits of laughter, and Luhan clutches his stomach to stop the pains of the ab workout.

“Who’s left?” He asks.

“Just Sehun.”

“I can’t pick what he is… he seems bored sometimes…”

“But other times he is a little , and messes around with people.”

“How about we ask the others?”

“Sounds like a plan.”

We look down at the table, filled with empty plates and glasses.

“So what’s next? Ice skating?” Luhan asks, lifting his hand for the bill.

“I was thinking about a massage? Like a couples one?”

 

 

 

 

------------------

 

 

 

The spa place was just as extravagant as the restaurant. The walls were lit with candles and soft orange lights, and the air was thick with the scent of perfumes and flowers. We walked barefoot through the thick carpet, our toes sinking into the plush floor, towels draped around our waists. Through the calming silence I could hear the sound of a small trickle of water from a hidden fountain.

We were let into a small room, the walls covered with a thick curtain and the lighting a dark glow. We each lay on tables with our heads looking down through the little holes as the masseurs worked down our bodies. Our arms once reached across the gap between our tables to intertwine our fingers together, but they now hang limply towards the floor, our muscles too relaxed to continue holding up. Every now and then I would hear Luhan’s breath tighten as a new muscle would relax, or small moans come from his mouth as he falls into a trance.

After a long time of massage, I could no longer estimate how long it had been since I had lied down on the table, the steady kneading on my back and the rhythmic breaths of Luhan beside me being the only measurement of time I had. I heard the masseurs leave, presumably to retrieve more oil or incense, and I was alone in the room with Luhan again.

I turned my head on the side and Luhan did the same, looking into each other’s eyes without moving much of our relaxed bodies. His skin glistened from the oil in the flickering light, and his hair was messed up and plastered to his forehead from the heat and pressure of the table. I could feel that my hair was the same.

“This is nice.” Luhan said sleepily, reaching out again to hold my hand.

I take his hand it mine and entwine our fingers together again, breathing in the smell of perfumed oils and flowers. Our eyes close once again, on the brink of sleep, enjoying the relaxation.

A few minutes later I hear the masseurs walk back into the room, and I turn my head to the table so I face the ground once again.

In the almost silence I hear the squeak of a leather jacket and the quiet clicks of something metallic. I abruptly open my eyes and I see heavy black combat boots, scraping mud into the soft carpet. I hear Luhan gasp in surprise and then he pushes me off the table.

I roll a few meters in the carpet, losing my towel somewhere in the telekinetic push. I sit up as Luhan arches his back and lifts his arm, and the sounds of two silenced bullets pierce my post-massage trance.

The intruder, who we thought was a masseur, was wearing all black, his fingerless studded gloves clasping a pistol heavy with the weight of a silencer. His hair is a dusty blonde, his top lip curled upwards in a harsh snarl.

Luhan drops his hand and two bullets land soundlessly on the thick carpet. The man spins on his heels, and I duck behind a tall potted plant as his bullets tear apart the ceramic. I hear the gun go flying away into the soft ripples of the curtained wall as Luhan rips the weapon from the man’s fingers. I attempt to roll back towards Luhan, safe from the bullets when I feel something wrapping around my ankle. Branches of the plant I’m hiding behind come to life, like an angry sea monster and tangle itself around my limbs. I cry out and try to protect my body from the sharp twigs as they scratch and bind my body.

Through the thick branches of the plant I see the man moving like a protector, his fingers splayed before him as the flowers and petals scattered around the room fly towards Luhan, who rolls off his table to dodge the rose thorns and somehow dangerous petals.

The intruder runs through the curtains, heading towards the exit and Luhan races through to the next room, holding his towel around his waist as he runs. I hear the sounds of crashes and screams as the fight continues in the next room.

The plant releases its tight grip on me, and I find that with enough strength I can tear the branches from my body. I roll onto the floor, my body covered in small scratches from the prickly branches and scrabble towards the next room.

I see the room in disarray, the numerous potted plants originally for decoration have overgrown into fearsome vines, and luhan fights back with the other objects, candles, books, pots. The ladies at the front desk crouch behind the counter, covering their ears and screaming in terror. Luhan’s towel is held up on his waist through an unseen force, and his shirtless torso and face is covered with tiny scratches from thorns. His upper arm and wrist already shows the dark bruising from a constricting vine.

“Luhan!” I yell above the clashing of noise, alerting my presence.

He whips his arms around, and a giant bowl of water that once held floating candles and flowers is flung through the air, covering the intruder head to toe in scented water. I click my fingers and the water freezes. The man tenses his muscles and tries to smash through the ice, but his body is thin and not as muscled, his joints stay stuck.

Under my mind’s guidance, the ice holding his body in the position grows, gathering the moisture in the air to thicken the bonds until we were certainly safe from the attacker.

In the silence I can hear Luhan’s panting, and the trickle of a hidden fountain somewhere.

“Can you get some pants on? I can see everything.” Luhan asks. He's okay.

 

 

 

 

 

--------------------

Hi guys! I figured out a really good plot for the sequel!! 

Also, i hit over 200 followers and 12,000 views! you guys are the best!

I know this was a bit short, but the way I was going to write this one it was going to either change POV half way or be a bit short.

Anyways, please tell me what you think about this new assassin guy and  what you all think will happen next!

I'll try to write the next chapter soon, I hate leaving you guys with a billion questions for too long!

Also --- TRES IMPORTANT --- I was looking for a beta reader, because I've been reading through past chapters and theres SO many mistakes... if anyone wants to be my beta reader, who actually helps to correct spelling/grammar/plotholes please come forward ~~