one

hold onto me

I hate this town.

This boring town that's filled with memories I want to forget about. Every morning, I go to school, with people giving me the judgemental look, cigarettes breaks with Ji Yong, then go back to the home I don't even want to go to. I felt a sudden pain in the chest as I thought, " Will something ever change ? " 

" Top hyung, stop! " Ji Yong shrieked and I looked up to see him running towards me.

I removed my numb hand from the boy's face and stood up, looking down at him who was now laying on the road in pain. Blood was dripping down his forehead and his cheeks were red from all the punching and slapping. 

" Go home, kid. And don't ever let me see you again. " I said and brushed my bruised left cheek that he smacked on a while ago. 

" I will come back with my gang, just wait! " He muttered and scrambled to his feet quickly. I watched him disappearing into the corner of the street as Ji Yong showed up.

" Oh my god, " Ji Yong looked on the blood spilled on the ground. " What did you do again, hyung ? "

" That kid deserved those punches. " I rolled my eyes and removed my cigarette box from my pocket. 

" You can't just go around fighting with whoever you want, hyung. " Ji Yong sighed and pulled out a cigarette for himself.

I shrugged. Who would care if I fought with someone and got hurt ? I wanted to ask but I kept it in my mind.

" Are you listening to me ? " He asked, lighting our cigarettes.

" Geez, Ji, you're so annoying. " I blew a puff of smoke and felt a release in me. " I'm going, bye. "

" What, where ? " I could hear him screaming my name from the back but I walked down the street, ignoring him. I quickly took another long puff and then threw my cigarette away. 

People walked past me all along the street, their gaze wouldn't keep to themselves. They think I am that kind of typical bad teenager on the street looking for troubles and joining gangs just for fun. But, I'm far more worse than that. I looked for troubles and fought around just to have something to hold onto or else I wouldn't even still be alive. I kept myself busy and tired so I don't have to think about anything else. 

I was so lost in my thoughts that I almost bumped into this red-haired girl who was standing right in front of me. She looked around my age but she was a head shorter than me.

" Don't stand in the middle of the way, " I mumbled and shoved past her but  she spun around to hold my wrist right before I continue walking.  

" Your face, " She looked up at me and our gaze locked. Her eyes were dark brown and beautifully warm and her face was pale. I would've thought she was sick if her eyes wasn't sparkling in wonder. 

" What ? " I wanted to yank my wrist off her but I just couldn't do it. I don't think anyone have ever held me like that; so gently. 

" Did you fight with someone ? " She titled her head and her red bangs fell to the side of her forehead.

I was starting to get annoyed. Who was she thinking she was to fill me with questions ? 

" What's your problem ? " I pulled my wrist off her small hand. But, she ignored my question and smiled at me. Even though her lips are smiling, her eyes looked as if they're smiling more. 

" Does it hurt ? " She reached up her hand to my face and touched the bruised cheek softly. I was holding in my breath and found myself in a lost of words. 

" I-I- It doesn't! " I slapped her lower arm away and took a last look at her face before I walked off.  She was beautiful and so gentle; almost like a gift from god. I laughed at my own thoughts as I shoved past people in the large crowd of the street. Why would someone like her want to encounter with troubled people like me ? It felt like a dream, having someone to care about me. 

I hoped and prayed she wasn't just a dream.