Careen

Rent a Boat

 

Long long wait and I can’t say how sorry I am for not updating for so long. But I had to have my wisdom teeth extracted and then my computer decided to break down. And when I finally fixed it I kept hitting writer’s block >_<  but I finally wrote another chapter.  Soooo…=)

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

“You can have this boat and I’ll just forget about this whole ordeal. You can go wherever you want to go… but please… just drop me off at the next port.”

 

“Deal”

Eric’s nonchalant answer had made Minwoo’s eyes narrow in suspicion, but he dismissed it in the prospect of getting off of the hell trap he called a boat in a couple of more days… hopefully.

 

 

             ~~~~~~

 

 

With his worries dissipated somewhat, Minwoo found himself easing into the other man’s presence. Despite that initial clash between them, Eric seemed to have a lot in common with him- the drive, the passion for his work, the jovial character. A short couple of hours in the other man’s presence and Minwoo was already in awe with his larger-than-life attitude. Eric’s reputation of a good businessman and his ability of drawing people in was well known all around the country. And in that small amount of time he had known the man he got to experience it firsthand.

 

“I’m curious…” Eric stated while they were watching the sunset.

Late into the evening found both of them lying side by side on the deck, bathed in the orange glow of the setting sun. Minwoo craned his neck to look back at Eric, taking in the man’s chiseled features that were emphasized by the warm orange glow.

“Why didn’t you call for help?”

Minwoo turned his gaze back to the sky. He was silent for a moment contemplating what to say. He surely couldn’t tell this man that he knew nothing about how to operate the boat, could he? He couldn’t give up his secret- his weakness away just like that.

 “I… I couldn’t just leave you there… you know… in that state…” his mumbled reply gained a scoff from Eric.

Minwoo’s eyebrows quirked in annoyance. Sitting up, he turned to glare at the man.

“What???”

Eric was seemingly unruffled by the sudden change of temper.

“Nothing… just that, you could hit me without a second thought but you couldn’t leave me lying there?”

“YAH… You were the one wh…”

“I know, I know. I’m sorry.” Eric quickly cut through his words trying to diffuse the oncoming fight.

Minwoo decided to let it slide- just this once. Wrapping his hands around his legs he stared into the rapidly growing darkness. The last fading sun rays were slowly giving way to hundreds of thousands of bright, twinkling stars. His earlier burst of anger had not managed to shake the calmness he was feeling inside. The last couple of months had been a never-ending downward spiral for him. And the past couple of hours had been the closest to how his life previously was.

It was quite strange actually.

Here he was, in the middle of nowhere, with no idea where he was going, with a total stranger, feeling completely at ease with the current situation: his past shortcomings entirely forgotten for that short couple of hours. He welcomed that feeling. He needed a break from all the heartache, all that disappointment. And as his friend had said, he was long overdue a holiday. If this was how he was going to feel throughout the whole trip, he would not be unhappy to regard this as one.

 

“Hey, can I move into that empty cabin?”  Eric was, yet again, the one to break the silence.

“What?”

“I don’t have a place to sleep. So I thought if it would be alright with you then maybe I could move into the other cabin?”

“Well, my opinion didn’t seem to matter to you when you went rummaging in that room last time” his reply was accompanied with a pointed look at Eric’s ‘stolen’ clothing.

At least this time Eric had the decency to look a bit sheepish.

“Yeah, sorry about that. I should’ve asked you, in fact I wanted to… but you were pretty out of it earlier. Sooooo…”

Instead of replying Minwoo laid back down.

“So… can I move into the cabin then?”

“Whatever. Where did you sleep last night anyway?”

“I didn’t really sleep last night. Couldn’t just leave you lying there unconscious, could I?” he quickly added to Minwoo’s questioning look.

“Couldn’t let anything happen to you under my watch.”

The last part was muttered under his breath- almost like it was not meant to be heard. But with no loud noises to drown it out, Minwoo heard it loud and clear.

A strange warmth started to spread through his body with Eric’s words.

When was the last time someone had cared for him like that?

 

He quickly rolled onto his side, turning his body away from the other man. His words seemed to have a strange effect on his body and the last thing he needed was for Eric to pick up on the sudden change of his body language. He closed his eyes and willed himself to calm down.  

 

Moments later Minwoo heard Eric shifting beside him before his voice cut through the air.

“By the way…” Minwoo turned his face towards the voice and opened his eyes- only to find himself inches away from Eric’s face. He was caught off guard and he almost went cross-eyed trying to focus on the face in front of him.

Eric had rolled over onto his stomach and was propped up on his arms, peering over Minwoo’s shoulder to get a good look at his face. Thus placing him only inches away from his oblivious companion.  

 “…you never gave me your name”

It took a moment to process what the other man said and his mouth automatically blurted out the answer.

“Minwoo… it’s Lee Minwoo”

Eric pulled back, albeit a fraction, regarding him with such an intense gaze that Minwoo almost thought he would lean down and kiss him. This thought made that strange warmth from earlier spread throughout his body. His face started to heat up and he knew he was blushing. He hoped against hope that it would be invisible in the encroaching darkness and that Eric would miss it. But by the strange glint in Eric’s eyes he knew he had been caught. 

Clearing his throat he closed his eyes and turned his face away, trying his best to show the other man that he was not bothered by the close proximity. A couple of seconds later he felt Eric move away, probably assuming his previous position of lying on the deck.

“Lee Minwoo…” Eric drawled out.

The laughter in his voice made Minwoo cringe internally- how did this man turn him into a blushing school girl with nothing else but a simple gaze? This time there was something else in his voice, something almost seductive.

Was this man trying to flirt with him?  

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Lee Minwoo”