On-Board

Rent a Boat

 Hey here’s the next chapter =)

Sorry for the long wait but I had to limit my computer-using-time due to heavy rain and thunder so editing this chapter took a long time. -_-

 

 

My knowledge about boats and ships come purely from watching movies and searching the internet. So apologies in advance for any mistakes in recognizing the correct terms and parts.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

If he had to escape, then why not in a boat?

 

 

********************************

 

 

 

It was the perfect escape method.

It would be quicker than taking a train or a plane or driving. And it would make it harder for his father to trace his tracks.

Eric was not a sea-type of person. He didn’t really favour his luck with boats or ships; not even for fun. Everyone close to him knew that. So the sea would be the last place his father would think of looking for him.

It was the best choice.

Patting his own back for his brilliant brain and quick thinking Eric made his way through the dock looking for a suitable boat.

 

 

                                                                                                  ~~~~~~

 

 

Choosing a boat proved to be a harder task than he had first thought.

To begin with most of them were already in bad condition and looked like they would crumble the moment he stepped on board. He had to walk around for hours before settling on a medium size boat that looked relatively good and, well, solid.

Plus Eric liked the feel of it. Although it was not one of the most luxurious boats Eric had seen- which were a handful (being a non-sea person, he barely spared a second glance at them) - he felt a connection with it that he hadn’t felt with anything else. Painted in a light orange it gave off a live and vibrant feeling, entirely different from the way he was feeling about his life at the moment.

 

He suddenly remembered he had to go back for food and cloths. His departure from the city was so abrupt and unintended that he was only left with the cloths he wore as his sole possessions. And he would have to stock up on food and water if he was going to sea. But that stuff had to wait.

First things first, he had a boat to check out.

Being a non-sea person also meant that he never paid any real attention to the vehicles that were used for that type of transportation. Although he had a general idea about how to steer a boat, his knowledge about them were mostly non-excitant.  He had a lot to learn about- and quickly at that, if he wanted to get away from his father without any complications.

 

Hauling himself up onto the deck he looked around. Despite looking old the boat was actually in perfect condition. There were actually some signs that showed the boat was used recently and that prompted Eric to act faster.

The past couple of hours of exhausting-walks-around-the- dock-looking-for the-perfect-boat would be futile if the owner showed up when he finally found ‘the one’.

 

He made his way into the cockpit and found something that made his heart sing with happiness.

The keys were in the ignition.

And there went all the worries he had about jumpstarting the boat.

What sort of an idiot would leave the keys in the ignition Eric didn’t know, But he knew that he would not be as grateful to anyone else than he was to that person right now. 

Without thinking twice he grabbed the keys and put them in his coat pocket: unlike the owner of the boat he was not an idiot. And unlike the owner of the boat he didn’t leave keys lying around in the most obvious places.

Snickering under his breath he walked around the small room, studying the maps hanged on the walls and inspecting the small buttons on the control panel near the helm.

After a while he headed back out and then descended the stairs into the next level of the boat.

 

 

 

                                                             ~~~~~~

 

 

 

He found himself in a small lounging area.

It was dark inside. with only the sunlight streaming through the staircase to illuminate the place. Despite that he somehow managed to get a good look around.

The room was separated into two sections by a counter; a small sitting area and a kitchenette. 

Wooden cupboards were fixed on to the wall and a couple of stools surrounded the counter. On the other half there was a small sofa facing the glass portholes that looked out into the ocean. At the moment the curtains were drawn over them which explained the lack of light.

To his left there were a couple of doors which probably led into the cabins.

It was not the grandeur Eric found spending his daily life in. Everything including the furniture was shabby and was screaming in a need of a new makeover. But strangely he found himself at ease- something he had not felt in his own home. The strong sense of belonging he felt in this seclude place was something that he had lacked while he was still among his family. For a moment leaving home felt like the best thing he had ever done. 

And it felt… good.

Shaking off his train of thoughts Eric opened the door closest to him and peered inside.

 

It was a small room with only a desk, a chair, a chest of drawers and a berth to make up for the sparse furniture. Once again Eric could feel the big difference it had with his daily life. His room back home was more than ten times the size of this and was filled with stuff that even he couldn’t remember. But it was a good kind of a difference and he found himself welcoming it.

But his elation was short lived.

The room was messy. Way messier for an abandoned boat. 

The berth was unmade. The overflowing garbage bin was obviously used for target practice. Stacks of paper covered the table and there were pens without their clips like someone had been there writing just moments before Eric walked in.

When he first saw the keys in the ignition Eric had thought that the owner must have forgotten them there, but he had not considered the possibility of the man living in the boat. 

But that did not matter anymore. This boat was off his limits.

He needed to leave.

Right now!

 

He sighed, feeling dispirited at the mere thought of the long tiring hours he would have to spend walking around in the boat yard…  again.

Shoulders sagged Eric turned to leave.

 

His retreat was cut short when he heard a high pitched yell behind him.

Before he could even fathom what was going on something heavy pounced on to his back…