Give No Quarter

Rent a Boat

 

90° bow... 

I'm so soooooo sorry for taking so long. : '(   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

Minwoo let out a frustrated yell as he violently scratched the paper he was working on with his pen, almost tearing it into shreds. He then crumpled the paper into a ball and threw it at the overflowing wastepaper bin at the far corner of the room. It only managed to fuel his anger when the paper ball missed its target and landed on the floor, again.

He seemed to be doing the exact same things for the past couple of days.

Writing… tearing… crumpling… throwing… getting angry… writing... tearing... crumpling... throwing... getting angry... - it felt like his life was in a loop...

Pity that neither of his skills, writing or target shooting, had improved with all the practice was having. If anything they seemed to be downgrading by the minute.

And it frustrated him to no extent.

Why he couldn’t rhyme a couple of words together he had no idea. He was doing fine before. He was doing awesome actually. He earned money by rhyming and connecting words together. He made beautiful music, He wrote beautiful lyrics. He was a sought out composer.

But a couple of months ago his life had fallen into a ditch- a one that he had never been able to get out of. His life had gone from happy-content and loving into lonely-homeless and miserable in a matter of hours. The money that had always seemed to be there had vanished and with it, so did most of his friends.

Before, he had had a bright attitude about his life. He thought he could overcome anything thrown at him. He loved life. He loved himself.

But now he felt tired- both mentally and physically.

His eye lids were heavy, trying to droop shut whenever he let his guard down. His back hurt from sitting on the hard wooden chair for so long. His stomach grumbled with hunger but he couldn’t get himself to get up from that chair and into the kitchen to eat something. He was not gaining anything from this whole ordeal except a poor health. 

His best friend had seen this and had tried to drag him out into the real world, to have some fun. He had lectured Minwoo for hours about what he was missing out on and how he jeopardized his own life by acting this way. 

Truthfully Minwoo wanted nothing more than to leave the confines of the small room he was trapped in and run back to his previous life.

 But he couldn’t.

No matter how much he yearned for it, he just couldn’t.

And he couldn’t tell his friend about all his troubles. It would make his nagging even worse and the last thing Minwoo wanted to do was argue with his only remaining friend. So he kept his mouth shut. And after a couple of minutes of tense silence his friend had left, leaving him all alone in the suffocating stillness of the small room.

Sighing for the nth time he ran his fingers through his messy hair trying to break the knots that had formed.

When had he last styled it? He used to, all the time- before all this came crashing down.

 Hell when had he last combed his hair?

 

Minwoo looked around the small space he called a bedroom. He took in the sight of the worn clothes on the bed, the clothes and paper balls strewn across the floor, the overflowing garbage bin, the clutter on the chest of drawers. The room was messy. If this was a couple of months ago something like this would have made him freak out.

He was clean. He was precise. He was perfect.

Or at least he used to be.  

Looking around the room it was like he was not himself any more. This wasn’t the person he wanted to be. 

This was the life of someone who he would cross the street to avoid. The life of a loser, a loiterer, a no-gooder.

This was not Lee Minwoo. 

 

Maybe his friend was right. He needed to set his priorities straight. He needed to get his life back to what it was, before everything was lost. And perhaps he should start now.

He pushed himself up off the chair, mind resolved as he stretched out his arms above his head working out the kinks. He bent down to collect the clothes on the floor when he suddenly heard a loud thump.

He straightened up immediately, staying quietly as possible listening to any further noises.

Then he heard it.

Footsteps…

Someone was walking on his boat.

Fear started to slowly creep through his veins. This place was abandoned. No one came here except for him and his friend and Minwoo could tell that it was not his friend just by listening to the footsteps. Besides his friend was the boisterous type, someone who would announce his presence at the top of his lungs.

So that left him with only one possible conclusion.

A thief.

Well he couldn’t exactly label him as a thief without even seeing the man, but what business would someone with a good character have in an abandoned boatyard…?

Right...?

 

Minwoo stood stock still, listening to the footsteps overhead.

It amazed him how the simple sound of someone walking scared him so. He was a good fighter- he learned boxing for crying out loud. But this was different. He was all alone and he was cornered.

The footsteps suddenly stopped and Minwoo in a breath and listened intently.

A couple of minutes passed. 

Nothing- complete silence.

Perhaps whoever it was had left the boat?

He was just about to sigh in relief when he heard it again.

But this time it was the sound of someone descending the staircase, getting closer and closer.

 

                                                                                        ~~~

 

Minwoo was never satisfied with his physical build. He was small, he was short and among his group of friends he was always the smallest. His presence didn’t give off any threatening feeling, what with his shrimp-eyes and the thousand watt smile. People always labeled him as cute… and well y, but not threatening, never threatening. Many looked down on him. That was one of the reasons he took up boxing- to make up for the things he lacked in his physical appearance.

His small stature was always his shame- the chink in his ‘cool-guy’ image. But now he found himself thanking the gods for his small body as he squeezed himself into the small gap between the door and the wall. This way if the door opened he could go unnoticed.

He in a breath, bracing himself against the wall as the footsteps seemed to grow closer and closer and then stop altogether in front of his room.

The door knob turned and with a small click the door opened.

 

                                                                                         ~~~

 

Minwoo watched, eyes wide, as the intruder took a step into the room. As he eyed the man from behind he thanked himself for the brilliant idea of hiding. The intruder in front of him was tall and well built. Even with his fighting skills, Minwoo was sure that, should a physical fight occur he would probably be the loser. The man had his hand on the door knob as he surveyed the room. Looking for what Minwoo didn’t know but the man didn’t look like the everyday typical thief- not that Minwoo had seen any. He just thought that their clothing would be much more deviated from the ones that the intruder was wearing. He was dressed in an expensive looking suit and if his back view was anything to go by, Minwoo could tell he was one good looking block.

Minwoo mentally berated himself when he realized where his thoughts were heading. This person was a thief good looking or not!

The man was still standing in the doorway looking around the room. It looked like he was contemplating something. Then without any further actions he exhaled loudly turning around to leave the room.

Minwoo didn’t know what made him do it. Maybe it was that hot-bloodedness that always ran through his veins, maybe it was his fighting spirit, maybe it was the ‘back side of that good looking man’, or maybe it was just his pride.

But whatever it was he suddenly found himself yelling at the top of his lungs as he came out of his hiding place.

The man froze on his tracks.

It was now or never…

He broke into a run and without any hesitation jumped onto the man’s broad back, wrapping his arms around his neck in a choke hold. It only took about half a millisecond for the man to retaliate. He started thrashing around like a wild animal, trying to throw Minwoo off his back. And all Minwoo could do was to tighten his hold around the other's neck and hang on for dear life.

He was doing a pretty good job of subduing the man, or so he thought until he found himself flying across the room and then everything went black.