Avast!

Rent a Boat

 

I somehow keep going off track with this story and I have no idea why  =(  so updates may not be consistent as I’d/you'd like them to be. But I promise I’ll try my best  :D

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

The stars were twinkling brightly in the inky black sky. A wispy cloud would occasionally drift by, momentarily marring the white rays of the moon but nevertheless adding to the beauty of the night. The wind was soothing; the gentle sound of the waves comforting. The smell of the ocean cajoled him into a dreamlike state where everything was perfect. Before, everything about the sea had made him feel lonely, had made him feel like he was cut off from the rest of the world. But today it was comforting. Even the silence was comforting.

Maybe his new companion had played a big part in that drastic change in him.

 

Eric had retired below deck a long time ago muttering something about ‘getting acquainted’ with his new room.

Whatever that meant.

Although Minwoo had never really given any verbal permission for him to use the room as his own Eric had taken his silence as all the permission he needed.

Not that Minwoo minded of course. It was a spare room after all and it was not like his friend was going to need it any time soon. So Eric might as well get something out of it.

He heard the man scrambling around and then loud screeching noises like furniture being dragged around. And for a moment he had felt like going down and berating him. He had just asked permission to sleep in the room, not to change anything. But then he’d given up on that thought.

What was the harm in shifting some furniture around? It was not like he was going to get the boat back. On the next port he’ll get off. And take a bus or a train or something back to his city; go back to his old life. And Eric will continue on his way.

That was the promise.

However the thought of the other man leaving left him feeling hollow inside.

 

And he was confused. He had barely known this man for more than a couple of days, hadn’t even liked him for the most part of the hours they’ve spent together. But even the mere thought of separating from him felt daunting.

It was quite funny actually, how quick he’d taken a liking to Eric and how unwilling he was to let go of him. He had made Minwoo come alive in ways he’d never thought was possible. To put it all simple, Eric was the first man that had managed to make him blush with only a couple of flirtatious lines.

And he regretted asking the man to drop him off in the next dock. He didn’t want to let go of this yet. But how pathetic would it be to ask Eric to take him on his little expedition. What was he supposed to say?

“can you take me with you because you make my heart beat faster and I don’t want to let you go yet”…???

How pathetic was that?

They would reach a port in a couple of more days, or maybe in a couple of more hours. But either way he’d have to get off the boat sooner or later. And he’d have to let this stranger go. But in this moment, place and time he was content. And he tried hard not to think too much about the next morning.

 

 

                       ~~~~~~

 

 

Eric made a big fuss out of meals. Breakfast, lunch and dinner were such special occasions to him and he wanted Minwoo to be a part of it. Minwoo on the other hand failed to see the importance of such actions. For him it was just a 'meal'. There was no need to set the tables, no need to waste loads of precious hours to sit around and… talk. For him meals usually meant instant food or take-aways or if he was not in the mood, then nothing at all. But Eric, much like his appearance, was different from him like night was from day. He had looked in horror at him, like he’d just confessed to a murder, when he had said he’d eat his dinner in his room. And after gaping at him for a couple of solid seconds Eric had taken it upon himself to change his ‘attitude’ about having a ‘family’ dinner.

When Eric, in all seriousness, had gone into a full blown lecture about family values and how “eating together strengthened family ties” it had taken every ounce of his self-restraint to not to roll around the floor laughing hysterically. But Eric had been adamant and Minwoo somehow saw the importance it held for him. So he’d kept his snide remarks to himself. And when Eric had asked him to stay and watch he had decided to humor the man, sitting through the one and a half hours it had taken Eric to prepare their dinner.

 

“soooo…. You got a girlfriend?”

Minwoo ignored him.

“ummm… boyfriend then???”

This time he glared at the man.

“Alright, alright. I get it. Too personal… geez…”

“…”

“You don’t talk much do you?”

“I do. With people I like.”

“Well, it certainly didn’t look that wa- “

“ -hasn’t anyone told you it’s rude to talk while eating?”

“Well, no actually. My mother taught me it was rude to talk with my mouth full and as you can see- ” Eric gestured towards his widely open mouth trying to emphasize the fact.

“ -my mouth isn’t full”

Minwoo just sneered at the man in reply.

 

He knew his answers were bordering on rudeness. But that was what he was aiming for. He had decided to snuff out whatever feelings that were growing towards Eric. And what best way to do that than to ignore the man and be snarky? Drive him away with all his rudeness.

He didn’t like it; not one bit. But a relationship or anything close to something like that was bound to leave him heartbroken in the end. That’s what happened usually. And he didn’t want the history to repeat itself.

 

“So who’s Junjin then?” 

He let out a loud exasperated sigh.

“That is none of your business.”

“He’s not your boyfriend is he?”

“Don’t you ever shut up?”

“Not when I’m with someone I like”

Ohhhh…  the cheeky bastard..

.

Eric had this stupid lopsided grin painted across his face and his eyes twinkled with mirth. Minwoo felt his own lips twitch, face almost breaking into a smile. It was so hard not to be amused by this man’s brashness. But he couldn’t let himself slip. He couldn’t risk getting attached to Eric more than was necessary.

They were indulging in each other’s playful banter- well, playful in Eric’s part and snarky in Minwoo’s part- when the problem started.

It was so sudden and they were not at all prepared for it.

The boat lurched forward sending Minwoo slamming into the counter and Eric almost off his stool.

 

And that was when the real trouble began.