Apparently Cats Don't Have Nine Lives and Have Better Plans Than You

The Cat God's Orders

“Kim Sunggyu and I were childhood friends, and we were best friends.”

“I knew it.”

Yongjoo looked up in slight surprise at the girl who uttered those words. They only had introduced themselves minutes earlier, but Yongjoo still wasn’t sure who this girl exactly was. The girl looked apologetic and gestured for her to continue on.

Yongjoo cleared and continued. “That is until a few years ago.”

“Sunggyu was on track to work under his grandfather’s company, and I was on my way of opening my own flower shop. That was my dream, and Sunggyu supported me full-heartedly. He even told me that he would help me start it up.” She paused on an afterthought. “And joked about helping me part-time,” she chuckled nostalgically.

“Sorry to be blunt and possibly inconsiderate, but what happened?” Myunghee slowly asked.

Yoongjoo shook her head and smiled wistfully. “It’s fine. I figured it wouldn’t hurt to tell you. We never stopped being friends. But that is until one day when I met up with Sunggyu and I could feel that he was different.”

“Different how? Like brainwashed?” Myunghee asked excitedly. “Aww, yeah. I knew it. Aliens.”

Yoongjoo blinked at her with mild astonishment and confusion. “Erm, no, not like that. Like he was a stranger. Like all the memories we had with each other didn’t exist.”

“Oh,” Myunghee replied. “Sorry. Really hoping it would be aliens. Always wanted to meet one, you know? They must have millions of more knowledge than us.” Yongjoo could have sworn that the cat snorted at the girl’s comment.

She flinched and looked at the cat with a slight scowl. “Sorry,” she apologized. “Don’t mind what I said. So, he was different, distant.” Myunghee prompted, directing Yongjoo’s attention away from the cat. “Like amnesia? Or brainwashed? Now that’s a concept you don’t usually don’t see in dramas. Amnesia, yes. But brainwashing?” The girl looked so proud of herself at that moment, Yongjoo wanted to giggle a bit.

“ No, nothing like that,” she said with a laugh. “It was literally as if didn’t want to associate with me anymore. He started to respond to my questions more coldly, distantly, like I was a bother. He would never respond to my calls or texts. And would go out of his way to avoid me. I couldn’t handle it anymore, so I confronted him when he couldn’t run away and asked what was wrong.”

Yongjoo then hesitated and looked down, her voice evident with a slight quiver.

“He told me that he was sick and tired of playing this game.” She gave a short laugh. “Imagine my surprise. What game? What was he talking about? He told me that he was only pretending to be my friend.”

“Awww. . This really is like a drama,” Myunghee murmured excitedly. Her face froze. “Wait, don’t take that offensively. That is in no way a good thing.” She held up a hand with her other hand on her forehead. “Let me rephrase that. God darn you, Kim Sunggyu! How dare you!”

The older woman was bewildered but suddenly laughed. “Well, I guess it’s really like a drama, isn’t it? I never thought about it like that.” She thought about it and smiled laughingly. “If you put it that way, then it really does seem ridiculous.” She looked back at Myunghee. “Thanks.”

Myunghee opened wide open and then closed it. “Nah. I didn’t do much,” she murmured embarrassedly. “But despite it being like a drama, please tell me that he didn’t do something like throw money at you.” She suddenly stood up and made her best impression of a scowling lawyer. “You,” she said in a gruff voice. “We shall never meet again. Take this money and get out of my sight.” She added a wrinkle of her nose for good measure.

Yongjoo burst out laughing, tears beginning to form at the corners of her eyes. “Oh, dear. I shouldn’t be laughing at something like this.”

She wiped her eyes and chuckled. “He didn’t do it like that. But you came pretty close.”

Myunghee sat down and grinned. Yongjoo couldn’t help but to smile too. The girl’s smile was infectious.

“What happened,” she began to explain, “Well, he told me that we couldn’t meet up anymore. That I wasn’t worth his time. Not when I was simply a flower shop owner and he was going to be the head of a large firm.” She paused and started to laugh again. “Oh, god. And then he took out a small envelope from his pocket and told me to take it and never contact him again.”

“What was in the envelope?” Myunghee asked.

 “What do you think?” the woman replied with a grin.

“Money?” Myunghee hesitantly guessed.

“Money,” she confirmed.

They both stared at each other before laughing again.

Myunghee shook her head. “I’m sorry. I didn’t actually think he would do that. I hope that it didn’t offend you in any way.”

Yongjoo smiled at the girl. “No, actually, it made me think how ridiculous it all was. I always hated thinking about it and pushed it as far away from my memory as possible. But now that you put in such a way, I feel like a huge weight is lifted off my shoulders.”

Myunghee bit her lip and shifted her eyes as if she was trying to avoid saying something.

“Say it,” the older woman commanded with a laugh.

“Please tell me that you threw the envelope back into his face!” she blurted out.

Yongjoo laughed. “Oh, I should have! What a glorious idea! But I didn’t. He had already left when I was still shell-shocked from what happened.”

“I see,” Myunghee mused. “So what did you the money?”

She shrugged. “At first I wanted to use it to start my shop, but I decided against it. I didn’t want any part of him in my shop, and I knew that if I did, I would hate it. So I donated it to charity.”

She paused and asked the nagging question she never got to ask. “So how do you know him anyways?”

Myunghee had stopped looking at her and was now staring intensely at the cat as if they were communicating with their eyes.

Yongjoo had almost forgotten about the white cat. She watched them for a while and noticed how they oddly seemed to fit. She realized that Myunghee was an interesting girl, a bold suddenly spouting out random things while the cat seemed more serene and ethereal. Complete opposites from each other but yet matched.

“Myunghee.”

The girl’s eyes shot up. “Yes? Sorry. Yes?”

She chuckled. “I asked how you knew Sunggyu.”

“Oh, he almost ran me over. And Dongwoo here.” She added as she lifted the cat up, looking absolutely annoyed, glaring at the girl.

“He did?” Yongjoo asked in surprise.

Myunghee waved her concern aside. “It’s nothing. I lived and barely had any scratches. I should thank him instead. I mean I got to meet this good-for-nothing-cat and in a way, you. Plus, he was so apologetic that he paid for my hospital bills. And told me to contact him if I needed anything. He seemed really sorry,” she reminisced.

Yongjoo laughed quietly, looking sadly at her cup. “Reminds me of the old Sunggyu.” She paused and looked up at the girl quizzically. Which reminds me. How did you know that Sunggyu and I knew each other?”

Myunghee looked surprised at the question and was clearly flustered.

“Ummm. I, err. He told me!” she blurted out.

“He did?” The shock was evident on her face. She was not expecting that at all.

And Myunghee knew that her excuse wasn’t even a good one. She practically made it worse. And the only thing Myunghee knew what to do in bad situations was to make them worse.

Because right after that she blurted out, “He’s getting married.”

Yongjoo was not prepared for those words right after being shocked at the sudden situation as she dropped her cup onto the table. It shook but didn’t spill over.

But she calmed herself, her hands shaking as she closed her eyes. It all made sense. Why Sunggyu told this girl about their old relationship. Why this girl approached her. It was all so that he could tell her to move on. He had to do it an such a roundabout way. He must really hate her. “Is that so? That’s good. No, that is good. That means he has really moved on. And that means I should too.”

Yongjoo smiled at the girl who looked devastated. She didn’t exactly know why, but it seemed like it was time to go.

“Thank you, Myunghee. You made my day, honestly. I never laughed so hard in my laugh. And I think I’ll be able to get over Sunggyu.”

Myunghee looked confused and worried. She opened to try and say something to stop her. Something, anything, but nothing came out.

Instead, she shook her head and took a deep breath.

Yongjoo looked worriedly at the girl, but decided she’ll be ok. “It was nice meeting you Myunghee. I have to go, but if you ever have time, do drop by my shop!”

She stood up to leave, but Myunghee finally spoke.

“Just tell me something.”

Yongjoo nodded.

“Do you still like Sunggyu?”

She was a bit surprised at the question, but she smiled. “You know, I probably did. We never said anything to each other, but I really did love him. But he’s moving on. And I need to too. I always was still attached to him, but since you came here today, I feel like I can let go. Thank you.”

Myunghee smiled sadly and watched her leave.

But right before she left, Myunghee called out to her.

“He doesn’t hate you, you know.”

Yongjoo stopped and looked back.

“You must have known Sunggyu better than anyone. Then tell me. Do you think he’s the type of person to do these things?”

Yongjoo blinked at her, confused at her words, and slowly walked out the café, Myunghee’s words heavy on her mind.

Myunghee was left in the shop by herself with Dongwhoo muttering to himself angrily.

“You just had to go and ruin it. And I thought you were doing pretty well for yourself in the beginning. Couldn’t you made a better lie? In fact, I think if you told the truth, she probably would have expected it. With your personality, I don’t she would have thought twice if you told her you knew about them from a cat. We’re ruined. ing ruined. Boss is going to kill me. And let me tell you something, despite popular belief, cats do not have nine lives. This . So, Kang Myunghee? What the hell are you going to do now?”

Myunghee stared at Dongwoo as his speech became less and less formal. She cracked a grin. “I know I messed up. I do that often. But I’ll let you in a little secret. Despite making bad situation worse, I’ve known to make up for them. I have incredible luck, you see. It’s going to turn out okay if I do say so myself.”

“So what are going to do now?” Dongwoo exclaimed.

“I do like it when you’re less formal,” Myunghee grinned at him.

“Myunghee!”

“Alright, alright. We’re,” pausing and continuing in a lower tone for emphasis, “Going to crash a wedding.” Dongwoo was not amused.

“That is the most stupidest plan I have ever heard. And trust me, I heard plenty. I hate to disappoint you, but we don’t know anything about it. My plan was genious, until you had to go and ruin it.”

“Well, excuse me, Mr. ‘I’m the Freaking Best’. What was your ground-breaking plan?”

My plan was to get Yongjoo to meet with Sunggyu again. When I was sitting in the road, Sunggyu was going to serve, but crash into the tree. He wouldn’t be that heavily injured, but still be sent to the hospital. Yongjoo finds out, but thinks that he’s on his death bed. She rushes over to see him. They reconcile, and then voila, we’re done. But with your plan, there are so many plot holes.

“I could tell you a million plot holes in your plan too,” Myunghee pouted. “First of all, what if he got amnesia?”

“She would take care of him until he remembered.”

“What about his bride-to-be? Wouldn’t she pose a problem?”

“You saw how she was. She wouldn’t visit him except for the first day.”

“What if Sunggyu never liked her from the beginning?”

“Now, you’re just pulling straws. We both know that’s not the case.”

“Fine,” she sighed in exasperation. “But you can’t blame me for trying to save you.”

“I didn’t need any saving.”

“Why can’t be happy?”

“I would be if you didn’t mess this up! We don’t anything about their wedding! When it is, where it is, how it’s going to be like. How the hell are you going to crash their ing wedding?”

“Patience, dear angry cat. First,” Myunghe pulled out some sunglasses and put them on, trying to imitate those in the movies. “We’re going to sneak into Gimsul Law Firms.

“You got to be ing kidding me.”

“Oh no, my dear Dongwoo. I am not.”

 

A/N: This update is a little short, but I wanted to stop it here.

Dongwoo starts to curse a lot when he gets angry.

I know that Dongwoo is probably a really funny and chill person in real life, but Dongwoo here is totally the opposite. But then again, he's a cat. Oh wells.