The Big "G" Isn't Reserved for You

The Cat God's Orders

She sat there, eyes wide open, mouth slightly agape, staring down at the white cat. A cat that claimed he was god. The God. The Almighty One.

And she couldn’t believe it.

Sure, she could imagine angel, maybe even an archangel. Hell, even a demon was a possibility. But God?

Not even close to what she imagined.

She didn’t even believe in God. Well, not exactly.

He seemed to enjoy her reaction as his tail twitched back and forth casually.

“Surprised?” he laughed. “Not that I expected you to know, but I did hope that you maybe had an inkling. But judging on your expression, I’m not what you expected me to be.”

She didn’t answer, only staring at him with a shocked look.

He jumped onto Myunghee’s still frozen lap and tilted his head up to look at her. She still made no movement, and he was getting impatient.

“Wake up, you dolt,” he hissed with annoyance. “If you have time to seem like an idiot without any wits, then I don’t know why I let you live. I expected more from you than that.”

That snapped Myunghee out of her trance. “What?” she muttered confusedly. “So you wanted something from me? And because of that, you let me live?”

The cat blinked at her with unenthusiastic boredom. “Oh, look. Looks like this ingrate actually has some sense in her. Thank goodness.”

Myunghee frowned, “You know, you have such a bipolar personality. One minute you’re happy and excited, and the next you’re a sarcastic jerk.”

The cat seemed to smile at that. “I’m sarcastic partly because I’m bored when people aren’t interesting, and partly because I don’t like it when people aren’t quick on the intake.”

She stared intently at him again and then sighed. “Alright, fine. Let’s assume you are God.”

“Assume?” he intoned.

“Sure, I was a bit shocked when you called yourself God, but I’m not stupid enough to blindly believe it.”

He observed her carefully and then seemed to brighten up. “Go on.”

She heaved a large sigh. “First things first. If you’re God, then why aren’t you watching over everyone else? How come you’re with me here? Are there multiple gods? Or is just you?”

Dongwoo looked at her thoughtfully. “Hmm. How to explain this? Contrary to what to what some people believe, there are more than “one” God. Think how different cultures are polytheistic and some are monotheistic. And then imagine it being combined. That is basically how it is. There are many gods out there; however, there is one god that reigns supreme. She is the one who oversees everything.”

“Her?” Myunghee let out.

The cat rolled his eyes. “All these misconceptions. Yes, her. The one that I call my boss is female.” He scrunched up his face that made him look cuter than displaying his displeasure like it was supposed to. “And she’s not the most pleasant person to be around. She overworks everyone. I seriously should get more vacation time.”

Myunghee stared back, trying to wrap her head around everything he had said. She blinked once and one more. “Okay. So you’re a god. Shouldn’t gods be living it up  wherever you live? I mean is there a Heaven?”

“Yes, Heaven does exist. That’s where both angels do most of their paperwork. But they also have to watch over the humans. However, there are simply so many of them, that the angels can only handle so much. So, Boss made the rest of us gods watch over the humans to help out.

Myunghee’s hand shot up. She felt like she was back in school, learning about some new foreign topic that she had yet had a grasp on. “Question.”

“Yes?”

“What did you do before? Before, erm, this human-watching.”

“We were the supervisors of Heaven. Helped maintain Heaven. Think of it as a Board of Directors.”

“Huh. Okay, another question. What about Hell?”

“What about it?”

“Well, does it exist? Are their demons rampaging around causing havoc? Are they the reason why I failed my physics test last week?”

“I don’t know how that even correlates with demons. I’m afraid that you failed your test due to your own stupidity. And yes, Hell does exist. In fact, the person in charge is Boss’ husband.”

“Ouch. But hold up. You’re saying God is married to the… Devil?”

“He goes by Lucifer. And he’s is a much better person than Boss. Boss is crazy. I don’t even know how Sir Lucifer even handles her. Sir Lucifer is most likely the most understanding being I ever met.”

Myunghee stared at him for a long moment before she burst out in laughter.

It obviously startled Dongwoo quite a bit, for his jumped up and hissed at her in annoyance.

“I’m sorry that I fail to find the hilariousness of all of this.”

She wiped her moist eyes from the laughter and took a deep breath. “Nah, it’s just I feel like I’m hearing some nighttime TV drama. Which, by the way, some of them are pretty interesting. In fact, your bosses’ story would make quite the story. You should think about investing in a drama about it. I would totally watch it.”

The cat wrinkled his nose at her. “Focus,” he murmured warningly.

“Right, right. So you’re God, well, no, you’re a god. I suppose I should leave the big G for the big honcho up there.” She paused and looked around before leaning toward Dongwoo. She whispered to him, “She won’t get mad if I go around saying things like that, will she?”

The cat rolled his eyes. “Boss has better things to do than to listen to every single human’s conversation. She does listen to a few, but not often. And I told you to focus!”

“Sorry. Okay,” Myunghee replied, leaning back to her original position and putting her hands up in surrender. “So. You. God. Me. Human. Er, what now?”

“You sound like a two-year old trying to talk. Try and communicate more effectively.”

“Geez, no humor. I mean what I say. What now? You said that there was a reason why you saved me besides for the fact you found me interesting. What is it?”

 “Yes, that’s true. There was a larger motive behind all of this. The reason I saved you is because I want to help me.”

“Help you,” she stated blankly.

He nodded. “Like I said before. There are simply too many humans, and not enough of angels or gods to watch over them. But it’s not like we watch over all the humans. We sort of let them do whatever they want. If they do good things, good for them. If they want to do evil things, well, Hell’s the place for them. Sir Lucifer is fair in his punishments. But sometimes we interfere with both good and bad people, or rather, lead them to another path. We help them, but they don’t know it. That’s my job. Leading people who run astray.”

“Shouldn’t the bad people be ignored?” Myunghee interrupted.

She could tell Dongwoo was getting more peeved with her by the second. “Sometimes, even the bad people are not too far along the path of evil, and we help those people out. And the good people who are about to waver into an evil path, we stop them and lead them back on to the better road.”

“Okay? I kind of got more information than I wanted, but okay,” she intoned, trying to understand where this was going.

“But honestly, it’s a difficult job. Especially when you’re a cat. You can only do so much.” He looked up at her. “Therefore, I want you to do my job and help others. Sort of a repayment for allowing you to live.”

She blinked at him. “What? You want me to take over your job?”

He rolled his eyes. “It wasn’t that hard to understand. And don’t worry, I’ll help you along the way. And if it makes you feel better, just think that you’re my assistant.”

She glared at him. “There must be something more than that.”

He smirked, “I was getting to that. You should not be so impatient.”

She simply snorted at that.

“There are six people you have to help.”

“I thought the heavenly number was seven.”

He frowned. “Technically, there are seven. But you lucked out and already helped one. So now there are six.”

She frowned, racking her brain of who she might have already helped. “Who?”

The cat blinked lazily at her. “Doesn’t matter now. What matters is that there are six left.”

“Ok, fine. Do I randomly go up to people and ask if they need help?” she murmured sarcastically.

He laughed. “Nothing of that sort. That’s called being crazy. No, I have six specific people in mind. As much as Heaven sounds disorganized, we do have lists.”

She snorted. “Terrific! The way you talked about Heaven made it sound like it was a place with piles of paper lined to infinity, swamped with work. Glad to know to know there are lists.

“As much as I appreciate your sarcasm right now, now is not the time.”

“When is it ever?” she muttered. “Ok, so let me get this straight. There are six people in the world who need help either getting on the right path or stop them from going into the wrong path.”

“I really do like it when people are smart,” Dongwoo sighed with satisfaction.

“Okay, doesn’t seem too bad. So, who’s the first person that needs my, our, majestic help.”

He smirked. “Reach in your pocket.”

She stared at him strangely, but did as he said. “Uh, is there some magical mystical power that allowed you to put something in my pocket? Cause all I’m finding is tissue and gum,” she muttered in concentration as she fumbled through her jacket pocket.

“Just do it. And it’s the other side.”

She stopped mid-rummaging and turned to her other side as she as she reached in her other pocket and pulled out the business card that the receptionist gave her earlier.

He jumped on top of the backrest of the bench and peered over her shoulder at the card.

“This is…?” she asked, glancing at the cat and then back at the card.

“Your first objective. The first person to help. He was actually the one I was supposed to help before you rudely interrupted my plans and almost got yourself killed.”

“Oh, so it’s my fault that I tried to save you from getting run over,” she muttered.

“Exactly,” he said simply.

She looked at him in astonishment and scoffed at him.

She flipped over the card, seeing if there was anything written on the back. The words “Please contact me if there are any problems” were scrawled on the back.

She then flipped to the front where “Gimsul Lawyers” was written on the top. A phone number, their institute address, and email were typed in small lettering on the bottom.

And the name Kim Sunggyu was proudly presented in the middle.

“Kim Sunggyu? A lawyer?” she mused to herself. “I wonder what he needs help with.”

The cat grinned, jumping off the bench and onto the floor. He looked behind him at Myunghee. “Shall we go find out?”

“What I’m going to do? Call him up and say, ‘Yo, I heard from a little kittie that you needed to help. I got your back, bro. So tell me your problems.’? Doesn’t that seem weird? And creepy?”

“Okay, first: Who told you that you had to speak in that manner? And second: Why not? Obviously, not in those exact wording, but yes. Why not?”

“Because, one, it’s creepy. And two, nobody want to hear from a complete stranger, aka me, why they’re going to the deep end unless I help them.”

“Well, it doesn’t matter how you get Sunggyu to talk to you, it doesn’t dispute the fact that he’s the first one you have to help.”

“Fine. You put me in charge, then we’re going to do it my way. And it doesn’t involve  creeping on people.”

She stood up and walked after the white cat who simply grinned in return.

 


A/N: So it’s a bit shorter, but I than I expected, but that’s alright.

The bit about gods and religion is all purely for this story. It doesn’t reflect anything that I personally believe. So, I hope that if you do believe in a certain religion that it doesn’t affect your view on this story. All of this is fiction.

Ok, now with that out of the way.

I had a bit of trouble of creating and molding Myunghee’s character, but I think I got a feel on it. Hopefully, she comes out as fun character to write.

First up, Sunggyu! Can you guess what the rest of the story is going to be about? Haha, I think it’s pretty obvious.