I'm Sorry, Please Believe Me

You Can't Choose Who You Love

            Himchan sighed as he spun around in a rolling chair. “Can you really not come down this weekend?”

            “I already told you Himchan, I have a huge chemistry test that I need to study for.” Youngjae replied from over the phone. “Why is it you want us to come home so badly?”

            “It’s the girl isn’t it?” Himchan could hear Daehyun yell in the distance, together with Youngjae as always.

            “I just want you guys to meet her.” Himchan whined. Yongguk frowned while he did his homework, so Himchan continued to try getting their friends to visit home. “Can’t you come down?”

            Youngjae laughed. “If she is as special as you say she is then she’ll still be there next weekend.”

            “Yeah but it is the special movie price weekend… everything is a dollar if you are there with your boyfriend or girlfriend. And we’ve all been waiting for this movie to come out.”

            “We won’t hold it against you if you go--- Wait! Did you just imply that Daehyun and I are a couple!?!” Youngjae shouted.

            Himchan laughed. “Well, you can sure act like one well.”

            Himchan could hear the sounds of Daehyun laughing in the background and then he cut off with a grunt when Youngjae hit him. Himchan shook his head at his ridiculous friends. “Just one weekend Youngjae… we miss you, you know?”

          Youngjae stopped bickering at the sound of how serious Himchan sounded. “It’s been a long time hasn’t it…”

            “You’ve only been home once since you’ve left.” Himchan frowned. “You met Isi at least but Yongguk and I have significant others now and you know we want to introduce them to you. They are a part of the team now.”

            Youngjae sighed. “I’m taking 18 units Himchan; I don’t have time for a break. I promise that I will try my hardest to come down.”

            “Promise?”

            “Promise.” Himchan could hear the smile in his voice.

            “Don’t worry,” Daehyun took the phone from Youngjae. “I’ll be with him.”

            “That’s what I’m worried about.” Himchan groaned.

            “What is that supposed to me?” Daehyun asked offended.

            “You are the biggest distraction on the planet. Make sure you keep a mask on so you don’t talk Youngjae’s ear off.” Himchan laughed.

            “Yah! I’m not that—Youngjae why are you agreeing with him?!”

            Youngjae’s laughter became louder as he grabbed the phone back from Daehyun. “Don’t worry Himchan, we’ll be home this weekend.”

            “Good.” Himchan smiled. “I’ll see you in two days then! Friday night we’ll all meet up at Yongguk’s lab.”

            “Like always.”

            Himchan chuckled. “Like always.”

            “So…” Yongguk prompted as Himchan hung up his phone.

            “It’s a maybe… a strong maybe.” Himchan leaned forward on the table and watched Yongguk work. “I think Youngjae is working himself too hard.”

            Yongguk nodded. “He calls me occasionally to ask for homework help.”

            “I’m worried Bbang… Daehyun said Youngjae’s barely eating.”

            “Daehyun always says that.”

            Himchan sighed. “Is Daehyun dating again?”

            Yongguk stopped typing and turned to face Himchan. “You think that’s what this is about?”

            Himchan shrugged. “Youngjae has always acted differently when Daehyun got a girlfriend… or boyfriend for that matter… more so when it’s a boyfriend actually. I’m certain Youngjae took more classes so that he would have less free time.”

            Yongguk slowly nodded as he pondered over Himchan’s words. “Daehyun had a girlfriend then.”

            “Youngjae was trying to distract himself.”

            Yongguk sighed. “I haven’t talked to Daehyun recently but Zelo told me he had.”

            “Well?”

            Yongguk shrugged. “I think he is single again but that was two weeks ago.”

            Himchan groaned. “This would be so much easier if Youngjae would admit he likes Daehyun! Connect the dots kid! How does he not know his own feelings!?”

            “Are the parents talking about Youngjae and Daehyun again?” Ryan laughed at his own joke as he walked in from the back room.

            “My oldest children give me the most trouble.” Himchan shook his head before laughing.

            “How is the new armor looking?” Yongguk asked with a smile.

            Ryan sat down at the table with Himchan and immediately Yongguk rolled his chair over. Ryan smiled while Himchan rolled his eyes.

            “Good. Should be stronger than before, like we predicted.”

            “You know, I was thinking earlier—“

            “Okay,” Himchan stood up. “I’m going to get going while you guys talk about boring things.”

            “Things that could save your life.” Ryan defended.

            “Yes, but things I can’t give any input in therefore I can’t talk about so it’s boring.” Himchan turned to walk away but paused. “Right, I’m taking Bora out tonight to celebrate her good grades. She invited Zelo and Jongup along, who invited Isi along, so I invited Mira, and---“

            “Where are you guys going?” Ryan cut him off already knowing where Himchan was going.

            Himchan scowled. “Bowling at 7 tonight.”

            “Tonight?” Yongguk asked. “Aren’t you asking us really last minute?”

            Himchan huffed. “I only decided this yesterday. I asked you last night and neither of you answered me, so absorbed in your computers. Some things never change…”

            “I have nothing planned tonight.” Ryan looked at Yongguk.

            “I was going to research more on how the monsters keep getting here…” Yongguk looked at his computer wistfully. He grunted and glared at Ryan who was smiling as if he hadn’t just stepped on Yongguk’s foot. “We’ll be there.”

            “Great, I’ll pick you up at 6 then. Later!” Himchan waved and laughed as he started to walk out.

            “Wait… 6?! But it’s already after 5!” Ryan said in dismay.

            “Oh, looks like you both better get dressed quickly.” Himchan smirked. “I’ll be back after I change and pick up Mira.”

            Himchan walked out of the door to the sounds of complaints and insults being thrown at him. Himchan chuckled. “That’s why people should never ignore me.”

            Himchan dove back home quickly and changed clothes. He primped his hair back to its prime state and dragged the younger four away from Mario kart and into the van.

            “Don’t your parents ever wonder where you are?” Himchan grumbled.

            “Yongguk has GPS tracking on me if he needs to find me.” Zelo said.

            Jongup shrugged. “My parents know who I’m with.”

            “My mom is too busy to notice I’m not there.”

            The van descended into an uneasy silence. Himchan looked in the rearview mirror, silently trying to beg Jongup to do something, but the younger boy wasn’t looking at him. Instead he was looking at Isi.

            He wrapped his arm around her shoulder and brought her head down onto his shoulder where he nuzzled his face into her peaches and crème scented hair. “I notice when you aren’t with me.”

            Isi chuckled. “I wasn’t trying to say it like a bad thing. She really is just that busy.”

            “I know… but I just want you to know. You are someone I can never forget about.”

            “Yeah!” Bora smiled. “You are part of the team now!”

            “Since when were you part of the team?” Himchan asked Bora.

            She puffed out her cheeks in annoyance. “I helped Yongguk design the outfits! I’m also your cover with mom. I’m definitely part of the team!”

            “I think you are part of the team.” Zelo squeezed her hand, making her smile.

            “Thank god we made it.” Himchan groaned as they pulled up in front of Mira’s apartment complex.

            She was already waiting outside and when she saw the van she jogged over, her ponytail swishing back and forth and her skirt rising slightly. She pulled the black and blue hue skirt back down before sitting down in the car. Himchan waited for her to adjust her jacket and put her seat belt on before leaning towards her with an easy smile on his face. Mira looked over and chuckled before closing the distance, giving him a kiss.

            “Hi.” Himchan said happily.

            Mia chuckled. “Hello, yourself.”

            Gagging noises in the back seat had Himchan rolling his eyes as he pulled back onto the street. “What, so you think I like seeing you guys kiss?”

            “Yeah, but you are my older brother.”

            “And you are my younger sister! Don’t you think I find it weird you are dating one of my friends?” Himchan looked at them in the mirror to see Bora and Zelo look at each other and then shrug.

            Mira laughed and the sight made Himchan smile tenderly. It was a smile on her face that had only recently been there. When they had first met and even had first started dating her smile had seemed forced or even strained, like there was something holding her back, but now she was smilingly freely. She was more relaxed everyone and Himchan couldn’t have been more happy. He only wished that Youngjae and Daehyun could meet her sooner or later so that the whole team could be together.

            “Are Yongguk and Ryan coming?” Bora asked.

            “Yes.” Himchan said quickly turning down the road he had almost missed since he had been distracted by Mira.

            It only took a few minutes to reach the house and then once Yongguk and Ryan piled in, they headed off to the bowling alley. It was Thursday night and it was packed. Luckily they had reserved a lane in advance so they didn’t have to wait long. They divided into two teams, Himchan, Jongup and their girlfriends, versus Yongguk, Zelo, and their partners.

            The game was going well, each side well balanced. As always, Himchan got competitive and started his pep talks trying to get his team to be pumped up and ready to fight.

            Isi rolled her eyes. “Fight? I thought this was bowling.”

            “I also thought we were out here to have fun?” Mira crossed her arms.

            “Jongup.” Himchan looked at Jongup seriously. “My friend, are you with me?”

            Jongup smiled. “You know I’m always with you!”

            Himchan hugged the other while their girlfriends groaned over how cheesy they were.

            “Let’s do this!” Jongup shouted.

            “Yeah!”

            “Can I join your team?” Mira asked Yongguk.

            “Mira.” Himchan whined and grabbed her waist. “Would you really leave my team? We are going to win.”

            “Do we get something if we win?”

            Himchan thought about it before smiling. “Unlimited kisses from me?”

            “No thank you.” Isi said as she walked up to bowl. “I think I might throw this game.”

            “Wait.” Jongup ran up to her and whispered in her ear.

            Isi’s mouth dropped. “Really?”

            Jongup laughed. “We have to win though.”

            “Oh it’s on!” Isi grinned. “Did I mention I have almost perfect aim?”

            “We’re going to win!” Himchan cheered with Mira still in his arms.

            “I don’t want to be on this crazy team!” Mira laughed.

            “We’ll take you.” Zelo held out his arm.

            “Never!” Himchan pulled her against himself. “She’s mine!”

            Mira smiled teasingly. “Are you going to make me an offer that will fire me up like how Jongup did?”

            Himchan smirked playfully. “You want an award for winning?”

            “Yes.” Mira accepted the challenge.

            Himchan leaned in closer to her ear as a few of his fingers slid under her shirt so he was touching her bare skin. His smile widened as he felt her jump in surprise. “Mira.” He dropped his voice lower and felt her shiver. “Tonight, we could always…” He dragged the word out while he massaged her hips. “get ice cream.”

            Mira froze. “Get ice cream? Get ice cream?!”

            Himchan laughed and backed away before he could get hit. “What were you expecting something else?”

            “I want ice cream.” Zelo piped in while Mira stood there embarrassed.

            Yongguk shook his head and patted the robot’s shoulder. “If we win I’ll buy you ice cream.”

            “Really?!” Zelo’s face brightened. “Really, Yongguk?”

            “What about me?” Bora and Ryan asked at the same time.

            “Yes, ice cream for everyone if we win.” Yongguk chuckled.

            Zelo cheered and walked up to the ball return getting ready to throw. Himchan took the chance to slid next to Mira again and kiss her cheek. “I really like you.”

            Mira chuckled as she shook her head, still trying to get over what had just happened. “You are such an idiot.”

            “But I’m your idiot.”

            Mira hummed in approve. “Yes, you are.” She intertwined their fingers as they watched Zelo line himself up to throw. “You know… you could always come over tonight for you know… ice cream.”

            “What?” Himchan’s eyes widened in surprise.

            Mira shrugged and walked over to the couch.

            Himchan chuckled to himself. ‘I sure know how to pick them, don’t I?’

            “Time to win.” Zelo muttered before throwing the ball down the aisle.

            The ball soared through the air for quite some time before dropping down just before it hit the bowling pins. The ball knocked all ten pins over before barreling into the back.

            While Zelo cheered over his good score, the building began to shake. Everyone else frowned and traded glances.

            “Wow Zelo… I don’t think you need to throw the ball that hard…” Jongup said uneasily.

            Zelo frowned. “I didn’t…”

            A huge cracking sound filled the air just before a segment of the ceiling fell onto the middle of the bowling aisles. Screams and dust did nothing to help the confusing situation.

            “Everyone okay?” Himchan coughed.

            “Everyone is still alive and unharmed.” Zelo answered.

            “Not really what I meant but, I’ll take it.” Himchan sighed and finally looked towards the fallen ceiling. “Guys, transform!”

            There standing on the ceiling were three monsters. Two were birdlike with wings on their backs and beaks for mouths. They were a mix of feathers, skin, and hair, all of which looked greasy and gross. The one in the middle was more human looking, yet he was a green color with a third eye on his forehead.

            They were quick to transform, hoping that in the chaos and still clouded room that no one would see them change. The only ones not in a disguise were Bora, Ryan, and Mira.

            “Oh no…” Mira said.

            Himchan turned around and squeezed her hand reassuringly, not liking how pale she had gotten. “It’s going to be okay, don’t worry. We can handle them.”

            “Mira, Bora, Ryan, get the civilians to safety.” Yongguk ordered.

            “Be careful.” Ryan said before grabbing Bora and running towards the exit to help people out.

            “Go.” Himchan tried pushing her in the right direction.

            “Well, well, well, Earth really is a small planet.” The green man squeaked.

            Himchan flinched from the sound which grated on his nerves.

            “What do you want here?” Yongguk asked.

            “Here?” The human looking one laughed. “I want to destroy as many humans as possible so we can take over the planet, but it looks like I just found one of my missing pawns.”

            “What is a pawn?” Jongup whispered, hoping Zelo would hear him.

            “It’s a piece in chess which is killed easily and usually sacrificed.” Zelo answered.

            “What are you talking about?” Himchan asked confused. He didn’t like how the green man was looking at their team so he shielded Mira with his body.

            “It’s been a long time. Did you think we forgot about you, Mira?”

            In that moment Himchan’s vision seemed to spin as it felt like his stomach flipped over. Shivers ran down his spine and arms as his body continued trying to process what he had just heard. The words repeated in his head so many times he felt like he was drowning in them. He was frozen in place, not knowing how to react. He heard Yongguk yelling at the monster who taunted right back but, Himchan’s mind wasn’t making the sounds into words.

            “It’s not what it seems like. Please let me explain.”

            Himchan blinked when he heard Mira’s words and the world crashed down around him. He turned around slowly to stare at her. “You work for our enemy?”

            “How dare you use us!” Yongguk shouted.

            “I did work them, did! Not anymore.” Mira looked at Himchan with fear in her eyes. “It’s true I was hired to infiltrate your group, spying and undercover work is what I’m best at, but I gave them nothing!”

            “How can we trust you?!” Zelo screamed out of his pain.

            “Please, Himchan.” Mira pleaded. “Please believe me… once I got to know you I didn’t want to hurt you—or any of the guys!”

            She reached out to Himchan but he backed away from her touch, still not sure how he really felt. The only emotion truly running through his veins was the feeling of being betrayed.

            “You lied to me…” Himchan said quietly in a broken voice. “Were your feelings also a lie?”

            “This is getting boring!” The green man shouted. “None of these questions matter because you are all going to die!”

            His third eye glowed red and then a laser blasted towards the group.

            “Himchan!” Mira cried out. Himchan had been facing away from the laser and hadn’t seen it fired. She lunged at Himchan and pushed him out of the way just in time.

            “You saved me?” Himchan looked at her curiously, his world still moving slowly.

            “Of course I did. I—“

            Loud bird screeches filled the air as Isi shot at the birds. Everyone in the building had to cover their ears as the terrible noises broke glasses and mirrors all around them. Himchan could only watch as Zelo ran forward and stabbed the green man, who had also been covering his ears, in the back. His scream was only barely audible over the bird screeches. His skin glowed red and Zelo only had enough time to duck and hide his face before the green man exploded.

            The building caught fire and pillars began to fall. Himchan looked around in awe, seeing the world around him reflect how he felt inside.

            “Himchan, the building is collapsing! We have to get out of here!” Jongup screamed as he ran up to him.

            Himchan blinked, not quite getting back to reality. “Leave?”

            Jongup cursed before heaving Himchan over his shoulder. Himchan scrunched his face not sure why, but he felt like he had forgotten something. He watched Isi rush pass them and saw Yongguk carrying a sparking Zelo behind them. All his friends were there.

            “Mira.” Himchan breathed. In that moment his mind made its decision to come back to life. “Mira! Jongup where is Mira?!”

            “I don’t know, but we have to get out of here before we all die!” Jongup shouted over the sound of the building falling apart.

            “I can’t leave her!” Himchan struggled in Jongup’s grasp. “I love her!”

            “Himchan, she betrayed us!” Yongguk said running beside them now as they exited the building.

            “No! She wouldn’t do that!” Himchan screamed.

            “Himchan, she admitted to working with them!” Yongguk shouted at him as Jongup put him on the ground.

            Himchan shook his head and tried running towards the building. “I trust her! She said she didn’t tell them anything and I believe her. I have to go save her!”

            “Himchan, NO!” Bora screamed as her brother reached the building just as it collapsed.

            Himchan’s heart stopped. He was only feet from the rumble, the rumble which had just landed on top of his girlfriend. Himchan fell to his knees, his legs no longer able to support him. The sounds of sirens were growing louder but Himchan knew it was too late. The building was destroyed and left in pieces, just like his heart.

            “Himchan, we have to go.” Yongguk said gently. “The cops are coming and we can’t answer their questions, remember?”

            “Himchan?” Jongup said.

            Himchan didn’t hear them; he couldn’t hear them over the sound of his heart ripping itself apart. His eyes never left the destroyed building, which had become a grave for the few people who had been unfortunately enough to get left inside.

            Himchan felt himself being lifted up but he didn’t register it. It wasn’t until he was put in the car and could no longer see the building that his armor dropped and he broke down. He screamed and cried. He cussed out Jongup and Yongguk with all the horrible words he knew. He pushed away the sad Bora, saying she was lucky that her boyfriend could at least he repaired. The drive home seemed unreasonably long to Himchan but he still rushed out of the vehicle once they arrived at his house. He dashed upstairs to his bathroom and proceeded to vomit.

            He might have said horrible things to Jongup, Yongguk, and Bora, but really he was most disappointed with himself. She had been mere feet away from him yet he had been so out of it that he had forgotten about her. He would never let himself live it down.

            “Himchan?” Bora knocked on the locked door.

            “Go away.” Himchan sobbed. “Please go away. I want to be alone.”

            “But brother—“

            “Just let me hate myself in peace!” Himchan shouted before he returned to crying into the toilet.