Don't Talk To Strangers

You Can't Choose Who You Love

            “Yongguk, I brought you food.” Himchan called out as he entered the lab.

            He continued on, not affected by the silence that greeted him because it was normally greeted Himchan when he entered the lab. His nose was buried in his cellphone as he answered a text from Bora. He smiled as he typed back that he had left her new dress in the living room.

            Himchan only looked up when his leg bumped into a chair. He frowned at the unexpected object. “What are you doing here?”

            “Yong—“ Himchan stopped as he noticed Yongguk’s desk chair was empty as well and that’s when it hit Himchan, leading him to a groan. “He must be out with Ryan. Damn, how did I forget about that guy?”

            Himchan’s shoulders slumped as he walked to the mini refrigerator. He opened the door and felt even worse to see it was almost full with other food he had brought by. He found a place for the bag of food and made his way back to Yongguk’s chair. 

            He ran his hand along the edge of the desk as he thought about his friends and all the times they hung out in the lab together. Himchan could almost hear their laughter. But now Daehyun and Youngjae were at a different college a few hours away, and his three other friends still near home had significant others. Hell, his younger sister was dating one of them! ‘And people thought I would be the one with many girlfriends… I can’t even remember the last time I kissed someone!’

            Himchan sunk into Yongguk’s special chair just like how he was sinking farther into his feeling of loneliness. He pouted as he twiddled his thumbs together, completely at a loss over what to do. He had been kept so busy since they had started fighting to save the world from the invasion of monsters. The studying to get into college turned into studying for college classes and all his other free time had been divided between fighting monsters and taking care of his best friend. Now that Yongguk didn’t need him though, he was left with practically nothing to do and no one to hang out with.

            Yongguk did try to save time for Himchan but, Himchan felt guilty keeping Yongguk from his new boyfriend. Bora kept Zelo pretty much occupied and Jongup was always hanging around Isi which left Himchan with no one. Himchan’s sigh was the only sound that filled the empty laboratory save the sounds of the computers running.

            “This place really isn’t helping my mood.” Himchan slowly pushed off of the soft chair.

            The warm air hit him as soon as he walked outside. It wasn’t bad weather as there was a light breeze to keep him from getting too hot. ‘It would be a nice day for a walk… well I don’t have that much homework and I’m honestly not in the mood to do it…’

            Himchan shrugged and began the walk home. The sun was bright and warming his skin, the chirping of birds was calming, and the smell of freshly bloomed flowers filled Himchan’s nose, yet all of these things did nothing to improve his mood. All Himchan saw were the couples who were having picnics in the park he was currently walking through as well as groups of friends laughing as they walked off somewhere.

            ‘At a time like this I could really use someone to talk to… or even a monster to fight.’ Himchan stopped in the middle of the walkway and looked around hopefully. He sighed. ‘Nothing looks suspicious.’

            He turned around and he only had enough time to brace himself as a girl jogged into him. He stumbled back a bit but placed his hands on the girl’s shoulders to steady them both. ‘Seriously, am I invisible now?’

            “You, okay there?” Himchan looked down at the girl who was pulling away from his grip slowly. She was a little shorter than himself with dark blue hair pulled back into a low pony tail with the bangs covering her right eye. She was wearing a camouflage print tank top and dark jogging pants which only highlighted just how pale her skin was.

            “Yeah, sorry about that.” She said breathlessly as she finally looked up at him.

            “It’s okay.” Himchan smiled politely back. He noticed her eyes widen slightly as she finally got a good look at him and he couldn’t help the extra wide smile that followed.

            She blinked rapidly before smiling back. “Why don’t I buy you a coffee to make up for it?”

            “Are you sure? I don’t want to interrupt your running.” Himchan declined politely.

            “You think I would pass up coffee with a hot guy just to get sweaty?” The jogger smirked.

            Himchan laughed. “Point taken.” Deciding hanging out with someone he didn’t know was better than moping by himself at home, Himchan smiled. “Alright, let’s get coffee. Lead the way umm….”

            “Mira.” She stuck her hand out to Himchan.

            “Mira… pretty name for a pretty girl.” Himchan shook her soft hand, already liking how it felt in his own. “I’m Himchan.”

            “So Himchan, do you like coffee?” Mira asked as they started walking towards the edge of the park.

            “Like it? I love it. I’m pretty sure my blood is comprised of at least 10% coffee beans now.”

            “Wow, addicted much?” Mira teased. “Maybe we shouldn’t get coffee. I don’t want to fuel your addiction.”

            “It isn’t an addiction if I need it to function normally.” Himchan defended himself.

            “The fact that you need it to live tells me that it’s an addiction.” Mira laughed.

            Himchan laughed along. “Okay, maybe I’m addicted but there are worse things to be addicted to.”

            “Oh officer,” Mia said in a mocking tone. “I only shot him in the arm, I could have done worse.”

            “That is not the same thing.” Himchan tried to keep a straight face but was losing it.

            Mira laughed. “It really is!”

            Himchan pouted as they finally made it to the coffee shop. “So, are you saying we shouldn’t get coffee?”

            Mira bit her lip as she thought about it. “How about after this one we start slowing down on you intake?”

            “We?” Himchan asked as he opened the door for her.

            “Of course, you’ll need me to keep you on track. If you are truly addicted then it will be hard for you to stop on your own.” Mira smiled as she walked in the open door.

            Himchan’s lips twitched in amusement. ‘This is sure to be interesting.’

            Sure enough, after they ordered their drinks and sat down they immediately started laughing. The back and forth teasing, the given compliments, and shared interests kept them sitting in the quaint coffee shop for quite some time. They stopped saying sorry every time one of them adjusted their feet and accidentally brushed the other’s foot, now used to the brief shared touches.

            Himchan’s cellphone broke their conversation first. He frowned as he looked at the screen. “Sorry, this is my friend and I need to take it.”

            “Oh, don’t mind me.” Mira smiled.

            “Thanks.” Himchan put the phone to his ear. “Bbang?”

            “Himchan, where are you?” Yongguk sounded worried.

            “I’m at a coffee shop near your house? Why what’s up?” Himchan saw Mira’s head perk up but he took it as concern over his worried tone.

            “Why are you there? Didn’t you remember we were going to watch a movie together with everyone tonight?” Yongguk asked concerned.

            Himchan scratched his head. “Yeah but wasn’t that going to be later tonight? Like around 5?”

            “It’s already 4:30!” Yongguk sounded exasperated. “And we still need to pick the kids up from the arcade.”

            “Its 4:30?!” Himchan pulled the phone away from his ear to check. “! I’ll be there soon, Bbang!”

            “Emergency?” Mia asked curiously as Himchan hung up the phone.

            “No, I just lost track of time so now I’m late for prior plans I  made. I’m sorry I have to leave like this.”

            “It’s okay.” Mira smiled. “But you know, I might need your phone number—just to make sure you are getting over your addiction.”

            Himchan smiled and took her phone from her. “Of course, how could I forget? Maybe as an award we will have to go out together for something other than coffee.”

            “Only if you cut back.” Mira warned. “Don’t make me go check on you at your base.”

            “My base?” Himchan asked in confusion.

            “Home base!” Mira quickly corrected herself and forced a laugh. “You know… your house.”

            “Ah… yeah, right.  I’ll see you soon then, coach.” Himchan winked as he passed the phone back to her.

            “Coach?” Mira laughed as Himchan waved and walked away.

            Himchan had only just stepped outside when his phone vibrated from a text.

                        Unknown Number:

                        I’ve been thinking about your condition and I believe

                        that sometime this week I’ll have to check up on you.

            ‘Thinking within the last 30 seconds?’ Himchan chuckled and looked back through the shop window to see Mira waving at him. He shook his head with a smile on his face before continuing to walk down the street while typing a reply.

                        I may need some motivation to end my reliance on coffee.

                         Perhaps we could meet up tomorrow… say at the park

                        we met at today at 11am?

            He only had time to give Mira a name in his phone before he got a new message.

                        Mira!:

                        Sounds like a date!

            Himchan stopped and looked at the phone, his own words finally just hitting him. ‘Am I really going on a date tomorrow… crap I think I’m going on a date tomorrow… I’m going on a date tomorrow!’

            Himchan smiled to himself happy he had found someone else to talk to and possibly someone who he might really care about more in the future. He cursed when he noticed the time and began running back Yongguk’s house hoping that Yongguk’s parents would allow him to drive their car tonight since he didn’t have time to pick up his own.

            ‘Wait until I tell Bbang and everyone that I found a nice girl.’ Himchan chuckled and ran faster in his excitement.