Coincidence or Fate?

You Can't Choose Who You Love

            “Could you guys act serious?” Himchan frowned as he sped the car around the corner. “We are on our way to kill monsters, not buy video games.”

            “How bad can it be?” Jongup smiled. “We’ve been winning fights easily.”

            “And there haven’t been many. Maybe we are winning.” Zelo smiled.

            “That does not mean we can afford to drop our guard.” Yongguk looked at the younger ones through the rearview mirror.

            “Of course!” Jongup shouted.

            “Understood.” Zelo answered.

            “Also, I take offense to you calling us guys.” Isi huffed. “I am obviously female.”

            Himchan rolled his eyes before taking a sharp turn, causing everyone to grab onto something. “What am I supposed to say? Hey boy, robot, and girl?”

            “That is much longer.” Zelo stated.

            “I think you can come up with a gender neutral term to use.”

            Himchan smirked. “Alright you little s—“

            “Hey!” The three in the back said in unison. Yongguk beside him laughed.

            “Alright you young people, you should transform now so you are ready to go when we get there.”

            “Okay!” Jongup said but then he looked at Zelo. “Is that your phone vibrating?”

            “Phone?” Zelo pulled out his cellphone and shook his head. “Not mine.”

            “Ah, it was Himchan’s.” Yongguk picked up the phone from the cup holder. “Mira says Hi and wants to know if you guys are still on for breakfast tomorrow.”

            “Can you tell her yes for me?” Himchan smiled even though he was concentrating, trying to drive though the cars and people going in the opposite direction as him, away from the monsters.

            “I like Mira.” Jongup said.

            “Me too, but something feels off about her…” Zelo frowned.

            “Maybe it is because you haven’t gotten to know her well yet?” Himchan asked.

            Zelo shrugged. “It’s possible.”

            “I’ll take a look at your program chips later.” Yongguk stated.

            “Are we going to see more of Mira?” Jongup asked.

            Himchan laughed. “Of course, we are friends Jongup.”

            “Just friends?” Isi prompted.

            Himchan pursed his lips and shrugged. “I’ve only known her a month, I don’t want to jump into things.”

            “Hey! Are you trying to say something?” Isi crossed her arms across her stomach while Jongup chuckled and kissed her cheek.

            Himchan sighed. “No, I’m not. I just prefer to wait things out more before settling down. I have a sensitive secret and so far it doesn’t seem like she is involved in it so I don’t want to bring her in if she will be leaving soon.”

            “I’m glad you are dating again, Chanie.” Bbang smiled. “She seems like a nice girl to me.”

            “Thanks Bbang.” Himchan smiled to let his best friend know just how important those words were to him.

            The screams outside were louder now, to the point that the rushing traffic wasn’t over powering them. Himchan found an inconspicuous place to park and everyone jumped out of the car, dressed for battle. No one noticed them as they ran toward the fight, too concerned for their own safety. It wasn’t long before they finally came across the monsters and all five of them wondered if they had bitten off more than they could chew.

            “Three of them?” Himchan asked in disbelief.

            “And gross looking…” Isi said in distaste.

            The monsters looked like they were drowned in black sludge the way the substance slid off of them. They were tall with beady black eyes, huge lobster claws, and mouths partially sewn shut. A rotten smell radiated off of them, making everyone gag and turn on their helmet air purifiers while Zelo silently thanked Yongguk for allowing him to still be able to turn off his smelling sensors.

            At the moment the three tall black sludge covered monsters were occupied with a family who hadn’t been able to escape. Himchan cursed himself for not being able to drive here faster, but he knew there had been no way for them to get here in time to save the family. So instead, he pulled out his knives, prompting the rest of the team to pull out their own weapons.

            “Hey! Over here!” Yongguk shouted.

            The monsters snapped their heads around in unison. An awful birdlike screech erupted from their mouths as they began to charge towards Himchan and his friends.

            “Everyone ready?” Yongguk asked. “Himchan and I will take the one on the left, Jongup and Isi will take the middle one and Zelo will deal with the smaller one. Got it?”

            Nods and affirmative shouts answered Yongguk. Once the monsters were closer the warriors ran out to meet them, guns shooting and blades slashing. They moved efficiently, making sure not to get in each other’s way but still the monsters were able to hold their own. Himchan couldn’t afford to watch over Jongup, Zelo, and Isi because he was too caught up with his own foe. Even with both him and Yongguk attacking at the same time, the monster would dodge or use his rock solid claws to block them.  

            It was during one of their combined attacks that the monster blocked both Himchan and Yongguk at the same time with different claws. The monster’s immense strength from just own arm had Himchan’s arms shaking from the strain.

            “I wish Daehyun and Youngjae were here.” Himchan said between gritted teeth. With the last bit of his possible strength he pushed his knives, which were holding back the monster’s blade to the side, letting the monster’s blade slash right beside him so he could get a kick in. The monster stumbled back, giving him and Yongguk a quick reprieve.

            “Yeah,” Yongguk panted. “Youngjae’s expertise would be awesome right now.”

            Himchan lunged forward to gain the monster’s attention, his short knives forcing him to get within a close distance.

            ‘Crap!’ Himchan raised his knives up just in time to stop the blow to his head but there was no way for him to get out from underneath the two claws. All of the monster’s strength was going against him and he wasn’t sure how long he would be able to hold off the immensely sharp objects that were slowly dripping blood from the last victims onto his helmet.

            ‘Any time now, Yongguk.’

            “Himchan, kneel!” Yongguk yelled.

            ‘Weird.’ Himchan immediately fell to his knees, the act was easy thanks to the weight forcing him down. He didn’t question Yongguk’s command, trusting his friend to know what he was doing.

            As soon as his knees hit the damp grass he heard the swoosh of Yongguk’s sword above him. Himchan closed his eyes on reflex to shield them from any blood splatter, even though he was wearing a helmet and didn’t open them again until he felt the claws above him fall with a thump.

            Yongguk had sliced the monster clean through, its shoulders and head separated from the rest of the body. The bubbling blood was leaking out onto the grass, killing all it touched.

            Himchan stood up and brushed the dirt off of his disguise, still panting from the excursion. “You know, for someone who spends all his time in his lab, you are really strong.”

            Yongguk smirked, his chest still rapidly rising and falling. “There is workout equipment in there; you just pretend it isn’t there.”

            “Yes well, it may be time for me to start using it.” They turned to check on their friends and were relieved to see that Jongup and Isi had finished off their target and were helping Zelo.

            “It looks like they have that one under control, why don’t I bandage you up?” Himchan began pulling out a special gauze Yongguk had created that helped skin heal faster.

            “Thanks, Chanie.” Yongguk turned so Himchan could get better access to the cut on his bicep. “Ryan and I are working on making the suits more durable but it seems that the monsters’ weapons keep getting stronger.

            “I’m sure you will figure something out eventually.” Himchan said as he carefully began wrapping the wound. “You always do, Bbang.”

            “Himchan! Watch—“

            Himchan didn’t hear the rest of Isi’s warning as pain clouded all of his senses. He screamed from the immense pain of the claw that had pierced his back.

            Before the self-repairing monster could injure Himchan any further, Isi shot her guns, aiming for the monster’s heart. Both bullets hit their mark, since the monster had been too preoccupied with Himchan’s screams. As the monster fell to the ground, slowly the claw was pulled out of Himchan. Yongguk ran forward, a burning hatred in his eyes, slicing the monster’s head from the body, for good measure.

            Himchan slowly fell to his knees as he tried to hold onto his consciousness. Before he fell entirely to the ground, Jongup was there to catch him. Jongup lifted Himchan, now in normal clothing, onto his back and began racing towards their vehicle, not even waiting to ask if Yongguk could save him in the field; he already knew Yongguk couldn’t.

            Jongup dashed across the field, past random people still running away from the nonexistent danger. He wasn’t pay attention to his surroundings, only the direction he was going, and he only hoped the rest of the team was following close behind him.

            “Don’t die on me, Himchan.” Jongup picked up speed.

            “Himchan?!”

            Jongup skidded to a stop just feet from the car to see who the familiar voice belonged to.

            “Himchan!!” Mira was there with eyes as wide as saucers. She dropped the ice cream she was holding and ran over to Jongup. “What happened?!”

            Jongup hesitated, not sure how to reply when Himchan had only just said earlier that he wasn’t sure if he wanted Mira to know about this side of them.

            “Jongup? Is that you Jongup? What happened?!” Mira shouted as she noticed the blood gradually painting the street was Himchan’s.

            Jongup let his disguise fall away and continued walking to the car, realizing he couldn’t hide their secret anymore if she knew. “There is no time to explain.”

            “Quick Jongup, get him in the backseat!” Yongguk shouted as he finally appeared.

            “Mira?” Zelo blinked in confusion. “What are you doing here?”

            “I was… I was walking by—that doesn’t matter right now.” Mira quickly examined the group and grabbed the keys Jongup had pulled out of Himchan’s pocket.

            “Mi—“

            “Get in the damn car!” She shouted as she hurried to the driver seat of the car. “I’m the only one here who knows how to drive and I’m not letting any of you risk Himchan’s life trying to get home.”

            The team looked at each other, surprised by the turn of events and how Mia wasn’t freaking out.

            “We need to go now or Himchan will die.” Yongguk stepped forward and jumped into the passenger seat, trusting Mira to get them back to his place safer than he could. Immediately after, the three high school students crammed into the back seat and Mira skidded out of the parking lot.

            “Hold on, Himchan.” Mira mumbled as she gripped the steering wheel so tightly her knuckles turned white.

            Mia drove like a bat out of hell getting them back to Yongguk’s house. She had used every trick she knew to make all the lights green, but still she felt that she was taking too long getting them to their destination.

            Mira hadn’t even had time to cut the engine off before Zelo and Yongguk had jumped out of the car. Yongguk raced for the lab as Zelo lifted Himchan out of the car and carried him the rest of the way inside. Mira raced after them towards the lab but hesitated to enter.

            Jongup grabbed her wrist and pulled her inside. “It’s okay, you can come in.”

            “That’s right; this is your first time, isn’t it?” Isi asked.

            Mira gulped as she looked around. “Ye—yeah.”

            Isi sighed. “Of course your first time in has to be for such an awful reason.”

            “I can’t believe Himchan got hurt!” Jongup stomped his foot in anger.

            “Jongup!” Isi was by his side, rubbing his back soothingly, trying to get him to calm down. She shot Mira an apologetic smile before leading her boyfriend away to cool down, leaving Mira alone.

            Mira didn’t move from the place Jongup left her, slowly turning her head around to hesitantly examining her surroundings.

            Zelo frowned as he watched her. It almost looked like she was battling herself internally, but over what he had no idea. “Mira?”

            Mira’s eyes snapped over to Zelo, with a look on her face that gave Zelo the impression that she was lost and looking to him for the answers. ‘Maybe the shock is finally hitting her?’

            “Yongguk and Ryan are almost done healing Himchan. Did you want me to show you the lab or take you to Himchan?”

            Mira’s eyes widened. “You would give me a tour of the lab?”

            “Yes.” Zelo shrugged. “Nothing else to do while we wait for Himchan to wake up.”

            Mira hesitated but it only lasted a second before she hurried towards Zelo, “Could you take me to Himchan?”

            Zelo nodded before spinning on his heels and leading Mira to the back part of the lab where Himchan was resting. They passed Yongguk and Ryan on the way, the couple bickering over Ryan not being informed they were going after the group of monsters. As soon as Himchan came into sight, Mira rushed past Zelo to be by Himchan’s side. She stood there his hand with a pained expression on her face.

            Feeling unneeded, Zelo walked away, going to find Jongup to make sure his friend knew that Himchan would survive.

            “I can’t believe I’d ever feel the need to say this to you but, please wake up. I need to know you are okay.” Mira’s voice was barely over a whisper as she shook her head in disbelief.

            Himchan grunted and his eyes began to twitch. A hopeful feeling rose within Mira’s chest. “Himchan?”

            A moan escaped his lips before Himchan gradually opened his eyes. “Mira?”

            “Himchan.” Mira said in relief as she blinked back unshed tears. She used her other hand to caress his face. “Are you okay?”

            “Yeah, I’ll be fine.” Himchan smiled up at her and rose to a sitting position only to quickly pull Mira closer to him so he could kiss her lips.

            Mira’s shock quickly melted away as she was swept away by Himchan’s intense kiss. Finger’s curled into each other’s hair as they tried to get even closer. Himchan swiped his tongue across her bottom lip before Mira opened to let him in. The kiss deepened but it didn’t seem like enough. Himchan wanted all of her, needed all of her, but he knew that for now this was more than enough. The way his heart soared just from having her in his arms, kissing him back passionately, told him all he needed to know about his feelings.

            He pulled away only when he had become desperate for air. Both of them were panting slightly with flushed faces. Himchan smirked as he Mira’s face. “Feeling even better now.”

            Mira chuckled breathlessly, but didn’t move away from Himchan.

            Himchan gulped down the rising fear in his throat, but continued on since she wasn’t pulling back. “Mira, do you want to be my girlfriend?”

            “Yes.” Mira said immediately with a smile but then slowly her eyes widened as if she was in shock.

            Himchan laughed at her cute reaction. “What, are you surprised you like me so much?”

            He gaze softened as she moved her arms to encircle his waist. “You have no idea.”