Jung Daehyun

In The City of Flowers

Chapter One: Jung Daehyun

 


“Young Master.” The servant, Youngjae called out to me. “Young Master Yongguk, you’re here again? Anyhow, breakfast is served. You’re entering university now so it’s important not to be late for the first day of school.” He nagged.

 

“Alright, alright, I’m going there now. Sheesh, you’re really naggy you know.” I complained.

 

“Young Master, it can’t be helped. I’m a servant that is supposed to attend to every need for my Master.” He smiled as he walked with me back into the house. The moment I walked pass a window and I see my father sitting there reading the newspaper, I've lost my appetite.

 

“On second thought, I’ll be leaving now.” I said, leaving Youngjae half shocked. I quickly grab a coat and left.

 

 

"Alright students, I want you all to introduce yourself one by one." The lecturer said. Argh, introduction again. Goddammit. “I am Jung Daehyun; I decided to enroll in this Agricultural course because after reading Teacher Kang Taejun’s work, I want to study mainly in the agriculture field as he did.” Jung Daehyun…

 

The teacher called out the other students one by one and soon, it was my turn to share. “My name is Bang Yongguk, as for a field… I don’t know about it yet. Uh… I came here to live a rather carefree life.”

 

I can hear the whispers and gossips around me. “Isn’t he second son of the Bang Hospital? Why is the son of a doctor coming here to study agriculture?” “It’s because his older brother is far more superior to him and he knows he wouldn’t win the competition, that’s why.”

 

The teacher made a loud cough to disrupt the gossips of the other students. “I’m glad that there are student who are still interested in this field. As for now, today’s lecture will be dismissed.”

 

“Hey! Wait!” I turned my head to where the voice was coming from, Daehyun, Jung Daehyun, it was his. “Why did you say that in front of everybody? Didn’t you take the entrance exam for this school for your own?”

No. It was for you. “It doesn’t really matter does it?” I replied him with another question.

 

“I’m not fine with it!”

 

“It’s fine. It’s the truth that neither my father nor my brother has any expectations of me. See you then.”

 

“B-But are you going to just let the days pass just like that?”

 

“Same to you, Jung Daehyun, don’t you have things to do today?” I grabbed the shoulder of his, pulling him closer to me, whispering to him “Or perhaps, you want to play with me today?” He quickly slapped my hand away and he blushed so hard that his entire cheeks were red.

 

“I-I’m…” He stuttered, but before he could finish his sentence, I interrupted. “Ah, so you find it disgusting don’t you?”

 

“I-It’s not like tha-” He tried to tell me but I interrupted once again, “Forget it. Anyway, see you soon.”

“Young Master, the car is here to pick you up.” One of the other servants told me.

 

“I’m not going back so soon. Go back first; I’ll be walking around town, alone.” I implemented on the word alone. As I walked through the town, I was thinking back about the past; about how I met a boy, Jung Daehyun.

 

Everyday, I would see a boy peering into our garden through the fences. Hm? He’s here again! This time I must definitely meet him. I thought to myself as I quickly run down the stairs, out of the house to find the boy.

 

“What are you doing?” I spoke right behind him. He got startled and scared that he accidentally dropped a book and immediately ran off before even telling me anything.

 

“H-Hey! Wait up! You dropped something!” I shouted as I took the book and gave chase. He stopped so fast that I almost hit into him.

 

“You… dropped… book…” I panted as I showed the book to him. He held his hands out waiting for me to pass the book back to him. I took a good look at the book before passing it back to him. It was some flower encyclopedia book that looked so badly used.

 

“Were you perhaps looking at the flowers in our garden?” I questioned the boy. He simply nodded his head and got embarrassed about it.

 

“Hey, come on, I’ll show you all the flowers in our garden without looking through those fences.” I said and I grabbed his hands and ran with him back to the house. I signaled him to be quiet so that we would not be found out by the servants in the household. I parted the bush to one side to let him see the wonderland of flowers in our garden and he was literally in awe.

 

“So, what do you think?” I asked.

 

“It’s beautiful! There so many flowers I’ve never seen before! They’re all really pretty!” The boy smiled. Dammit, it struck wonders into my head showing me how pretty this boy is. “T-Thank you very much.” He continued with a very formal tone to me.

 

“Why are you so formal to me?”

 

“B-Because my mother said that there are very important doctors living in this house.” He looked down to the ground, hiding his face from me. I wasn’t pleased with it actually.

 

“It’s my father and my brother who are important, not me. So you don’t have to speak so formally to me.” I told him off.

 

“O-Okay. I’m Jung Daehyun, nice to meet you.” He smiled his bright smile once again, causing me to get almost blind by his smile.

 

“I’m Bang Yongguk. Nice to meet you too.” I returned him a smile. Maybe that was probably when I fell in love with that boy. I kissed the boy on the cheek and he got really embarrassed.

 

“That was a foreign greeting, for close friends of course. Anyway, if you go down by here, you’ll see a narrow road, that’s the alley that will lead you to the main market road. I hope to see you soon, Daehyun.” I told him the way out from the secret door. From then on, Daehyun and I played together everyday in secrecy.

 

Daehyun and I played almost everyday, we were literally close friends and he was my only and only friend. But things didn’t go well after I became fifteen. My father forced me to accompany him to where he played around with the gisaengs which are known as the es. The face of the gisaeng that was serving me suddenly became the face of Daehyun’s. Everything that she does just shows me how Daehyun would be like.

 

Then I realized right away, that I thought of Daehyun more than just a close friend. The moment I knew, I felt uncomfortable staying at the same room of a gisaeng. I immediately took my leave and went home.

 

The next day, I confessed.

 

“I love you.” I said to him. He was shocked to hear so in case he pretended not to hear, I confessed again. “I love you, Daehyun.”

 

“Wha-What? Out of the blue, so-something stupid like th-”

 

“From a long time ago, I loved you.” I took his hand which was shaking so much. Suddenly, the shaking changed into a grip.

 

“I’m sorry.” He looked away from my eyes, feeling guilty. Two words, just two words and it made my life so ing miserable. The voice that said those two words was so hoarse and painful that I almost couldn’t recognize it as his. From then on, he never called my name again neither did he even hang around me again.

“I’m so grateful you could come everyday.” The eldest gisaeng commented.

 

“How can I not come to a house full of beauties? Even if it’s everyday, why do I not seem bored by it?” I questioned myself making the gisaengs around me giggled. I had fun in the gisaengs’ house and I got drunk.

 

“You’re drunk, Master Yongguk. Let me get you a car.” The youngest gisaeng told me. I was walking towards the car until I accidentally fell on her. Before my entire body fall on her, I managed to grab her arms to secure myself well. I felt a fleeting sense of softness with the fragrance of flower, I doubt he would be anything like that, but still, until today, he was the most beautiful man I ever seen.

 

Just then, the gisaeng cut my thoughts off. “Yongguk-ssi… um, will you come again?” She asked shyly, looking down but I could see her cheeks blushed with a vibrant color of red.

 

I was hesitant to reply but I just ended up saying “I think so. Maybe I will be back tomorrow.”

 

“R-Really?” She immediately shot her head up and smiled. “I will be waiting! Even if it’s tomorrow or the day after! See you then, Yongguk-ssi!” I smiled back to her and left.

The next day, I went to school with a huge hangover and it really . Hangover with migraine is not the best combination you can have for a full ing day ahead of you. I sat down at my own seat and immediately put my head down trying to get a short rest before the lecture starts. Just then, I could feel a presence beside me. I lifted up my head and I saw Daehyun looking at me.

 

“Wh-What is it?” I got startled by his presence and the fact that he was actually there to even standing near me. Is he going to lecture me for being a total nuisance? Oh god, my life can’t get any worse.

 

“You know… Today, do you have any plans?” He asked.

 

“Plans?” I thought of the gisaeng whom I told her that I might be coming over today. “Plans… I don’t if I could say I have or I don’t…”

 

“If you don’t, why don’t we go home together? We haven’t done that for quite some time already.”

 

“Eh?” Go home together? What’s happening? Is this some sort of new karma?

 

“Didn’t we always go home together a lot before? Up until the church.” He said, trying to amend the sentence he previously said.

 

“W-We did but…” Daehyun was the one who avoided me so much ever since I confessed to him, but today, he was just different.

 

“If you are busy then I gue-” I cut him off before he finish his sentence. “It’s okay, I’m free. Let’s go home together then.”

 


Ohohoho, BANGDAE!!!! YASSSSSSSSS. If you don't love bangdae, you're weird. HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE BANGDAE. Look at them being awkward and shy and and and just ASDFGHJKL. I wish bangdae had more interaction tho.

Well, first chap is up and I'm too tired and lazy to write the second one. Maybe I'll write it tomorrow or something. I'm so tired from school. Ugh, it's only day 3 of my second year in a design school and I have 2 on-going projects already. I don't know if I can even upload my stories fast enough from now. 

Currently, I'm having a writer's block for My Sunshine fic so bare with me for a moment. >< I'll write finish this plot first and then I'll focus back on My Sunshine. I'm sorry guys. T_T)/

That's all. I don't wanna rant and make this whole thing long and whatsoever.

-NANA-