Mr. Choi

I'll be your Big Brother

I have to admit that our beginning was awkward or let’s face it: wrong. I have to meet with Minho twice a week but he has no intention of seeing me again. I think I wanted to know too much. It was too early. I have to learn how to communicate with him. His head teacher was right. He is a difficult child. I’m standing in front of the Choi’s family villa. Yeah, it isn’t just a house. It’s a villa. A butler appears in the front door. God! They even have a butler! He shows me the way to the living room. When we get there I immediately notice a tall man in plain black suit. I guess that he is Mr. Choi because he looks just like older version of Minho.

‘Good morning, Minho’s Big Brother’ he says with a fake smile. I have a feeling that he has disliked me from the start.

‘I want you to know that I wasn’t willing to ask your organization for help. I can handle everything by myself so it is pointless’ handle it himself? That’s funny. If he is such a great father why his son is mute and why he is getting scared so easily? I look at him carefully. He doesn’t look like someone who could abuse his child but there is something strange in his gaze. I can’t figure out what is it.

‘And what about your wife, Sir? Is she here?’ I ask and turn around hoping to find Mrs. Choi somewhere.

‘She is dead. She passed away last year’ comes a cold reply. I know that Minho stopped talking during his education in middle school so her death wasn’t the reason. I don’t know why I want to solve this puzzle so badly. It’s stronger than me.

‘I’m very sorry. How did she…’ I start but he interrupts immediately.

‘I’m afraid that you want to know too much, young man’ I nod with shame. It’s Minho’s father so I wanted to make a good impression but I only made a fool of myself.

‘Where is Minho?’ I ask to change the subject. Expression on his face changes. He smiles widely.

‘ I think that my little prince is still sleeping. He is such a sleepyhead. I will go wake him. Please wait here’ Little Prince? Really? Everything here is just too odd. After few minutes he comes back with his son still yawning and robbing his eyes.

‘Hi, Minho. Where would you like to go today?’ I ask. He looks around trying to find something to write on.

‘Minho, here darling’ says his father passing him a piece of paper and a pan. He is too nice. But not in the ert way. Just too nice.

I don’t know. He shows me the paper. He sits next to his father who wraps his hand around boy’s waist. Minho looks like he is completely comfortable with it.

‘Think about it just for a while. Is there some place you want to go? Come on’ I encourage him.

Let’s stay at home.  He writes. I nod awkwardly. I don’t want to be here with this man monitoring every word I say. Minho gets up. I follow him to his gorgeous room. It’s huge, expensive and definitely designed by some famous decorator. Minho sits on his bed.

‘You have a great relation with your father’ I say. He agrees. I have to do something to make him relax.

‘Let’s play a game. We are going to ask questions like ‘who is the smartest in this room?’ and then we will point someone as a reply, ok?’ he writes short ok.

‘I will start. Who is the clumsiest in this room?’ I immediately point myself. He raises an eyebrow with disbelieve.

‘You don’t believe me? I’m actually the clumsiest person in entire Korea. My nickname is Onew and every strange thing I do is my Onew Condition’ he laughs. For the first time. It’s a silent laugh of course but still it’s a great success.

Can I call you that?  He asks.

‘Call me what?’ I want to know.

Onew.

‘Of course but I think you forgot about something’ he thinks for a while and then he corrects his statement

Onew-hyung  I smile with satisfaction. I mess his hair. He pushes me lightly. I purposely fall out of the bed and act like It’s very painful.

‘Omo, Minho! How could you! I think I’m gonna die!’ he laughs and write something.

Was that an Onew Condition?

‘Indeed my friend, indeed’ he is laughing so much that he is rolling on the bed. Suddenly Mr. Choi appears in the room. I stand up from the floor.

‘Minho, your piano teacher is waiting’ he says. He is looking at me with jealous expression. Maybe he thinks that Minho will push him to the second place because of me?

Appa, can Onew-hyung stay?  The man hesitate for a while.

Appa? He writes.

‘No, Minho. The teacher already came. You have to go, Mr. Lee’ says Mr. Choi. Even if it was just for a while I felt that we became Big Brother and Little Brother. I’m glad that he opened up a little.

Choi Minho, why do I care about you so much?

 

Yey, another chapter is done! But we have even more questions instead of answers. Why Minho has such a strange relation with his father? How Minho's mother died? I will try to update soon. I hope that you still like my story. Comments are demanded! Oh-Kay fighting!