Not good beggining

I'll be your Big Brother

I am really curious about my new Little Brother. He will be the first kid that I’ll take care of. My coordinator told me that the boy is mute and quite rich. I wonder how we will be able to communicate. Today I’m going to meet him and his head teacher. I’m already a little bit late so I decide to run the rest of the way to the exclusive high school that Minho attends to. Near the school gate I notice a group of kids in expensive Nike shoes. This expensiveness here is driving me crazy.  I feel ashamed of my cheep trainers. Halls are perfectly clean. How is this possible in all-boys school? The building is so big that I get lost a few times before I finally find the right office. Minho’s head teacher- Park Junsu greets me with a small bow.

‘So you are the boy from Big Brothers Big Sisters, didn’t you?’ he asks when I sit on the opposite chair. I nod awkwardly. Who else could I be?

‘Minho still has classes but it’s ok because I wanted to talk with you alone anyway’ the teacher  continues.

‘Minho used to talk in the past but he suddenly stopped. It happened during the first year of middle school. No one knows the reason. I’m not sure if Minho knows it himself. He is very secretive. I have to admit that he has no friends in his class. Be delicate with him because he gets scared easily’ according to the description of the boy it will be harder than I expected to create a relation between us. Te bell rings and kids start to get out of the school. After few minutes we hear someone knocking to the door. Mr. Park tells him to come in. A slender boy appears in the room. He has got messy brown hair and big chocolate eyes. God, he is just too pretty. He takes a blue notebook out of his pocket and writes something quickly.

Hello, I’m sorry for being late.

‘That’s nothing Minho. Sit down, please’ the kid chooses the chair next to me. I don’t know why but my heart beat speeds up a little.

‘Hi, Minho. I’m Lee Jinki-your new Big Brother’ I say breaking the awkward silence.

‘I thought that we should go for an ice cream to get to know each other better’ I suggest with friendly smile.

Do what you want. I don’t care. Comes a short reply. Why he doesn’t care? It’s so irritating.

‘But you have to have your own opinion’ I try again. He shakes his head and shows me the message that he has showed me before. This annoying brat! I force myself to make the final decision. Few minutes later we are on our way to ice cream shop. But when we get there we have the same problem again.

‘One banana please and one… what flavor would you like Minho?’ I ask trying to sound as kind as possible. The boy shows me the same piece of paper. Again! This couldn’t be! He has to make his own decisions or I’m going to freak out. I take a big breath.

‘No, Minho. I want to buy you a flavor you like. There is no sense in buying you one that you hate. So? Show me your favorite’ I can see expression of hesitation appearing on his face. I wait patiently but seller is getting irritated. Minho looks like he is struggling with himself. Finally the chocolate ice cream is chosen. I have no idea why he has such a problem with making decisions.

‘What do you do in your free time?’ I ask when we finally gets out from the ice cream shop. I noticed that he desn't talk about himself without direct questions. He takes out his notebook again.

Nothing special  I raise my eyebrow. He sighs and adds I’m reading. As I said- nothing special  

‘Of course it is special. You know how many people read books this days? Maybe 1 out of 10’ I disagree. I think that his self confidence is extremely low. I decide to ask the final question. Question about something I wanted to know from the beginning.

‘Why did you stop talking?’ he acts like he haven’t heard.

‘Yah! Answer me!’ I say. He writes something quickly.

I don’t want to talk about this. It’s late. I have to go. He begins to walk faster. I grab his wrist and pull him back. He is struggling but I won’t let him go that easily.

‘You are not going anywhere’ I say with power. His eyes winded. He is scared. He is so scared. I let go of his hand and hug him tightly. He is still trembling. When he calms down he pushes me away to write a statement.

Please, don’t do this again. I was scared. I thought that you are going to hurt me.

‘I won’t. I promise’

Choi Minho, what have happened to you?    

 

Hi everyone! Sorry for my bad english but this story appeared in my head few weeks ago and I just wanted to share it with you. I hope that you are curious why Minho stopped talking and that you will follow this story. Comments are demanded! I will do my best to update soon. Oh-Kay fighting!