Prologue : It Will Be Fine

Before Winter Comes

It will be fine…

She was there. I held my breath.

The cackling voice of her shoes hitting the floor before she stopped walking, or the uneven breaths she let out, causing a thin, white smoke flew to the air, I noticed it all. The way she sighed, brushed her hair off of her beautiful face, and puffed a heavy breath seeing the weather outside, my eyes caught it all.

Why? You don’t like winter anymore?

She brought her hands to her hips, groaning lowly. Even though with that annoyed look, she was still undeniably gorgeous. I tilted my head, shoving my hands into my jeans pocket. I couldn’t take my eyes off of her, not even for a second. She was just too beautiful. I didn’t even know she’d grown this stunning.

After some time, she slowly relaxed her tensed shoulder. Losing her hands’ grip on her hips, she sighed. She took some steps further from the door and extended her hand. Drops of snowflakes fell onto her palm. She kept mum.

It was my turn to sigh.

Look! It’s snowing! Finally, it’s snowing!

I could hear it. Her voice, echoing inside my head, filling my empty heart, reminding me of the beautiful us. How could it be so clear? She had stopped saying that for quite some time. The sight of snow falling down was no longer attractive for her. She even found it disturbing sometimes. So why was this pitiful me still hearing those words she used to say?

She clenched her extended fist, grasping the snowflakes as she shut her eyes tight. What was it? What did she feel? What was she thinking? My curious thought started asking to nowhere, to nobody, to the emptiness that’s my whole being. As I opened my mouth, all that came out was a sigh, a bitter choke of breath that sounded so pathetic.

When she opened her eyes again, I realized she had been holding back her tears. I pressed my lips to one another. Why? Why are you crying? Did the snow make you feel bad? Do you hate winter that much?

She let go of the snowflakes, let it drop onto the ground. She then extended her hand again, her palm facing down this time, and clenched her fist, trying to reach something we both know she couldn’t. You should stop that. It’s useless. You wouldn’t make it. It would only hurt you-- no, hurt us more.

A tear escaped her beautiful eye as her hand grabbed nothing in the air. I smiled. Her tears she shed had brought mine to shed too. But then again, I still had my smile. It’s okay, I mentally said, didn’t exactly know to whom. It’s okay to cry. We can’t be strong all the time. We’re humans after all. It’s okay.

Nobody knows how much I want to wipe those tears away, to kiss her pain away, to embrace her with all I have. But I was helpless against the destiny. I couldn’t do anything the destiny didn’t want me to do. It , indeed. But then again, aren’t we all the same?

When she opened her eyes, she had her eyes on me. On me, straight to my eyes.

I stopped smiling. I got stunned, frozen, unable to breath.

Can you see me?

I tried my best to suppress a smile, even though it looked forced, but I had to. See me right here, I’m smiling. I didn’t want to appear weak in front of her. She always knew I was strong enough not to shed a tear.

But she didn’t smile back.

Slowly, I walked to her. Carefully, because I was afraid she might back away. Luckily she didn’t. She stood still, blankly stared at me, her cheeks wet and eyes swollen. As I stood close to her, I brought my hand to her cheek, and wiped her tears with my thumb.

Now can you see me?

But again, I got nothing.

I bitterly chuckled and immediately hugged her, who didn’t hug me back. It’s okay, I didn’t mind. I rubbed her back and closed my eyes. Even now, I couldn’t feel her warmth, I couldn’t smell her scent, I could barely touch her. It hurt, but I was okay.

As the wind blew, more tears were shed, but this heart kept assuring itself. And I could do nothing but listen.

It will be fine…

It will be.

****

Hey, JeTidals!! Great to see you guys here but please remember that I've warned you about this story :)

And P.S., I also really like YulTi.