Cold Winter Night

The Red String

Chapter 3.5 -

 

Yawn…... I rub my heavy eyes, the chills of this winter night is really unfriendly lately. I woke up couples times each night as winter coming up soon. The chill and the breeze seems lingering everywhere even though I've turn the heater on. My blanket doesn’t help either, I've layered it in three layers but the night always successfully wake me up in the middle of the night.

 

I sit still on my bed, curling up my body with my blanket, trying hard to gain consciousness. At this rate, I just have to make a hot chocolate milk then off I go to sleep. So, as usual, I lazily drag my feet and put it onto the slipper. Brrr…. The chills sways my feet. I tiptoed, as usual, afraid to wake the whole company in the middle of the night. Eh, the light in the dining room is on? Did Aunty Han forgot to turn it off?

 

I was walking slowly in the hallway but I can hear ruckus. Hmm… Appa and Omma? At this time of hours?

 

"…..oppose this kind of absurd decision"

 

"This is not us to decide"

 

I veered up to the wall, try to hears out their conversation.

 

"What? Not us to decide? So who? Kwon grandmother... no… Mr. Kwon's decision?" Omma's voice raises up.

 

What are they talking about?

 

"So how's our Chaerin's decision? She has no voice at all for this?"

 

Me? Are they talking about me?

 

"I couldn’t promise you anything"

 

"Psshhh… I know, you never keep your promises anyway.." Omma scoffs harshly. I was so shocked by the way she talks to Appa. Usually she'll be nice and slow, even use honorific words sometimes. What's this?

 

"I'm sorry…."

 

"Why? Is your sorry solves anything? I know I can't count on you for this one. I'll talk to him personally then"

 

"That won't solve anything…"

 

"So you expect me to sit down and doing nothing while they can ruin my precious daughter's future?"

 

"It's not like that… And it's not as bad as you imagine"

 

"Yeah, stuck in this kind of family till eternity isn't bad. Only crazy woman believe that kind of fairytale"

 

Again… Omma scoffs while using this impolite sarcasm tone to Appa. Is this for real? I'm not dreaming aren't I?

 

"Please lower your voice, you can wake everyone up and please calm yourself down" Appa's weak voice swish through the air.

 

My brain seems like freezing for a moment, I stand there in between nightmare and reality, I don’t want to hear more but my legs doesn't seems to obey me.

 

"No matter what happen, I'll talk to Mr. Kwon, you can't stop me.."

 

"Yeobo…"

 

"Don't talk any more than this… I'm patient already with you and with this bull tradition of yours. I can sacrifice myself but I won't let you sacrifice Chaerin's future for them"

 

"I'm so sorry yeobo… But please, please think about it again. It's not that they'll enslave Chaerin or something"

 

"You… How dare you bring that kind of word in front of me? Are you crazy? Are you out of your mind? Enslavement? What do you think I am? I'm not an enslavement? So what am I? The Empress's right hand? Don't I look like slave enough in your eyes? How much slavish I should get more?"

 

BANG!!!! Omma's words cutting deep into my ear now. I entangled my hand tightly, my whole body is shaking so hard I try to hold it real tight. Please brain, please, get me out of here, I don't want to hear more. I have heard enough, please, please let me go….

 

"Yeobo…"

 

"Shut up! If I know I marry this kind of jerk, I won't do this! You… you're the biggest mistake I've ever made and marry you is the biggest mistake I've made in my whole life. So I won't let myself make another oblivion mistake by sacrificing Chaerin!"

 

Long pause. I hold my breath, I don’t know but the air didn't chill my body out. I can barely feel the cold breeze. My heart seems like a frozen ground now.

 

What did Omma just said? Appa.. a jerk? What the hell is this? What the hell did I heard just now? They always look solid and happy and… good. Why this kind of conversation exist? Are they really my harmonious parents? Or they're just putting up a harmonious mask for this whole time?

 

"We have Tabi; he's more than qualifying for that role. Why they want to take Chaerin? Are they crazy? Aren't they tormenting me enough?!"

 

"You know the reason why… Please stop this now, we can woke someone up right now"

 

"I won't let this thing goes smoothly like what they've planned it to be. I won't let Chaerin serves this family and goes through the same hellish miserable path as me. You already seen Jiyong, right? Only God knows how to heal him and you know how hard that kid to be handled. In such a young age he's been giving his family a hard hammer and you expect me to let Chaerin taking care of that punk for the rest of her life? No! you hear me!"

 

BANG BANG!!

 

One shot that kills two birds. What is this? What did I hear just now? They chose me to serve Jiyong Oppa in the future? I thought it's Tabi's job? Why? Why they choose me?

 

"Yeobo, please…."

 

"I'm tired, I'm going to sleep. I'm going to talk about this and you better not getting on my way. I've lived patiently enough under all this depressing cycle and never… NEVER have I complained to them about it. They better be wise about their decision on Chaerin!"

 

I can hear Omma's steps leaving the dining room. Not too long after that Appa's step fade away as well as the light in the dining room.

 

I was so shocked I can't even move my feet. No tears rolling up and not even a single voice echoing on my brain. Everything seems blank. I can't even think sanely now…

 

I'm serving Jiyong Oppa in the future… this is nothing shocking; between me and Tabi, it's either him or me; I've known it since I learnt that our family serves Jiyong Oppa's family as tradition from my great grandfather. I'm pretty calm about it. I know it's a bad news but it's not that depressing.

 

What makes me shock is the fact that Appa and Omma are actually didn’t get along. I never thought that Omma feels enslaved by the fact that our family has to serve Jiyong Oppa's family for the rest of our lives.

 

And it makes me curious of the reason why The Kwons choosing me rather than Tabi. Is there still something I didn't know that Omma and Appa hide from me?

 

My head hurt, my whole body goes limp. With all the strength I have, I can finally drag myself bag into my room. That night I couldn’t sleep.

 

After that day, I try to act normal in front of my parent. I don't know if I play a good actress or they're too busy with their own secret to notice a slight change of my affection towards them. I can't tell Tabi nor Jiyong Oppa. I bet both of them could be shocked to death. I try to hide it deep inside my mind.

 

Sometimes, when my mind wanders around, I'll remember this painful suspense feeling and my body shivers. I can't look up to my parents as well as before. That is why I find Kwon uncle as a perfect role-model for me.

 

He's tough, discipline, cold-hand, but he has the vibe of a leader; something that my dad lacks of. He's undeniably cold hearted but his decision is made based on a wise thinking which my mom lacks of. Have I been categorized as seditious daughter by thinking like this?

 

I know, nobody's perfect; but at least, Kwon uncle has the value I respect. Leadership and composure. I live up my life looking up to him since I couldn't respect my parents as much as before.

 

I'm not that close to Kwon uncle but I do remember a simple event between him and me a couple days after I accidently overhear my parent's dissension.

 

That day, Kwon uncle invite me to dinner. Strangely, he didn’t invite my parents. It's only him, me, Jiyong Oppa and Tabi. Such a weird arrangement I thought. But I didn't think too much about it. In the other hand, Omma making such a big fuss about it as I've predicted. She looks terribly scared and anxious. She looks pale and I feel sorry for her but I just pretend that I didn't know anything when in fact, I know something.

 

We're having a silent dinner when suddenly Kwon uncle ask me what will I be in the future. Jiyong Oppa's pupil goes wild and Tabi sending me those weird aura. I pause for a while, try to squeeze my brain to get the pulp of answer that Kwon uncle wanted to hear. Both Jiyong Oppa and Tabi exchanging glance and watching me silently while leaving their food. Kwon uncle still continuing his appetite like there's nothing wrong with his question.

 

"I would like to be a journalist, at first…" I said slowly, facing Kwon uncle who keeps focusing on his food. I could hear both Jiyong Oppa and Tabi gulped. No reaction. The air becomes stiff and awkward. Did I get him the wrong answer?

 

"At first?" he keeps his composure and grabs his drink.

 

"Ye-yes… At first, I want to be a journalist but then I change it. Because of some circumstances, I erase a specific job description and would like to do a good thing in whatever job I'll choose in the future" yeah, like serving your son till I die. Well, of course I didn't say it.

 

"When you want to do a good thing, you can't start by doing good things. You have to start to be a strong person first. You also need yourself to do a nasty bad things to realize what kind of good things you'll do in the future" he's shifting his eyes from his food onto me. Fixed. Flaring.

 

"I.."

 

"You'll understand in time. Let's continue eating" he raised his palm to me. So I stop.

 

"Ye-yes…."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Hi there :)

Sorry, it's not a full chapter but surely a dark one

I just want to relate this story to everyday life experiences

I got you wondering about Jiyong's illness before... 

And sorry for adding up more spices to guess what's the reason they choose Chaerin than Tabi

For now, I'll leve it up to your imagination

Hope I could reveal the detail very soon in twisting plot ^^

 

Thanks for all the comment

I heard about the 'JIKO' things and the second ALS from GD

So yeah, I got a little Mental Breakdown for a while

But, oh fak what's the truth is

Whether GD really dating you-know-who or not, SKYDRAGON will still sailing

And I, a loyal Infiknight and alaso GDCL supporter, won't budge on whoever they want to date

I still support GD and CL no matter what

Even if JIKO thing is true, so what? It's not like they're gonna married or something, kekekeke...

So, let's not bashing on GD CL or you-know-who

Be a wise Skydragon shipper and stay strong

We'll through this all together ^^

 

xxx,

[]