.four

Order Of Business

Chapter Four

Poison Dilemma

 

      “It’s official.” Daehyun muttered as he absentmindedly shuffled a deck of cards, his eyes shut in exhaustion as he glanced down at his phone, lying facedown whilst he used his shoulder to adjust his earpiece. “I hate this kid.”

 

      “I’m sure it’s not that bad,” came Himchan’s distracted reply through the earpiece.

 

      “By all means, wanna switch?” Daehyun replied.

 

      “As…appealing…as that sounds, I’m gonna have to pass.” Himchan’s voice echoed through the earpiece. “Actually none of that sounds appealing. I hate kids and I hate you.”

 

      “After all we’ve been through together.” Daehyun stated simply, as he once more began to pass out the cards towards the other players, leaving five for himself.

 

      “It’s because of all we’ve been through together.” Himchan replied. “And why do you always call me? Don’t you have anyone else?” Daehyun didn’t answer, and Himchan didn’t complain, as both already knew the supposed response. “Listen. It’s not gonna be much longer. You just gotta finish the mission and then you can kill him or whatever. I’m sure Yongguk wouldn’t mind.”

 

      “I’m trying, but I can barely use the bathroom alone in that house, let alone do what needs be done.” Daehyun retorted, his voice slick with bitterness as he watched the others look at him with gazes trying to see past his bluff. When they realized there was nothing there and he just continued raises, a few decided to fold.

 

      “Try harder.”

 

      “She is always there. She’s got her gaze everywhere. It’s like she never goes out.” Daehyun snapped, placing down his straight flush, beating all the rest. He gave a victorious smirk before taking the middle pile of cash and other items of importance like a gold watch and a very expensive looking wedding ring.

 

      “Always fun playing with you.” Daehyun stated simply, as he easily ignored the scowls.

 

      “Cheat?” Himchan asked.

 

      “I would never.” Daehyun replied, counting the cash with an easy smile.

 

      “Yeah. I’m sure you wouldn’t.” Himchan said, his doubt obvious.

 

      “Give back my wedding ring. My wife’s gonna kill me.” Stated one of the men he had been playing against for the past few hours. Daehyun merely blinked as he glanced at the ring, which sat at the top of his pile of riches.

 

      “Win it back,” Daehyun replied.

 

      “I have nothing else.” The man retorted.

 

      “Not my fault.” Daehyun felt a twinge of smug satisfaction as he watched the man’s fist slightly clench, signaling a ready hand in punching distance. “You wanna fight me then?” Daehyun took a step closer, his hand immediately reaching over for the ring, a tiny thing made of pure gold based on the color and weight. His lip twitched into a smirk, watching the man’s eyes linger on the ring before drifting back up to his face. “For this little thing?”

 

      Daehyun blinked, wasting not a moment to throw the ring in the mitts of the crowded and dirty ground. The room was far too loud to even hear the cheap jewelry clash around the ground. The man’s fist once more clenched, before lunging out towards Daehyun’s right cheek.

 

      Alcohol was all the more clear as the attacker grew closer, causing the clumsy man to be all too easy to dodge before tripping over Daehyun’s leg that was quick to fall in front of him.

 

      The stumbling man brought Daehyun know satisfaction, as he had first thought it would. Just raging disappointment.

 

      Fights broke out in this club so often that a little dispute like this one was merely just another Thursday, not worth anyone even putting down their drinks. This made things easy for Daehyun to escape, not forgetting to grab his winning pile of money, leaving the other junk, deeming the idea of selling it to be much too troublesome.

 

       Bar fight?

 

       Hardly.

 

      Daehyun hadn’t even noticed Himchan ending the phone call, and with a sigh he took out the earpiece.

 

       I got clean up duty this month.

 

       no one died.

 

       Keep it that way.

 

      Daehyun sighed, rubbing his temples as he dragged his into his car, glancing out the rear view mirror towards the two men walking out the club soon after he left. He wasted no time in pulling out the folder Seoyeon had given him three nights prior. One of the men from the picture easily matched the man walking out at that moment.

 

      Daehyun leaned his head up against the seat, pulling out a cigarette from a carton, soon bringing out a lighter next, his eyes never once leaving their nearing figures from his rearview mirror. The flame from the lighter filled his peripheral vision, and he quickly lit the cig before tossing the lighter onto the passenger seat.

 

      The two men stopped near his car, giving him greater room to study their faces, finding the on the right to fit the picture exactly. Daehyun let the smoke escape from his lips just as the men neared his passenger door, quickly opening it and stepping in while the other waited outside like a loyal dog.

 

      “Hello Moto.” The man immediately greeted.

 

      Daehyun let out another huff of smoke. “Zico.”

 

      “Hear rumors you been working for the rich now.” Zico stated, turning his head to glance at the other. Daehyun’s expression was unwavering.

 

      “I know. I spread ‘em.” Daehyun replied, turning his head towards the other.

 

      “Trying to lure me out?” Zico slightly smirked, but his eyes were without amusement. “You know I got a job to do. Don’t need you to get in the way just cause you gone soft.”

 

      Daehyun raised a brow, but hesitated to speak. “I got a job to do, Z.”

 

      “So do I. Dilemma now isn’t it.”

 

      “Word’s running that you’re taking out the Yoo family.”

 

      “You’d know.”

 

      “I’mma need you to hold off on it.”

 

      “Why?” Zico leaned back, leg bent and propped up on the dashboard. “I don’t exactly hear much threat to back up that order.”

 

      “Listen, we both got jobs, and I don’t see why we both can’t get them filled. Not like they really contradict each other.” Daehyun replied, and Zico’s brows rose past his bangs before he let out a throaty chuckle.

 

      “Not quite sure they don’t, what with you protecting the Yoo boy.” Zico stated with a smile.

 

      “I’m out of a job if the kid dies.” Daehyun took another drag from the cigarette, eyes never leaving Zico. “Your group isn’t one for dragged out crimes. Your games aren’t usually so long and played out.”

 

      “You didn’t call me out here to talk about my new interest in games. You’re dragging this out.” Zico’s eyes narrowed. “Why? Telling me to back off.”

 

      Daehyun smirked. “I don’t need your reckless band of rejects to start with me.”

 

      “We aren’t petty bank robbers anymore. We’ve moved up.”

 

      “I can see that.” Daehyun leaned back. “Heard ‘bout the girl. Kidnapped by clowns.” Zico’s lips slightly curled slightly. “Found hanging from the carnival opening, hung like a puppet with string sewn into her body.”

 

      “Old habits are hard to completely kill.” Zico replied, and Daehyun’s head tilted in response.

 

      “Fair warning for a fair game. I got a job to do.” Daehyun replied simply. “Your war against the Yoo family was none of my concern once, but things have changed.”

 

      “Protecting civilians now. That’s rich, coming from you.”

 

      “We both know they aren’t just ordinary civilians.” Daehyun reached over and opened the door, his eyes glancing over towards the gun, merely inches away from Zico’s fingers. “We are after the same thing. Let’s see who gets to it first.”

 

      Zico’s eyes once more narrowed, but this time they were much more dangerous than before. “Do you understand what you’re doing?”

 

      “Gee, I hope so.” Daehyun retorted, face expressionless. “If I didn’t, this conversation would be very anti-climatic.”

 

      “You declaring war then?”

 

      “That’s a very quick assumption, Z.”

 

      It was silent and Zico quickly glanced over to look Daehyun in the eyes. “Correct assumption?”

 

      Daehyun slightly smiled, calmly opening the driver door and stepping out of the car. Zico swiftly tried to do the same, but soon discovered that the passenger door wouldn’t budge. Tilting his head to the side, Daehyun let out a rather unamused glance towards Zico’s lackey who immediately attempted to open the passenger door from the outside while Daehyun calmly walked towards the other side of the door.

      

      “Don’t ya just hate cheap foreign cars,” Daehyun stated, glancing at Zico’s slightly panicked expression through the glass. Zico shouted something, the the sound proof car made the voice die. Daehyun smirked, making a shrugging motion that he couldn't hear the other. The banging continued, and Daehyun tilted his head to the side, flicking his thumb over a button in his pocket, causing the window to roll down a pinch. He was able to hear the other’s curses through the tiny crack of the window.

 

      “Let him go. This breaks the code.” The lackey ordered, and Daehyun nonchalantly shrugged as he leaned against a nearby car.

 

      “Code? This isn’t high school where you can press a bunch of moral rules over another’s actions.” Daehyun’s lips lifted in the smallest of smiles.

 

      “You put a bomb in your own car!” Zico exclaimed, slamming his open palm against the window, his eyes widened like a trapped animal.

 

      “A bomb?” Daehyun let out a hollow chuckle. “Too much noise. I find gas to be a slower and more quiet approach to killing rodents." Zico made a motion with his hands, but Daehyun's amused murmur caused Zico's actions to come to a halt. "I wouldn't...you'll find this posion to be a bit more...potient to our kind.”

 

      The colorful set of words that flew from Zico’s quick lips almost made Daehyun pause.

 

      “You’ve done a lot worse for a lot less, Z.” Daehyun retorted, and Zico’s face immediately lost all emotion.

 

      “What do you want?”

 

      “Simple. A favor.”

 

      “You threaten my life, just to ask a favor?”

 

      “I’m a romantic at heart,” Daehyun stated in return, his lips still in the shape of a smile. Zico’s expression slightly lightened, but the cold spark never left his eyes.

 

      Daehyun saw the look of worry on the loyal lackey’s face, and was almost tempted to activate the gas just for show, but decided against it just as his hand hovered over the button, tucked securely in his pocket. He let out a quiet sigh, pressing his body firmly against the car behind him as he stared into Zico’s unblinking eyes for a moment longer before glancing away.

 

      “Fine. What’s the favor?” Zico asked. Daehyun didn’t hesitate to unlock the door, and Zico didn’t hesitate to rush out. “You’re a real . You know that.”

 

      “I’ve heard.”

 

⚉—••—⚇

 

      “It’s kind of difficult to concentrate with you-” Youngjae began, only to get interrupted by a rather placid looking Junhong.

 

      “Staring bothering you?” Junhong asked, his eyes barely open as usual. Youngjae didn’t know why his sister had to hire so many people to watch him at all hours of the day, but he suspected that Junhong, or Zelo as the boy repeatedly insisted, was another extension of Jung Daehyun. Ever since the man entered his life, Youngjae had found it difficult to properly study, causing his GPA to drastically fall from a 4.95 to a 4.85. It was the most drastic fall of his academic career, and he had no one to blame except a snarky bodyguard who barely even showed up anymore.

 

      “Yes. Go away. You’re an eyesore.” Youngjae retorted as harshly, but Junhong was once more unaffected.

 

      “Now, now,” came a voice that almost made Youngjae want to repeatedly bang his head onto the table. “Don’t be rude to your friends. It’s tough work standing around you for cheap salary.”

 

      “I want a raise.” Junhong said, his eyes flickering to Daehyun.

 

      “I’ll think about it.” Daehyun effortlessly sat down next to the boy, the library table big enough for all of them, making Youngjae regret not taking the single tables. Frowning at his tardy bodyguard, he closed his calculus text book and scowled. “Did I interrupt. Sorry.”

 

      The apology caught Youngjae off guard, easily disarming his retort; which Daehyun took advantage of immediately.

 

      “Did that sound convincing? I’m trying to work on my pleasantries so I can politely tell your sister just how much of a pain you are in my ,” Daehyun said with a closed eyed smile as he placed a wad of cash in front of Junhong, or Zelo, who nonchalantly began to count it.

 

      “Pleasantries are more difficult to the lesser beings to pick up on, so I’m not surprised,” Youngjae said, his head tilting to the side as Daehyun leaded forward, both elbows on the table as his chin laid comfortably on the heel of his palm. Youngjae continued. “You couldn’t tell the difference between Atlantis and Australia, you no talent moron.”

 

      The smile never disappeared from Daehyun’s face, but the immediate retort did earn the older male’s eyes snapping open. Their gazes locked, both unable to blink at the pure tense aura that promptly followed. Youngjae once again found that his studies had began to drift from his mind again, a reaction that usually followed in his bodyguard’s annoying presence. The irritation that flashed between the two, suddenly ignited in their connected eyes before Daehyun broke the silence by letting out a rather cold chuckle.

 

      Youngjae expression only got emptier in response.

 

      “You’re annoying.” The braniac stated, and Daehyun’s chuckle ended.

 

      “Oh young  Jae-Jae.” Daehyun began, leaning forward once more. “Spoken by the man who’s only company, ever, has to be paid just to be in the same room as you. Those teachers you listen so earnestly to, paid. All the staff in your house, paid. Me, paid, very much btw. That means ‘by the way’, if you didn’t get the memo. Junhong, Jongup- all paid.” Daehyun expression emptied. “Who’s the annoying one?”

 

      Youngjae’s face turned cold, his hand flicking the book away from him as he suddenly stood up. His bag was in his hand in an instant, his legs carrying him to the exit.

 

      “Aw. Did I hurt your feelings?” Daehyun’s voice carried from behind him, causing Youngjae to walk faster. “That’s good. Thought we’d never leave the no smoking area.”

 

      Youngjae was silent as Daehyun followed behind him, walking as if he had not just insulted the easily offended other. The walking never ceased, and Youngjae hadn’t once focused on where it was that he was headed. All he wanted was to escape the very presence, sight, and sound of Jung Daehyun.

 

      “Come on, don’t be like that. Where’s the ‘shut up Daehyun’ or ‘ you Daehyun.’ You’re not playing the game right.” Daehyun stated, causing Youngjae’s annoyance to deepen at the mention of their relationship being a game. If it was, it was officially the worst and most irritating game, ever.

 

      “You’re , you know that?” Youngjae snapped, turning a jagged corner as he barely noticed the sun setting in the distance. Daehyun’s lips opened to retort before closing abruptly. Youngjae continued. “And I’ll have you know, if you took your head out of your own , you’d see that people like me have no need for something as weak as friendship. My intellect surpasses-”

 

      “Shh.” Daehyun ordered, and Youngjae turned his head to glare at the other for interrupting.

 

      “Did you just shush-” Youngjae began, but found himself unable to continue as his lips were hushed by a rather forceful palm. The strength of an arm suddenly pulling him into a slightly taller body caused Youngjae’s eyes to widen.

 

      He found himself suddenly dragged behind a drug store building. He tried to retort a harsh curse, but the palm and rough arm were much stronger than he thought as Youngjae now had first hand knowledge that Daehyun’s resume wasn’t complete bull.

 

      “Shut up,” Daehyun suddenly whispered into his ear, causing an instinctual shiver to run down Youngjae’s spine. Youngjae ignored it and instantly glanced in the area that caught the other’s immediate attention. He began to grow worried, practically able to feel the eerie tension, illuminating from Daehyun’s every stiffened muscle.

 

      Four men in black suits were stationed across the street, just near the familiar entrance of Youngjae’s tutor’s house. One of the men slowly turned his back, the wind just barely revealing the hilt of a gun, underneath a jacket. The others were more or less blended into the crowd, and Youngjae was just barely able to make them out from the rest.

 

      “Quite popular.” Daehyun whispered, his voice suddenly deepened. “Bet those guys are paid too, huh, Jae?”

 

      Youngjae shook his hand off of him, finding it easier than he thought as Daehyun let him go in an instant, hands at his sides seconds later. “Don’t call me that.”

 

      “Nicknames make me feel closer to you,” Daehyun stated in a rather mocking tone.

 

      “They make me feel sick.” Youngjae retorted.

 

      “Better keep your voice down. Those men don’t look ready to teach you statistics.” Daehyun replied, causing Youngjae scowl.

 

      “I don’t see a tutor for statistics,” the word feel of Youngjae’s tongue like poison. “I am the tutor.”

 

      “People pay to see me.” He continued, causing Daehyun to cross his skinny arms over his chest.

 

      “Extra credit?”

 

      “ off.”

 

      “You don’t get paid a cent.”

 

      “ off.”

 

      “Better lower that voice, wouldn’t want to see such a waste of space become a dead waste of space.” Daehyun said. “Also, I don’t get a paycheck if you die.”

 

      They glared at each other. “I think I’ll take the men with the guns.” Youngjae stated, attempting to walk past Daehyun and head straight to the guarded building. An arm suddenly trapped his back against the wall, Daehyun’s face immediately nearing his own, causing his back to further mold into the wall in attempts to get away from the other.

 

      “As much as the thought of you being shot gives me the tingles,” Daehyun whispered against Youngjae’s scowling lips as the other once more let out an instinctual shiver. “I’d prefer that paycheck as compensation for the pain in my .”

 

      “That’s not my problem.”

 

      “You think those guys will only kill you. There are worse things than death.” Daehyun leaned closer, his lips brushing against Youngjae’s ear, causing the other’s body to stiffen. “Who knows, maybe they’ll give you a pain in your .”

 

      Youngjae shoved the other away, causing Daehyun to let out an amused laugh.

 

      “Just pick the lesser of the two evils, Jae-Jae.”

 

      “Call me that again and I’ll throw you in front of a train.” Youngjae suddenly let out a cold smile. “Dae-Dae.


Author's Note

Yo.

I am so tired.

10 a.m and still haven't slept. Listening to Frozen soundtrack as I look outside, wondering about what winter would look like if it actually snowed here. Also very bored.

Been watching reruns of KHR and giggling whenever Mukuro or Hibari show up onscreen. I need help.

An intervension.

Imma be reading hibarixtsuna fanfics for weeks. I can feel it.
So far this has been an uneventful summer thought. Partly because of procrastination, and partly cause I think I've slept through it all.

Going to Uni in a couple weeks. That's cool. I think I'd rather sleep past it all tho.

*yawns* jeezus.