1.

Things We Don't Understand

   

 

Even his parents had a hard time understanding his personality. When Xiumin was born, all the nurses and doctors fawned over him. His features came in one buy one, and they were sure he was unique. He didn't look like other children. He had hazel nut colored hair, which was wasn't common, especially when no one in the families carried the trait. His eyes were perfectly smooth, clear of folds, unlike the others. He grew up just as beautiful, but his actions were always strange. Xiumin didn't like childrens shows. He would rather watch the news with his father, or read. He read at a fifth grade level by second grade. He never really 'played' outside. If his parents were busy and wanted Xiumin to go outside and interact, he would simply go sit in their garden and lay in the grass for hours. His Mother once asked him why he didn't go play with other children or with his toys, he simply replied, "The world is way more interesting." 


    As he went into junior high school his teachers began to realise his intellegance and decided to place him a grade higher. Only then did they realise that he had surpassed even those standards. They asked his parents if they could send him to a different school, one more suited for his high intellegence, but they declined. They wanted Xiumin to have a normal life. Normal was what he needed, they didn't want to deprive him. So, he was kept a year above and continued on. 

    Xiumin had never been bullied before, so when word got out about him being special, he didnt really understand the things that started happening to him. He found his shoes in the fountain, near the enance of the school on the following Monday. He found his books in the toilet of the upstairs bathroom the next day. Each day of the week seemed to have something terrible planned for him. But Xiumin never told. He came up with simple excuses telling his parents why he needed new supplies and they never questioned him. It went on like this until he left middle school. He figured it would, but he would never have to see a lot of those kids again, because he was going to a highchool none of them could probably even get in to. 

    When the bullying continued, he was very confused. He hadn't done anything to them, and he was sure they hadn't known of his intellegnce. They hadn't had any tests yet, so no scores had been posted. He hadn't talked to anyone. So what was it? He really wanted to know. So why not ask? He was preparing to leave for school when he a hand was brought down harshly against the shoe locker next to him.

      "Oh, you are leaving early today? I was planning on putting trash in your locker before you left. Bummer." He turned to the boy who towered over his small figure.

    "Oh, I'm sorry. There's always tomorrow though right?" The bully stared at him, astonished, as he always did when Xiumin said something weird.

       "I actually had a question. Why do you hate me so much?" Xiumin watched as the bully and his friends keeled over laughing. Xiumin patiently waited, wondering if he had said something wrong. " You sure are different, Kim Minseok." Xiumin still waited for his answer, but instead got a kick to the stomach.

 

    When he came home, late and bloody, his parents were frantic. Xiumin looked as if he'd been torn to bits by dogs. He could barely stand in the door way and when his father ran to his side, he fell, limp, in his arms. After taking him to the emergency doctor, his parents finally started pieceing the signs together as they waited for the doctor to come out. His mother cried terribly, and his father did too when he found the death threat letters the boy had in his bag. They wept in each others arms for what seemed like an eternity, then, the doctor came out and said that all the boys wounds had been taken care of and that they could go sit with him. The couple sat on either side of their son holding his hands, whispering how sorry they were, how things were going to change.

 


      Xiumin was discharged and his parents made swift decisions. He didn't go back to that school. They decided it was best that he was homeschooled until they figured things out, of which he had no problems with. He didn't really need school anyway. It was pointless He could teach himself faster that they could try. He went a couple months like this, reading all he could, laying out in the yard, staring at the sky like he did when he was a child, until his father came home one day with news that they were moving to China. His father was an executive at the second largest company in Korea and they had just elected him CEO position of the China division. Xiumins mother was very happy of the news, being that she was originally from China. Xiumin could only hug his parents. They were surprised because of his sudden warmness, but laughed and hugged him the same. He was really happy that he would get to start over somewhere new. He really disliked that the people here hated him for no good reason here. He wondered why he hadn't hugged his parents more often. He decided he would after that day.

 

******
    Now, he sat in his huge new house, his things all unpacked and placed. He sprawled out on his huge comfy bed and smiled, something he wasn't accustomed to doing randomly. His parents came through the door way and smiled at the sight. There son actually seemed happy, and that's what they really longed for in the end. 


"Are you enjoying the new room , son?" Xiumin turned to look at his parents, taking in their presence. 


"It feels new here. I really , really like it." He sprawled across the california king he now aquired and laughed. "This bed is definitely a plus." 


    His father smiled, "Well, if you like that then I know something you are going to enjoy even more." A confused Xiumin was escorted, hands over his eyes, by his mother and father to an different part of the house. When he was told to drop his hands he gasped. "I thought you might like this." The view from the balcony was amazing.A huge garden lay in front of Xiumin now, filled with roses and daisys and tulips and all his other favorite flowers. He gave his mother a knowing look. She was a flourist and he was sure she was the reason all his favorites were before him. "I love it!" They hugged him from either side before eagerly guiding him towards the stairs where he ran down to start his adventure. He explored every nook, every secret of the maze, not careing if he ever found another exit. He reached the center of the puzzel garden to find a perfectly circular clearing He fell gracefully into the the perfectly tall grass and stared up at the sky, only flowers and clouds in his vision. He truly felt happy. He could feel all the worries from before drifting away, up into the clouds as he lay, thinking about nothing, for once.


    It didn't take long for Xiumin to get used to China. He wasn't great at Chinese but he knew enough. He would defintiely become better at it with time, as he always did with things he hadn't yet fully emersed himself in. It helped that his mothers family lived close by.They held a party at his house to host for all of the relatives. His parents were more than surprised when he openly conversated with his stranger-like relatives. They were all captivated by him. He had shown an outgoing side to himself that not his family nor had he ever seen. At the end of the party, the family hugged each realtive as they left and not one left without telling Xiumin and his parents how wonderful he was. "He is truly the angel he looks to be Mai." His grandmother told his mom. Xiumin didn't know what she meant, but his mother nodded in agreement.

    The two months they had spent here already were great. But, summer was ending and Xiumin realised he would have to go to school soon. His parents told him that it was okay if he wasn't ready.

" We understand that it's still troublesome dear. We are very okay with you continuing to learn from home." His mother had reassured, sitting across from him at the dinner table. He thought for a moment, trying to think about how he should word his coming sentence.


    "Mom, Dad.. I don't mind going back to school." They both looked at him worried, wondering if he'd really be okay. He just smiled, his new found hobby. "I'll be fine, really. But I do have one request."


"Of course anything!" He knew his parents would listen well at that, being that he never asked for anything, evne when he knew they'd give him the world if he asked for it.


    " I don't want to go to a private school." He fidgetted with his hands. "I know that I am smarter than most. But that doesn't make me want to be treated differently."

     "I just want to go to a regular school. One where I wear a uniform that's probably an ugly color beige and the classes are way too easy for me. I just want to act normal. I want living here to be different." His parents smiled at there wise son. They only ever wanted him to have a normal life and though they were going to be worried, because public school was very much less protected than private school, they agreed. The family spent the rest of dinner wondering what other color his future school would be trying to match with the ugly beige.

*****

    It turned out that Xiumin didn't have to wear an ugly beige outfit after all. 

His parents took him to get signed up for school and he explored it for a bit while they talked to the prniciple. The classrooms were pretty big, but plain. He enjoyed it very much. Unike his old school, the walls weren't white and suffocating, but warm colors that were inviting. The walls covered in the silly posters that teachers liked to hang about working there hardest and to "Keep hanging in there." He kept exploring and poked into a room he heard music escaping from. He didn't think any students were supposed to here on a Sunday so he was curious.

He wasn't planning on talking to whoever it was; However he found himself transfixed by the melody the pianist played. He hadn't realised he had started singing to the song he now recognised until the music stopped.

    He stood up to leave when he heard a voice speak thorugh the silence. 
"You have a beautiful voice stranger." Could he really be heard from behind the door? He whispered a "Sorry for disturbing~,"through the door and then quickly ran from the door before the pianist could catch his face.

*****

    Xiumin reached the office and tried to catch his breathe quickly as his parents exited the principals quarters. "Okay, well the next semester starts the following week, so he can start then." Mr. Choi shook hands with Mr.Kim and his wife, then turned and bowed to Xiumin. Xiumin returned the gesture and the family set out to go get his new uniforms. Surprising enough to the family, they weren't beige at all. They were black with blue accents. Xiumins parents laugh when he let out a sigh of relief at the sight of the stylish clothes. He tried on the outfit before bed, and practiced walking in it, feeling the anticipation of school weighing on him.

*****
    On the Sunday before school, Xiumin went shopping with his Mother for school supplies. He liked spending time with his Mother, even if it was just for things like this. They got everything that he needed and ended up spending the rest of the time picking out more flowers for them to add to the garden, before they were stopped by an older lady they had realised had been watching them for awhile now. 

    "Excuse me~" She looked really sweet and even though Xiumin was still a little skiddish he turned to the woman, his mother close to his side. 


    "I'm sorry, but son are you an Idol?" Xiumin blinked at the comment and couldn't help but be confused. His mother gently patted his back, stiffling a small laugh.

    "U-uh no ma'am."

    "Really? I could have sworn, you are so pretty dear." She said playfully slapping his arm. He laughed shyly and thanked her.

    "I actually would like to ask to borrow your beautiful face, if you wouldn't mind?" He was shocked, wondering what she had in mind. He turned to look at his mother who smiled gently and looked to the older woman.

    "What exactly did you have in mind?"

*****

An hour and a half later, Xiumin and his mother were in the grandmothers little beauty salon, styled and colored. 

    "I just new it! I new it would look beautiful on you!" Miss.Kim nodded, with a hand over , astonished. Xiumin stared, amazed at what he saw. 

    "Now, let me get a few pictures of you and you can be on your way. I really appreciate this! This color feels like it was made for you, so you are the perfect model!" She had him pose for some pictures and side shots and she praised him. Some of the shots were a bit embarrasing, but his mother's encouraging smiles made him not feel so nervous.

    "Ah, thank you both so much. Come back anytime. When the color starts to fade, come back and I'll fix it, or do another color if you like." Both parties said there thank you's and bowed. Xiumin asked his mother if the school would mind his new exotic hairstyle. 

    "Honey, the moment they see it on you, they might make everyone in the school manditoraly change there own hair." She laughed rubbing his back. He was really happy with it and he wondered how he could be deserving of all the praise that woman gave him. Everything he'd encountered since moving to China...He decided that they were just nicer here. He hoped this meant his school experience would be good too. He was over being worried about it, though. He was going to make the most of everything.

    The angel faced boy ran a hand through his light sakura colored hair and practiced in front of the mirror how he'd introduce himself tomorrow in class.

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What do you guys think of the first chapter? It's a bit short I suppose. But don't worry. Other chapter will be longer I have just been busy studying for exams so this was all I had time for to type from my notebooks and to beta.

I know not much seems to be happening yet, but I promise to improve. I haven't full decided the tense that I want the story to be in so it may be in and out at some parts. Thanks to those who read, and I even got an upvote holy crap thank you! 

<3333JonesyKyah