Camping (pt 1)

Hauntings

It was a beautiful, warm spring day. The sunlight streamed in as Heechul lay stretched on his couch, reading. Just as he was thinking this day couldn't get any better, his peace was interrupted by his  cell phone ringing.

"Yoboseyo," he answered cheerfully.

"Get moving, loser," the voice said. "We're waiting for you."

Heechul pulled the phone back to look at the ID. "Hyukkie? What the hell are you talking about?"

"We're going camping. Get packed."

Heechul looked out the window to see the usual suspects standing in front of a camper. "No way, man."

"Don't make me send Seunghyun up there," Eunhyuk threatened. "He won't let you pack, just walk around ."

"Yah!" Seunghyun shouted in the background.

"It's going to get cold at night, and I don't think Seunghyun's love will keep you warm, no matter what he says."

"I'm gonna kill you, you little-"

Eunhyuk shrieked, and the phone went dead.




There was a knock at the door. Heechul was relieved to see Donghae.

"It'll be okay," Donghae smiled. "We're not looking for anything. This is a legit camping trip. Seunghyun said he promised you a normal time the next time you hung out."

Heechul blushed. He and Donghae went into his bedroom to pack.

"It's just for the weekend," Donghae continued. "I don't even think the guys want to do anything other than sit around stuffing their faces. They all feel bad about last time, Seunghyun especially. I do think there's something there, hyung."

Heechul just rolled his eyes and hefted his bag.




"Heechul!" Seungri called. "How's my favorite fan?"

"Since when am I your favorite?"

"Since now."

"Don't you guys ever work?" Heechul grumbled.

"Nope," Jiyong answered. "We just sit around plotting ways to make you suffer."

Heechul stuck his tongue out.

"All aboard!" Seungri shouted. "I'm driving."

"Like hell you are," Youngbae snatched the keys and plopped in the driver's seat. "Let's go!"


 

"Did you hijack your tour bus?" Heechul asked, looking around him in awe.

"Our tour bus is much nicer," Jiyong said.

Seunghyun walked out from what looked like a small room. "Eunhyuk is in time out," he smiled.

Heechul raised an eyebrow.

"Right," Seunghyun said. "That's the bedroom. Daesung and Youngbae will be sleeping there. The door next to it is the bathroom. No shower, but the campsite we're going to has a lodge with showers. The loft above us sleeps four, and these two tables I'm standing between fold out to sleep two. The fridge, freezer, and pantry are fully stocked, and we have couple of coolers."

Heechul looked impressed. "You guys take camping seriously."

"There are also board games and two decks of cards."

Suddenly the bedroom door flew open and Eunhyuk barrelled out. "I'm free!" he bellowed. "Chulie!"

Heechul caught him with an oomf. Eunhuk stuck his tongue out at Seunghyun.




A few hours later, they pulled into a campsite. After checking in and getting their lot number, they pulled in and piled out. They all stood quietly, breathing in the fresh air and enjoying the fading sunlight.

"This was a great idea, hyung," Seungri said softly to Seunghyun.

Heechul turned and smiled at Seunghyun.

"Thanks, maknae," Seunghyun replied, smiling at Heechul.


They spent the rest of the evening eating, drinking, and goofing off. They played cards and told stories and laughed until their sides hurt. Seunghyun didn't sit next to Heechul- those spots being occupied by Donghae, Eunhyuk, and Seungri- but he kept his eye on him. Several times Heechul caught Seunghyun's eye, and each time Heechul blushed.


Youngbae and Daseung went to bed first, followed by Donghae and Eunhyuk, who clambered up into the loft. Seunghyun, Heechul, Jiyong, and Seungri played poker for the two remaining loft spots.

"That's a winner," Jiyong said. "Night, losers."

Seungri revealed his cards. "Sorry guys. Enjoy the tables."

Heechul blushed bright red.

"It won't be that bad," Seunghyun tugged him into the camper.


Sleep came easily for Heechul. Seunghyun was curled up beside him; everyone had already dropped off; and they left a couple of windows cracked to let in fresh air. Seunghyun held him tightly, his nose buried in Heechu's hair. Heechul had no idea what time it was when he woke up, or what woke him up, exactly. He lifted his head and smiled up at the full moon in the cloudy sky. He felt a brief moment of panic when he heard a growl outside the window, but he told himself someone's dog got loose and was probably chasing some small animal.


His alarm increased, however, when he rolled over onto his back and saw a pair of glowing red eyes staring at him from the opposite window. Heechul sat up slowly, trying not to disturb Seunghyun. The eyes vanished. Heechul slowly crawled to the window and peered out. Everything was calm and quiet. He moved back to the window above his pillow and peeked out. He thought he saw something between the trees, but he couldn't be sure. A low growl sounded from below the window.

"Heechul?"

Heechul looked down to see Seunghyun propped on his elbow.

"Everything okay?"

Heechul let out a shaky sigh and sat back. "Probably my imagination," he said softly. "We all know what happens when I'm with you guys."
Seunghyun smiled and Heechul's heart flip-flopped. Seunghyun reached behind Heechul's neck, and pulled him down for a kiss. Heechul's stomach quivered and he sighed contentedly. Seunghyun's tongue ran over his lips, seeking access. Heechul granted it, the kiss deepening. Another growl, louder this time, interrupted them. Seunghyun pulled back and sat up.

"What is that?" he whispered.

"A dog," Heechul said. "It has to be."

Seunghyun peeked out the window. "There's nothing there."

A growl came from the other side of the camper.


"Do you guys hear that?" Donghae peered down at them sleepily.

Seunghyun nodded. "We just can't see anything."

"It's a dog," Heechul insisted. "Someone's dog got loose and it's chasing something."

"It's fast, whatever it is."

They were startled by a sudden banging from the back of the camper, followed by a yell from the bedroom.

Youngbae stormed out. "What the ?" he hissed.

Seunghyun shushed him. Before Youngbae could reply, another banging came from the front of the camper. Youngbae strode forward and opened the curtains. Nothing was there except for a large crack in the windshield. A pounding on the roof got everyone's attention. The other four woke up and soon everyone was standing in the small area between the bedroom and Heechul and Seunghyun's bed.

"What is that?" Jiyong asked.

Heechul reached back and found Seunghyun's hand, and gripped it tightly. Seunghyun moved closer to Heechul, pulling him flush against his chest.


There were a few more knocks, but whatever was out there couldn't be seen by the time someone made it to a window.

"I'm going out," Youngbae announced.

"I'll go with you," Seunghyun replied.

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" Heechul asked.

"It's fine," Seunghyun squeezed Heechul's hand. "It'll be fine."

Youngbae opened the door and he and Seunghyun stepped out. Heechul, Donghae, Eunhyuk, Jiyong, Daesung, and Seungri all crowded around the door.

Youngbae and Seunghyun walked in opposite directions around the camper.

"You guys see anything?" Daesung whispered. The others shook their heads.


Youngbae and Seunghyun soon reappeared. They shook their heads and shrugged. Heechul moved down to the bottom step, the others moving cautiously behind him.

Seunghyun smiled. "See? It's fine."

Heechul smiled back, but something over Seunghyun's shoulder caught his eye. "What's that? Between the two trees?"

"A shadow?"

"A shadow that stood up."

Youngbae picked up some small rocks and threw them.

Silence.

Then, some small rocks were thrown back.

"Wait," Heechul stopped Youngbae from throwing more rocks. He ran into the camper, and found a marker. He returned and picked up a somewhat smooth rock, marking a dark X in the center. He passed it to Youngbae, who raised his eyebrows, shrugged, and threw it.


The same rock came back moments later.

"It's playing," Heechul said softly.

"What is?" Seunghyun asked.

Heechul could only shrug.

"So... it woke us up to play with us?" Donghae asked.

"We are the only ones here," Seungri replied. "Maybe it's lonely?"

Heechul smiled, and clutched the marked rock tightly.

"Bedtime!" Youngbae declared loudly, ushering everyone inside.

No more noises could be heard that night.




The next morning, they were amazed to discover massive footprints around the camper, and the logs in the fire pit were arranged in neat rows.