Some days felt better

Smile and Tears

Author's note: the italic sentence (later) are actuallly words that Taeyeon said a few years later, when she was remembering how her life used to be. It has a connection on how the story ends


As the sun rose up early morning, Taeyeon got ready for her first day in her new school. She tied her hair neatly while looking at the mirror. She smiled, seeing that everything were perfect. She picked up her bag and went to the living room.

“Mom, dad, I’m going.” She said happily. Her mother nodded, yet she didn’t reply. She seemed busy preparing many things. Taeyeon could understand the way her mother reacted.

But when Taeyeon looked around finding his father, she realized he wasn’t there.

“Mom, where’s dad?”

Listening to what she said, her mother finally stopped what she was doing and looked at Taeyeon.

“He’s busy in his room. Don’t bother him. I’ll tell him that you’re going to school, so you can just go or else you’ll be late for your first day in school.”

Her mother was indeed cold. Taeyeon comprehended that every time. Taeyeon could only nod, trying to keep her smile wide and walked out.

Taeyeon closed the door and went down from her apartment floor. Arriving at the front lobby, she greeted some peoples and elderlies before finally going out.

On her way to school, she couldn’t stop looking left and right, looking at the beautiful city she’s in. Some places might not be that familiar for her, since it’s her first time living there. She even got lost while finding the train station. Good thing she arrived at school right on time.

Her school building was big, since it was a private middle school. The school was pretty famous and prestigious. Not everyone can get in that school. That’s why Taeyeon felt lucky that a Jeonju girl like her could get to a school like this. She wanted to jump happily but then she controlled her desire. She walked towards the school gates with head held high and she forced not to smile, thinking that it would make people think she’s cool.

When she got inside the school, she quickly her bag, searching for her entrance letter. She opened her pencil case, her files, her books, and even her wallet, but the entrance letter wasn’t there. Taeyeon panicked immediately.

“All of the details of my entrance are in that letter! I don’t even know what class I’m in…… What should I do??” She murmured to herself. After looking again and again, she gave up and wore back the bag.

She stood hopelessly in the middle of the hallway. She could see everyone was looking at her, wondering what she was doing there. She felt like running back home, or maybe teleporting to make things quick, but she just can’t.

That’s when suddenly someone patted her shoulders.

“Can I help you?” Said a girl with a short black hair. Taeyeon could see her wide brown eyes, a beautiful face with a smile on it. The girl seems kind, she tought.

“I’m a new student here. But I lost my entrance letter so I don’t really know what should I do now… Can you tell me what should I do?”

Instead of answering instantly, that girl laughed first. Then she replied Taeyeon while rubbing her eyes.

“Well that’s funny. It’s my first time meeting someone who would forget her entrance letter! And you even asked me what should you do! Hahaha! I thought you were going to ask where is the administration office or maybe the teacher’s room.”

Taeyeon felt ashamed, she smiled while bowing down her head.

“I don’t really know how things go in this school. I’m actually from Jeonju…, so…” Before Taeyeon finished her sentence, the girl cut off.

“It’s alright! Come one, I’ll show you the administration office so you can check your data and class.”

Taeyeon was surprised seeing that girl helping her. Not only she told her what to do, she even pulled her hand and took her to the administration office.

In the administration office, the girl greeted some teachers and said a few things regarding Taeyeon. The teachers nodded and smiled, seemingly the girl was pretty known by the teachers. Taeyeon felt blessed when the teacher understood her situation and told her which class she’s in. But she felt more blessed knowing someone who would have the initiative to help her.

Going out of the administration office, the short hair girl suddenly lend out her hand, asking for a ‘hand-shake’.

“Kim Taeyeon, hi! My name is Lee EunRa! Nice meeting you!” She said cheerfully. Taeyeon smiled back and took out her hands. After shaking hands for a while, Taeyeon replied her.

“Nice to meet you too, EunRa-ah! You can just call me Taeyeon.”

EunRa giggled and put her arm around Taeyeon’s shoulders. Then she walked together to Taeyeon’s class.

But in the middle of the way, Taeyeon stopped and realized something.

“EunRa-ah, if you’re taking me to my class, then how about you? Won’t you be late, especially if your class is on the opposite way with mine?”

EunRa stopped too and stared at Taeyeon. EunRa gave an empty gaze, which confused Taeyeon. Then suddenly EunRa softly tapped Taeyeon’s back and smiled.

“Hey, guess what?” She said. “We’re on the same class!”

Taeyeon was really surprised of course, but she was really happy too. Taeyeon immediately pulled out EunRa’s hands and shook it happily.

“Really?? Waaa! I’m so happy!” EunRa laughed too, showing her eye smile.

Then they started to chat along the way. Both of them seems to fit each other. No one seemed bored with the conversation. Even until they arrive on the class.

The class was already full, since they’re close to late. When EunRa came in with Taeyeon, many students immediately turned towards EunRa, and the new girl next to her. Everyone seemed excited.

“EunRa-ah! Why are you so late?”

“I thought you were sick!”

“I was worried you know!”

Everyone was flattering EunRa, as if she’s a really important someone. Then suddenly someone realized Taeyeon’s presence and started asking each other.

“Hey, who’s that?”

“I think it’s the new transfer student.”

“Why is she in our class?”

Taeyeon got nervous when everybody looked at her. But then she still placed a smile and bowed formally.

“Annyeonghaseyo! My name is Kim Taeyeon, I’m a new student here. I’m from Jeonju!” She was still bowing, but she could feel a cold air surrounding her. She could clearly hear whispers coming everywhere. She could see the cold eyes staring at her.

“Oh no… What did I do wrong?” she thought.

Noticing that, EunRa immediately made the move.

“Hey! What are you guys doing? Come on! Let’s welcome her to this class! Take out the confetti, blow the trumpets, ‘cause now there’s a new member of our family!”

Everybody was shocked and panicked. Some tried to smile and clapped their hands, welcoming Taeyeon. Some even sang. Of course it made Taeyeon feel better. And again, it’s all thanks to EunRa.

When EunRa took Taeyeon to an empty seat, Taeyeon whispered EunRa.

“Thank you, EunRa-ah. I promise I’ll do things better next time… I know I at introductions…”

EunRa shook her head and gave Taeyeon a warm welcoming smile.

“No, it’s alright. It’s my job to make sure everything goes well on everyone.”

After saying so, EunRa let Taeyeon sit first then she went back to her sit, which was on the front rows. Taeyeon was sitting rather at the back, so she was distant from EunRa. That made Taeyeon rather down-hearted. But then suddenly the students sitting around her started to greet her.

“Hi there! Tae…, Taeyeon? Am I right?” Said a ponytailed girl in front Taeyeon.

“Yes, nice to meet you..,”

“Seonja. My name is Park Seonja.”

“Ah, nice to meet you, Seonja-ah!” Taeyeon said, trying to boost up the mood.

“Yes, yes… You’re really lucky to come with EunRa. She’s nice to strangers.”

“Yeah! She is! I feel blessed meeting her on my way.”

“It’s good then. You should really be her friend. There’s a lot of advantage to that.”

Taeyeon was rather shocked hearing the word ‘advantage’. But she still tried to see in a positive way.

“Mm, yeah! I guess so? She seems popular and nice…”

“Not only that! She’s really smart. She’s our class president.”

“Really?? Wow. And she’s pretty too!”

Seonja stopped suddenly when Taeyeon said ‘pretty’. But then back to the pace.

“Yeah. Maybe.”

Taeyeon wasn’t expecting that cold tone. She was about to talk back, but suddenly another girl sitting near greeted her. And so they talked, similar topic like hers and Seonja’s talk before. Taeyeon felt welcomed and she was happy. She immediately forgot about Seonja.

But then the bell rang and the teacher came in. After giving some greetings to the teacher led by EunRa, everyone silenced immediately. Then the teacher asked Taeyeon for another greeting, and she did so.

Lessons started and ended well. Taeyeon had difficulties following the lessons but at least she enjoyed it.

When it was time to go home, EunRa approached Taeyeon.

“Taeyeon-ah, where do you live?”

“Mm, I live near Seodaemun.”

“Really? Then do you want to go home together? I stop a station after Seodaemun!”

Taeyeon was jumped out her seat happily.

“Yes! Yes yes yes! I’m so happy!”

And so they went out the class together. EunRa asked how Taeyeon felt about that day. Taeyeon told her everything, about how hard the lessons were. EunRa laughed looking at Taeyeon’s expressions. They looked like they were having fun.

Then Taeyeon remembered her conversations with Seonja. She was curious about some things, so she asked EunRa.

“EunRa-ah. Are you.., really friends with Seonja?”

“Seonja? Yeah, I guess so~ Is there any problems?”

“No, it’s just that…”

“I know, Seonja talked about me, right?”

Taeyeon freezed immediately.

“It’s not like what you think, EunRa-ah….”

“Yeah, well maybe. She was my friend in the first year but then she stopped talking to me. You know what happens next. When they stop talking to you, they start talking about you.”

“But…, maybe not? Maybe she’s not talking about you? It might just be some voices around you that doesn’t really exist.”

EunRa stared at Taeyeon, the girl seemed innocent but now she looked wise. After that, EunRa smiled back at her.

“Yeah, maybe. But still, I don’t think her as my friend. Because…, friends are there for each other, right?”

Taeyeon nodded happily, following with EunRa’s words. Taeyeon continued talking about many things. EunRa too. She was interested in how things work in Taeyeon’s old school, and so Taeyeon explained it.

But it was cut off.

Some students from the class called EunRa, right before they went out the front door. EunRa responded immediately and told Taeyeon to wait for a second.

EunRa approached those students, group of three, who seemed rather cold. She was still smiling when she arrived.

“EunRa. Why are you with that Jeonju girl?” Said a girl who had a lot of accessories on her hands and light make-up on her face.

“She looks like a country bumpkin.” Said another one, who braided her hair beautifully (it looked like a lot of effort was done)

Then the last one bravely confronted EunRa.

“Hey you’re not really going along well with that girl, right?”

They were all waiting for EunRa’s words. Yeah from afar, the four of them (including EunRa) seemed like a group of beauties. Beauties with sickening hearts.

After few seconds of silence, EunRa finally replied back.

“Yeah, of course not…,”

 

 

“…and you thought I was going to say that?”

They were shocked. EunRa declined their ‘offer’. The one who confronted EunRa backed off immediately. But the braided one didn’t.

“Ya! Lee EunRa! Open your eyes! What do you hope from that kind of girl!”

“Shut up, okay?! I don’t want the same thing to happen again! You know that ‘country bumpkin’ you bullied last time? I heard she even went to a rehabilitation centre because she committed self-harm!” EunRa was serious. Her usual smiling face disappeared. But there were a depressed feeling inside her as well. Unlike those three who seemed to not care.

“Yeah, so what? It’s her fault anyways. Self-harm was her decision, and it’s not because of us!” Said one of them, the full-of-make-up-and-accessories one.

“Ya! Han SoRa! What do you mean by that! It’s clear that she did that because of you guys! She decided to cut because of those words you spread! I’m not going to stay quiet anymore! I’m not afraid of you guys!” EunRa replied, full of anger.

The three of them was shut completely. ‘Han SoRa’ poked the others’ hands, whispering to leave. And so they left EunRa alone.

EunRa calmed her temper first before meeting back with Taeyeon. Taeyeon was not aware of what they were talking but she knew it wasn’t something good.

“EunRa-ah, is there something wrong?” EunRa tried to avoid when Taeyeon asked that.

“No. Nothing’s wrong. Just some unfinished assignments and other stuffs. Yeah you know those kind of girls who never does that the teacher tells them to do.”

Taeyeon didn’t expect that cold answer EunRa just gave but she taught it was reasonable since EunRa was the class president.

They continued their chit-chat until the train is nearing Seodaemun Station. Taeyeon was getting ready to say goodbye.

“It’s almost there…”

“Yeah, I know. You’re getting off now, right?”

“Yeah… By the way, thank you for today, EunRa-ah! It was fun! And actually you don’t have to accompany me home…,”

EunRa shook her head.

“It’s no big deal. You’re new in the school so I have to take care of you well. And about me accompanying you home…, well you’re one of my friend so it’s normal for me to do that!” Taeyeon was really happy when she heard the word ‘friend’. Taeyeon’s experience in her old school wasn’t that good. Now, she felt that everything will change. She was really…, satisfied.

 

Exactly one minute later, the train stopped and the doors opened. Taeyeon walked out, then waved goodbye to EunRa.

“Goodbye, EunRa! See you again tomorrow!”

“Yeah! Bye, Taeyeon! See you tomorrow too.” EunRa said with her delicate eye smile. Her right hand waved back at Taeyeon.

Receiving her reply, Taeyeon then walked away as the doors closed. Taeyeon was happy to not know anything.

 

She reminisced her past school which was not that good. She didn’t have friends. The teachers was like ‘demons’. She felt like everyone didn’t want to notice her. She was to afraid to tell her parents. She was afraid that her parents would think that she was the one causing troubles. She was afraid that her parents would judge her.

After covering her fear, now she finally managed to found a ‘friend’. Some days like this felt better, unlike the past.

 

“…and the future”

---

After only a few blocks Taeyeon arrived at her apartment. She went up and got inside her house. She opened the door, but realized that it was locked.

“Maybe…, mom’s not home.” She said to herself. She was a bit sad but it wasn’t something new. It happened a few times before, even when she was still living in Jeonju.

Taeyeon couldn’t do anything since she also forgot to bring the keys. So she waited in front of her house. She sat on the terrace, her legs folded under her thighs. She took out a book and her pencil case. She took out a pen and started doing the questions that’s on that book. After she finished a book (or rather a homework), she opened another one.

That repeated several times until the sky gets dark. Her mother finally got back with a lot of groceries on her hand. Taeyeon stood up immediately and left the books to help her.

“Mom, where were you? I waited for a long time…” Her mother gave some of the heavy bags to Taeyeon and took out the key.

“Yeah, yeah. I went to buy some things since the fridge is empty.”

Taeyeon nodded understanding her reason, and then followed her inside the house. After putting the groceries on the table, she left to take her bags and books outside.

She tidied things, putting it back to the bag, then stood up to get back inside. But when she turned around, the door was closed back! And she has to have the keys if she want to open it back.

Taeyeon immediately panicked and banged the door as she called her mom.

“Mom! Mom! Open the door!” She banged again and again, but there were no signs that her mother panicking, or maybe just walking to get the keys. Taeyeon tried to open the door again and again but it was useless. She could only bang and bang.

Until her mother opened the door, looking at Taeyeon with an angry face.

“Can’t you be patient? I have to tidy things up first! And you know there’s a passcode lock on the door, you can just enter the code and come in! You don’t need the keys!”

Taeyeon stared at her mother. Her bags fell on the ground when she banged the door. Her hair was messy too. And she seemed out of breath. But opened as her emotions piled up.

“You didn’t even tell me the codes! Now you’re blaming me! Why?!” Taeyeon shouted.

She took the bags and walked pass her mom. She directly went inside her room, slammed the door loud enough for her mom to hear it. She threw her bag and laid on the bed, face down.

She didn’t want to cry. There were no reason to cry. She knew it wasn’t right for her to shout at her mom. But she just couldn’t hold it any longer.

Meanwhile, her mom was still standing by the door, shocked by what she just heard. Finally getting her senses, she closed the door and went to Taeyeon’s room.

She knocked carefully, but no one answered. And so she decided to just say it, since no mouth doesn’t mean no ears.

“Taeyeon-ah… I’m sorry about that… You know I’ve been busy these days and I just can’t handle the pressure. I’m really sorry.” She said carefully. “But you know, even if you’re a second year student in Middle School, you shouldn’t shout to your mom…. You know that, right?

Then her mother left silently. Leaving Taeyeon in her room alone.

Taeyeon just wanted to disappear from her parents. She wanted to leave. Maybe to EunRa, or maybe someone else. She felt disappointed for what her mother did.

But everything has passed. Her disappointment subsided after resting for a while.

She met up with her parents again, acted the same, and then it’s time to end the day.

 

 

“I thought that day actually seemed fine. Yet it was actually the calm before the storm.”


There's not much conflicts in this chapter, since this is just one part of a very long story. I hope you can keep supporting this story!

Thanks for reading!