The bet

Let's Make a Bet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chanyeol and Jongin are known for their childish antics within the EXO dorm. They normally are seen playing the newest video games while hogging the couch and causing a ruckus when the others just want to sleep. They tease each other, straight up wrestling matches and everything. Of everything they do and get away with, they love to make bets the most. They aren't gamblers on the street though. No, they love to bet on trivial things. Jongin bets he can put dishes away faster than Chanyeol and loses $10 when Chanyeol actually beats him. Chanyeol bets he can get dressed faster and loses $3 because that's all he had at the time. One or the other bets on what Kyungsoo will throw together for dinner. The biggest bet they'd ever made though, just might have changed everything in the dorms.

"Hey Yeol hyung!" Jongin hollers from the couch. He's watching old reruns of Pororo while Chanyeol was browsing the internet in his room.

"Mmm," was the only response he got in return.

"Wanna make a bet?”

Chanyeol stuck his head out of the door way with a rather large grin on his face.

“What kind of bet Jongin?” he asked, voice lined with amusement.

Jongin was playing with the TV remote, smirk playing across his face.

“I bet you Baekhyun hyung has a crush on someone.”

Chanyeol’s face dropped.

“What? Baek doesn’t like anyone. I’m his best friend. He’d tell me.” Chanyeol straightened and walked out to the living room.

“I’m telling you. Baekhyun hyung has a crush on someone and I bet you $20 it’s true. How about that?” the younger smirked.

“Jongin, I’m telling you. Baek would tell me if he liked someone.” Chanyeol furrowed his eyebrows.

“Hyung. Come on,” Jongin dropped the remote and looked up. “You never back down and this is a serious bet.”

“Yeah, it’s seriously ridiculous.” Chanyeol went back into his room, not before Jongin called him a chicken.

Chanyeol pinched the bridge of his nose and went out to the living room.

“What makes you so certain he has a crush on someone?”

“Oh nothing in particular. I just heard him talking to Kyungsoo about someone and he seemed rather happy about this person. I think he might even be in love.” Jongin was messing with him of course but Chanyeol didn’t catch the mirth in the younger’s voice. He was only concerned as to why his best friend wouldn’t tell him if he was in love.

Just as Chanyeol was about to turn and head back towards his room again, the front door swung open and in came the remaining members. Baekhyun was the first through the door and as soon as he saw Chanyeol, he dropped his bags and ran to the taller male. He leapt into Chanyeol’s arms and the taller caught him with a small laugh.

“Did you miss me Channie?” Baekhyun asked rather cutely.

“Of course I missed you! I almost cut off my right arm I was so lost without you.” Chanyeol then signed and nuzzled into Baekhyun’s neck causing the smaller to laugh and hit him playfully.

“That’s all well and good but could you like, I don’t know, move your bags? The rest of us can’t get in and I’m sick of your love fest.” Jongdae spoke from the doorway. He seemed annoyed but it didn't seem like it was aimed at the two before him. Probably something at practice caused his mood.

Baekhyun strode over and collected his things taking the bags to the kitchen and placing them on the table. He left everything there for the other’s to put away and went straight back to Chanyeol who was now whispering frantically with Jongin on the couch.

“What are you guys talking about” Baekhyun smiled, amused.

“Nothing!” “You.” Chanyeol and Jongin spoke at the same time.

Baekhyun’s eyebrow quirked.

“Oh? What about me?” He crossed his arms.

“It’s nothing! Honestly.”Chanyeol spoke before Jongin, standing to make his way back to his room. Not before Baekhyun grabbed his wrist to stop him from leaving.

His hand was warm and soft against Chanyeol’s wrist. It caused the taller to shudder, though he wasn’t for certain why. Jongin chose that moment to speak up.

“Baek hyung, do you like anyone?” He cocked his head to the side. He could see Chanyeol seething in his peripheral.

“Haha. What do you mean? I like everyone.” Baekhyun laughed a little awkwardly.

“No hyung. Like, like. Are you in love with someone?”

Baekhyun stood there frozen for a moment, hand still around Chanyeol’s wrist. His cheeks were starting to dust with a light rose color and he dropped his hand from Chanyeol’s. He turned and this time, he was the one to go hide in his room.

“I bet Yeolie hyung here that you did!” He called after the older.

“Way to go, idiot!” Chanyeol barked as he turned to follow Baekhyun. Just then, Kyungsoo came up and smacked Jongin upside the head.

“OW! Hyung! What the hell was that for?” He asked rubbing the throbbing spot on his head.

“I can tell you did something and you needed to be punished.” Kyungsoo sat on the couch and started the episode of Pororo over from the beginning, leaving Jongin groaning at his oncoming headache.

--

“Baekhyun. What’s wrong?” Chanyeol asked once they were alone in their shared bedroom.

“It’s nothing Channie. I’m just not feeling too well all of a sudden. Don’t worry about me.” He smiled faintly at the taller whose figure was lined with worry.

“Baek,” Chanyeol started after a moment.

“Hmm?” Baekhyun responded, staring at the floor.

“Do-do you like anyone?” Chanyeol’s heart sped up. Baekhyun couldn’t like anyone. He would have, should have told him if he did.

“Chanyeol,” Baekhyun’s voice was as cold as ice.

“I don’t want to discuss this okay? I don’t know where Jongin was going with this topic but I don’t feel good and I don’t want to talk about it. Alright?” He looked up then. Chanyeol was taken aback. Baekhyun hadn’t used that tone on him since he accidently got one of Baekhyun’s favorite snapbacks dirty. He’d borrowed it to go and play basketball with Kris only to fall over his own two feet and go down face first into a mud puddle from the spring showers earlier the day.

“Baek, I’-“

“No. Please. Just…just leave or go back to whatever it is you were doing before we got home.”

“Okay.” Chanyeol reasoned, albeit reluctantly because Baekhyun seemed distressed.

--

Later that night when everyone was going to bed, Joonmyun called out to Chanyeol and Baekhyun to stay and talk to him. As the others filed into their appropriate rooms, the two sat awkwardly on the couch.

“I don’t know what happened between you two but can you cut it out?” He started. “Everyone in the dorm is down because you two seem you have a dark cloud hanging over you.” He frowned and crossed his arms.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about hyung.” Baekhyun stated rather harshly.

Chanyeol just sat there quietly staring at the ground. That had been a big part to why Joonmyun had them stay. Normally, Chanyeol would be bouncing off the walls and yelling so loud the neighbors upstairs would complain. Baekhyun would have been right there along with him on any normal night but tonight didn’t seem like it would be normal.

“Okay, look. Like I said, I don’t know what happened between you two, but you’re going to be on Sukira tomorrow and I don’t want the two of you to act like this on radio. Okay? So get it together.” Joonmyun let ‘Suho’ come out to make sure his point was heard and didn’t fall to deaf ears. Chanyeol and Baekhyun both nodded, neither of them looking at their leader. Joonmyun sighed and bid them both goodnight. The two sat there for another few minutes before Baekhyun got up and went to their shared room.

By the time Chanyeol had decided to get off the couch and head to bed, Baekhyun was already laying down facing the wall instead of towards Chanyeol like he always did. They would lay there and talk about their day and any silly things that came to mind. The only times they didn’t do that was when one was either angry or sick and on those nights, the other would lay in bed with the downed member to help them feel better. Tonight though, that wouldn’t happen. Chanyeol was thoroughly confused as to why the older would be treating him this way. “I bet Jongin did it. He set me up for something and got Baek in on it.” He thought to himself.

Chanyeol decided he would try to talk to Baekhyun again in the morning before they headed out for the radio station. They’d need to get it figured out before they went on air.

--

When Chanyeol woke up the next morning, it wasn’t to the normally hyper Baekhyun. As a matter of fact, Baekhyun wasn’t even in the room let alone there to wake him up. Just as Chanyeol was getting ready to toss off the blankets to get dressed, the door opened and in stepped Baekhyun. He’d just gotten out of the shower. His hair was wet and falling into his eyes. He didn’t have a shirt on and for some reason that bothered Chanyeol. They’d seen each other countless times with no shirt on but here he was, getting ansty.

Baekhyun didn’t notice he was being watched by the younger. He walked to the closet and grabbed a hoodie, “my hoodie”, Chanyeol thought, and a pair of jeans. Just as he turned around, he noticed Chanyeol staring at him and jumped slightly.

“Jesus Yeol! Don’t do that!” He rasped, grabbing his chest as his heart felt like it would explode.

“I wasn’t doing a thing. I just woke up. No thanks to you.” He stuck his tongue out thinking maybe things were back to normal today. Oh no. No. Boy was he wrong.

“Well don’t freaking watch me while I change.” Chanyeol was taken aback by the harsh tone the older was using. “And all I did was open my eyes.” He thought.

“Sorry Baek,” was all he said as he turned over in bed facing the wall. The next thing he heard was the faint sound of fabric rustling and then the door slamming shut.

He sighed again as he made a second attempt at getting up that morning. This time there was no Baekhyun to tell him things not to do, so he rose and walked to the closet to get his own set of clothes for the day and headed off to the shower.

--

Before the two headed off to the radio station, Joonmyun had sat them down and talked to them again about their attitude towards each other. Chanyeol didn’t really have anything to say as he was just as confused about it all as Joonmyun. Baekhyun, however, acted as though nothing was wrong and he hadn’t been giving Chanyeol the cold shoulder. The thing is though, Joonmyun didn’t notice the fakeness of Baekhyun’s smile. Chanyeol did. Oh man did Chanyeol notice. It was almost painful to see.

Baekhyun and Chanyeol had been best friends for going on four years. They clicked the moment they said their first hellos to one another. There was no Baek if there was no Yeol and vice versa.

As the two headed down to greet their manager at the van, Chanyeol took that small window of opportunity to try a conversation.

“Baek?” he started.

“…” no response.

“Baek please talk to me. I don’t know what I did. I didn’t mean to offend you if I said something. You know I love you.” He pleaded. He stopped as Baekhyun paused, almost causing the two to collide as he spun on his heel.

“What did you just say?” Baekhyun’s voice caught at the last syllable.

“I asked you to talk to me.” Chanyeol held his breath.

“No, after that.” Baekhyun was looking him straight in the eye. Chanyeol could see some type of emotion in his eyes but he couldn’t read it. Which was very odd for Chanyeol to no be able to read Baekhyun.

“Uhm, I…don’t…really…remember?” Chanyeol rubbed the back of his neck. He honestly didn’t remember what he said. Yeah he’d just said it but when Baekhyun turned around, his mind when blank. He had that kind of effect on him. Besides, Chanyeol usually had the attention span of a goldfish, even with his own thoughts.

Baekhyun shook his head and turned back around, starting towards the elevators once more. Chanyeol stood there for a moment trying to process what was going on. The ding of the elevator was what brought him out of his reverie. He ran up right as the doors were about to close and jumped through, only, he collided with Baekhyun for sure this time.

Chanyeol went smashing into Baekhyun and both fell backwards only to be caught by the wall. Chanyeol accidently had Baekhyun pinned against the wall, hands on either side of Baekhyun’s head. Their faces were only centimeters apart and both held their breath. They stood frozen on the spot for what Chanyeol thought was a life time but really it was only the ride from their floor down to the parking garage their building sat over. Again, the ding of the elevator was what brought them back to reality. Chanyeol jumped and Baekhyun ran out of the elevator as fast as he could.

The van ride after that could only be described as tense. Baekhyun seemed to be seething in the front passenger seat while Chanyeol looked, quite literally, like a kicked puppy. Their manager then began on a similar speech to that of Joonmyun’s. He told them that they needed to fix their attitudes before they walked in there and had to go on air. Baekhyun huffed as he got out of the van, not waiting for Chanyeol like he normally did. Chanyeol felt a pang in his chest. It felt like he needed to scream. This was the worst Baekhyun had ever treated him and he didn’t even know what he did to deserve it. Sure, he might be overreacting a bit but really, there was no Yeol without the Baek counterpart.

Once inside the studio, they both put on their best stage smiles and greeted the DJ and producers best they could. They started the show out perfectly fine. A person that wasn’t Baekhyun or Chanyeol would have never have known there was any sort of tension between them. It was eating Chanyeol alive. He could feel the waves of it just rolling off of Baekhyun as he laughed at a stupid joke the DJ told. He side glanced at Baekhyun only to notice that the smaller male was looking at him. When Chanyeol went to turn his head towards him, Baekhyun turned back towards the DJ. Chanyeol just sighed and looked down at his script.

--

The show was back from a commercial break and it was now going into the second half hour of the show which meant the DJ would be asking the two of them questions. This was a normal thing and they’d both gone through it countless times since debut.

“Chanyeol, what is your ideal type?” This was an easy question. He’d been asked this in just about every interview they’d been involved in.

“I like a person who likes to smile and laugh a lot.” The DJ smiled suggestively towards him and said some comment that he didn’t really pay attention to. He just laughed anyway.

Then it was Baekhyun’s turn to answer a question.

“Baekhyun, do you like anyone right now?” Chanyeol tried to not choke on the water he’d just attempted to drink. He felt his heart stop as he looked over at the smiling Baekhyun.

“Well, since I’m still young, I haven’t dated and I can’t easily since I’m an idol. But I do like someone.”

This made the DJ almost squeal in her seat. She clearly hadn’t been expecting that answer. Chanyeol however, grew kind of outraged by it. They’d asked him the same question the day before and he was ignored and beat down by Baekhyun’s bad mood. Chanyeol knew he had no choice but to answer the question on broadcast but that didn’t make it any better.

By next commercial break, Chanyeol had lost all will to act like he was in a good mood. He excused himself from the studio and went in search of the bathroom. He didn’t want to be in the same room as Baekhyun to be quite honest.

The first thing he did when he walked in the bathroom was go over to the sink and splash cold water on his face. It soothed him to an extent but that didn’t help his overall mood. He was confused as hell and even though that’s not a hard task to do, it was different when it came to Baekhyun.

A few minutes of staring at himself in the mirror didn’t do much and he knew he needed to return but he really didn’t want to. He could always leave and walk back to the dorm however long that took. But he knew how much trouble he’d get in to for leaving a schedule. He sighed and rubbed his hands over his face one more time before exiting the bathroom.

When he got back to the studio however, there was no Baekhyun. He sat in his chair and waited for someone to come back in the room. For Baekhyun to come back to the room. But he didn’t. The DJ came in last minute so he couldn’t ask her before they had to go live again.

The show didn’t last much longer than that but Baekhyun never came back. As Chanyeol was telling everyone goodbye and thanking them for inviting he and Baekhyun, he started to feel angry again. If Baekhyun could run away from a schedule, why couldn’t he have? It would have saved him not only from embarrassment, but from more awkward questions.

Chanyeol got back out to the van by himself, not worrying about talking to the manager. He opened the back door to get in only to find Baekhyun huddled in his seat. He was laying on his side across the long bench in the middle, in the fetal position.

“…Baek?” He asked. In return he received no response. He sighed and leaned over to buckle the seatbelt over Baekhyun’s midsection. He closed the door again. This time he opened the front passenger side and got in. The manager came out a while later and didn’t say anything to either of them and that was fine by both.

When they got back to the dorm it was only a little passed 2pm. The others were out doing their own schedules or at practice. That meant Baekhyun and Chanyeol would be home alone for the rest of the day. For Baekhyun, that meant complete silence. For Chanyeol that meant internal chaos. He was on the verge of snapping. He was the crazy guy at the top of the bell tower about to plummet to the awaiting ground below. Baekhyun chose that moment to walk passed him then and that was when he actually did snap. Baekhyun was walking from the kitchen, about to go back to their room when Chanyeol shot up from his place on the couch. He grabbed Baekhyun’s arm and turned him around forcefully.

“Chan-“

“No. No, no, no, no. This isn’t how it goes! It’s not just Chanyeol and just Baekhyun! It’s Baek and Yeol!” Chanyeol could feel his heart accelerating.

“Chanyeol, stop you’re hurting me.” Baekhyun frowned, brow furrowing.

“Dammit Baekhyun, why are you mad at me? I didn’t do anything and if I did, I’m sorry! I mess up all the time so I must have done something but I’m sorry.” He pleaded with the smaller. His grip loosened just enough where Baekhyun could get away however. He snatched his arm away from the taller. Just as he thought he was getting away though, long, strong arms wrapped around him in a back hug. Chanyeol nuzzled his face into Baekhyun’s neck causing the other the close his eyes.

“Chanyeol,” Baekhyun started. “Chanyeol please let go of me.” He said, eyes still closed.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter