Atrocious Reminiscence

Estranged

Chanyeol and Chen would still be able to have talked about Cara for hours, but they spotted the Exo-house, they were almost home. The Exo-house  was the place where the Exo members lived together. It was a huge, wooden house on the edge of a cliff with a beautiful view on the sea. When Chanyeol and Chen came home, it was very late, far past midnight already. All the members had gone to bed and Chen was so tired that he decided to go too. Chanyeol, however, decided to take a shower. He always felt good whenever he could shower before he went to bed. There were four bathrooms in the Exo-house, Chanyeol shared one with Chen and D.O.. The warm water slid down his back, it felt even better after the cold rain. After approximately a quarter, Chanyeol almost fell asleep whilst showering, so he decided to turn off the shower, dry himself, put on his pyjamas, brush his teeth and go to bed. He went to his room. All members had their own room. Chanyeol’s room was on the side of the sea, and had a huge window so Chanyeol could look at the sea whenever he wanted to, water calmed him down. The closest moon, called Fortis, was full tonight. It looked like it was rising from the sea, and made, together with the reflection of the moon, a beautiful scenery. Chanyeol walked over to the window, placed his hand on the glass and sighed.

‘Fortis is amazing tonight, I came over to your room to take a better look,’ a voice suddenly said.

Chanyeol quickly turned around, he recognised the voice.

‘Tao, you scared me, man! ‘

Everyone knew Tao liked to take his time looking at beautiful sceneries or take a closer look at things. It was because he actually had that time. Tao had the ability to stop time whenever he wanted, he could also go back and forth through the time, but he could not go far into the future or the past. He could only travel two minutes through the time. He could not use this power to become invincible though, when he went through time, his body remained in the same condition as it had been before he turned back the time. Tao was one of the youngest of the members, very curious and incredibly smart, but he was also very closed and not so good at talking to people nor knew how to handle them. Although he was not very open, the member he was the closest too was Kris, who suffered from the same problem. Kris and Tao had been very good friends for as long as Chanyeol could remember.

Tao looked at Chanyeol, ‘I’m sorry, I wanted to take a look at it, but you know I sleep at the other side of the house. Since you were not home yet, I decided to look at it from your room. Beautiful, isn’t it?’

Chanyeol looked outside again and nodded.

‘You know what’s a nice feeling? If I want to, I can look at this for the rest of my life.’

Chanyeol looked back at Tao, lightly hurt.

‘Yes, that must feel very nice. I’m jealous at your power.’

‘Your power is very nice too, it’s strong and effective. If you want to, you could burn this whole house down with little to no effort, doesn’t that astonish you at all?’

‘No, it actually frightens me.’

Tao crossed his arms, ‘frightens you?’

‘Yes, I can hurt people. I don’t want to hurt anyone.’

Tao sighed, ‘hurt anyone? You know that it’s because of you that we can’t see our parents or friends. You might have been noticed at a very young age, but I was seven when they found me and brought me here. I remember my parents and friends clearly, and I was told to be able to see them again when I mastered my power.’

Chanyeol nodded, he was told the same thing when the older Exo members, their trainers who were often  nicknamed as The Elders, were still around. Although Chanyeol couldn’t see Tao, he felt that Tao looked at him in an angry way.

Tao continued, he screamed, ‘I practised, day and night. Till I was able to control my power completely. You don’t even know how hard it has been, it took me two years, time is a hard thing to master, you know. Then I found out that The Elders only told us this so we would practise more. It didn’t matter if I mastered my power, but another member didn’t.’ Tao took a deep breath. ‘It’s not just my story, it’s Chen’s too. And Baekhyun’s. Don’t you think you’re a bit selfish? Just because you were found at a very young age and don’t remember anything from your childhood, doesn’t mean we all do. What kind of older brother are you? Why don’t you practise anymore? Why don’t you try to master it? I want to see my family again, my father send me a message last week. My mother is sick, I want to take care of her, I want to see her once before she dies, she’s old and-.’

Tao abruptly stopped talking, tears dripped down from his chin. When Tao started about his family, his screaming voice turned into a whispering one, it was clear that he was very upset. Tao tried to wipe his tears as fast as he could, he probably didn’t want to show that he was crying, but it was of no use, too many fell down too quickly.

Tao looked down, formed fists with his hands, his voice trembled, ‘please, please master it, please help me, make me able to see my mother as fast as possible.’

Chanyeol was totally startled by Tao’s sudden outburst. Normally, Tao didn’t really show his emotions, he was often very quiet. Chanyeol turned his head away as he didn’t want to see how much he would hurt Tao by saying the words he was about to say.

‘I can’t. I can’t master it.’ Chanyeol closed his eyes, a tear rolled down his right cheek. ‘I can’t. I just can’t, I’m sorry.’

Tao looked at Chanyeol with disgrace, his voice turned into a dangerous one. ‘What do you mean, you can’t?’

‘It’s hard for me to explain, but know that if I could, I’d rather abandon my power forever and never use it again.’

Tao turned around and walked towards Chanyeol’s bed, then he turned around to face Chanyeol again. ‘Why do you act like this?’ he screamed, his face covered in the water of his tears.

‘I can’t tell you.’

‘Damnit Chanyeol, tell me now.’

Chanyeol’s voice turned very, very soft. He himself could barely hear it. ‘Okay, if you really want to know, I’ll tell you. Years ago, when I was about 7 years old and still practised, I got a severe case of elation. Don’t get me wrong, I was not a bad student. But I thought I was basically invincible, it was because of that freaking power. It makes you feel more powerful than you actually are. I started to act as if steering fire was the most easy thing in the world and did lots of extremely hard tricks, but I was not even close to being mastered enough to do them. One of my tricks went wrong, and Chen… He was at the wrong place, at the wrong moment. I burned him very badly. He was covered in wounds and was burning bright, the sight of it was gruesome. He kept screaming. I tried to put it out, but I only made it worse. I was unsure of what to do and seated myself and, you could call it ‘watched the show’. Eventually, Chen died and turned into nothing more than a pile of ashes, while I had watched the whole thing happen. I heard one of The Elders calling for our names, it was late, around midnight. I was crying soundlessly. I managed to squeak ‘I’m here’. The Elder saw me crying and asked me what was wrong, I pointed at the little pile of ashes and he seemed not to understand what was wrong, until I succeeded into getting another word out of my throat, still pointing, I whispered Chen’s name. The Elder gasped and screamed some cussing words, he yelled at me, screamed I was a monster, his eyes when he looked at me revealed pure fear and disgust. He told me to stay with Chen while he got The Reviving Elder, you know, the one that was able to turn dead things into living ones. First The Reviving Elder failed a few times, he had never revived a person before, only plants and animals. After we got all the ashes closely together, he managed to turn Chen into a living person again. Chen seemed not to know about what had happened, and I, nor the Elders ever told him. I didn’t dare to tell him, and I still don't. I’m a monster, or turned into one at least. Since that moment, I never dared to intensively use and practise with my powers again. And if something happens to someone now, no one will be there to undo it. I don’t ever want to use my powers again. I don’t ever want to hurt someone again. I don’t want to turn into the monster I actually am again.’

Tao laughed, ‘you actually burned down Chen?’

‘I don’t really see why you find this so funny.’

‘It sounds so unreal. Anyway, because you have a trauma, we can’t see our families ever again?’ said Tao coldly.

He acted so disrespectful and heartless, why was he like this?

‘I’m sorry,’ said Chanyeol, he turned around.

‘Now, get out of my room, quickly.’

‘Oh, I’m not going anywhere till I get you to go and practise your off. Do you think I’m contended with a sad story and  a weak ‘I’m sorry’?’

Chanyeol let down his hands and turned them into fists, he started to tremble. He felt it.

‘Stop it,’ he whispered. ‘Stop it and go away.’

‘What’s wrong, brother? Are you going to burn me down now?’ Tao sneered.

Chanyeol turned around quickly and in doing so, powerfully hit Tao’s cheek with one of his fists. Tao fell down, he didn’t expect Chanyeol to hit him.

‘Yes, I will if I don’t get away from here soon,’ Chanyeol screamed.

He ran down the stairs at top speed, through the hallway, through the front door, the house was so big. He ran about hundred metres away from the house. He fell to the ground, on his knees. There he released it all. Aggressively, he got rid of it, he needed to get rid of that damn fire as fast as he could, it streamed out of his body, making it seem like he was on fire. He screamed and almost immediately he felt that the fire found its way through his mouth too. It didn’t hurt, it just felt warm. He didn’t want it to be in his body, it had to get out of him. Why, of all people, did it have to be him? Why did he have the fire power? The stream of fire lessened and from the corner of his eyes, he saw that Tao was standing against the doorpost. When he saw that Chanyeol had calmed down, he finally dared to come closer again.

He walked over, folded his arms and arrogantly said, ‘see, this is why you need to get a freaking hold of yourself. Practise and make sure this never happens again. Don’t you want that?’

Chanyeol quieted down for a little while. ‘Fine, I’ll try,’ he then replied, hostilely.

Tao smiled triumphantly. ‘Good, I’ll let you sleep now then, go to sleep fast, it’s late and tomorrow is going to be an intensive day for you.’

Tao laughed and walked away. Chanyeol managed to get up, such an outburst took so much energy. He had left a circle of ashes at the place where he had gotten rid of the fire. The plants and grass that were once growing there, had all turned black.

‘What the hell is wrong with him all of a sudden?’ he asked himself, then he went back to his bedroom, searched for his bed, made sure he lay in a comfortable position and slept terribly.

 


 

Hi everyone!

For some reason I couldn't get contended about this chapter, I don't why.. I guess it's because it's mostly dialogue (again), but the dialogues are needed.. I'll try to put a bit less dialogues in there and more action, though! ^^ Anyway, I hope you enjoy it! :)

Love,

CNBlueBird