Uselessly Helpful

Estranged

Chanyeol walked through the forest. He was mocking again.

'You should take care of the fruit, there’s nothing else you can do anyway,’ he told himself, imitating one of s.

It was not fair. While he had to work so hard, all the others were probably playing games or taking a nap. There was not so much to do at the moment, so they took a day off. But their day off, meant more work for him. Of course they had practised for years to fully control their powers, and he hadn’t. That was the difference. And if you’re not able to control your powers, you'll end up as some sort of slave. It’s nothing but logical, since he was not able to help taking care of the world he had to take care of the members. One of the leaders made that decision, he just had to deal with it. Accept it and shut up. It was his own fault.

 

He rubbed his hands in his face and yawned. He was so tired, he had been walking through their district for hours, searching for good fruits and vegetables. He had promised Chen to prepare a big meal, since he had a free day. He was close with Chen. It was not that he wasn’t close with the others, but he just preferred Chen. He guessed it was because Chen kind of knew how he felt. Although Chen had learned to control his power, he didn't have so much work to do and was therefore not really usable either. Chen often helped Chanyeol to gather fruit and vegetables, sometimes he even helped to prepare meals, but not this day. It was hot, so Chen decided to stay at home with the other members.

 

Chanyeol decided to take a break, and sat down, next to the fructuses, fruits that looked a bit like apples, but were way sweeter and softer. He picked one and bit in it, the juice ran over his fingers. Where is Momo? he thought. Especially during this season, Momo always liked to wander around the orchard to find the best fructuses. You couldn’t really blame him though, it was almost impossible to dislike fructuses, they were so delicious.

‘Momo? Momo, where are you?’ he screamed whilst his voice echoed through the valley.

He looked around and saw something white moving behind a tree.

‘Ha! I see you, come over here!’

A gorgeous white animal jumped from behind the tree and playfully attacked him. The animal his face and Chanyeol started laughing.

‘Stop, stop, stop, Momo, it tickles! I’m glad to see you too, I’ve missed you!’

He gave Momo a hug and pet it carefully. Momo was a vulupes, something you could describe as a mix between a wolf and a fox. Momo was quite an intriguing individual, while most vulupeses were red, greyish or blackish, Momo was as white as snow and had deep, sparkling blue eyes. He had found Momo in the valley one day, Momo was all alone, so he’d decided to visit Momo at least twice a week. Momo and he became good friends and nowadays he visited Momo almost every day. If Chen did not join him in searching food, he often went to ask if Momo wanted to join, since Momo liked to go with him and was good at picking the best vegetables. Although animals could not talk on this planet either, humans and animals had been together for so long over here, that humans were often able to communicate and understand animals through their facial expressions. Adding up to this, the facial expressions of animals were far more developed than they were on Earth. Animals were thought to be able to understand human-tongue a bit, but scientists were not entirely sure of this.

‘Momo, I need to go and find the members food, want to tag along?’

Momo nodded excitedly, looking for food with his human-friend was more fun than to search for it alone, after all.

 

While they walked past the lake, he saw that Momo stopped walking and it seemed like Momo noticed an interesting sound. Two seconds later he heard it too. While they both listened closely, an extremely loud boom sounded behind them. They got blown away and swung through the air. Momo landed in the water, Momo was often the more lucky one of them. He, however, landed on the gravel next to the lake and the power of the sudden wind made him roll through the sharp stones. After a few seconds, he finally lost speed. He hadn’t even had time to scream. Slowly, he raised his head, which was covered in scratches that quickly changed some parts of his white skin into a deep-red colour.

‘Wh… What… The… Hell… Was… Th… That…?’

A smoke screen had formed itself, but through that smoke, he was able to  identify some kind of spaceship.

Many ships crashed into their planet nowadays, it started forty years ago, and the amount of crashes on their planet increased every year. There had never been anything useful inside of the ships though, they usually blew themselves up shortly after their crash anyway, probably thanks to inside fires that the crash caused. But he was curious, very curious, maybe this one contained something useful. He painfully got up, wiped the blood of his wounded hands off on his trousers and ran towards the spaceship, as quickly as he could. He wasn’t concerned about his wounds, they would probably be healed soon anyway. It was a race against the clock now, if he wanted to see what was inside the spaceship, he really needed to hurry. When he arrived at the spaceship, he searched for the front side, he knew that you could often find a window over there.

Check, this one had a window too.

He looked through the hole that probably had contained glass, but which had cracked now since the impact of the crash had been huge. His jaw dropped.

There actually was a person inside.

For one second, he hesitated, would he save this person? What if he was inside and the ship exploded?

No. He was going to do this. He was actually able to be helpful to someone now.

He climbed through the hole, the man was attached to lots of wires and tubes and there was a huge wound on his head. The man’s face was covered in blood, his long hair was soaked by it. Looking at the man, he started to panic, how was he able to take the human with him if he was fastened like this? He found that he could better begin with trying to detach all the wires and tubes, should he just snatch all the wires and tubes harshly? Wouldn't that hurt the poor man? Too bad, it was the only way to save him. And he was unconscious anyway, so he wasn’t able to resist Chanyeol’s help anyway. Slowly Chanyeol took a tube that was stuck in the nose, he carefully pulled it out. So far, so good, next. Many were attached to the head, with lots of caution he took them out one by one, without making it too bloody. But then he tried to detach the one attached to the wrist, he suspected this one was squirting some kind of fluid into the aorta. He struggled to loosen it. He gave it a huge pull and finally managed to pull it off. Unfortunately, the place where the tube was attached, started to bleed uncontrollably. He swore. This was basically undoable, there were still so many wires to go, and the spaceship was able to explode any minute.

Would Chanyeol do it?

Chanyeol was able to do some tricks, he practised sometimes, only when he was sure that he was alone though, and he would practise in his cave, just for safety measures. He didn't totally neglect his power, but he didn't want to learn how to gain complete control either, it was too dangerous. He only taught himself some very little tricks which could come in handy sometimes. This was such a time.

But... He hadn't used his power while someone was with him for years.

What if he hurt the man? He wouldn't be able to forgive himself.

He pulled a wire attached to the head, but it was not coming off. It was no use. There was no other option.

He lifted his right hand, it trembled. He concentrated on his index finger and felt all the warmth of his body stream towards it. He took a deep breath, closed his eyes and managed to be in perfect concentration. The point of his index finger felt warm, the kind of warmth he recognised. He opened one eye, a sigh of relief escaped from his lips. His finger was on fire, not a big fire, it was comparable to the amount of fire a matchstick produces, but he was contended. This was enough. Carefully he incinerated the wires and tubes, this was way faster than pulling them loose, less messy too. Once the man was not attached to the ship anymore, he lifted him and threw him out of the window, he looked around the ship, was there something useful over here? He noticed that the only thing in here, other than himself, was a suitcase. He took it and jumped out of the ship too. He quickly picked up the unconscious, bleeding body and sprinted inside his cave, not too far away from where the ship had landed. He was relieved when he saw that Momo was here too, they were all safe in here. Momo had brought a huge piece of wood, smart thinking. He lit it on fire so that they were able to see something. Chanyeol laid the person down, he was in a very poor condition, he needed to be healed immediately, we needed Lay. Feeling all useless again, Chanyeol stood up.

‘Momo, I need to look for Lay, he can cure him.’

Momo shook his head and stared at the body, lying on the cold, hard ground.

‘Huh, I don’t understand you. Why can’t we get Lay? This man will die if we leave him over here!’

Momo rolled his eyes, and urgently signed at the person. He brought his tail to his head and made a movement as if he was beheading himself. Chanyeol looked at Momo in confusion, but suddenly he understood what Momo was saying. Shocked, he held his hands in front of his mouth.

‘Oh god, you’re right, how couldn’t I think about that? Bringing him to Lay will kill him faster than if we would cure him ourselves. Thanks buddy, without you I’m lost, I swear!’

This man was probably an alien, aliens were forbidden over here. It was a law, anything that did not come from this world, would instantly be put away. If the object in question was alive, it would be executed. Anyone who helped an alien to live in this world, would be executed too. That law was made up by the previous Exo-group, when objects from outer space started to crash into this planet. Although they had never contained any living things, nor things at all, the law was made up to make sure that this planet would not get taken over by aliens.

‘Okay Momo, this is the plan, you keep putting pressure on his arm, while I’m going to fetch some leaves and twigs and get some water. We will have to do this ourselves.’

 

Chanyeol rushed outside and collected as many twigs and leaves from the first and best tree he saw. When he got to the lake to refill his bottle with water, he saw that Kai was standing there. He was looking at the crashed spaceship. Chanyeol almost forgot about the other members’ duties, of course Kai had teleported to everywhere to see where the sounds had come from. Kai turned around and spotted Chanyeol. He raised his hand to wave at Chanyeol, but quickly lowered it again and looked at him as if he was looking at a demon, Kai’s face was full of disgust.

‘What the hell happened?’ he screamed. ‘Are you wounded? Hurt? Did the spaceship hit you or were you close when it exploded? Oh my god, we need to take you to Lay right now.’

Kai sprinted over. Chanyeol realised that he was still covered in his and the man’s blood. He must have looked like he just stepped out of a bloody horror movie. He needed to be careful now, one wrong word and he would be in trouble.

‘No need to worry about me, just some scratches, I’m fine. I’ll ask Lay to heal me tonight. I still have so much to do, we’ll have a huge dinner tonight.’

‘You’re covered in blood, man! I’m taking you with me, there’s no way you will be able to walk all the way back by yourself!’

‘Really, I’m completely fine, don’t worry. I want to walk on my own, okay? I don’t feel like being teleported right now.’

‘Sure?’

‘Sure.’

‘Okay, as you wish then…’

Kai snapped his fingers and disappeared while leaving some smoke behind. Chanyeol sighed, thanks god, Kai was gone.

He kneeled to fill his bottle. When he stood up and turned around, he saw that Kai was back. He had brought Lay with him. Lay’s jaw dropped.

‘What the heck? Kai told me it was bad, but I did not expect it to be this bad! You’re covered in blood, it’s everywhere!’ Lay shouted in distaste.

‘Calm down,’ Chanyeol told him. ‘It are only scratches, really, I barely feel them. They just bleed very well. Come on, do your magic and I’ll be good.’

Lay rolled his eyes, he brought his hand to Chanyeol’s face and elegantly moved his fingers. Chanyeol had ignored the pain, he had forgot about his own wounds till Kai reminded him of them. He really almost didn’t feel a thing, but the feeling of the scratches and pain disappearing felt so good. After the face, Lay moved on to Chanyeol’s arms, hands and legs.

‘Thank you, Lay, those were the last ones. Can I now continue to carry out my duty, Kai?’

Kai nodded. Chanyeol got really impatient, he really had to go back to Momo and the alien.

‘Wait, have we had this one too?’ asked Lay, as he pointed at the huge bloodstain on Chanyeol’s shoulder.

There was no wound over there, it was probably the blood of that alien. His head had rested over there when Chanyeol carried him to the cave.

‘It’s nothing, there’s no injury over there.’

Lay raised one eyebrow.

‘I… I must have put my hand over there, while it was still bleeding. Guys, I really need to go now! I need to search for more fructuses, you know how much Kris likes those.’

Lay looked at Chanyeol in distrust, but nodded in the end, ‘we’ll leave you alone for now then, as you wish.’

Kai snapped his fingers and they both turned into nothing more than some smoke. Chanyeol sighed in relief, he was not such a good liar and didn’t like to lie either, but now he needed to rely on his acting skills to save a life. He ran back into the cave, as quickly as his legs allowed him to go. When Chanyeol finally arrived, Momo angrily stared at him.

‘Yeah, I know, I’m late, I’m sorry, Kai came and -.’

Momo barked impatiently, he obviously was not waiting for an excuse right now.

‘Sorry,’ Chanyeol told him again as he got on his knees.

He put some leaves on the man’s wrist, while Momo tried to make sure that they did not spill too much blood. Chanyeol tied the leaves to the wrist with the twigs, as tight as he could. He tried to clean the wound on the head with some water, he then covered it with leaves too. This would do for now, he couldn’t get him some real bandages and patches. They didn’t have those at home, since they had Lay of course. And since they didn’t live together with the regular people, he wasn’t able to buy them either. Chanyeol had no legit reason to leave their part of the world.

 

Chanyeol started to detach the last of the tubes and wires that were attached to the person. He finally took the time to take a close look at the alien. He didn’t look all that different from the humans Chanyeol knew, his body shape was just a little odd. The man was slightly smaller than Chanyeol, nothing special about that, but he also had bigger s than Chanyeol, longer hair, a more narrow waist and then again wider hips. Not so bad of a body type actually. Chanyeol moved the hair out of the man’s face. His face was so handsome, not manly at all though, but soft and cute. It was pretty. Chanyeol stared at it for some minutes and slowly cocked his head. He then seemed to remember where he was and noticed that Momo gave him a questioning look.

‘Momo, listen to me. Will you watch over him? I’ll return every day to take care of him a bit, but you need to watch him, okay? I can’t do that, you know, the members will find out and kill him. I don’t think he’s dangerous.’

Momo nodded and Chanyeol left the cave to quickly collect the first berries he could find and made it home before it was dark.

 

When Chanyeol had prepared dinner for s, they all came together to eat. Kai brought up the story about how Chanyeol was completely covered in blood and how shocked he and Lay were. Chanyeol told he group that he got blown away while he was picking fruits at the orchard and that this was the cause of his wounds. Kris, one of the leaders, confirmed that the shocks of the crashed spaceship were so big that they were able to be felt in their house, which was quite far from the valley. He asked if Chanyeol had gone to see if there was something in the spaceship.

‘I bet there wasn’t,’ said Tao, one of the younger ones, he had always been interested in the spaceships that landed on our planet.

Chanyeol shook his head, ‘I guess we can clean up the mess that the ship caused, nothing cool to find over there but fruits and vegetables.’

The members laughed and agreed, Chanyeol got them some alcohol, they continued talking until they had all fallen asleep.

 

The next morning Chanyeol woke up early to see the alien as soon as possible. He changed the leaves and sat with the man for some time, he still didn’t move, he still breathed though. There was hope that he might recover. After he had sit and stared at the man for some time, he asked Momo to watch him again as Chanyeol needed to do his job. After three days, the leaves were not needed anymore, the alien was no longer bleeding and the wound seemed to heal. This was very good news. The bad news was that Chen started to ask why Chanyeol didn’t want him to come with him to collect food. Chanyeol told him that he just wanted to be alone these days, as he didn’t feel very well. He couldn’t do much else than hoping that Chen would buy it. Chen insisted to go with him the next day, Chen told him that otherwise he would be bored to death in this place. Chanyeol had to agree if he didn’t want to be distrusted. So on the fourth day, he collected food together with Chen. Chanyeol couldn’t resist to take a look at the alien though. As Chen and Chanyeol had almost returned home, Chanyeol covered his mouth with his hands.

‘Oh no, I forgot Tao’s favourite berries! I have to go back, otherwise I won’t be able to forgive myself. Tao will get so angry and surely throw a tantrum!’

Chen sighed, ‘but we’re almost home! I don’t really feel like walking the whole way back.’

‘That’s okay, I’ll go and get them, you can go home if you want to.’

‘No, I’ll go with you, it’s also my fault!’

Chanyeol sighed, Chen was too good of a person, he could have known this.

‘I insist that you go home, it’s my job, not yours,’ said Chanyeol as he forced himself to chuckle.

‘But you’ll be wandering in the dark when you get home, and as your older brother, I’m responsible if something happens to you.’

‘We don’t live in dangerous times anymore, the biggest dangers are humans themselves. And they are not even over here as we live on a piece of land that is excluded from everyone.’

Chen quieted down for a bit, he lowered his voice and whispered, ‘we could live with the rest of the world if you learned how to control your power.’

Ouch. Chanyeol looked at Chen, ‘please go, Chen. We don’t differ that much in age, you shouldn’t feel responsible for me. I’ll make sure nothing happens to me.’

With these words, Chanyeol turned around and left Chen behind.

 

He walked till he was out of Chen’s sight, then started to run back to the valley. It was afternoon already, it was warm and sunny. He finally arrived at the cave, he ran inside and walked for some time. He couldn’t remember that he had to go this far into the cave to find Momo and the man, but he kept walking anyway. He noticed that he was getting to the end of the cave. No, no, no, this couldn’t be right, he thought. He just hadn’t looked carefully, he must’ve passed Momo and the alien and Momo was just hiding to make fun of him later. He ran back and carefully looked everywhere. No sight of Momo or the alien. Was he in the wrong cave? But… There was only one cave, right? What if Kris had entered the cave? Or someone else and told Kris about the alien? Kris was very strict when it came down to laws. The others were too, but Kris was the worst. If Kris found out, he would definitely get the alien killed. That must have happened. Kris found Momo and the alien. They are both going to die. It’s my fault. He ran outside, maybe he could see them somewhere, maybe he could stop Kris. No, he would get killed too. He slowly stopped running. His vision started to spin and got blurry, he wasn’t able to think properly anymore. He felt an extreme, notorious heat in his heart, which quickly spread through his whole body. He was losing control. The heat found its way to his hands, his deadly hands. Chanyeol felt the heat escaping his body, through his hands. There was nothing Chanyeol could do about it, the enormous amount of fire reached some trees, which caught fire. He didn’t know how to tame fire nor how to steer it. He ran back to the cave again, trying hard not to lose control again. He sat down for a bit and tried to calm himself down and think about what could’ve happened.

 

He saw that it was getting dark already. Ultimately, he stood up, determined to check the cave one last time. It was actually unlikely that Kris had come into the cave, not unthinkable, but very unlikely. It was also unlikely that another member had done this, Chanyeol was basically the only person that ever came here and only brought Chen along a few times a week. He always kept an eye on Chen, to make sure that he wouldn’t get lost, and even if Chen knew, he would not immediately go and tell Kris.

…Right?

No, he wouldn’t.

Chanyeol walked to the end of the cave again. Nothing. He slowly walked back, he was deeply concentrated. He didn’t want to lose control again. All of a sudden, he heard a cough. The cough startled him so much, he lost his concentration. He managed to focus some of the heat to his index finger and actually pulled off the matchstick-light again, but this time he was almost unable to keep the rest of the heat in, the heat was nearly bursting out of him. There was no way this would end right. He stopped focussing on his finger, and the heat spread through his body again. He hadn’t even been able to see who was coughing. He decided to run, before he really exploded. He ran as fast as he could. Behind him, he heard the footsteps of someone following him.

Get away from me, he thought. You’re not going to survive this.

He ran and ran, but when he was almost outside, his foot bended in an inhuman way. He fell down, right on his just healed face. Great. God that hurt. He lost his last bit of focus that was keeping all of the heat inside. The next thing he saw was fire.

Everywhere.

 

And this is where two stories collide and create one story.

 


 

See, told you Exo would join in this week, haha!

Have a happy Easter everyone! ^^