Chapter 7: The way we are now...

Soul's mate

The boy chuckled at the sight of his girl concentrating on a book she got from God knows where, her glasses elegantly perched on her small nose, brows furrowed in deep concentration, word processor cursor blinking nonstop on the idle screen. The boy often wondered how on earth they got together. They were polar opposites… one patient and one notorious for having a short temper… one was adventurous and the other was laid back. A soft smile grazed the boy’s lips as he thought about the ordeals they had to go through before ending up with each other.

They were rivals in all aspects at school… for the student council presidency, for the valedictory position, the debate, sportsfest and everything else so it was a surprise for everyone when they ended up falling in love with each other.

He walked directly behind the seat of his girl and leaned using his elbows on the chair’s back rest.

“Yuki… what are you reading? Reference materials?”

The girl looked up and smiled at her boyfriend… “Yeah for a report Kim-seongsangnim wants… It’s a book about soulmates… according to this they say that you were born with someone whose soul completes yours…”

“You believe in that kind of stuff?”

Yuki stood and glared at her boyfriend, “Yah Park SangHyun! Are you trying to pick a fight with me?”

The boy waved his hands in front of his face expressing surrender at his girlfriend’s pissed face. “No honey, of course not... I just don’t believe much in those kinds of things and its not that I’m not mocking the great Takahashi Yuki.”

Yuki relaxed and placed the book down followed by her glasses then welcomed the hug from the boy.

“But… isn’t it romantic to think that there is someone out there that was created just for you?”

“Hmm… I guess… should I believe it too?”

Yuki shrugged “I dunno… it depends on you… I can’t dictate what you should or should not believe in.”

Sanghyun laughed and Yuki smiled having a weird feeling of deja vu… “I think I should though… since I have found the other half of my soul in my arms right now.”

“How can you even be sure that I’m your soul mate?”

“I dunno… I just have this weird feeling that I shouldn’t let you go after I’ve waited so long.”

Yuki tsk-ed but was smiling nonetheless “You’re too cheesy for your own good.”

“But you love me even if I’m this cheesy…”

Yuki released herself from the hug “Yeah, yeah… um, want to grab something to eat? I’ve been working on that report for a while now”

“I know. Such a neglecting girlfriend, I’ve been left alone to entertain myself while you finish that report of yours.”

“Shut it Park. You don’t want me to start on the time when you won’t walk home with me cause of the basketball finals”

Sanghyun just chuckled and kept silent, grabbed their coats from the hanger and waited for Yuki to lock the door. He slipped his hand on hers as they started their walk to the convenience store a few blocks from the apartment. They basked in comfortable silence, relishing the feel of having the other close. Even without words, they can feel the connection within them that goes stronger each passing day.

Inside the locked apartment… the cursor of the spreadsheet continued to blink as it waits for the next entry…

“There are different definitions and beliefs regarding soul mates… according to Wiki... A soul mate is a person with whom one has a feeling of deep and natural affinity, love, intimacy, uality, spirituality, and/or compatibility. A related concept is that of the twin flame or twin soul – which is thought to be the ultimate soulmate, the one and only other half of one's soul, for which all souls are driven to find and join.

There is no specific evidence that soul mates are real. Some say it was created to satisfy the romantic heart… some say it had something to do with divine intervention. For me though, when you really love someone and that person loves you back, you share half of your soul with him/her. You share the same laughter, share the same tears, share the same pain and share the same grief.  You are the other’s strength as he/she is yours.  “