Chapter 5: Promise

Soul's mate

A young soldier crouched in front of a 12 year old girl. He felt a certain familiarity when the little girl smiled at him.

“Maybe I missed my sister” the young soldier thought and he petted the girl’s head.

He was surprised though when the little girl said, “Mister, come back to me after 10 years… I want to be your wife.”

For the first time since the start of the war, the young soldier laughed. He made a pinky promise with the girl before he was summoned to join his comrades to the battlefield.

Ten years later, a young lady was sitting on the park bench where he met a young soldier when she was just a little girl. She had been waiting for the last few years but her trust at the childish promise she made with the soldier never wavered.

After an hour, the lady stood… her regular 2-3 hour wait is over. She needs to get to work for now and come back the next day to wait for her soldier.

“So we meet again..."

The lady suddenly turned and came face to face with a matured version of the soldier she had met 10 years ago. She smiled, “ I'm a person who keeps promises…”

The soldier smiled back, “so am I, little one. Does your offer still stand?”

The lady scoffed, “it was not an offer mister… it was a statement.”

The soldier’s smile turned to a full laugh and the lady thought she can live all her life listening to that sweet sound.  His eyes had a mischievous glint when he eventually stopped laughing, “how about we talk about that over coffee?”

“Let’s go then mister…”

The soldier took the lady’s hand, “don’t call me mister, I have a name.”

“Hm.. but you never told me your name…”

"You never asked..."

And their love story continued until they were both old, wasting their life on a beach side house that the soldier bought for his beloved.