"I'm Engaged to You"

The Charismatic Eric Nam

I didn’t know how long the week would feel.

It became a habit to arrive, greet the paparazzi’s and sit down for hours next to Eric. I would sing to him since he used to tell me how much he liked my voice. Every other day Kevin would come to visit him too.

Everyday dragged on, I missed Eric so much. I missed the way he would smile at me and I couldn’t wait for him to wake up so I could see that smile of his again.

 His mother eventually arrived from the U.S as well.

I didn’t know that the moment he would finally wake up, I would just happen to not be there.

I was at the grocery store when I got the call.

“He’s awake Ella! He’s awake!” his mother yelled excitedly into the phone. I paid quickly for the things and drove at the speed of a mad woman to the hospital. When I was right in front of his room the doctor was the one to stop me this time.

“What is it doctor? Can’t I see him?” I asked a tone of desperation and sadness in my voice.

“Miss Ella, I must warn you. It appears he has some memory loss, please be kind and patient with him”

I felt like they had just ripped my heart and stepped on it even more than they already had. Why did they never have gone news for me?

“Are you trying to tell me he won’t remember me?” I asked defensively.

“I’m not sure miss he seems to remember his mother and-”

“Let me in” I demanded cutting the poor man off. I didn’t mean to react like that, but the emotions inside of me were causing me to be a bit harsh.

“Miss Ella please be patient” he begged but opened the door to me anyways. I walked in, his mother and Kevin were talking. They were smiling too but it seemed that when I peeked in through the door everyone’s mood shifted. I bowed and looked at Eric. His beautiful eyes were okay and they were staring right back at me. He bowed back with his head although I was sure it must have hurt. That’s when I realized something was wrong. His reaction wasn’t what I expected.

“Eric” I whispered frozen in place. He gave me an awkward polite smile, but not the smile he used to give me.

“We’ll leave you two alone, let’s go Kevin” his mother whispered. Kevin looked sad.

“Patience” he whispered to me as he walked out. I nodded in return and turned around to face Eric.

Eric looked back at me confused.

“How-how are you feeling?” I stuttered whipping the sweat of the palms of my hands against my jeans.

“Other than the throbbing in my head…I’m feeling pretty good” he managed to joke.

I managed to smile.

“That’s good, I’m glad you are feeling a bit better” I whispered back not knowing exactly what to say. He nodded.

“How’s Ailee?” he asked. I blinked. Why was he asking for her?

“Umm I think she’s doing well. She’s still promoting her song Singing Got Better it came out a few months ago but why do you ask?”

This time he blinked.

“Well you’re her best friend and assistant…” he replied back like if it was obvious.

I had not been her assistant for 2 years already. We were still best friends but the fact he mentioned me as her assistant gave me a view of who I was to him in his memory.

“I’m not her assistant anymore. I-I do you know who I am?” I asked trying not to sound hurt.

“You’re Ella, Ailee’s best friend, aren’t you?” he asked innocently. He was really clueless. The doctor came in with perfect timing.

“Eric Nam how are you feeling?” he asked with a loud voice.

“I’m doing better sir! Are you going to explain what happened to me now?” he replied back in a friendly manner.

“Yes” he replied back and brought his tablet up to him, showing him the MRI scans.

“You were in a car accident, your brain was swollen from the impact, we put you in an induced coma and you finally woke up today. We are going to run several tests on you soon to see what was affected. It appears you lost your memory” he added calmly. Eric looked at him confused when he mentioned his memory.

“But doctor, I don’t think I lost my memory…” he mumbled.

“According to your mother and friend, you remember things from 2 years ago. I don’t think you even know your comeback song do you sir?” the doctor asked Eric. Eric thought for a moment his eye brows furrowed.

“I don’t” he replied back after thinking about it.

“You see, you have a lot of catching up to do. Especially with this lady, I’ll leave you too alone” he spoke softly, bowed and left us alone.

For once though, I didn’t want the doctor to leave, I couldn’t explain myself. I looked back at Eric who was just staring at me. He didn’t even know about the immense urge I had to kiss him.

“Are you okay?” he asked. I nodded and took a step closer to him. I walked slowly to the seat next to him. I sat down and took a deep breath.

I looked at the ring on my hand, it felt heavy. I began to cry. I covered my face with my hands to conceal some of the crying.

“Ella?” I heard someone say but it wasn’t Eric, it was Kevin. I removed the hands from my face to look at Kevin. I ran into his arms and began to cry hard and loud. Sobs.

“Did you tell him?” Kevin whispered to me. I shook my head.

“Tell him, I’ll comeback when you’re done” he whispered and let go off me.

“Fighting!” he whispered and raised his hands in fists. He was so optimistic but I wasn’t.

I wiped my tears with my sleeve. Eric looked like he had never been more confused in his life.

“Can you explain to me what’s going on?” he asked patiently. I showed him my ring.

“You’re engaged to Kevin?”

I shook my head and reached for his hand to hold. He didn’t refuse for whatever reason.

“No, I’m-I’m engaged to you…I’m your-your” I sighed holding back my tears.

“Fiancé” I uttered.

His expression was blank.

Like if what I had said made no sense.

“Fiancé?” he asked pulling his hand away from mine. That simple gesture tore my heart into pieces.

“I’m-I’m going to go outside” I stuttered and headed out, stumbling on a wire but continued out the door nonetheless. I ran out ignoring Kevin and Eric’s mother. I didn’t know where I was going but I felt sick and couldn’t bear the hospital smell anymore or the fact Eric had forgotten me.

***

Author's Note:

Thank you to my 4 subscribers and the people who have commented :)

Sorry if the plot is slow right now, I'm working on two other stories and when I finally get to writing this one...the plot has to go slow since they are the first chapters!

Thank you once more!