His Fiancé

The Charismatic Eric Nam

His Fiancé

“Eric….he-he’s been in a car accident. He’s at the hospital near your home. I’m surprised they called me, I’m still in the U.S right now. Please go to the hospital and let me know how he’s doing. I’m begging you, hurry” his mother pleaded. She sounded like she had been crying for a long time.

I felt a lump in my throat. I couldn’t even respond back. I took a deep breath and told myself not to panic. To contain myself from the anxiety and fear.

“Yes, I’ll be on my way. Thank you” I managed to utter. I grab my coat, keys and wallet. I had no time to waste.

As soon as I walked into the hospital, I ran to the receptionist.

“I’m looking for Eric Nam, he-he got into an accident” I asked trying to sound as patient as possible. The dark and gloomy feeling of the hospital wasn’t making me feel any better.

“Room 412” the lady replied back in a monotone.

I nodded and bowed and rushed to the elevator. Managing to fit with the people who were already on it. I pressed the button for the 4th floor and waited. I felt the awkward stares around me.

I was in my pajamas and in a coat. I must have looked crazy. Thankfully I was the first floor we were arriving at.

I rushed out and looked for the room frantically, becoming more impatient by the second. In no time 412 was right in front of my face. I was about to step in when I was stopped by a nurse.

“I’m sorry miss, are you looking for someone?”

“I’m looking for Eric Nam”

“Are you family?”

“I’m his fiancé” I replied.

She shook her head.

“I’m sorry, there is no way to confirm that. We are only allowing family members” she said coldly and walked away from me like that. I face palmed myself, as if the ring on my finger didn’t say enough already.

“I’m his fiancé, please I need to see him” I begged going after the nurse.

“I’m sorry but he is in intensive care, we can only allow family. It is a rule”

“But, is he at least okay?” I pleaded.

“I’m sorry but I am not allow to disclose any information. I do not want to lose my job” she replied bluntly and walked away.

I felt anger rising inside of me. I felt water down my face. I looked up to see where it was falling from, it took me 10 whole second to realize how stupid I must have looked. The tears were coming from my very own eyes.

I felt useless, I felt like a silly fan not his fiancé.

I sat down in the waiting room and wrapped my coat around myself like a blanket. No one else was going to come and rescue me or confirm I was indeed his significant other.

I fell asleep for what felt like 8 hours but only 4 had passed. I got up went to the restroom to try and fix myself up. When I reached the floor he was in, there was an immense amount of paparazzi’s.

I didn’t even know what to do. One of them turned to face me and then realized who I was.

“Eric Nam’s fiancé” he whispered to his friend and they began taking pictures of me. The rest of the paparazzi’s realized this fact and began to take pictures of me as well. I made a run for it. This was beyond embarrassing. I went back home feeling useless and let him mother know what had happened. She sighed a paper saying that I was his fiancé and faxed it to me.

I put on some make up and got ready. Before I headed back to the hospital I checked the news and just like I suspected, there was already an article on me. It read:

Eric Nam’s fiancé was not permitted into the hospital room, are they still together?

I felt anger in my insides.

How could they begin rumors when they aren’t even sure of Eric’s wellbeing?

There were photographers outside of the hospital, it appears that they were kicked out for privacy.

I walked in with confidence this time. I asked what room he was in, they told me they had moved him to 503.

I nodded, headed up the stairs instead of the elevator, walked up to his room and knocked on the door.

“Excuse me but who are you?” a nurse came rushing in.

“I’m his fiancé” I whispered coldly and pushed the paper onto her hands.

“and if you don’t believe me, here’s a newspaper article on me” I said and handed it to her. I noticed another nurse appear. It was the same one from the 4th floor.

“We are sorry-” the new nurse began but I cut her off.

“Is it not enough evidence?” I snapped.

The lady looked down and shook her head. I took out my phone.

“You see all these pictures” I said and showed her my gallery of photo’s in which he was almost in all of them.

“Is this not-not enough?” I whispered. I covered my mouth to contain the sound. I had begun to cry, a hysterical cry.

The doctor approached us. The nurses bowed immediately.

“You are his fiancé?”

“Haven’t I made that clear?” I snapped once more.

“Yes and we are sorry, if you may follow me to my office”

I nodded and walked with the doctor to his office not very far away from Eric’s room. He popped up some pictures of MRI’s and CAT scans.

“As you can see, Eric’s brain was affected by the impact. We had to place him in an induced coma so that his brain can begin repairing itself, the damage does not look too serious, however we are unaware of how much damage was caused. We will find out when we wake him up from the coma a week from now. Would you like to see Mr. Nam? ”

I tried to follow every word he said. I nodded immediately.

“Follow me” he signaled.

When the door to Eric was finally opened to me, I felt that same panic and anxiety I felt when I first found out about the accident. When I finally saw his face, I felt like I was looking at someone else.

I could no longer hold back my sobs or tears, I let them all out.

His face was immensely bruised. His head had stiches. He looked beyond pale and you could see the inflammation in his head. It appeared he fractured his arm as well.

I rushed over to him and tried to touch a part of his face that wasn’t bruised.

“Eric” I whispered.

“Please heal, I love you so much. Just please wake up and be fine”

I didn’t even notice the moment when I finally fell asleep. Just knowing he was somewhat okay, allowed me to sleep once more.