Saturday Afternoon

Almost Like the Real Thing

Kyuhyun was doing homework when Ryeowook returned.

“Kyuhyun! I’m back!” 

“I’m in the study!” He called.

The door slid open to reveal slightly worn out looking Ryeowook still in his volunteer vest and nametag. “Hey, I got one of those supermarket pizzas. You want me to heat it up so we can eat?”

 “Yeah, sure,” Kyuhyun nodded absentmindedly. It seemed Ryeowook was tired since he accepted that answer and closed the door.

Kyuhyun turned his attention back to the textbook.

“Ideograms do not represent a specific pronounciation. Instead they represent the various ideas or concepts developed by the society over a period of thime. The most prominent one today is the written system in China using over 400 characters; 240of which can be built into more complex-"

Suddenly there was a loud shriek and a crash. “Kyuhyun!” Ryeowook’s panicked cry pierced the air. Kyuhyun went rocketing out of his chair and into the hall. As soon as he reached the living room he could see his boyfriend standing frozen in the kitchen with the pizza on the floor.

“Kyuhyun!” He whipped around staring desperately at the taller, “Why is the baby in the oven?”

The doll was laying on the wire rack like a large loaf of bread. It was wrapped in several layers of blankets and staring motionless at the ceiling.

Kyuhyun blinked at the question.

“The oven is soundproof.”

“Kyuhyun!”

“It kept screaming for no reason! What did you expect me to do!?”

“I don’t know; take care of it!?” Still slightly hysterical, Ryeowook pulled the $800 doll out of the baking oven which thankfully was not .

Kyuhyun watched as his boyfriend frantically patted the baby while holding it tight against his chest. He was even whispering reassurances in its ear. The thing wasn’t even crying.

The sight made Kyuhyun rather upset. It wasn’t like the doll could hear him or understand him so what was the big deal?

Walking over, Kyuhyun started cleaning up the pizza. Luckily it had only slid partially off the pan. Some shredded cheese and pepperoni were scattered all over the floor but Kyuhyun just tossed them back on wihtout a care. The floor was clean enough.

Shutting the oven door, Kyuhyun set the heat on before walking into the living room. Ryeowook had stridden out of the kitchen while soothing the inanimate object and was still soothing it now.

“Hey, if I wore a diaper and baby clothes would you cuddle me too?”

Ryeowook turned to glare at him. “That’s not funny, Kyuhyun. Your neglect is bordering on abusive."

"Oh come on; it's not like I would do that with a real baby."

"You’re completely missing the point of this assignment.”

“And I think you’re missing the part that says ‘assignment,’” Kyuhyun snapped, “Seriously Ryeowook, it’s a doll.”

“It’s a baby.”

“It’s a computer covered in plastic! Just because it’s shaped like a baby does not make it a baby!”  

“That's not the point, Kyuhyun!” Ryeowook nearly shouted, “This assignment is not to teach you to find the easiest way out. It is to teach you about parenting.  If you wouldn't have put a real baby in the oven thenwhy would you do it with this one?"

Kyuhyun frowned uncomfortably.

“Exactly.” Ryeowook turned away. Carefully, he set the machine back into its carrier. Then he turned back to his boyfriend and said in a stern voice:

“Go get the baby packet.” When his boyfriend didn't move, Ryeowook growled in a much darker tone, “Now.” That was one Kyuhyun knew better than to argue with.

Silently, he stalked back to his room for the papers. This was ridiculous. It was a doll. It's not like he'd chosen the oven for its baking properties; more like for its silencing properties. Snatching the papers off his desk, Kyuhyun stormed back into the room, frustrations building with each step. Just as he was about to let out a very well-prepared defense argument, he saw Ryeowook, slumped on the couch with his head in his hands

Kyuhyun felt the anger leave his body. Ryeowook was tired. He was always tired. Sometimes, he was so good at hiding it that even Kyuhyun would forget. Sighing, he walked over and nudged his boyfriend.

 “I got the packet,” he said, holding out the sheets.

Ryeowook looked. Taking the packet, Ryeowook gave him a small smile and what remained of the tension in the air disappeared.

Kyuhyun settled next to him as the smaller rifled through the sheets. The doll carrier faced towards them on the coffee table. It was odd, but he felt as if the doll were accusing him. The oven thing was really spur of the moment, and didn’t end up hurting it. Still, he found the stare quite uncomfortable and had to keep looking anywhere but there.

A minute later, Ryeowook found what he was looking for.

“Here it is!” he piped, holding the page out for Kyuhyun.

He peered closely at it, “Is that a birth certificate?”

“Yes, and we’re going to fill it out.” Ryeowook snatched a pen from the table and began marking the parental and witness information. “You need to stop thinking of the baby as an ‘it’ and more like a ‘her’ and to do that, you are going to give her a name. Okay?”

Kyuhyun stared at him blankly. “I’m sorry; how is that going to help?”

Ryeowook sighed and handed him the form. “Naming something makes the object more personal especially if you choose it yourself. I really want you to name this baby so you can develop some feelings for it and why are you laughing?”

“It’s… just,” Kyuhyun sniggered, “You said you want me to ‘develop feelings’ for a doll-”

“Kyuhyun!” Ryeowook cried.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry.” He hastily held up his hands in surrender before Ryeowook could smack him with the pillow.

“Just, think of some names. Any names. 

Kyuhyun frowned. He thought long and hard but it seemed as if every plausible name had simply fallen out of his head. Finally, he huffed,"I don't know. Bob? I've really never thought about this stuff."

"It's easy," Ryeowook said, scooting closer to the taller, "Just think, what would you want to call this little girl? What do you think of whenever you see this adorable little doll staring you in the eyes?

Kyuhyun didn’t even hesitate. “Lamia.”

“No.”

“But that’s what she-”

 “No.”

Kyuhyun let out a huff. To be honest, he didn’t think Ryeowook would know the Latin word for witch.

“Okay, then how about Cynthia, for synthetic?”

Ryeowook shook his head. “No.”

“Well then, what about Tiffany? Like in Bride of Chucky-”

“No.”

“Okay fine,” Kyuhyun frowned, forehead creasing in concentration, “Then how about Luna?”

“Luna?” Ryeowook cocked his head.

“Yeah, see Luna means moon, the moon represents chastity, and this is a teen pregnancy lesson so-”

“No!”

Kyuhyun jumped back at the force of that one.

“Stop thinking of names that connect her to the assignment! That point of you naming her is to make her as real as possible! Not to promote abstinence!”

“Well I’m sorry! But it has a really creepy stare and all I can think about when I see it is voodoo dolls and not having !”

Ryeowook took a deep breath.  

“Okay, Kyuhyun. I know you aren’t the type of guy to think of names for his future children, but don’t you have anything? Maybe even just a name you thought would go well with Cho?”

Kyuhyun leaned back, thinking, “Well, I thought if I ever got a fish I would name it Starcraft.”

He attempted a weak smile. Ryeowook looked at him for a moment, and then he threw himself face first against the couch. Kyuhyun instinctively backed away when he started screaming into the pillows. That was hardly a good sign.

Kyuhyun waited for the smaller to quiet back down to heavy breathing before scooting himself back over. Cautiously, he began the petite's back. They said circles were soothing. Soon, he felt brave enough move the smaller’s legs and snuggle up next to him. Ryeowook was warm and soft and Kyuhyun could easily pull him close. So he did.

They stayed like that for a little while until Ryeowook’s breathing panned out and he was able to look up again. 

“Why do you have to be so strange?” He asked, burying his face into Kyuhyun’s chest.

“Because everyone else in your life is too boring?” He cheekily suggested.

Ryeowook just hugged him tighter so he took that as a yes. Gently, he nuzzled his partner’s soft hair. It tickled his nose but it smelled too nice for him to care.

“I didn’t mean to make you upset,” he said softly.

“It’s okay.”

“No, we don’t have to name the baby right now. Not if I'm going to frustrate you.”

“It’s fine. It's just... the store was full of idiots and one of them broke a guitar  and then the boss blamed it on me and I’m just… I'm really tired.”

“Well, I can't speak for the morons but the baby’s very sorry she kept you up last night.”

Ryeowook smiled and let out a little laugh. "Then tell her she is forgiven." And Kyuhyun felt that extended to more than to just the mechanical doll.

Together they lay cuddled up on the sofa simply listening to each other’s heartbeat. Ryeowook got the privilege of also feeling the rise and fall of Kyu’s chest which came in a soothing pattern. Moments before he fell asleep, Kyuhyun spoke again.

“So what did you name your baby? I’m not going to copy it; just wondering.”

“Mmm,” he with eyes closed, he nuzzled the taller's neck, “Julia, I think. Yeah, Julia. I was going through a big Sound of Music spree and decided that if it was a girl I’d name her Julia and if it was a guy, I’d name him Andrew.”

This made Kyuhyun laugh. “Is that what you’d name your actual kids, Julia and Andrew?”

“Oh goodness no. Could you imagine how tacky that’d sound?”

“I don’t have to imagine it; you just told me.” Kyuhyun chuckled as Ryeowook lightly swatted him. Capturing his hand, Kyuhyun gradually entwined their fingers.

“So,” he said, bringing his nose to brush upon Ryeowook’s, “What would you name your kids, since you would plan that out before you even had one?”

Ryeowook paused. “Soli. Kim Soli.”

 The younger quirked an eyebrow, “Korean?”

“Yes,” Ryeowook grinned, “And Western. Soli is a musical term.”

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes, “I should’ve known.”

"Yes. You should have."

Kyuhyun smiled as his boyfriend closed the gap between their lips. He kissed back in a leisurely style, taking time to memorize the touch of the Ryeowook’s lips. It was the relaxed and comfortable atmosphere that they hadn’t experienced in far too long. No time limit. No outsiders. No distractions. With Ryeowook wrapped around him, Kyuhyun felt like he could stay like this for the rest of his life.  

But then suddenly, Ryeowook broke the kiss.

“Kyuhyun,” he said, scrunching his nose, “What’s burning?”

The younger frowned and then froze. “Oh crap!" He yelled "The pizza!” And Kyuhyun desperately scrambled up to catch it before it caught fire.

 

Certificate of Birth

Date of Birth: April 10, 2014

Name of Child: ___________

Parent: Cho, Kyuhyun

Occupation: 11th grader

As witnessed by: Kim, Ryeowook


 

Some Kyuwook fluff for missing an update. Just for the record though, naming my baby was the only decent part of the assignment. I named her Luna but more because I love f(x) than the chastity thing. XD