Epilogue

Almost Like the Real Thing

Present Day

 

“Wow,” Kyuhyun finally breathed as Ryeowook closed the last page of the packet. “No wonder I got a ‘C’ on this thing; I did a terrible job journaling.”

Ryeowook nodded in agreement.

They were still sitting on the back room floor. Had the packet not taken less than ten minutes to go through they probably would have moved.

“I cannot believe this Kyuhyun,” Ryeowook frowned. “Half of this is just you complaining about the assignment!”

“Well in all fairness, it was pretty bad assignment” Kyuhyun defended. “And what about the other half? Me praising you? Doesn’t that count for something…?”

“Yeah, yeah praising me. What is this then?” He stuck out a scribbled out page of the packet.

Kyuhyun leaned close to look at the dark writing. Vaguely, he could make out the words ‘self-righteous prick’ and ‘zero common sense.’

He shrugged, “I don’t know why you’re getting upset about that; that doesn’t even mention you. Ow!” He flinched when the paper smacked his face.

“You did a rotten job Kyuhyun, and now an entire experience is lost to us.”

Rolling his eyes, he brushed at his hair. “Oh please, is your memory weakening already? It was only ten years ago.”

“Two days from ten years? Yeah, I remember every detail,” Ryeowook huffed. He flipped open to the birth certificate. “Look. You didn’t even finish this page. Now we don’t even know what you named the doll.”

Kyuhyun frowned at the page. “I think it was Chucky, right?”

“It was not Chucky.”

“Are you sure? Because naming it after an iconic horror character: that sounds like something I would do.”

“It was girl, Kyuhyun.”

“I still could have named it Chucky.”

“But then I would have killed you.”

Alright, so he didn’t have anything to counter that.

“You know,” he said, plucking the packet from Ryeowook’s hands and flipping through it again, “say what you want about the content. I feel this captured the mood of that weekend very well.”

Ryeowook gave him a flat look. “You don’t remember anything about that weekend.”

“I remember it was awful, which this is,” Kyuhyun recalled, “And that you left you me twice.”

“I came back once!”

“Of course you did. How could you have left me twice if you didn’t come back once?”

“Alright, alright,” Ryeowook sat up on his knees and looked Kyuhyun in the eye. “You want to know what I remember?”

“What?”

“You starting a fight with a woman at a restaurant.”

Kyuhyun frowned. “Wait that was during high school? I thought that was after we got married.”

“That was another lady,” Ryeowook said, rolling his eyes.

“Hey!” Kyuhyun who saw this protested. “I don’t care what you think or thought; those people most likely deserved it!”

“Whatever,” Ryeowook shrugged. “All I know is that’s the reason we can never eat wait for food in a line without me being on edge.”

Kyuhyun shook his head. “You know what really stood out during that weekend though?”

“No.”

“It’s when you were saying that I would be a great dad and that anyone who got to raise a kid with me would be the luckiest guy on the planet, and boy did I feel so honored.”

Ryeowook scoffed, “I did not say that.”

“Not that weekend you didn’t.”

The smaller turned away, but not before Kyuhyun caught sight of the blush sneaking up his cheeks. “But you know what scarred me for life?”

“Go ahead.”

“I remember coming home after a long morning of work, and I had one of those supermarket pizzas, and when I went to bake it -”

“Whoa, wait a second-” Kyuhyun started protesting.

 “- I found the baby in the oven. Talk about your horror movie!” Ryeowook yanked the packet back and started smacking a defenseless Kyuhyun.

“Wait, okay, wait!” He cried out. But Ryeowook didn’t wait and instead kept hitting him until he was a curled up on the floor. His arms were his only protection and what a poor protection indeed.

He was saved by the bell, or in this case, the phone.

Smacking him one last time, Ryeowook tossed the packet on the floor and went to answer it.

Kyuhyun angrily pulled himself up. Sure Ryeowook couldn’t hurt him if he was swinging with a baseball bat, he was just that weak, but wasn’t his husband concerned about the paper cuts?

Eyeing the door, Kyuhyun snatched the packet off the floor. He went through it more thoroughly this time, observing the little details.

For one, his handwriting had greatly improved. He didn’t know if to attribute from being a in a hurry or being plain exhausted but every other word was partially illegible.

And then there was Ryeowook’s writing. He smiled at the “official” looking document. The birth certificate was printed sideways off the paper and half-inked off as well. But his boyfriend, now husband’s, neat handwriting looked typed across the open spaces.

 

Certificate of Birth

Date of Birth: April 10, 2014

Name of Child: ___________

Parent: Cho, Kyuhyun

Occupation: 11th grader

As witnessed by: Kim, Ryeowook

 

He stared at the final blank space.

No, he could not remember the name of the doll. If he named it at all. But he knew the name of his daughter. Or rather, the name of his would-be daughter.

Scourging out a fallen pen, Kyuhyun had just started printing the name Kim, Soli when Ryeowook came flying back into the room.

Startled from the slamming open of the door, Kyuhyun turned to ask what was wrong, but then he saw Ryeowook. Standing in the doorway, eyes glistening, and before he even said it Kyuhyun knew it were the words they’d been waiting so long to hear.

“We’re getting a baby.”

 


 

 

A cheesy ending to a fluffy story. This story wasn't so much of a story as a retelling of events. I actually used this to test out characters before putting them in a full blown story with like plot and everything. It went pretty well and I have to thank you all for your feedback. 

I'm really sorry if these past few chapters have seemed rushed. It's kind of because they were.

I'm leaving for China tomorrow and I will not be able to post anything until July 10th (?). I didn't want to leave you guys hanging for that long (I know I've missed enough deadlines already) so I had to snap these ones out quickly. This is a story I plan on revising and working on. Maybe develop a conflict or something. Thank you for sticking with this and hope you all have a nice June!