Sunday Afternoon

Almost Like the Real Thing

Kyuhyun had no idea how his little surprise kiss had turned into a full on make-out session.

But he was cool with it.

They were in the front of the car, lips and tongues in a frenzy. Their hands grabbed at bare skin. A euphoric high was making every touch burn and he couldn't get enough. Kyuhyun was of the opinion that Ryeowook should never wear shirts that covered up his collarbone. Or shirts at all really. 

Kyuhyun cupped his hands around Ryeowook’s small face and pulled him closer as if to devour him. Tilting Ryeowook’s head back, he delved deeper with his tongue. The smaller moaned, allowing him to fully explore his mouth.

Ryeowook hadn’t been kidding when he said he’d eaten his coffee. His tongue was dark and bitter, earthy in flavor. Kyuhyun could not stand the taste yet on those lips he was addicted.

Leaning over the center console, he pressed his boyfriend against the soft back of the seat. Ryeowook let out a whine which was torturous at best. 

Need growing, Kyuhyun shifted across the seats, leaning directly onto his boyfriend. The heat of their bodies was maddening. Every urge in his being wanted to rip off his clothes and touch, feel that flawless skin. Kyuhyun moved his hand under Ryeowook's shirt. The sensations increased tenfold to all he could think about was pulling it all off. 

That was when he realized, Ryeowook’s seatbelt was still on.

Grinning into the kiss, Kyuhyun decided he could help there.

With Ryeowook a mess beneath him, Kyuhyun placed the palm of his hand on Ryeowook's chest and gently pressed him back, his hand sliding down the firm front of Ryeowook’s torso. He made sure to caress every muscle and curve. The wonderful abs from last night. When he reached the upper thigh he gave it a soft squeeze before slipping over and unbuckling the belt.

Almost immediately Kyuhyun was shoved backwards. Spread back across the front seats, he had but a second to gasp before Ryeowook’s mouth started ravaging his. This time, with Wookie straddling him.

Completely ignoring the pain in his back, Kyuhyun kissed back with every bit of passion he possessed. Ryeowook’s dominance was rare and invigorating and oh, so arousing. Pressed tightly against Kyuhyun, there was no way the smaller did not notice.

His hand running across Ryeowook’s back, Kyuhyun was just about to yanking off his shirt when a loud slam startled them both.

Ryeowook broke the kiss. Panting, he looked around.

Kyuhyun blinked, the muffled sound of barking dogs and playing children clearing his mind. Lifting his head, he peered out the car window to see a small family exiting their SUV right beside them.

And that’s when Kyuhyun remembered. They were in a parking lot by Target.

Still breathing hard, Ryeowook pushed off of him and righted himself in the driver’s seat. Kyuhyun did the same. The family just outside the car chattered on. 

Running a hand through his locks, Kyuhyun attempted to right his now mussed up hair. Ryeowook sat exhaling deeply while looking at the car window. Neither one made eye contact. Heart pounding, Kyuhyun kept his eyes focused on out the windshield, waiting for the family to leave. With their several kids it took a good couple minutes, but soon their chatter faded and they were out of sight.

The tension noticeably lightened. 

Kyuhyun turned to look at the male beside him. His eyes met the other’s and their teasing glint. He smiled.

“Want to do it again?”

“Of course,” Kyuhyun replied.

So they went right back to it.

 


 

“Your shirt’s all crooked,” Ryeowook complained.

Kyuhyun smirked, “Yeah, and whose fault is that?”

“Shut up,” Ryeowook looked away, blushing.

Tugging at his v-neck, Kyuhyun managed to get it back in the right position before they entered the store.

The automatic doors slid open to fluorescent lighting and neatly stocked shelves. Breathing in the stale, retail-scented air, Kyuhyun followed Ryeowook to the grocery carts.

One on arm he had the baby in its carrier. In the other, he had the baby packet. In his pocket, he had the Target gift card. There wasn’t much on it, but thankfully the shopping assignment did not require him to buy anything; just list the prices.

Thanking a worker for pulling him a cart, Ryeowook motioned for Kyuhyun to set to baby in the child’s seat.

Kyuhyun scowled, thinking he had hauled the car seat over for nothing. Setting the carrier on the ground, he began to unbuckle the seat belt.

“Kyu, what are you doing?”

He looked up at Ryeowook.

“Getting the baby out. Doesn’t it sit in grocery cart?” he frowned.

Ryeowook chuckled, “Yes, but these aren’t infant seats so it wouldn’t be safe. Here.” He walked over and re-buckled all the straps. Lifting it by the handle, Ryeowook heaved the car seat up and onto the child’s seat. “That’s how you do it,” Ryeowook chirped.

Kyuhyun stared at the baby, now precariously balanced on the front edge of the grocery cart, and wondered how on earth that was any safer.

Regardless, they pushed the cart farther into the store. Passing the displays of cheap crap nobody wanted, Ryeowook started formulating a plan for thier shopping.

“All the fruits and veggies are up front so we can get those together. And so are the dairy products. That's perfect because your mom wanted a lot of dairy products. That's the great part about Target is that all the food is crowded together so you’re not tempted to but everything in between. Oh look, bananas!”

He held one up for Kyuhyun to see. Kyuhyun attempted something a like a half-smile, half-sneer at the fruit. Ryeowook sighed, dropping it back in the pile.

“Anyways, your mom also wants some new cleaning supplies which are straight down the back-”

“Where’s the baby stuff?”

“Opposite corner of the store.”

Of course they were.

“Now since the cleaning supplies and baby supplies are on opposite ends of the store so it will be more efficient if we split up. I’ll get the wristbands since the office supplies are in that area.”

“Get the bright green ones, okay - wait, what? We’re splitting up?” Kyuhyun panicked momentarily.

“It’s just for a little while,” Ryeowook reassured, “Besides, I’m sure you’re perfectly capable of writing down prices of items on a list.”

“But-”

“The baby will be fine.”

“Yeah, but-”

“No buts. Broccoli,” Ryeowook then turned to the vegetable display, and Kyuhyun knew he had lost.

They spent the next half-hour picking out food. The vegetables were easy to choose. Well, comparatively easy. As long as the produce seemed fresh Ryeowook would put in the cart. And thanks to automatic watering and hormonal coloring, everything looked fresh. Kyuhyun still wouldn’t take the bananas.

If you were only shopping for fruits, you’d think shopping with Ryeowook was easy. Of course, you would be wrong.

The dairy and canned foods were a nightmare. Why? They had nutrition labels. Even on such little sleep Ryeowook was still a obsessed with them. For Kyuhyun, smart shopping meant grabbing the cheapest thing on the lowest shelf, but to Ryeowook it meant buying the healthiest deal available. Carbs versus sugar versus fat; percentages of each individual serving. And who could forget the price per calorie?

Kyuhyun could have cried when he started comparing cheeses based on hole size.

“Does Swiss cheese naturally have holes this big?” Ryeowook asked, holding out the block, “Because I don’t think these eyes are regulation size.”

Kyuhyun looked at the block dented from air bubbles. He opened his mouth, about to speak, but then he realized he didn’t care.

“Ah, look, Wookie,” he said, straightening himself up, “Since I’m not being a real help here-”

“Nonsense, Kyu; this food is for you!” Ryeowook piped.

Trying not to roll his eyes at the outdated use of the word ‘nonsense,’ Kyuhyun gave his most sincere smile. “I guess so, but I trust you to pick out the foods I like. So, how about we split up now that way we’ll have more time to get lunch?”

Ryeowook bit his lip, placing the Swiss cheese back in its stack. “Okay… but you have to be promise to be okay with whatever brands I pick out.”

“Sure!” Kyuhyun chirped, unable to care less about which brand he was eating. “Just don’t run over fifty dollars!”

“Good,” Ryeowook smiled. “Now take the baby and go.”

Kyuhyun grabbed the baby car seat.

“And don’t forget her supplies.”

Kyuhyun grabbed the baby bag.

“And make sure you’re getting quality items.”

Kyuhyun nodded, backing away.

“And if anyone asks you anything about the baby the first you tell them is that it is fake. I do not want a repeat of yesterday!” Ryeowook yelled as his boyfriend sprinted out of the produce section.

When he disappeared into the aisles, Ryeowook sighed and shook his head.

“Such a dork,” he said. Then he went to get his bananas.


 

 

Kyuhyun was lost.

He didn’t realize you could get lost in a department store. At least if you were above the age of five.

He was quite the exception today. Sleeping through screaming babies, getting lost in a freaking Target. Yes, he was incomparable.

“Excuse me,” he approached a red vested worker, “Could you point me to where the baby supplies are?”

“Uh, yeah. Back there, to the right.”

“Thanks.”

Kyuhyun heaved the seat handle onto his shoulder and went in the direction given. He noticed the worker had done a double take on his fake baby. Probably why the guy had run into the woman behind him.

Letting the handle fall to the crook of his elbow, Kyuhyun just kept on walking.

Honestly, he quite liked department stores. The wide open aisles, the neatly displayed items. He especially loved to look at the random gadgets no one should be stupid enough to buy. If the baby carrier weren't so big and heavy he'd have been really be enjoying himself.

The first sign of approaching babyland was the shrinking of the cloth on the racks. From teen, to toddler, to infant. Kyuhyun was thinking how it was practically doll sized when he looked at his baby and remembered that it was a doll. They really needed to make those things blink.

Finally, he reached the newborn section. Pulling out the packet with the assignment, Kyuhyun glanced over the directions.

 

How much do babies cost?

Visit your local store and record the costs of items listed. Please note: some of these items are onetime expenses while others, like food and diapers, are monthly costs. Items like clothing increase in cost as the baby grows.

 

Simple enough.

The first thing on the list was “Clothing (15 outfits).” Kyuhyun scoffed. As if anyone needed 15 outfits. Well, maybe some of the girls at his school but certainly not a baby unrestrained by fashion.

Setting the baby down, he picked off a white cotton shirt from the rack.

Almost immediatly, he dropped it like a box with a lizard. “Ten dollars!?” He cried. There was no way that thing cost ten dollars! Several people turned to look at him, and Kyuhyun quickly shut his mouth. That didn’t stop his outrage from boiling.

Ten dollars!? The t-shirt he was wearing cost ten dollars. Just what kind of unicorn hair was this made out of?

Slapping that shirt back on the rack, Kyuhyun tried to find something cheaper. Nothing was cheaper. Everything either cost more or the same as the clothes he currently owned, which was dumb because a baby out grew their stuff in like a week. Those big companies really knew how to milk for cash.

Eventually, he had to relent. The white shirt was the cheapest deal.

It actually hurt to mark 150 dollars for baby clothes.

The rest of the items fared no better. 20 dollars for pacifiers, 30 dollars for bottles; when it hit 70 dollars for toys Kyuhyun just decided his children could play with bubble wrap.

"Because daddy is not buying a 12 dollar rattle," he muttered to himself.

Easily the most heart attack inducing item was tformula. At $25 dollars a can, three cans a month, this stuff was no joke. It was especially off-putting to Kyuhyun since his kids would have to use that stuff from birth. No feeding from him.

Kyuhyun was gaping at the $700 car seat when the lady approached him.

“Excuse me?”

He jumped back. The lady held up her hands. “Sorry,” she said, “didn’t mean to scare you. I was just wondering if you needed help finding something.” The woman was slightly middle-aged, brown hair, thick glasses; she also had on a worker’s vest which meant a good sign to Kyuhyun. He couldn't find any of the larger items on his list. 

Suddenly, Kyuhyun realized he’d been staring. “Um, yes,” he coughed. He gestured to the car seats. “Do you happen to have one of these that are, er, less expensive?”

“Oh, of course.” The lady smiled at him. It must have seemed odd to the woman that he was shopping for car seat while carrying around a car seat, because she squinted to look at the carrier. “Is that your baby?” she asked pointing to his doll.

He should tell her the baby is fake. “Yep, she’s mine.” Stupid mouth.

“Oh, how cute!” the woman chirped, bending down to see it.

Briefly, Kyuhyun wondered if the lady was half-blind. She was seriously a foot away from the doll and showed no signs of realizing that it was a doll. Instead of correcting her though, Kyuhyun decided to see how long this would go.

“She is absolutely adorable! What’s her name?”

Kyuhyun stared at her. Quick, quick, think fast. “Oh, um, uh," Faster, idiot! "M-money -- Mona. I meant Mona. Her name is Mona,” he affirmed.

“That’s so pretty,” the lady cooed, tugging the blanket on the doll.

Seriously, what was wrong with this woman?

“My daughter had one of these too. Her name was Devi. Health class, right?”

Oh. That made more sense.

“Yeah,” Kyuhyun said, relieved that he was not talking to a crazy person. “It’s a required project.”

The lady nodded, “Yes, of course. And you’re doing the cost calculator, correct?”

Kyuhyun nodded.

“Well, since these dolls are newborns, you don’t want to go with these giants here.” She motioned towards the 700 dollar seats. “What you want is on the other side with the strollers. Those are about 120, 130 dollars each. Oh, and the cribs are waaay at the end over there. Sorry, you may not have noticed them. It’s about 300 dollars but it includes a mattress pad.”

“Oh, um, wow, thank you,” Kyuhyun blinked.

“Anything to help,” the lady beamed. “Honestly, when my daughter did this she got so many stares it was unnerving. Only one person ever offered to help her,” she sighed shaking her head. “Well anyways,” she said perking up again, “You need anything else?”

“Um, no. I think I’m good.”

“Great. Well good luck with Mona,” The woman gave him one more kind smile before leaving to help another customer.

Kyuhyun stared after her, still not quite sure of what’d happened.

He shook himself out of it. It hardly mattered what’d happened; all he needed to remember was that that was significantly better than his last encounter. And that that woman was nice.

Scribbling down the last few numbers, Kyuhyun started adding up the costs.

When Ryeowook found him later, Kyuhyun was digging through the clearance bin while swearing to forever shop at thrift stores.

 

***

 

Describe what you have learned from this activity. What surprised you the most? Would you be able to pay for a baby if you had one now?

I’m surprised full grown adults can pay for this stuff. No wonder birthrates drop in developed countries. Babies are a burden! These department stores charge top dollar for the simplest things because they know that you need it. You have to pay 25 bucks for one can of formula because what can you do? Let your baby starve? It’s insane! Same goes for all the other items (except baby food because people can make that by themselves now – two dollars a jar; woohoo!).

And that’s another thing: babies need a lot of stuff. That shopping list was ridiculously long. I totaled over a thousand dollars and not one item cost less than twenty dollars. Although I feel you did that one on purpose. Do we really need three bottles?

I think the most surprising occurrence was the saleslady who was nice to. Most of the workers were side-eyeing me terribly or trying to figure out if the baby was real. So what if it was and so what if it wasn’t? Just be like the saleslady and help me out.

But I digress, babies cost a lot. People should shop second-hand. 

 


 

 

A short make-out scene for the people who have been requesting one, because I have been granted fifty comments and that makes me happy. =)
 

Also, babies cost so much. I know people say that a lot but it doesn't really register until you realize you have to spend a couple hundred each month on food, diapers, and clothing for several years. *shivers* Not a pleasant realization.