(II) Who is Kim Myungsoo?

Body Swap

Kim Myungsoo. Just the name itself irks me.

I looked at Sunggyu who was still side-eyeing me…I think…I can’t quite tell with eyes that small. But the silence was a sure indication that he was expecting me to continue with the explanation.

“I just can’t stand him okay? He’s born with a silver spoon in his mouth and all he needs to do is ask daddy for some money or golden opportunity and everything goes his way. Even my boyfriend! Sungjong was the love of my life and we were perfect together until Mr. Oh-I’m-so-gorgeous-and-rich came and snatched him from me.”

I was panting heavily by now as the mere thought of my mortal enemy angered me. Sunggyu shot me his signature glare before ordering me.

“You calm down now and when you’ve managed to stop acting so childishly, you come and join me at that VIP table where Mr Kim is.”

“Mr Kim? As in Mr Kim Jongsoo? Owner of the Kim Industries? Also known as Mr Kim Myungsoo’s father?” I questioned Sunggyu as I had my face scrunched up in confusion.

“Yes, that’s him. So when you’ve decided you are able to compose yourself and talk to him professionally about the new campaign he would like to involve you in, come and join us.”

“Why doesn’t he just get that spoilt brat to-“

“Join me when you’re ready,” Sunggyu cut me off before turning on his heels and heading towards his destination in a brisk manner.

I clenched my fist tight as I tried to control my nerves. I really hated Myungsoo to the core. He was the definition of every girl’s “dream guy”. Born as the heir to the Kim Industries, well second to the throne anyway since he had an older brother Kim Jongwoon as the current successor, he has only enjoyed the finer side of life since birth. Wealthy kids like these are born into a happy family with a loving father and mother, and an elder sibling or two. In his case, he had a similarly perfect older brother; blessed also with intelligence and good looks. Jongwoon was the ideal successor to take over the company and was already holding a high position in the Kim Industries, gaining the respect of all employees and shareholders. This left Myungsoo as the spoilt younger child, chasing after his dreams with the monetary and emotional support from his parents and brother.

I couldn’t deny however that Myungsoo was indeed a good entertainer and definitely a prized jewel in the entertainment industry. He wasn’t just gifted with natural good looks; he knew how to use it to his advantage, effectively backing his looks up with excellent acting skills which allowed him to soar in his acting career. His ambitious nature did not allow him to stop there as he explored the performing arts. I believe the musical culture was inculcated from young as took up various expensive musical lessons; learning to play the piano and guitar just to name a few.

What got to me the most however was the fake stance he put up in front of the public media. Underneath all that beauty and talent lay a less than perfect person. He frequently did charity on television and personally associated himself with a chain of orphanages in Korea. He paid a visit to these orphans often, bringing them toys and food. But I knew all this was just a façade, all his care and concern for the kids and fake understanding of their plight was all memorized from a script. He certainly was a good actor indeed. How could someone who never suffered in their life understand the pain behind having lost your parents, the despair of not having anyone in your life, being in the not knowing of what the future awaits you? All Myungsoo could do was visit them like what? Once a month? Giving them short-termed happiness but when you ask him if he could adopt you it would a big fat no. Charity workers we call them, people who come and go in our lives. As for the other orphans who called themselves your friends and that they would never leave you behind, those words are instantly flung out of the window when a family comes knocking to bring them home. That’s it, after years of going through the thick and thin together, a quick goodbye to friendship and they’re out of your life. Even Sungjong, who claimed to love me and vowed to spend the rest of his life with me left for someone better, someone richer, someone better looking, someone more perfect. At the end of the day you’ve only got yourself to count on.

I used my finger to wipe the single drop of tear that fell due to the overwhelming emotions and took a deep breath. I had gone too far in my life to let some pretty boy mess it up now.

I put on my dazzling smile with eyes wide and bright, and walked with my head held up high towards my destination; taking my next big step along my career path.