Gum

Chasing The Stars

 

YPOV

"Okay class, today, we are starting a new project." Exclamied Mrs. Yang. "I will be assigning partners, so don't get too excited. The list will be posted after class."

I blew a raspberry and sighed to myself. I hated having to work with people, especially if I was the new kid. No one likes being with the new kid. It was hard for me to make friends too. Science is going to be a long class.

The jerk who I bumped into came back to class and lazily slumped down in his seat. I glanced at him and he was staring right back at me. Quickly, I looked away and tried to control my breathing. Dang, he was pretty hot.

I just realized that I don't know his name. But now, I really wanted to know.

For the rest of the time, he wasn't just staring at me. He was glaring. The whole freaking time! What the heck did I do? It's not like I slapped him across the face or anything. Jeez.

After Mrs. Yang dismissed our class, everyone ran up to the board to find out who they were partnered up with. I actually felt excited, but nervous at the same time. Maybe my partner wouldn't be so bad. Hopefully she would be my first friend here. And with a smile, I looked at whose name was next to mine. The smile quickly left my face. It was a guy. Kim Myung Soo 

I didn't know any Kim Myung Soo's. Maybe he's nice, hopefully he's nice. But the thing is. I cannot act normally around guys. Like, I will just stand there, staring at him with my mouth open, not knowing what to say. I used to be able to talk to boys without acting like a dork, but something happened that changed me.

It all started back when I tried to confess to my first crush back in junior high. It was in the cafeteria and he had rejected me in front of all his friends. With a heavy heart, I walked away and slipped and fell in front of everyone. But to make it worse, my pants had split right down the middle. Everyone was there, just laughing when I got up and tried to hide the opening. Just thinking about it makes me embarressed and turn red.

I found my way to the door and went out, only to meet a pair of eyes looking back at me. "So, this is my partner?" He snickered. Oh, so this is Kim Myung Soo. You have got to be kidding me. He already hates me! I tried to pass him and he so happened to bump me into the wall and I fell.

"Aish!" I hissed rubbing my shoulder and looked at him with the coldest stare I could give. There were people all around me laughing.

This reminded me of what happened in junior high. I slightly panicked and tried getting up, but my legs wouldn't stand straight, as if it were made of jelly. I fell back down and felt my face heat up. I just sat there, feeling my eyes well up with tears when a pair of hands from behind lifted me up from my arms. I turned around and it was Dae Hyun.

"Ya, why did you push her down? Don't you have any respect?" Said Dae to him. He securely wrapped his arm around my waist and supported me incase I fell.

"Mind your own business." He replied, glaring at both of us.

Now there were a bunch of people crowded around and trying to get a glimpse at what was happening.

"She is my business." And with that, Dae dragged me along with him, leaving that jerk by himself in the crowd.

Dae Hyun's POV

I couldn't believe that she was here, with me, at this school. It feels like one of those Korean dramas where the two main characters meet up again at the end and fall in love.

I was walking down the hallway to Min's class to pick her up. There were a bunch of people there and as I tried to make my way through, I saw her.

She was on the ground in front of that Kim Myung Soo. Gosh I hated him. He was so full of himself and thought the world revolved around him. Who can be that conceited? She tried getting up, but couldn't and everywhere, there was laughter.

Myung Soo just smirked and looked at her, not bothering to help. 

I couldn't stand seeing her so weak, especially when I saw her eyes getting red with tears.

The next thing I knew, I was at her side helping her up to her feet, with my arm around her incase she fell.

After I said what I wanted to say to Myung Soo, I took Min to the recording studio.

"I'm sorry." Min said, looking down when I had closed the door. I hated seeing her so defenseless. "No, it isn't your fault. That Kim Myung Soo is just a jerk. At least you aren't hurt." I replied, looking at her with meaningful eyes.

"That Kim Myung Soo.. Is he always like that. I mean, being rude and cold." She asked, curiously. "Well, not always. I mean, he's usually quiet, like all the time and never talks to anyone. Well, except for you and Infinite. But he isn't that good of a guy, trust me." I replied.

I didn't want for her to start having an interest in Myung Soo. That punk already had enough girls trailing after him, I didn't want to see Min become one of them. I just.. want her to stay by my side forever.

Narrator

Min and Dae were sitting on the piano bench when Dae broke the silence.

"Would you like to hear me play?" He asked. Min's eyes lit up and nodded her head a few times. She loved the sound of pianos. It was so calm and soothing.

Dae chuckled and turned, facing the piano keys. Slowly, his fingers began playing what sounded like Yirma's Kiss The Rain and eventually turned into Michael Wong's Fairy Tale.

The sound was nothing like Min had heard before. She was stunned at how beautiful the two songs sounded like. Dae slowly got into the melody and flowed along with the music.

Min took a couple glances towards him and she smiled. Dae was definitely the most amazing person she has ever met. He's just so perfect, which humans shouldn't be. She admired him for always being there for her even if he was busy and always knowing the right timing when she is feeling down. 

Eventually, the piano piece ended and there Min rested her head on Dae's comforting shoulder. He smiled and laid his head on top of hers. Ever since that day when she spilled her lunch on him, he couldn't get her out of his head. Even those years when they were apart, not once did Min leave his thoughts.

With the sunlight streaming into the studio, they sat there, sleeping and enjoyed the peace while it lasted.

Myung Soo's POV

"Myung Soo, come back home tonight, okay? You can just sleep in the guest room." Appa said. I didn't want to go home. I liked being in control of my own self and not having to please everyone else's needs and wants.

"Dad, I'll just stay out for another week or so. Stop worrying." I replied, with an edge to my voice hoping he didn't notice. He noticed. "Son, you come home right this minute or I'll cut all your credit cards! You can also say bye to your mercedes too." He yelled and hung up.

"Hey, L where are you going? Aren't you staying?" Asked Sung Yeol, as he bounced around in front of me. "Move." I growled and went out the door. I clenched my fists and huffed as I walked home.

When I walked inside, I heard laughter and a lot of talking. Without making any eyes contact, I made my way upstairs to my room. "Myun-" Mom started, but stopped when I kept on walking away from her.

I slumped onto my bed as soon as I got in my room. Immediatly, I grabbed my bamboo pillow and cuddled with it. It seemed like the only thing that'll comfort me at the moment.

There were so many things bothering me today. First was my dad with wanting me to be the image of a perfect business son. I wished he would just see how perfectly happy I am right now.

And my other problem..

I couldn't get this girl out of my head. She was just so annoying. It's like I'm being stuck with her everywhere I go. She's like a piece of gum I got stuck on the bottom of my shoe and can't get off. Ugh, I sighed, and slammed back down onto my bed.

Whatever, I thought as I got up, I'll just forget everything. I trudged towards the bathroom in my room and slammed the door.

I felt refreshed after taking a shower. It felt like the water washed away all my problems and everything was as good as new. Sighing, I wrapped a towel around my waist and went out to get changed.

There was a scream.

I turned around and saw that annoying girl.

That annoying girl was standing in my bedroom.

That annoying girl was Park Min Hee.