He'll Come Back

Chasing The Stars

 

As I say nervously under the beaming bright lights of the waiting room, my phone beeped loudly from my pocket, startling the woman across from me to life.

"Shh!"

"I'm sorry." I whispered back and pulled out my phone. The message had been sent from Myungsoo: I cannot believe what you're doing Min. I'm on a plane right now. Do not do anything until I get back. Please.

A plumpy nurse came from behind the swinging double doors with a smile and a shiny red clipboard in hand. "We're ready for you."

I unsteadily stood up and followed after the nurse with my hands shaking at my sides. I absolutely hated the sight of blood and wanted to hurry it up with the testing.

First came the blood test to confirm I was a type AB. There was a small pinch, like a spider bite, on the inside of my forearm. I adverted my eyes as soon as I saw the red liquid rush up into the small tube.

"Almost done." The nurse smiled after seeing my panicked expression. And before I could respond, the needle was out, in the trash can and its spot quickly replaced with a cloth-like bandage and a spongy wrapper. "This should be able to tell us all we need to know." She gave a gentle flick to the side of the tube before placing it in its holder. "There," She took off her rubber gloves and helped me up. "We are all done. Are you alright, sweetie? You're starting to look a bit pale."

"Yeah, I'm just-." I tried getting up, but all the energy in my legs were gone and I fell back down with a dull thud.

"Here." She offered me a hand and led me to the swinging doors and out the waiting room. "I'm taking you to your room."

"I-I have a room?" My vision began blurring as my balance all of a sudden lost itself.

The nurse began to walked faster and was basically dragging me along. "I think you're about to faint."

"Yeah." I mumbled before my vision blackened and my head smacked against something hard.

The last thing I remember was the loud, annoying ring of my phone.

 

My head felt light and woozy as I twisted and turned restlessly on top of a soft, but hard mattress. A thin blanket laid over my stomach and legs as a breath left my lips. It took me a while to realize I had said Myungsoo's name.

"Min.." A voice was heard next to me, sounding as if that person's mouth was lingering right beside my ear. With that thought, I jolted awake to a familiar face hovering over my own. "Whoa!" He flinched backwards just as my head was about to collide with his.

"Myungsoo?" I said, almost breathlessly.

"Yeah?" He drew his head nearer with a worried expression.

"Am I dreaming? Please tell me I'm not."

He gently slid his hand over mine and held onto it tightly. "You aren't dreaming because I'm right here."

"That's why it feels like a dream." I unexpectedly blurted out and then began pinching my arm.

Myungsoo's hands overtook my own with a firm, but soft grasp. "Don't hurt yourself. I'm here now and I'm here with you."

"Then why aren't you yelling at me?" I whispered and let my whole body relax under Myungsoo's gaze. "I thought you would have by now."

He opened his mouth to speak but closed it again and hesitated before sighing. "Why would I yell at the person who's donating their own kidney to save my father?"

"Because it's me."

After a few moments of silence, Myungsoo pulled me forward into an awkward hug. His body was half-sitting and half-laying over the bed as he took a deep breath of my scent. My hands were limp by my sides, confused on what to do.

Should I hug him back or should I not? Where are my hand suppose to go? Neck or back? Or should I just stay put and wait until he's done? Do I smell bad?

As if he knew what I was thinking, he drew back and placed his forehead against mine. With a chuckle he said, "The least you could do is hug me back. Don't you miss me?" His breath created small breezes against my face, quivering all the tiny absurd strands of hair that stuck to my face. Seeming as if he had read my thoughts again, he placed his palms on my cheeks and matted away the loose strands. "Close you eyes."

My heartbeat began to quicken, the sound of blood throbbing through my veins at a more than normal pace. "W-why?"

"Because I want to see something." After hearing me mutter the word "ert", he responded with a grin, "Not like that."

I closed my eyes with a laugh and immediately felt his whole self creep closer and closer. "Myungsoo." I warned when I felt his nose touching mine. Every inch of my body was now pulsing with electricity and temptation. "Yah-." His breath warmed up against my lips as his mouth barely brushed over mine. I turned my head away quickly before he could see how red and sweaty I was.

Myungsoo lowered his head to try and find my eyes. "I found what I was looking for." When I didn't respond, he poked my arm, sending an current of electricity through my body. He repeated, "I found it." I answered back with my eyes instead of speaking. "I found your heartbeat."

I felt my lips quiver in nervousness. "W-what are you talking about?"

A shy smile appeared on his face. "You like me, don't you?" He bit his bottom lip with eager eyes as he waited.

"My heartbeat..." I said quietly and pressed a hand to where my heart was.

"Feels like mine." He said and pulled my hand to his chest. "It feels the same." Under my hand, I felt the thudding of his own heart; it matched how mine sounded. His hand slid from my arm to my cheek. With an excited expression he said, "You like me."

"Myungsoo..."

"I knew it." He smiled his always bright smile that left me breathless and speechless. "I knew it."

I narrowed my eyes, not knowing what exactly to do or what to say next. Before I had a clue, the door knob jiggle opened and in came Hyo.

"Min! You're awake!" She ran over and bounced on the other side of my bed. Her eyes traveled over to Myungsoo sitting closely at my side. "You told him," She grinned. "Didn't you?"

"Told me what?" Myungsoo perked up and narrowed his eyes at me. "Min?"

"No, I didn't." I grumbled to Hyo and slightly shook my head in a way that Myungsoo wouldn't notice.

Myungsoo nudged my thigh with his knee. "What?" He pouted his lips in thought. "You aren't pregnant, are you?"

"Yah!" I scoffed and slapped his arm. "Are you crazy?"

"Maybe." He chuckled and leaned in to touch his nose to my cheek.

"Wah..." Hyo gawked at us with unbelieving eyes and then mumbled, "At least do it in private."

"Aish." I half-heartedly pushed him away, but luckily, he only stayed nearer. "Go."

"Don't want to." He frowned with a childish-like expression. To Hyo, he laughed and said, "You can go. Let me stay with Min until she has to go for surgery."

"I'm getting surgery?" I asked in bewilderment. "Did they finish the tests?"

"Yep." Hyo answered as she slowly headed for the door. "Your surgery is scheduled for tonight. In the meantime," Now she was almost out of the door with only her head peaking in. "I'm going to go check up on dad. Myungsoo, you just...stay here."

"Will do." He saluted to her as a goodbye.

"Wait!" I yelled, but the door noisily drowned out my voice.

"You don't want to be alone with me?" He asked after seeing my distressed expression.

"Nope." I pressed my lips together as his eyes trailed around my face. "Not at all."

He stretched across the bed next to be with a yawn. "Too bad then. I'm not leaving here until you do."

"But..what if I have to go to the bathroom?"

"Then I will follow you."

"Tsk." I rolled my eyes and gathered up the blanket.

"Don't leave." His voice was almost pleading.

I pointed at him and then the bed. "Then get off. Please."

Instantly, he rolled off and kneeled on the floor by the edge of the bed. "Done."

I scoffed to myself and plopped back on the bed with a dull thud. "I'm so tired."

He stared at me for longer than necessary before commenting. "You just slept. For four hours straight. How-?"

My glared at him before softening my gaze. "When is my surgery?"

"In three hours." He bit his lip. "That's why I want to stay here until you have to go." I rose my eyebrows at his words. "I'll miss you."

I suddenly felt disappointment race through my body. With looking at him I said, "Don't say words that you won't mean later on. Because you don't know how much they mean to me."

"Min.." Myungsoo said slowly, stretching out each syllable. "I mean everything I say. Everything up till this moment." He climbed back on the bed near the empty area at my knee.

"Everything?"

"Everything."

With a small smile I asked, "Even when you said that you loved me?

I saw his eyes increase to sizes of golf balls until he looked away with a hint of embarrassment and shyness. "Yes. Even then." Now it was me to be stunned. I really hadn't expected for him to be so honest about it. He met his eyes with mine and saw my eyebrows stuck together, creating a straight line right down the middle. "If you do this, you'll end up with wrinkles." He gently pressed a finger in between my eyebrows and grinned in satisfaction when they relaxed.

"You really care for me." I suddenly said. "Don't you?"

He relieved sigh escaped his lips as he noticed how my facial expression changed immediately at the my own voice saying those words. Because the idea hit me that Myungsoo really, really this whole time cared for me. With everything, through everything, he's always been there no matter what.

"But how come you hated me in the beginning?"

"Because you were different." He answered right after as if he had already thought this through with himself. "Because you were you." His voice saying those words made me smile. It brought a cheery, fluttering feeling inside my stomach that welled up into something bigger, something more special. "But you hated me also."

I gave this a minute to think about and then with a grim smile I said, "Because you knocked over my drink."

He paused. "Your drink? I don't..."

"At that fast food restaurant. You knocked into me." I explained, using gestures with my hands. "And spilled my drink. I had to buy another one because of you."

"And that made you like me?"

"That made me hate you." I wrinkled my nose at the memory. "You made me like you."

He stifled a laugh. "Me? The cold-hearted, arrogant Myungsoo?"

"Yes. Exactly that." I let out a laugh and then shook my head. "You know, you've changed. A lot since then."

He winked. "And it's all because of you."

A doctor then came in with two other nurses behind him. On his name tag read: Dr. Tae. "Hello, Minhee. I'm Doctor Tae, your surgeon." His voice sounded all deep and professional as he continued. "I came by to see if you would so happen to have any questions, comments, or concerns regarding to your surgery. If you do, I'd like to address them now, so there be not any confusions later on."

"O-oh." I stumbled over my words and tried my best to think of a good question, but none came to mind except, "When is the surgery?"

"In exactly two hours from now." He said. I glanced over to the ticking clock that read five o'clock. "Anymore?"

"I don't-."

"Will she be fine after the surgery? Does it hurt? Will it hurt her? How long is the recovery going to take? Can she go back to school the next day?" Myungsoo fired questions at Dr. Tae like there was no tomorrow and stared in hope of getting all his questions answered.

Not even flustered, Dr. Tae replied with an even tone. "I can assure you she will be just fine afterwards. During the process, she will be under anesthesia, so it will not hurt her in any way. The recovery period is usually around one month. And no, she can't return to school until two weeks are over and she is feeling stable enough."

"Min.." Myungsoo groaned and placed his arms around me. "You can't come to school for two whole weeks. What am I going to do without you?"

I lightly struggled under his weight. "You'll be fine. I'll still be home with you."

Dr. Tae cleared his throat to gain back our attention. "Are there any more questions?"

"N-no." I lifted my head up with a kind smile. "Thank you."

"Then, these two nurses will be assisting you to your new room. In there, you'll be dressing into the proper attire and receiving instructions on what you should do before the process and expect." With a small bow, he turned and exited the room.

The nurse carrying a clipboard wrote something down onto a piece of paper and rose her head in response as Dr. Tae left. "I'm Nurse Ryu and this is Nurse Nam. We'll be the two assisting you. Now let's get to your new room." She tucked the clipboard under her arm and held the door open. "Shall we?"

 

The new room had a beautiful view of the small garden from down below. Little people roamed the area, looking like a bunch of tiny ants in a maze.

I backed away from the window to Myungsoo, who was too busy playing around withe the remote control bed to notice my presence. He laid on his stomach and was slowly rising, then falling, leaning forward and backwards with each press of a button.

"Myungsoo," I slapped the small of his back, which shot him upwards right away. "Stop playing around."

He laughed and with little effort, sat up on his knees to match my height. "I'm going to miss you." His hands reached for me before I moved to avoid him.

"I'm only going to be gone for at least three hours."

"Three hours!" He cried and fell back onto the bed. I climbed on next to him and rest my feet under his back. His hair flopped to one side as he looked at me in a pondering way. "Won't you miss me too?"

"I'll be asleep." I pointed out.

"Then will you dream about me?" He smirked and wiggled closer. "That'll be nicer."

"Sometimes." I mumbled while playing around with the remote.

His head perked up right away. "W-what did you say?"

"Huh?" Before I could look up, the bed flew up under me, sending me into Myungsoo. I laid there stiff on top of him, not comprehending what had just happened.

"If you wanted to hug," He embraced me in his arms. "You could've just said so."

"No, wait." I tried to struggle myself free from him. "Myungsoo!"

His small chuckle vibrated my neck as he nuzzled there. "Min."

"W-what?" My breathing suddenly became more ragged and heavy as I felt him breath under me.

"Tch." He began to mimic my heartbeat on my back with his hand. Thump...th-thump..thump..th-thump..th-thump... "Are you nervous?"

"For what?" I tried evening my voice out the best I could without him noticing.

"Or are you scared."

"Of you?" I scoffed.

"Of me." He nodded.

"No."

"Really?" He inclined his face closer until his breaths reached my mouth. "Are you sure?"

"Y-yeah." I spoke as his hands slid down to my hips and rested there.

"Mm." He blinked and stared back into my eyes as if he could see, read, and hear every thought, past memory, and feelings I had.

There was a knock on the door. "Can I come in? It's Daehyun!" He sang with a cherry voice.

"Yah!" I whispered to Myungsoo and pushed off his chest, but he only pulled me closer. "Let go!" To the door I said, "Just a second!"

"Let him see us." Myungsoo laughed softly. "Then he'll know you're mine."

I was finally able to get away and off the bed. As soon as i was away, I began cursing at Myungsoo and the feelings he gave me that I had wanted to badly.

I opened the door to see a big bouquet of flowers in my way. I moved it slightly and saw a smiling Daehyun behind it. "Hey."

"How are you feeing?" He came forward and felt my forehead. "I heard you fainted."

"She did." Myungsoo came and leaned behind me against the wall, so close I could smell him, vanilla and honey as usual.

Daehyun made a side glance at Myungsoo. "You're here?"

"Yup." Myungsoo rose an eyebrow at the bundle of flowers. "Who is that for? Me?"

"Min." Daehyun replied casually as if he didn't notice the sarcasm in Myungsoo's voice. He entered the room with a smug smile as he settled the flowers into a vase that had already been placed on the desk.

"And what exactly is it for?" Myungsoo took a sniff of the flowers and then sneezed afterwards. "Eck." I laughed at his scrunched up face as he mocked to take a hit at the flowers.

"To be a good friend." Daehyun turned to look at me. "That's what being a good friend is about, right?" I nodded my head in response and saw him take a very deep breath in before letting it out.

Myungsoo tapped a finger on the desk impatiently as he waited for us to finish. "Then are you done? Because.." He s an arm around my waist and held me tightly.

Daehyun obviously noticed and adverted his eyes away. "I could go." To me he said, "If you wanted me to."

"No," I shook away from Myungsoo and reached for my phone. "Now I'm going to call Hyo and the others. You all are going to spend the last few hours with me."

Daehyun shook his head nervously and rapidly. "It's fine, really. I have piano lessons later anyways and-."

"Please." I held onto his hand and gave it a small squeeze. "you probably won't be seeing me for a while. Can't you at least stay?"

He took a glance at Myungsoo until I forced him to look at me. With a deprived sigh he answered, "I don't know."

"Myungsoo, you want him to stay too, right?" I bumped him with my elbow, but he didn't even budge. That made me angry. Myungsoo knew how much of a friend Daehyun was to me, but he didn't even seem to care that I was upset right then. "Myung-."

"He can stay if it'll make you happy. I'm going to visit dad." The expression in his face was pained as his eyes trailed to my hand over Daehyun's. Before he could move an inch, I also took hold of his hand.

"Don't leave." I almost begged. "I want you to stay." To Daehyun I said, "And I want you to stay too." It didn't seem fair for me to be acting this way, but I couldn't bare to be without either of them.

"Choose." Daehyun said after a long moment of silence. "Choose who you want because obviously," He stared daggers at Myungsoo. "You can't have both." And then he hugged me so tightly, it took everything in me to take just one breath. "I'll come back later." He whispered closely in my ear as if it was our little secret and then proceeded for the door, closing it with a slam behind him.

 

"Pizza!"

"No, chicken!"

"Yes, chicken!"

"Yah, do you want to get fat?" Sunggyu yelled and folded his arms across his chest. "Our concert isn't that far away." 

"Chinese food!" Yelled Dongwoo, who contently met Sunggyu's dark eyes. "I want Chinese."

"We're Koreans!" Hoya grumbled and shoved Dongwoo down into a chair. "Just eat Korean food."

Dongwoo stuck his lips out. "But I eat that everyday."

"What about you, Min?" Sungjong nudged me with a smile. "Aren't you hungry? Myungsoo always tells us how much you love eating."

"Yah!" Myungsoo stuffed a pillow in Sungjong's face. "Do you want to get me in trouble?!"

"Too late." Woohyun sung as I felt my face redden under my hands.

I lifted my head up until me eyes meant that certain someone I was looking for. "Myungsoo?"

He hesitated before answer. "Yes?"

"Hu.." I laid my head down in my arms. "I can't believe you-." Before I could finish, something heavy came gently on me. There was just enough room for me to glance up and see that it Myungsoo trying his best to hug me in my awkward position. "Move!" I laughed and pushed him away. "What were you doing?"

"Wah," Sungyeol stared open-mouthed at us. "I've never seen Myungsoo hug a girl before."

"I just did now." Myungsoo smirked and leaned in to peck my cheek. "Min?" He said and waved a hand in front of my face when I didn't move.

I really did freeze. For a moment, at least, it felt like I did. With everyone looking and having all their attention on what had just happened, I suddenly thought that not moving would freeze everything like it never happen.

"Min," His warm breath tickled my ear as his lips gently brushed along the lobe. "Did you freeze?"

Sungjong leaped forward and shook a pillow in front of my face. "Maybe she did. Oh my gosh." He had on a smile that showed mischief. "Hyung, maybe you should kiss her back to life."

"Should I?" Myungsoo chuckled and actually did bend his head towards me and start forward until I pushed his head away with my finger.

"No."

"You two are cute." Hyo clapped her hands together and stared dreamily at the both of us. "I'm so happy. My best friend and my brother are dating. Tch."

"I never..." I whispered and then blinked rapidly while shouting. "I never said anything about that! Yah, Kim Myungsoo!"

"Hm?" Myungsoo looked as if he was about to burst from laughter. "What is it Minnie?"

"We're not-! I mean, Myungsoo-!" But as I tried saying something, each and every person in the room gave me a suspicious expression, showing that no matter what I say, they wouldn't believe me either way.

Hyo only shook her head in amusement. "Anyways, I checked up on dad not too long ago. He's still unconscious, but the nurses said he's doing better than before."

"That's a relief." Woohyun rested an arm around Hyo and pulled her in comforting way. "He'll be okay."

"Because of Min." Myungsoo chirped in.

Hoya fell into one of the chairs beside the bed. "I still can't believe you're donating your own kidney."

"It's for a good reason." I shrugged.

"Min's a really good person." Sunggyu patted my head with a bright smile until Myungsoo whacked him away.

"Don't touch."

Sunggyu backed away, rubbing his hand. "Jeez. You're too over-protective."

Myungsoo lifted his head towards Sunggyu in a sort of arrogant way. "That's what love does to you." There was suddenly a ring of someone's phone that distracted me from my thoughts. "Hello?" Myungsoo stood up from my side and hurried out the door with his phone pressed closely to his ear. "I'll be back." He mouthed to me before leaving.

"That's what he said last time." Sungjong mumbled and took Myungsoo's spot next to me. "So what'll it be? Pizza, chicken, or Chinese?"

"I can't eat before the surgery." I glowered while Dongwoo and Sungyeol cracked up at my expression, which was apparently funny.

During this time, Woohyun had gone somewhere else and came back just as Hyo finished up the ordering of Chinese food because it contained "less fat" than the other foods. Woohyun began pacing back and forth the front of my bed with an indecisive finger on his lips.

Hyo stood up from her seat. "What? Where's Myungsoo-oppa?" After meeting eyes with Woohyun, she sighed and fell back down into her chair. "Ahjin was the one who called her, wasn't she?"

"Ahjin wanted to meet up with him." Woohyun explained and ruffled his hair in a annoyed way. "Aish that girls is so troublesome. But that's all he told me."

"Oh!" Sungyeol piped up when his phone beeped. "It's Myungsoo. He said," His voice suddenly quieted. "He said he can't come back tonight. And to tell Min," He walked towards me with his phone held out. "Maybe you should read it for yourself."

To: Me (Sungyeol)

From: Myungsoo (L)

Sungyeol-ah, I won't be able to come back to the hospital tonight. Ahjin's

giving me a hard time and something came up.

I don't know when I'll be back, but let's hope it's soon.

Tell the others thank you for everything and for being my friends when

they should've ditched me the first moment we met. And thanks to you, I

found the meaning of caring and friendship. Hyo will eventually know what

happened, so don't tell her just yet; I'll do that part myself. Do good at the

concert and become those super-idols you're always talking about.

As for Min, I trust you all enough to protect her for me. Tell her to stay

close to Daehyun because he'll the one who'll be there for her while

I'm gone. He should be there in a bit. Tell Min goodnight for me.

Tell her that I love her and hope for her the best in the future.

Thank you all for everything. ~ Kim Myungsoo (L)

 

"What the heck?!" I yelled at the phone and threw it down near my feet. Flipping the blanket off, I jumped off the bed and headed for the door until a strong pair of arms grasped me away. "Let go!" I screamed. "Where's Myungsoo?!"

"He's-." The voice came from the person holding me back. "Something came up."

I slumped onto the floor near the window and began hyperventilating. "I know that, but what came up? Where is he?! I swear, Ahjin."

The door opened so fiercely, I flinched away from the noise. Daehyun appeared and fell down beside me. "Min! Are you okay? Myungsoo said that-." But when he saw my eyes glistening with tears, he stopped and hugged me. "He left, didn't he?"

 

"I-I don't know."

"He sent me a text," Daehyun pulled out his phone. "It said something about leaving. I don't understand." He looked at Sunggyu and then back down at me. "Why would he..?"

Sunggyu threw his arms up. "What is the matter with that boy?! Hyojin, call Mrs. Kim and ask her."

As Hyo was in the process of contacting Mrs. Kim, Woohyun and Sungyeol sat on both my sides trying their very best to comfort me and I needed it. I needed someone to comfort me and tell me it would be alright. All those who I've ever loved and care for so much were gone. All the promises Myungsoo had made me were gone with him.

 

"Are you ready?" Dr. Tae gave me a kind smile while the nurses wheeled me down the hallway on the wide bed. "Everything will be fine afterwards." But even though I knew everything would be fine physically, it wouldn't be mentally.

The room we entered was small and painted a mint green with an operating table in the middle of all the counters, cabinets, trays piled with medical knives, and light fixtures. I had to close my eyes under the bright light that was as Dr. Tae began speaking again.

"We'll be putting you under anesthesia with this thing." He held up a balloon type object and lowered it again to place it against my mouth. "It'll make you feel very sleepy and then eventually sleep will take over you. There's no reason to feel nervous. Just relax."

And then my eyes began to droop with each blink until my vision turned black. I still heard scuffling around me before it sounded as if my ears were being stuffed with cotton balls. My hands fell at my sides with my whole body beginning to fall apart under the power of the anesthesia.

Myungsoo's face popped up in my dreams a few times, always whispering his promises and alluring words. His smile and small dimple faded along with himself. I could faintly remember yelling for him and feeling myself running after him, but it was like chasing the horizon, like chasing the stars. I could never reach him no matter how hard I tried.

 

"Myungsoo's not back yet." Someone spoke in a panicked voice as my hearing came back to normal. "He's not going to be here for Min when she wakes."

"Just-." Someone else sighed. "Pretend like he's somewhere else."

"He is somewhere else."

"But that he's coming back."

My eyes fluttered open to a white ceiling painted with a beautiful flower in a valley of green and blue. Without even moving an inch, people filled both sides of my view with anxious and nervous looks.

It was the girl who spoke first. "How are you feeling Min?" Her warm hand clasped over mine with the friendliest of affections.

"I'm-." My voice came out raspy and sour-sounding. "Ugh."

"It's okay." A boy to my left laughed and patted my shoulder. "You don't have to talk right now. Just rest."

My mind suddenly clicked in an instant and threw memories back and forth around my brain. "Oh." I glanced down my body and saw a white blanket covering everything. I remember about the surgery and felt around my stomach, which brought on a sore feeling.

"Don't touch it." Daehyun mumbled and held my hand away. "It'll hurt more."

"Where's Myungsoo? And don't lie to me."

"He's in Busan right now." Sunggyu replied, sounding more formal and strict than I remember.

Questions filled my head with answers I needed to hear. "Is he okay? When is he coming back? What did Ahjin..?"

Everyone in the room shook their heads.

"He isn't coming back."

 

I grabbed Mrs. Kim by her hand before she could leave my bedside. "At least tell me where he is. Please?"

"I never knew you cared so much for him." She pressed her lips together. "It probably would be better if you don't."

"Don't?" I rose an eyebrow. "How could I-?" She doesn't know. I had forgotten that both his parents didn't know about us. "But do you at least know where he is?"

She hesitated before answering me directly. "Yes. And I can assure you he's doing just fine. At least I..."

"Did you talk to him?"

"I did."

My voice lowered as I spoke. "Did he ask about me?"

"He only mentioned about your surgery and how it went. That's all."

"Ah."

"Min, I have to leave for a meeting soon." She let go of my hand and patted my head lightly. "I'm going to see Mr. Kim and then leave. And if you hear from Myungsoo... If you hear from him, call me, okay?" And she left.

 

There was a rush of cold wind of fresh air as I exited through the hospital doors. The bright sun blinded me as I headed down the sidewalk and into the open door to of Daehyun's car. He walked behind closely while carrying my bags.

Today was the day I left the hospital and went home. Dr. Tae had given me his name card in case anything would happen; I held it tightly as if it would make the soreness fade away.

Daehyun set the bags in the back seats and jumped in through the door to the driver's spot. "Aren't you glad to be going home?"

"Yeah." I mumbled and tugged at the sleeves on my shirt. "I guess." Summer was coming fast and yet the weather decided to give us freezing rain and cloudy days. I breathed the cold in through the open window, feeling the singe of it against my throat.

We drove back in silence with the music playing faintly in the background. I took in the view of everything and let it sink in. The scenery all around was so similar and yet different, everything I saw looked like a complete dream. The trees, like every spring, was growing its lovely flowers back and seemed to live once again. The grass was now a full green as the sunlight peeking behind the clouds fell upon it. There were even birds soaring overhead along with the breeze.

"You're not usually this quiet." Daehyun spoke after the ending of the last song. Not wanting to talk, I shrugged and gave a small smile instead. He seemed to understand my silence and drove on without another word.

When the view of the house came, there were a few cars lined in the driveway and next to the sidewalk. I glanced accusingly at Daehyun, but he didn't seem to notice and parked next to Dongwoo's shiny green car.

The door opened up before I could even reach for the doorbell. Dongwoo's ecstatic face popped from behind the door and gave me a meaningful look. "Myungsoo called earlier."

"H-he did?" I pushed inside the house and into the living room. "Myungsoo called?"

Everyone seemed shocked by my arrival. Hoya lifted a confetti shooter thing and shot a blast of ribbons in the air. "Surprise..!"

"Yah," I shook Sungyeol who looked pale in the face. "What's the matter? What did Myungsoo say?"

"He's..doing fine. He asked how you were and about us." Woohyun spoke instead.

Sungyeol balled his hands together with tears lining his eyes. "That girl. I can't believe she-.Sunggyu stood up immediately and brought Sungyeol along with him upstairs before I could ask of anything.

I scanned the room in disbelief. "No one is telling me anything, are you?" As already expected, not one person said a word and adverted their eyes. Giving up, I trudged up the stairs and into my room.

"..Can't believe he would do that! It's not even his child!"

"We don't know that. He didn't exactly clarify."

"But still! Ahjin is such a-!"

"Shh..."

The door to my room opened slightly, revealing Sungyeol and Sunggyu behind.

"Did you..?" Sungyeol cleared his throat. "Did you hear everything?"

I didn't say anything back and stared big-eyed at the two of them peeking into my room.

"Min," Sungyeol's voice shuttered as he spoke. "You know Myungsoo's a great person, right? And that he would never do anything wrong." After a minute of silence, he spoke again. "But he isn't coming back."

A tear fell from my eye without any warning.

"He can't." Sunggyu stepped into my room, followed by Sungyeol. "Not right now. It's complicated."

"And why can't anyone tell me? Don't you think I would want to know?"

"Myungsoo doesn't want you to worry about him." Sungyeol sniffled and stuffed his hands into his pockets. "He wants you to focus on yourself and to not think too much about him."

"I'm not going to forget him if that's what you're talking about."

"We aren't asking for that. But for the time being, don't try to contact him or find him. Just let him be."

"I-." I lowered my head to my knees with a heavy sigh.

Hyo, all of a sudden, ran into the room and threw me over with a hug. "He still loves you though. Myungsoo-oppa still loves you."

"But-."

"You love him too, right?" She asked in hope of my answer and silently sobbed into my shoulder. "If you do, he'll come back. The one you love will always come back."

I let myself fall into Hyo's hold and cried along with her. The guys backed out of the room and soundlessly closed the door.

"He'll come back." Hyo repeated this sentence over and over again as I tried to believe it for myself. "He loves you and will come back.