Chapter 34

ずっと一緒に
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Misaki... I'm sorry if I have been an eye sore to you... I ..." Mirai was on the brink of crying but held back as she didn't want to show her weak side.

Misaki seemed deaf to her words, leaving the kitchen even before she has finished speaking. However, Yuto cordoned off the exit, giving her no choice but to listen in.

"give Mirai some of your time, please..." Yuto begged.

"i know you hate me for my decision during his final breathe. I know I was the one who instructed his life support to be taken away. I know I didn't have the rights then, but you have to believe me that he wanted it that way."

Misaki refused to look at her as she spoke, standing as still as an cold ice block. it was hard to tell if she was even listening. Yuto couldn't stay oblivious to the situation, he found the need to interfere.

"Misaki-san, I know you're upset, you felt betrayed and all, but at that point in time, if you insisted on keeping the life support on, Ryosuke will only suffer longer. you must admit there's no hope of survival, and he wanted the agony to end. if you loved your brother, you had to let go, there was no other choice. it wasn't easy for Mirai to say it out, and she has been second guessing herself for a long time ever since... what if I ask for it to be turned off, what if there was really a miracle... she just kept thinking of it, blaming herself day and night. I really hope you can try to think over this rationally, Misaki-san"

"Yuto...don't say it anymore..." Mirai cut him off as she didn't want this conversation to appear like a 2 versus 1 intimidation. she didn't want a spokesperson as well. However, at this instance, she responded.

"I know."

"huh?" Yuto and Mirai exclaimed together.

"I know my brother wanted it to be turned off. I know it's my brother all along."

"then why did you..." Mirai was interrupted before she could finish her sentence.

"give you a cold shoulder, you mean? hmmm, I felt jealous and betrayed perhaps. why do you get to decide my brother's life? why do you get to spend his last moments but none of us got to? these are questions that bombarded me. everytime I see you, I will just feel that surge of anger burning in my veins, especially when I see you with another guy... I truly wanted to let it go when you told us about being pregnant with Ryosuke's child. I was convinced of your sincerity towards my brother even after his death, but still I needed somewhere to channel the emotional trauma from the loss of my brother. it had to be you, since it was intuitive. I told myself countless times to treat you indifferently but everytime I slip deeper into the trap until I became addicted. I'm genuinely sorry."

"Misaki... I understand... we all needed time to heal, especially when the two of you were so close. I won't blame you or hate on you just cause you did it to me."

"you won't?"

"no. I wanted to resolve our issues so we can be closer. Ryosuke's wish can then be fulfilled" Mirai smiled softly.

"yes, his wishes... gomene Niichan that I took so long to make up with  Mirai-san" Misaki lowered her head as she uttered and Mirai was sure a drop of tear rolled down her cheeks. it has also become apparent that Ryosuke has not only mentioned of this in Mirai's letter but also in Misaki. their heart wrenched at the thought that he has tended to everything even on his death bed. 

the 2 ladies tugged into each other's embrace, and the whole scene becomes so heartening that even Yuto teared subtly.

"Yuto-kun.." Misaki pulled away slightly from Mirai's embrace and called out.

"yes?"

"thank you for accepting Mirai and Ryuu... I always wanted to say this to you personally. my brother will be glad to see his loved ones in the care of a family man like you."

"I'm flattered but i wouldn't take all the credit. your brother has played a starring role in my pursuit of Mirai's love. if it wasn't for him, i would have continued hiding in my comfort zone, feeling despair and hopeless."

"my brother... he's so kind... I... I miss him..." it felt as though the reservoir in Misaki is switched on. She cried bitterly. Yuto held her shoulders, and both him and Mirai gave her a reassuring smile.

"we all miss him too, but let bygones be bygones ne. he wouldn't want to see us like that too," Yuto added cheerfully which eventually turned her gloomy expression to a sunny side up.

"lets go celebrate... it's time to cut the cake, ne!" Mirai cheered. as she strolled out to the living room with Yuto and Misaki, she received a message on her phone that made her stun for a moment.

Yuto noticed Mirai was lagging behind, and her tightly knitted brows tell him that it is something out of the norm.

"what's wrong? who is it...?" Yuto cupped her shoulders and asked with utmost concern.

"there's someone I need to meet after the celebrations..." Mirai looked up and said. an air of uncertainty lingered...

*****
Megu POV

I spent some time with Chihiro-san, afterwhich she showed me around the luxurious house and even shared some of the mischievous stories of the yamada siblings, including Ryuu's father Ryosuke. I must say that through this lighthearted sharing, I got to know a little more of this legendary man whom everyone seemed to deliberately leave on the edge of the tongue. I have to admit I was inspired by his undying spirit to fight on and never give up. what's more, his everlasting love for his family and his loved ones were all evident from his every act. it was touching, yet pitiful to have this world lose such a wonderful guy. I could see why Ryuu was so often spoken of taking over his father's traits cause I do agree there are loads of similarities between the 2, apart from the striking resemblance. perhaps Ryuu was a gift to make up for his father's departure? or perhaps Ryuu was his father's reincarnation, though I wasn't always a believer of life-after-death. 

then Chinen and Umika, the cute couple, showed me more hospitality by chatting with me. they were so casual that for once I felt I was at ease. I laughed with them, chat with them, until I saw a cake being rolled out. 

"it's time to cut the cake!" I heard Ryuu's grandmother announce. all of their relatives, many of whom i was not introduced to (perhaps the distant relatives of the Yamada household) crowd around the table, followed by Chinen, Umika, Mirai, Yuto and Daiki. I followed Umika and ended up beside Ryuu's parents.

"Megu, where's Ryuu?" Mirai whispered in my ears.

"I think he's still upstairs?" I answered, but it was at this point I realised that 1 hour has since past from the time we parted upstairs.

"I'll go get him" Yuto volunteered but as soon as he said that, Ryuu could be seen strolling down the stairs. his head was bent down but I managed to catch a glimpse of his depressed face (and reddened eyes?) I know that look anywhere. others may not notice anything wrong, but his parents and I saw through it almost immediately. He silently walked towards the 3 of us. none of us spoke a word, except stare blankly into his face, hoping to get some answers by merely looking at him. when he noticed our intimidating eyes, he feigned a smile. it was too obvious that the smile he gave was too heavy, too awkward, too stiff. 

I crept up beside him and grabbed him by his elbow. he turned and looked at me when I asked "Daijoubu?"

I saw his hesitation right before my eyes. he didn't answer immediately; this was the most definite indication that he was mentally challenged. I held his hand tightly with my fingers fully entwined with his, and I could feel him tightened his hand so much so that I thought my fingers will be shattered.

one relative's voice echoed through the packed living room like a loud hauler and suggested, " why not have Ryosuke's only son, Ryuu to do the honours of cutting and distributing the cakes."

"me?" Ryuu was astonished.

"it's just a symbolic celebration, so we can do it casually. you can just cut it and distribute it, like your aunt said" Ryuu's grandfather agreed.

I saw some reluctance in his eyes but with his parents reassurance, he complied nevertheless. he walked upfront and stood in the front of the huge cake, with his hand still in mine. hence I received a little of the spotlight. I took a closer look at the wordings on the cake and there it reads "happy birthday, Yamada Ryosuke!"
I honestly didn't know if such a tradition was necessary as it appeared to me like a sharpened sword ready to pierce into the barely healed wound of those few. I scanned through the crowd and already I saw the shimmering tears welling in the eyes of his direct kin. Ryuu was taking a quick glimpse of everyone in the house too, then I felt Ryuu's grip of my hand strengthened in intensity and I noticed him tightening his jaw. his glance turned serious and his frown deepens. there was no time for me to ask him so all I could do was to show my reciprocal support by tightening my grip of his hand as well. it meant to say "I am with you" but I can only hope it was conveyed well. as he cut through the cake, I could almost sense his agony. each time the knife cuts through the cake, I felt him cringe. my eyes twitched as though it foresees what was about to happen. it was almost like the volcano in him erupted after he handed the last piece of cake to his sister, Akira. I heard her ask him "Niichan, are you okay? you look pale." Mirai and Yuto looked in his direction as they heard Akira. instead of answering, he suddenly grabbed his bag and dashed towards the exit.

"wait, where are you going?" Mirai, Yuto and Akira asked in unison, while I stood motionless on the spot, trying to comprehend what was happening.

"I...I need to go first. minna, I'll meet you back home" he mumbled then dashed out through the door.

Mirai-san and I sprung from our positions and ran after, except that Mirai was put on halt by Yuto. at the back of my ear, I could hear Yuto tell Mirai, "I think Megu will be a better confidant. lets give him some space" 

"Okasan. otousan. will Niichan be okay?"

"he'll be. don't worry, Akira"

I looked from the corner of my eyes and I could see the most worrisome look worn on Mirai's face.

I ran and ran at my fastest speed with the strong freezing night breeze cutting through my skin, sending chills down my spine. I wanted so desperately to catch up to him but the gap only seemed to widen. streets after streets, alley after alley, he never stopped to breathe and I never stopped chasing. finally, he tripped over a pavement groove. his palms cushioned the fall, then I thought he would stand on his feet but he stayed motionless on his hands and feet with his head lowered. 

"Ryuu!" I rushed up to him and pulled him up. there was almost no energy in him when I led him to a bench nearby, his expression was cold as ice. 

"are you hurt?" I asked but he just sat there without a respond.

"Ryuu?" I called again, trying to bring him back to his senses, still there was no reply.

I examined him myself, then I realise the abrasions on his palms. 

"gosh it's bleeding!" I rummaged through my bag for my bottle of mineral water and my handkerchief and began cleaning his wound gently so I wouldn't hurt him. 

"does it hurt?" I looked up to him and ask. instead of the same statue like face I saw seconds ago, this time I saw streams of tears trickling down silently.

"Ryuu? what's wrong? please tell me... I'm here for you too, just like you're here for me. I'm your girlfriend, remember?" I put my arms over his broad, sunken shoulder and pulled him closer.

"cry, if you need to..." I didn't say that out of the blue. the reason I asked him to was because it seemed like he has been suppressing it. there was a vacuum of silence initially, then he broke down with bitter cries. hearing the cries of the man I loved, it felt like deadly arrows piercing through my vulnerable heart. 

He was so restless from the crying that he leaned on my shoulders without a second word. I could feel his whole load of burden resting on me and began to feel as heavy as he did. His wailing didn't stop and that came in the way when he tried to explain verbally the cause of his sudden break down.

"Their eyes... all of them... are filled with sorrows and longings for my birth father. Every single time they looked at me, I sense it without fail. I am even beginning to hate myself for bringing pain to all of them. It is difficult enough if it's only my mother, but it's literally everyone I faced. You know, Megu, my father and I beside being blood related, we have no apparent connection at all. Neither of us knew each other's existence, neither are we present in each other's col

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter