Chapter 22

ずっと一緒に
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ryuu sat at a corner seat facing his dad, each ordered a set of lamb chop and their favourite dessert. Ryuu ordered a strawberry shortcake, while his father ordered a matcha green tea ice cream. Instead of eating, the older man ended up staring at Ryuu with deep emotions.

"nande otousan? is there something you wanna tell me?"

Clearly, staring at Ryuu made him realised how he bear striking resemblance and that even his subtle acts made him reminisce. But there was something else troubling him, and he didnt know what better way to break it to him. Ryuu sat up attentively and looked into his father's eyes.

"erm... you know this month is April right...and you know what happens in April right?"

"yeah I know. but it'll be fine as always, otousan. okasan will pull through it as long as you're with her, so you don't have to worry" he gave his father a pat on his shoulder.

"that is the problem...I can't be by her side this time. I have an overseas work assignment and will be in Singapore for 2 weeks. it clashes exactly during this period."

"heh?! have you told okasan about it? she'll probably flip"

"I haven't. I wanted to let you know first cause I need your help to take care of her in place of me"

"me?! otousan...(you know I'll probably make it worst)" Ryuu murmured. 

"huh?" he couldn't hear clearly what was being said so he went on with his request.

"I'm bringing Akira to your grandparents' house for the time being. since she's having her holidays, Mirai won't be able to stay home taking care of her due to work, so it'll be easier that I get your grandparents to help out. as for you, you still have school and you're old enough to fend for yourself, so I'm not too worried. I'm only a little concerned about Mirai, I'm afraid she can't cope with her emotions since this month as you know is quite depressing for her"

"that's why, otousan you need to be here with her... can't you get a replacement for your work?"

"I tried but I can't. Ryuu, I can count on you right?"

"but otousan... I don't think this is a good idea. okasan will not be comfortable with just me in the house"

"I get what you mean, but Ryuu, you've just misunderstood your mother. she doesn't dislike you, nothing close to what you think... you guys just need more time to sort it out... this would be a good time. please Ryuu, otousan is begging you for once."

Ryuu sighed and buried his face close to his food and avoided his father's eyes. "okay, I'll try" he responded coldly.

"arigatou, my son!" his father gave him a light hug before refocusing on his food, this time with a much lighter mood.

"you better let her know soon... I can tell she's not gonna be happy with your arrangement" Ryuu warned.

"don't worry, leave this to me. your mum is quite easy to tackle" he spoke confidently, though Ryuu remains doubtful of what his father believed would be the reaction of his mother. 

the meal ended up to be carried out in silence after the difficult request from his father. Ryuu was totally engrossed in how he's gonna face his mother for 2 whole weeks, especially when it falls right within that special day 28th April. Ryuu needed time alone, also to give his father time to break it out to his mother, so he refused his father's offer to drive him home. instead he came up with an excuse that he has to do research for his assignment so he needed to go back to his school library to stay away from home until late into the night. 

He located an isolated seat in one corner of the moderately sized school library, took a random book from the shelves. he stared blankly at one of the pages, not understanding a word that's written in the book as though it's foreign, afterwhich he gave up and let his mind blank. not really blank, cause his mind just remained engrossed with his pending challenges. he leaned his chin on the table and dazed at the students moving in and out... it's like a hypnosis cause he felt his eyelids getting heavier and heavier...until his vision went black.

*****
Mirai left her work as soon as she received a call from her dearest husband for a dinner. She was so excited about spending some couple time with him that she seemed a lot like a kid having her first time in an amusement park. She ended up being too early when she reached her all-time favourite restaurant. Having chosen her most favored window seat, she ordered her usual ice tea and savored it while waiting for him. 

She looked out through the window and immersed herself in the April snow. She is in a love-hate relationship with this time of the year, on the one hand loving the white snowy imagery, and on the other hand felt extremely daunting cause of the painful memories that accompanied with it. despite the painful recollection, there's one part of it that never fails to make her heart race everytime it surfaced in her mind. it's perhaps the only part that resonated with the beauty and serenity of the April snow. She closed her eyes, letting her mind wander back.

"are you sure about driving this?" Mirai hesitated as Ryosuke confidently entered an opened roof car he rented from a car-rental store. 

"don't worry, driving isn't that draining. taking the public transport will waste too much time... you're not doubting my driving skills are you?" Ryosuke smirked.

"no, of course I'm not doubting. it's not like I never sat in your car before"

"then get on" he stretched out his arms and pulled her right into the passenger seat beside him, strapping her cozily in the front. Everytime he helped to strap her up, she would find herself immersed in his sweet lavender cologne and more importantly, his sweet breathe that brushes through her nose. 

Suddenly he giggled.

"huh?" 

"your heartbeat is too loud" Ryosuke teased as he paused right at her face, separated only by merely an inch.

"Baka Ryosuke" she pushed him by his chest,and he cheekily returned to his steering wheel.

"wohoooo! Hakone, here we come!" Ryosuke cheered with his hand raised above his head. the wind brushed through their hair as the car moved forward. Mirai was captivated by the carefree Ryosuke, whose smile is nothing like what she saw the past week since that dramatic twist of events. She was glad that she managed to cheer him up, just like what Chihiro said. the longer she gazed at him, the more she's aware that he's masking his agony . the smiley face he put up was a result of his conscious efforts to distract himself from his endless troubles. whatever it is, Mirai knew her duties was to lighten his mood, so she played along.

"wohooooo!!!!!Hakone, here we come!!!!" she repeated what he said, startling him then resolved with an exchange of smiles. He could tell she's trying. deep down, he's filled with gratitude towards her..."arigatou Mirai and gomenasai" he recited in his mind while maintaining his smile. 

After a few hours of nonstop traveling, they finally reached. though both of them have never been to Hakone, they didn't need a road sign to indicate, cause the view before them was stunning enough to mesmerize and lift their senses.

Right in front of them was a family-owned inn with a hot spring. " lets lodge here" Ryosuke decided by himself, grabbing her hand and led her in through the entrance. 

"Konnichiwa~" an old couple greeted them with a bright smile that warmth both their young hearts. Ryosuke and Mirai greeted back, but what Ryosuke said next was mind blowing for Mirai.

"may we have one room, please" Ryosuke kindly asked. Mirai stared with wide opened eyes at the request he made.

"R-Ryosuke, one?"

"yes, it'll be too expensive for two isn't it? and it'll be too lonely" he ruffled her hair as he said. "I won't eat you up, so chill" She quickly hid her blush as she realised he understood the nature of her unnecessary panic. never did she expect that this trip would tighten their relationship even more, with occurrences and incidents that gave her unlimited anxiety and heart pounding, definitely not suitable for girls with weak heart especially facing a heart-throb like Ryosuke. 

"uwahhhhh this is so cozy. isn't it, Mirai?" she trailed closely behind him and was amazed by how comfortable the furnishing is. She sat on a bean bag that laid on the floor. The moment she let her guard loose, Ryosuke cheekily laid on her thighs with his head.

"uwahhhh Ryosuke~what are you doing" she felt so shy that she lifted her arms to avoid touching any part of his body.

"sleeping... I'm so tired from the hours of driving, just lend me your thighs ne" he giggled and pulled her hands to his face, continuing to challenge the limits of her toleration. Though she initially flustered, she eventually became bold enough to caress his face and hair, cradling him in her arms like her baby. He thought he's bold, but ended up he felt his heart racing as fast as hers. he felt the tip of her fingers leaving tinkling sensations right to his heartstrings. It took him longer than he thought to genuinely go into his dreamland given his nervous heart triggered by the tender love from Mirai. 

"Ryo, did you lie on Haruna's thigh too?" she knew he's asleep when he brushed his bangs on his forehead, still she uttered the question. she is tickled by her own jealousy, so she quickly shrugged it off.

She quietly picked up her phone and send a text to both her brother and Chihiro.

"Niichan, I'm with Ryosuke at Hakone. Sorry for not saying earlier, it's sudden. help me let mum and dad know we're okay. thanks Niichan!"

"Chihiro-san, Ryosuke is with me at Hakone. don't worry, he's better now. he said he'll fight on, but he just needed some time alone. I'll be with him, if there's anything, I'll call you immediately - Mirai" 

She sent the messages and made sure it was silent enough not to wake him up. then fixated her gaze at him, continuing to pat him and caress his hair, for hours...

~
When she woke up hours later, she realised she's lying on the same beanbag, with a blanket pulled over her. He's not here. She panicked and sprung up from her sleeping posture. He's not in the room, so she searched outdoors.

"hey Mirai~ I'm here" he called out when he saw her in a mad rush, looking left and right with a pale expression. Noticing him, she felt her frantic emotions quickly disintegrate into tears of relief. She rushed to his side and pounded on his chest.

"Baka! hontoni Baka Yamada Ryosuke! you scared the daylights out of me!" she c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter