chapter 2

ずっと一緒に
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"hey! that flower is not for plucking!" I shouted at the little boy who ran past me while I'm gardening the hospice and uprooting a flower in the process.

pfft, why are there so many playful, naught kids around. I'm definitely not someone who work well with kids. while I tended to some weeds bending down, I saw the mother of the little boy. she wholeheartedly received the flower from her son, and that innocent scene was nonetheless, heart crunching. she was frail looking, pale as paper and seated on a wheelchair. even her grip on the stalk of the flower was weak and shivering. I took a few steps closer and hid myself behind the bushes and unconsciously ended up eavesdropping on their conversation.

"okasan, do you like the flower?" the little boy leaned on her mother's lap and ask hopefully.

"yes... it's as charming as you" his mother complimented. I shrugged as I recall his pesky face when he stole the flower from in front of my sight.

"okasan, when can you go home with me and otousan?"

"soon~ you must keep the house clean and help me take care of your otousan... once you grow up, and show me you are independent, I'll come home"

"hai, okasan, I'll grow up quickly so that you can go home" his mother pulled his son into her brace and the simple view of this conversation really warm my heart. but soon, the view turned into a nightmare.

the woman coughed, and instantly, blood splat out from her nose and mouth like an opened tap, some of which stained her child's clothes and skin. it was such horrifying scene that the kid cry hysterically. I cowardly hid myself cause I really didnt know what to do. I watch helplessly as the nurses ran towards them, restraining the shaken boy and tending to the woman. still the blood flowed no matter how they tried to stop the bleeding. tissues, toilet papers and everything that can absorb were used to stop the bleeding while they wheeled her back to the hospital grounds. even my position, I could see the once-green grass stained with red, fresh blood. I could still hear the cries of the boy even after the nurse carried him indoors. I was shivering in fear, and ashamed of my cowardly behaviour. a lonely teardrop rolled down my eyes. I lost my footing in the midst of recovering my weakening limbs and the mud from the rain splashed on my clothes and arms.

"ahhh!" karma I thought. definitely so. retribution for being a bystander. it was so slippery that I failed to stand up after many attempts. then someone stretched out his hand for me. normally I would think it will be Yuto, but this hand is shorter and much more build. I looked to my side and saw Ryosuke already squatting beside me, offering his hand for me. 

"Y-yamada-kun... w-when are you here?" I wiped the fallen tear, and when he giggled, I realised the problem. it's so embarrassing when I realised the mud on my hand smudged on my face. he grabbed me by my arms and lifted me from the ground. my heart thumps rapidly when he leaned closer. "Y-Yamada-kunn" I stuttered. goodness, is he going to kiss me on my second meet? oh my goodness... I feel flustered for the first time, and I didn't know where to focus me eyes, so I shut it. then there was a soft touch on my cheeks.it was warm, but there should be a breathe of warmth blowing at the point of contact but it wasn't... again, he chuckled. when I took a peek, I realised he was just cleaning the dirt on my cheek. 

"opps..." he laughed loudly this time "I think I just made it worst."

"heh?!" I took out my phone and saw the double mess he created on my face. out of impulse, I rubbed some of the mud from my arms on him as well, to even up. this was how it started... we ended up chasing and teasing each other in the scenic garden. by the end of it, we're just covered in mud like little rusty kids. laughing at each other while panting hard, I realised how charming he was when he smiles. so captivating that I dazed...

"Mirai-san~ Mirai-san~" he brought back my senses. 

"yes?"

"feeling better?" he asked, and in that instant I realised he was doing all this to cheer me up from the episode earlier involving the mother-son. his strategy did work amazingly cause I totally forgot about it and felt my mood lightened.

"yea, thank you" I returned a smile.

"it's maglinant lymphoma... uncontrolled bleeding is one of those things they have to live with. there're no cures yet, so..."

"so... what her son said about her going home, is not gonna happen?" I asked with tears welling in my eyes, and he nodded. the thought about the promise she gave her son, was all just feigned just so her son would not worry, just left me in an even more emotional state. 

"life is so cruel... I can't understand why people have to suffer such horrible illnesses" I asked 

"why me and not them... why is it me who has to suffer all this..." he turned more agitated as he spoke. he acted out the emotions so well, that i was into the angst of such rhetorical questions. 

"Yamada-kun?" i looked at him, unsure how to react to his statement. then his deep frowns resolved into a gentle smile.

"every one of the patients will ask such a question, and will find the answer to these questions before they leave... probably there's a greener pasture on the other side. well, everyone will die one day, including me and you, it's just a matter of time. you're not her, so you probably don't know how she feels. but one thing for sure is, her son is a much bigger concern than her own pain." he suddenly threw his arm over my shoulder and brought me to the female toilet. the journey that was really warm as I thought about the first skinship between us. ahhhh it's driving me nuts just thinking about it. 

"go clean up yourself. If you don't mind, I have some of my clean clothes here. I'll bring it to you."

"heh? why did you need to put spare clothes here? 

"cause I spend a lot of time here. and in case I meet situations like this" he gave me a smile before going towards the opposite direction. seriously, Mirai, what kind of stupid question did you just ask. lol. he's really a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter