Part 4

Small Love

Happy Easter everyone!

***

‘So how did it go, you sly dog you!’ Siwon was looking at him with greasy smile that was suggesting more than Kyuhyun wanted to imagine.

 

They were waiting to pick up their kids at the entrance since both Chunghee and Siwon’s middle one, Jiyoung, managed to get themselves all dirty with paint they were using during their free time. Jisoo was already sitting on the bench kicking her legs waiting for her brother to get ready. The boys needed to be washed and changed into clean clothes that they had prepared already in case of such emergencies.

 

Rolling his eyes Kyuhyun folded his arms over his chest.

 

‘I don’t know what you’re talking about.’ He murmured, eyes set on the dirty spot on the wall opposite from him.

 

‘We set up everything perfectly so you two have time to get to know each other. And he’s obviously depending on you a lot.’ Siwon continued unfazed by his friend’s animosity.

 

‘Yeah, see how thankful I am.’ Kyuhyun grumbled out. He might or might not have been a little upset because it was already third day in a row he was missing Sungmin because the man had problem with commuting and arranged with Hyukjae to look after Sungrin a little longer. The two weeks before that they were meeting every day and walking together, making small talk about work or kids. It was really… pleasant. And he even managed to convince himself he could keep his attraction towards the slightly older male at bay.

 

‘Oh, c’mon, you’re loving this.’ Siwon nudged him in the side before turning sharply around. ‘Jisoo, stop throwing those paper balls at me!’ He chided his daughter who only giggled and threw a bigger ball into his face.

 

Kyuhyun grinned at that and put two thumbs up towards the little girl who giggled even more.

 

‘Kyuhyuuuuun…’ Siwon whined, but at least he dropped the topic of Sungmin.

 

Suddenly Jungsu appeared in the hallway leading two grinning boys.

 

‘You need to bring new sets of clothes.’ He said quickly, and a little distractedly, as he handed two bundles to two fathers.

 

‘Hyung, what’s up?’ Kyuhyun asked as he pushed the bundle into his worn bag.

 

‘Ahhh, nothing nothing…’ The man was stretching his neck to look over their shoulders and smoothening his tight fitting white v-neck at the same time.

 

‘Is the smexy inspector coming?’ Siwon wiggled his brows and was shot down with a glare. Jungsu could be scary when he wanted to.

 

‘Inspector Heechul is coming for his monthly visit, I’m just anxious about my nursery.’ Jungsu hissed out and flipped what looked like freshly died fringe to the side.

 

‘Right…’ Both Siwon and Kyuhyun sneered before picking up their sons’ bags.

 

Siwon was chatting about some new delicious recipe he found as they were exciting the nursery’s premises when Kyuhyun heard his name being called. He turned his head and saw Hyukjae running towards them, his apron flapping behind him like a cape. He must have forgotten to tie it properly.

 

‘Kyuhyun, Sungmin called a second ago.’ The lanky man was panting, he was holding a phone in his right hand.

 

Kyuhyun turned around to face Hyukjae and furrowed his brows.

 

‘He’s stuck in some meeting with overseas partners or something and from his tone I got that the negotiations aren’t going well. He said that he doesn’t know when he’ll get off and asked if you could take Sungrin.’ Hyukjae explained the situation quickly and from his expression Kyuhyun could tell that it was serious. ‘I can take him if you~’

 

‘No, I’ll take care of Sungrin. Get him ready!’ Kyuhyun immediately cut the man before he could even suggest taking the child. Maybe he was a little too eager in his response because he could practically feel the grin that bloomed on Siwon’s face. Luckily for the man, he had to excuse himself fast and run after his hyperactive children and didn’t face the wrath Kyuhyun had prepared for him.

 

When Hyukjae run back to the building to get Sungrin ready Kyuhyun crouched in front of his son. Chunghee was exceptionally calm and good, but he was probably trying to lessen the anger of his father for getting the paint all over his clothes.

 

‘Remember when Youngjin was sometimes coming home with us when his dad couldn’t pick him up on time, or when you were going home with uncle Siwon when I was in the center?’ He asked slowly. Chunghee nodded. ‘I, uncle Siwon and uncle Youngwoon had an agreement to take care of you, Youngjin and Jiyoung when one of us couldn’t take you on time from here. And now I have the same agreement with uncle Sungmin. So we’ll be taking Sungrin home with us today, are you okay with that?’ He knew that speaking in such a serious way was the best to get to his son, who apparently took it as his mission to act as responsible and mature as possible, considering his age.

 

For a moment Chunghee was looking at him before he pursed his lower lip and then smiled wide. ‘Sure, I like Sungrin, he’s cute. He walks like a little duck.’

 

Kyuhyun smiled at his son and ruffled his hair before placing a kiss on his forehead. ‘Great. Now let’s get him and go eat something, yeah?’

 

Chunghee nodded eagerly.

 

***

 

It was already past 9 pm when Sungmin rang his intercom. He looked tired and aggravated. His nostrils were flaring, his suit jacket was crumpled and pushed under his arm, tie completely absent while a few top buttons of his dress shirt were undone to where it was disappearing under his vest. His hair was in disarray, not the proper slick businessman like way that it always was.

 

‘I see you had a lovely day.’ Kyuhyun commented when the man just entered his house unceremoniously and plopped down on the couch. Irritated grumbling answered him before Sungmin pushed himself into proper sitting position.

 

‘I don’t even want to think about it.’ He shook his head and pressed the heels of his hands hard into his eyes. ‘How was Sungrin?’ He asked blinking a few times, probably getting rid of the dark spots that momentarily appeared before his eyes.

 

‘Great.’ Kyuhyun said with all honesty.

 

And it was really great. Sungrin exclaimed in glee when Hyukjae handed him to Kyuhyun. He was gurgling happily the whole way home, eyes fixated on Chunghee who was walking beside the trolley, holding onto it after his father ordered him to. At home Chunghee was given the important task of watching Sungrin play with plush toys while Kyuhyun was reheating the food he made earlier. He mixed some vegetables with meat for Sungrin, too, remembering what Sungmin told him about food the boy was already eating. And after that it was like a walk in the park. Chunghee was more than happy to walk Sungrin around their house holding the boy’s hand. Later they sat down with crayons and while the elder was practicing hangul, the younger was practicing staying on the paper. They were so invested in each other that Kyuhyun did some actual work that afternoon and he was surprised to find both boys sound asleep under the table, Sungrin pressed into Chunghee who was hugging him close.

 

He refused to acknowledge that he cooed a little before gathering both kids in his arms and setting them together in Chunghee’s bed.

 

‘No problem. In opposition to you, I can see.’ He moved a few pillows and set to sit next to Sungmin.

 

‘I’m sorry. I’ll take Sungmin now and not disturb you.’ Sungmin tiredly got up and sighed. ‘I hope that if anything like this happens again I won’t be that late.’

 

‘Seriously, that was fine. Sitting partners are for that.’ Kyuhyun assessed the man’s posture and seeing him tense and fidgety he frowned. ‘Are you sure you’re okay to go home this wound up?’

 

Sungmin rubbed his face with one hand and dropped it heavily against his side. ‘You know what? I would love a drink right now. But that’s the downside of being a parent, have to be responsible every moment, every day.’ He picked up his jacket but Kyuhyun quickly snatched it from him. With confusion written all over his face he looked at Kyuhyun placing the jacket over the back of one of the chairs and picking up a phone.

 

‘Loosen up that vest and try to relax. We’re going to dri~ Hey Sulli!’ Kyuhyun suddenly changed the direction of his speech. ‘Are you busy right now?... Would you mind coming for an hour or two now?... You’re great, thank you! See you in a bit!’ He hung up and tossed the phone onto the table.

 

‘What?’ Sungmin asked confused but his fingers were already working on the tight fitting suit vest that he was wearing before he shrugged it off and handed it to Kyuhyun's outstretched hand for the younger to drape it over another chair.

 

‘There is a small place right around the corner, we’re going to get a drink. Boys are asleep already and Sulli will just be here in case one of them wakes up. Chunghee is used to staying with her and I don’t think Sungrin will have any problem. She’s great with kids.’ Kyuhyun was explaining fast while searching for his wallet and phone under the piles of papers he had on his work desk. He looked down at his attire. He was wearing grey sweats and t-shirt with Angry Birds that Chunghee chose for him. Shrugging he walked to the door. He was going just a few steps away from his place and everyone knew him there already. No point changing.

 

Intercom buzzed and he let Sulli in quickly.

 

‘Hi, I’m Sulli.’ The girl bowed towards Sungmin with a smile on her face. There was a book in her hands and she slapped Kyuhyun on the arm when he started remind her about some things.

 

‘Okay, we’re going!’ Kyuhyun finally waved towards Sungmin to follow him and after a few strides across the yard they were out of the possession.

 

***

 

The place was small and there were only four tiny tables already occupied by some patrons. Everything was wooden and very traditional, stools pushed under the bar were high and secure-looking.

 

Kyuhyun could tell that Sungmin liked the place from the first moment they entered because the man’s eyes started glowing and he seemed already much more relaxed. Without asking what he preferred Kyuhyun made his way towards the bar and slid onto one of the stools motioning for the ahjussi behind it to bring his usual with two glasses.

 

Sungmin looked a little comically when he glared at the tall stool and had to jump a little to get onto it, he was shorter than Kyuhyun by quite a little. When he was sitting securely he looked around the bar again.

 

‘It’s like one of those places you see in dramas.’ He commented and bowed his head slightly when the elderly bartender placed a glass in front of him and a plate with snacks between the two of them.

 

Kyuhyun made a sound of acknowledgment while already pouring transparent liquid into their glasses. He slid one of the glasses even closer to Sungmin with the back of his hand, before grabbing his own.

 

‘Drink.’ He commanded and as if it was said to him too, he threw his head back and downed the whole glass in one go.

 

When Kyuhyun lowered his head he saw that Sungmin was expertly emptying his glass before putting it with a little too much strength on the counter. Immediately, Kyuhyun poured him another glass and the process of pouring and drinking continued for the next few rounds before they managed to empty ¾ of the bottle. The bartender was throwing them curious looks but he didn’t say anything and kept to watching TV and serving other customers.

 

They were sitting in silence for a longer moment and Kyuhyun could feel the effect of so many rounds drank in so little time. He was feeling hot and his eyes were surely glazed. He looked at the man next to him and saw that Sungmin wasn’t any better. He obviously didn’t want to talk about work and that was even better. Kyuhyun didn’t want to listen about it just as much as he himself wouldn’t want to talk about designing websites and administering them. But there was something he wanted to hear about and alcohol made him much more daring. So he asked.

 

‘So what’s your and Sungrin’s story, huh?’ He was surprised that the words came out in slight slur already. He should tone down on next drinks.

 

Sungmin stared into space for a longer moment before grabbing the bottle, pouring himself half a glass and drinking it, his head thrown back, eyes closed. He set the glass back on the counter and turned to Kyuhyun but wasn’t looking at him really, only somewhere over his shoulder.

 

‘My wife… Sunkyu… she died when Sungrin was only 6 months old. While she was pregnant, during one of the standard examinations, the doctor found something wrong with her blood work. She had leukemia. It was so sudden, we didn’t know how could that happen.’ He stopped and lowered his face before swallowing hard and continuing. ‘She refused any treatment that might have harmed the baby and it was only the beginning of the pregnancy. The doctors said she might not survive the labour but she was a very stubborn person.’ He chuckled but it sounded pained. ‘Sungrin was born without any complications, but the next six months were hell. Sunkyu’s state was getting worse and worse, we tried everything. Her sister gave her bone marrow but Sunkyu’s body rejected it. And that was it. It was the end. Last few weeks Sunkyu was at home with me and Sungrin, constantly in bed. She never wanted to let go of her baby.’ There was a hitch in Sungmin voice, but it remained steady. ‘But she was always smiling and saying that if Sungrin will remember her at all he needs to remember her smiling so we have thousands of pictures everywhere. I was recording everything I could and every day we were taking a new picture together, until the last day when she didn’t wake up.’ He swallowed thickly and finally looked up at Kyuhyun. His eyes were red and a little puffed, but there were no tears streaming down his face. He looked strong.

 

Kyuhyun fought down the lump that formed in his throat and blinked rapidly to dry the tears that were threatening to fall. Sungmin wasn’t crying, he was obviously devastated but he didn’t shed even one tear.

 

‘Only a little over a year passed, but we’re trying to smile and be happy every day.’ Sungmin commented before sitting with his front to the bar again. ‘I sometimes think that Sunkyu charmed Sungrin, put some spell on him. He almost never cries and everything makes him happy. He’s giggling at everyone and whenever I can’t play with him because of house chores he is fine with gurgling to himself and playing with his toys in his playpen. It’s like her enthusiasm and brightness transferred to him.’ Sungmin shifted in his seat before bringing his hand to his eyes and rubbing them a little.

 

‘How long were you married?’ Kyuhyun managed to ask in a hoarse voice.

 

‘Four years before pregnancy. We dated for two earlier.’ This time Sungmin’s voice was already steady and collected. His cheeks were still flushed and there was wetness in his eyes but he obviously calmed down.

 

Kyuhyun nodded to himself and poured them both another glass. The bottle was finished and he gestured for the ahjussi for two beers. That was enough soju for them both. For a longer moment none of them spoke as they were listening to the commotion in the bar. Finally Sungmin sighed.

 

‘Okay, now you, if we’re having this sentimental talk you need to share how did it turn out that at such young age you have a five year old son and house in hanok village.’ Sungmin asked and leaned with his side on the bar, bottle nursed in one of his hands while the other was hanging loosely from where it was propped against the counter.

 

Kyuhyun stiffened and even in his inebriated state he knew that this wasn’t a great idea. But maybe it was better to get this out in the open before he invested himself too much in this friendship. He took a huge gulp from his beer and set the bottle on the counter.

 

‘I think that first I need to make a confession.’ His voice was a little shaky and he wasn’t looking at his companion. ‘I’m gay.’ He waited for some outburst but the words spoken next surprised him.

 

‘I know, Hyukjae told me.’

 

Kyuhyun snapped his head up and looked with bewilderment at the other male. His mouth opened but he didn’t say a word.

 

‘No place for me to judge, I’m biual myself. Right before Sunkyu I was pretty sure I found my soulmate in a guy.’ Sungmin shrugged and drank from his bottle. ‘As you can imagine that didn’t turn out well, but I’m open for different options. Sunkyu had a field day telling her girlfriends that she would like to see me kissing a guy.’ He scrunched his face but then released a puff of air in a chuckle.

 

‘I… I don’t know…’ Kyuhyun stammered still staring at the guy.

 

‘Just continue with what your confession was supposed to ease me into.’ The smirk on Sungmin’s face was very unnatural for his normally bright and smiling face. But Kyuhyun decided to ignore that.

 

Shaking his head a little to get it clear Kyuhyun sighed.

 

‘I knew I was gay since highschool and I wasn’t very open, it’s not really something people understand here in general.’ He mumbled because only his friends in nursery knew about his preferences and he really didn’t want to be shunned by his neighbors or to create problems for his son. ‘So when I entered university I avoided any social events and groups that could turn my life into hell if I were found out. But in one of my classes I met a girl who immediately knew.’ He scowled remembering that moment when she cornered him after lecture. ‘I thought she would out me but she said she thought I looked lonely without any friends around me ever and that she just wanted to be friends.’ He could feel his face heating up in anger. Even after so many years the memory of that time was like pouring salt onto an open wound. ‘And really, I was lonely. So I… fell for her words.’ He sighed and put his face in his hands stopping this monologue.

 

Sungmin was looking at him for a few seconds before speaking. ‘I suspect things went very bad?’ His voice was calm, but demanded answers.

 

Kyuhyun nodded slowly. ‘It was all a scheme she plotted with a group of her friends. She was slowly easily into my live and at some point she introduced me to her friends promising they were completely fine with my… issue. And they were, at least they were pretending. I was fine and happy that I had friends around me, I started going out and being more social. In the second year she started to sleep over at my place and cuddle. I thought it was because she knew I wouldn’t do anything to her. And she was urging me to drink, but I trusted her and I could finally have my university-life experience. But I was still a little cautious because if I got really wasted I could slip up. I should have noticed at that time that she was getting impatient and snappy with me but I was happy to have someone close there and ignored all signs.’ He heaved a sigh and took a swing from his beer before heading towards the conclusion of what he already thought to be too long of a story. ‘At the beginning of third year she took me to the welcoming party for freshmen and she was supplying me drinks throughout whole night. At some point I out completely, only after some time I started to remember… things.’ He clenched his teeth before continuing. ‘She used me for her experiment. She wanted to see how it was to sleep with a gay guy and after I lost ability to think for myself she took me to my room and… had with me. I don’t even remember it well, but I know it happened because…’ His voice hitched. ‘There is Chunghee.’

 

After scrunching his eyes hard to will the images away Kyuhyun raised his head and looked at the man next to him. Sungmin’s eyes were wide and disbelieving. ‘What?’ Sungmin asked and leaned towards him. ‘She… she you!’

 

Biting his lower lip Kyuhyun decided not to say anything to that. He shrugged his shoulders disregarding that matter. ‘Anyway. She wasn’t that sober herself and forgot about protection. Of course, after that night she started acting like we didn’t know each other, she was making fun of me with her friends and suddenly whole university knew I was gay. My parents were furious when it reached them but at that time I had a bigger problem. One day she just came and started punching me and screaming. She was pregnant. And since her deeply Christian parents found out about pregnancy they forbid her to get rid of the baby.’

 

He saw Sungmin inhale deeply. ‘But how did it happen that Chunghee is with you only?’ Then he suddenly leaned back. ‘I’m sorry, I’m prying. I shouldn’t…’

 

‘No, that’s okay… kinda. I already told you the worst part really.’ Kyuhyun recalled how Sungmin named that part the same as he was referring to it in his mind. ‘Well, we were forced by our parents to live together. I was still attending university and since the news about her pregnancy came out pretty fast everyone though she was lying about my uality. She hated me even more since people turned their backs on her and I hated her for ruining my life. Those five months of her pregnancy were like a rollercoaster in hell. By the end of it I even started to hope for her to die during labour… I’m ashamed of that but I couldn’t stand the screaming, insults and beating that was my everyday life. And then Chunghee was born. So little and ugly.’ He chuckled despite knowing what was to come next. ‘I thought maybe it would be fine, maybe we could work it out somehow. And then, the day after he was born, I came to visit. There was a person from adoption agency, and a strange woman was holding Chunghee and SHE was signing papers waiving her rights as a mother. I don’t remember what happened exactly but security had to me out, I was ready to kill her with my own hands. Chunghee might have been created in that vile way but he was still my son and I knew I wanted to be able to raise him and see him grow.’

 

Suddenly there was a hand on his shoulder and he looked at Sungmin who was smiling gently. So he continued feeling a little better about himself.

 

‘I arranged everything so that Chunghee went home with me and that way I became a single father.’ He smiled a little. ‘My parents were still furious about my uality but they helped until I finished university. Then my grandmother, who was the only one in the family that didn’t cross me out, gave me the house. My father got me my first jobs so that I stopped taking money from him and this is how I ended where I am today.’ He sighed. ‘There is only one problem. She didn’t disappear from my and Chunghee's life. She comes back once or twice a year, messes with my son’s head and then she is gone again with as much money as she can take from me. I can’t do anything, she threatens to accuse me of and forcing her to waive her parental rights.’

 

 The hand on his shoulder tightened its grasp and let go. He heard a heavy sigh from the side and looked at Sungmin.

 

‘It’s all… a mess.’ The brunette said quietly before putting the bottle to his lips and downing the whole beer in one go.

 

Kyuhyun nodded and drank his beer, too. He somehow knew that Sungmin wasn’t taking about only his situation.

 

They sat there at the bar for some time before the owner asked if they were going to order anything else. Kyuhyun shook his head and paid quickly. Sungmin left his wallet in the inside pocket of his jacket. They walked back to the house in silence, both deeply in thoughts.

 

Sulli was reading in the chair in Chunghee’s room while the both boys were still snuggling together on the small bed.

 

‘How am I supposed to pry him away from Chunghee now?’ Sungmin asked with a sigh when Sulli waved them goodbye and went back home.

 

Kyuhyun his lips and clenched his fists before speaking. ‘You don’t have to.’ A questioning look and tilt of the head was enough to post a question from Sungmin. ‘I mean, it’s Saturday tomorrow. I have many rooms here and one is always prepared for guests. I could lend you something to sleep and you can stay here and go home tomorrow. It’s late, boys sleep peacefully and if you’re half as tired as I am it would be better to hit the bed right about now.’ He congratulated himself on the steady voice.

 

Sungmin blinked a few times before a tired smile stretched on his lips. ‘That would be great, actually.’

 

As everything was already set Kyuhyun only had to fish some t-shirt for Sungmin to sleep in since it was too warm to wear anything other than boxer shorts to bed, but he gave him some sweats if he decided he didn’t feel comfortable to sleep only in his underwear. His guest-receiving room was equipped with spare toothbrushes and towels and Sungmin laughed at him a little that he was feeling like in a hotel as they were swallowing painkillers for the hangovers that might hit them in the morning.

 

‘Well, goodnight.’ Kyuhyun said when they stopped in front of the guestroom. His bedroom was right next to Chunghee’s, so that he could hear his son immediately if anything came up, but that also meant it was farther into the hallway. ‘Just use whatever you need if you get up before me. The computer on the coffee table is for everyday use, it’s not secured with passwords so if you need something from there feel free to roam around it. Fridge is okay for breakfast, painkillers you know where.’ He listed observing the amusement bloom on Sungmin’s tired face. He had dark circles that could rival his own after he worked on some projects for whole days and nights, but at least he looked more relaxed.

 

‘Yeah, okay. Just go to sleep. You look ready to pass out.’ Sungmin chuckled and patted Kyuhyun's arm. When he was already padding towards his room while shaking his head he heard his name from behind and half turned to see what Sungmin wanted from him. The man was peaking from around the doorframe with a grin on his face. ‘The fact that I sleep over after you bought me a drink doesn’t mean I’m easy, keep that in mind… for the future.’ And he disappeared, door closing right after.


Kyuhyun stood stunned before walking slowly to his room and bed. When he was already lying in it, eyes wide open and heart racing, he was trying very hard not to think about the male in the other room.