Part 1

Small Love

Completely new story! It will be quite short (for my standards, meaning less than 10 chapters for sure... I hope... I swear I'll try!). I'm still not sure where exactly it'll be heading but I hope you'll enjoy it! This is more of an intro than a real chapter, next ones will be longer.

***

The screams, laughter and some distinct wailing were the audio background of Kyuhyun’s dilemma. In his outstretched arms he was holding a child, that couldn’t be more than a year and a half old and he didn’t know what he should do with that fact.

 

The child was looking back at him with huge black eyes, it seemed as if those eyes were taking almost half of the kid’s face and seriously, Kyuhyun had no idea why it was so hard to tear his own eyes away from them. The kid was blinking while looking at him, curious and not at all scared even though it was handed to a complete stranger a few moments ago.

 

And so, Kyuhyun was still trying to wrap his mind around what happened when a familiar figure appeared in front of him.

 

‘I see Donghae still didn’t learn to distinguish all the kids.’

 

Kyuhyun managed to tear his eyes away from the mesmerizing gaze the child was gracing him with and looked at the man in front of him.

 

‘What is this?’ He asked pointing with his chin at the kid. ‘Did Hyukjae finally knock up some innocent soul, who was most probably underaged and unable to take care of the kid, finally leaving it at the door here?’

 

A glowering face poked from around the screen separating the hall from the play room. ‘Frack you Kyuhyun.’ The man snapped and showed him his middle finger before turning back towards the room, a huge gummy smile spreading all over his face and he cooed. ‘Junjin, that’s a beautiful tower!’

 

Chuckling Kyuhyun looked back at the kid and again he got lost in those bottomless orbs.

 

‘Seriously, I didn’t know you accepted such small kids here, Jungsu-hyung.’ He looked at the child’s outfit. ‘And what is this, a girl, a boy… a bunny?’ He regarded the blue hood with bunny ears on the kids head. He really had a problem with guessing the gender since the kid was dressed all in blue baggy pants and a hoodie of the same color but at the same time he could swear it was prettier than most baby girls he had ever seen.

 

The other man flashed him a dimpled smile and took the child into his arms. The kid immediately wrapped his small, but already quite chubby, arms as much as it could around the man’s neck, its eyes never leaving Kyuhyun's face.

 

‘We do, but there aren’t many parents who want to leave them this young, also it’s kind of a favor for Hyuk’s friend.’ Jungsu balanced the kid on his hip and pinched gently it’s puffy cheek. ‘It’s a boy, Sungrin. His father should be coming here any minute now and maybe that’s why Hae mistook you for him.’ Then he turned towards the inner room and called for the same man that handed Kyuhyun the child earlier.

 

Donghae came from the backroom panting. ‘What happened?’ He was looking between the child, his boss and Kyuhyun.

 

‘This is Lee Sungrin, Hae.’ Jungsu explained, smiling at the kid who was still gaping at Kyuhyun, his lips slightly opened. ‘And this is Cho Kyuhyun.’ He pointed at the man standing beside him. ‘As you can see the names don’t match so if you would be so kind and bring Cho Chunghee it would be great.’

 

Donghae's eyes grew and he bowed low. ‘I’m so sorry, I’m still not familiar with all of the parents.’ And the man run towards the inner room slapping his face.

 

Kyuhyun snorted and was about to ask Jungsu how was his son behaving when a pair of small hands bumped into his chest. He looked down and saw that Sungrin swayed from his caretaker’s arms and towards Kyuhyun. His eyes as big as before.

 

‘No papa.’ The kid said in a gurgling voice making Kyuhyun's insides melt like icebergs under the Hawaiian sun. Instinctively, he grabbed the kid and held it against him.

 

‘Cute, isn’t he?’ Jungsu asked looking at the picture with a soft smile.

 

Kyuhyun swallowed the lump that formed in his throat. ‘Yeah, until he learns how to terrorize everyone around.’ He said and refused to acknowledge that it sounded as if he were cooing.

 

‘I don’t know where you’re getting these ideas from. Chunghee is one of the most well behaved kids here.’ Jungsu smirked knowing what his friend meant.

 

‘Because he saves all the evil for when we’re home.’ Kyuhyun observed as the kid took his hand and started to examine his fingers. He remembered when his own son was this small and couldn’t help but smile. At least until he heard the familiar whine.

 

‘You’re late. And cheating on me.’

 

Scrunching his nose Kyuhyun looked down and saw a messy mop of hair holding a bag pack with cartoon characters all over it. He raised his brow and after managing to pry Sungrin away from himself he kneeled.

 

‘We’re going to cut your hair today even if I have to tie you to the chair.’ He said while running his fingers through the black locks.

 

‘I’m gonna pee my bed.’ The kid rose it’s chin in defiance although his head leaned into his father’s touch.

 

‘Then I’ll have to put it up for drying at the front yard with your name stuck to it.’ Kyuhyun took the bag from the boy and straightened seeing that the boy pouted. He smirked knowing he won and turned towards Jungsu to thank him for the day, when suddenly there was some commotion at the entrance.

 

‘PAPA!’ There was a loud yell and everyone looked at Sungrin whose hands were flying around almost smacking the man holding him.

 

Kyuhyun turned around to see who the kid was calling. There was a panting man in a suit. He had coffee brown hair and eyes as huge as Sungrin. And the same pouty lips. Once again Kyuhyun was unable to tear his eyes away. At least until he got pinched in the thigh.

 

Hissing he looked down. Chunghee was extending his hands towards him and as if on cue Kyuhyun bent down and took the boy into his arms, the familiar and welcomed weight settling against his chest.

 

‘I’m so sorry, am I late a lot?’ The man, that Kyuhyun was staring at just a moment before, came up to them and stood next to him.

 

‘No Sungmin-ssi, you’re barely a few minutes after the time you said you’d come.’ Jungsu grinned while trying to keep the suddenly hyperactive child in his arms.

 

‘Sungrin!’ The man referred to as Sungmin dropped the briefcase onto the floor and gathered the bunny kid into his arms. Suddenly Sungrin calmed down, all plastered against the man’s chest.

 

‘He almost took me home two days ago.’

 

Kyuhyun looked at his own son and furrowed his brows. He remembered that Chunghee told him about that. Donghae was apologizing to him for half an hour for that mistake. And yet he didn’t remember that he was Chunghee’s father today.

 

‘Oh, Chunghee!’ Sungmin turned towards Kyuhyun who suddenly straightened and his breath hitched. ‘It wasn’t too scary, right?’ He asked the boy sitting in Kyu's arms. Chunghee lowered his head shyly and shook his head. Kyuhyun chuckled because his son getting embarrassed wasn’t an everyday sight.

 

‘Well, today Chunghee's father was given Sungrin.’ Jungsu laughed while throwing a glance at ashamed Donghae who was standing beside him and fiddling with his fingers.

 

‘So that makes us kind of almost-stolen-kids even.’ The man holding Sungrin looked straight at Kyuhyun and beamed at him.

 

Kyuhyun could only nod as he suddenly found himself speechless.

 

‘Min, stop sending those beams everywhere, you’re worse than a pregnant woman with all that glow.’ Hyukjae joined the small crowd gathered at the entrance, although he was still throwing glances towards the play room. Most of the kids were sleeping in the back after eating their lunch but there were some, whose parents didn’t want them to nap before coming back home and Hyuk’s job was to entertain them. Currently, he left them a few entangled ropes and promised an award for the first one to pull everything apart. He had at least 5 minutes break.

 

Sungmin chuckled and changed Sungrin’s position in his arms, the small child sticking to him as if he were glued. ‘I’m just happy to see him after the whole day, I’m not used to not having him all the time.’ He tilted his head as much as he could to look at his child before raising his eyes at Jungsu. ‘Thank you hyung, you’re saving my life.’

 

‘This is a nursery, it’s not as if we’re doing this especially for you.’ Hyukjae folded his hands on his chest and snarled. It was obvious he wasn’t having the best of days. How such grumpy man was so good with small kids was a mystery.

 

‘I see you desperately want to be on the cupcake shift.’ Jungsu said with irony. Hyuk only mumbled something and rolled his eyes before jogging back to the room when they all heard a cry.

 

‘But I was supposed to be on the sugar rush shift.’ Donghae pouted and turned around, his slumped form going back to the sleeping room where he was supposed to watch the kids.

 

Sungmin, Kyuhyun and Jungsu looked after him and they all shook their heads with disbelief. ‘Sometimes I wonder about his mental maturity.’ Jungsu mumbled before shrugging and looking at the two pairs before him with expectancy.

 

Kyuhyun suddenly jerked. ‘I’ll go, we still need to get to the hairdresser.’ Chunghee pouted and hid his face in his father’s neck.

 

‘And I need to make dinner for us. See you tomorrow hyung.’ Sungmin picked up his briefcase and moved to one of the trolleys in the receiving area. Parents of the smaller kids often left those there in case Jungsu ordered a walk or simply for convenience sake. The man skillfully placed Sungrin in his trolley, kid’s hoodie riding up and squishing his chubby face a little before his father straightened it and clasped the belts so that he wouldn’t fall out. With the last wave he was out the door quickly.

 

Kyuhyun looked after the man for some time before turning to Jungsu, who had an amused expression on his face.

 

‘He’s single.’ The man sing sang, before turning and walking farther into the building, leaving resigned Kyuhyun alone.

 

Shaking his head at the obvious attempt of some kind of matchmaking Kyuhyun lowered his son onto the ground, put one of the small backpack’s strap on his shoulder and clasping a tiny hand in his big one he strolled out of the nursery.