Part 13

Small Love

1. No, story isn't nearing its end. It escaped my initial idea and will be a little longer than I expected. But hopefully will close in 20 chapters :)

2. I'm considering ending my fanfiction-writer 'career'. After the ending of this story, and the short few chapters of 'Sweep me off my feet', I'll probably stop writing fanfics completely. I see a huge change in the whole fandom, a change I don't like. It discourages me a lot. I won't close my stories, at least at the beginning. Hope you understand.

***

Youngwoon blinked a few times, stopped in mid-chew of the burger on his plate. Then he quickly finished, swallowed half of the water from his glass and looked back at Kyuhyun.

 

‘You’re dating?’ The man’s voice was lower from how he spoke before the announcement.

 

Kyuhyun pushed a fry around his plate before forking it and quickly popping it into his mouth. The chewing and swallowing gave him some time. But there was no avoidance.

 

‘Yeah.’ He admitted, eyes at his friend.

 

Leaning back in his chair Youngwoon looked around. It was a lunch hour and the place was pretty busy, but they were relatively safe to discuss the issue.

 

‘Huh.’ The man grunted and it was obvious he was thinking about it. ‘It’s good. Siwon said that it’ll happen, we just didn’t think so fast.’

 

Rolling his eyes Kyuhyun dropped his fork. Thankfully, he waited with his announcement for the end of their meal.

 

‘Siwon’s a derp. And we just decided it’s the best way to deal with… problems.’ He threw a pointed look at the man, who he knew understood. Every single of his closer friends knew about Chunghee’s mother. ‘Like support group, or something.’

 

Youngwoon’s brow rose, but he didn’t question the choice of words. Instead, he relaxed more into his chair and looked expectantly at Kyuhyun.

 

‘From the lack of a hysteric phone call from Choi household I assume you didn’t tell anyone else.’ It was really strange how serene and wistful Youngwoon’s demeanor was, comparing to how it had been right before his enlistment.

 

Shrugging, Kyuhyun shifted his position and tried to find comfortable one, but the talk itself was making it impossible.

 

‘I want to take him on a date.’ Beating around the bush was pointless. A nod from the man opposite told him to continue. ‘Without kids, just make it at least seem like we’re normal. But seeing as we’re each other’s sitting partners…’

 

A sly smirk bloomed on Youngwoon's face and his brow rose.

 

‘Would that be an evening deal only or should I make sure to clear my plans for the whole weekend?’

 

Kyuhyun sighed with exasperation. He knew that it would turn out this way. Still, Youngwoon was a much safer choice than Siwon. And less mocking one than Kibum.

 

Why was he even friends with those two?

 

Making a few unintelligible flailing gestures Kyuhyun tried to convey his frustration without words. From the grin on his friend’s face he knew that he was only making more of a fool out of himself.

 

‘.’

 

A mirthful laughter bounced of the wall of the small diner and a few heads turned their direction. Finding only two grown up guys, people quickly went back to their own conversations.

 

‘An evening. Just an evening.’ Finally Kyuhyun hissed out and grabbed his cola and chugged it down. He winced at the unpleasant feeling in his throat when the liquid passed through, but it was still better than the humiliation he was experiencing at the hands of his own friend.

 

‘Cool, I’m cool with it. Just teasing.’ Youngwoon finally managed to get out after his chuckles died out. ‘I’m pretty okay with any weekend. Tae’s busy with her new boyfriend and she’s dropping off Youngjin and Minyoung much more often than we agreed, so I can’t really make plans.’

 

Despite the light tone of the comment Kyuhyun knew there was more hidden under Youngwoon's words.

 

‘Everything’s fine?’

 

Shrugging Youngwoon grabbed his glass and drained the rest of his water.

 

‘I’m going to apply for the full custody. Even her parents agreed to testify in my favor – they’re sick of being treated like a free daycare. And kids are with me more than with her anyway.’ There was only a hint of annoyance in his voice, but he quickly masked it with a smile. ‘Jongwoon es about Luna so much, but that’s just divorce talk – they worked it out pretty well. Though, he spends awful lot of time at my house. Maybe I should ask if he’s getting really for shacking up with me, you know, taking example from you and the new guy.’ He jibbed and winked at Kyuhyun.

 

Rolling his eyes Kyuhyun turned to flag the waitress. One meal per week was enough of Youngwoon's company.

 

***

 

‘I don’t know if I’m more surprised or amused.’

 

Sungmin’s voice betrayed that it was rather the latter and Kyuhyun shook his head, eyes glued to the road before him. Why everyone thought it was fun to so much lately?

 

‘I can always leave you on the curb and we forget the whole deal.’ He snapped, hand on the gear jerky, making the car protest at the rough treatment.

 

A pearl laughter filled the space in the car and a hand patted him on the shoulder placatingly.
 

‘Okay, don’t be a baby. We have enough of that at home.’ Sungmin’s voice was still merry.

 

Kyuhyun sighed when the silence stretched, hopeful that the teasing was over.

 

‘Do you want me to act as if it really is a first date and we don’t know all the crap about each other?’

 

Wrinkling his nose Kyuhyun huffed. He turned the right blinker on.

 

‘We’re turning back.’

 

‘No! I’ll stop! Sorry.’ The elder was chuckling as he reached towards the lever and pushed it back to the middle position so that it would stop indicating they were taking the next turn. ‘I just didn’t think this was something you wanted. I can go with it. Sounds fun and I’m going to bat my eyelashes and even allow you to my at the end when we’ll be kissing on my doorstep.’

 

Kyuhyun tore his eyes from the road and threw a grueling look at the other male. At least he was cooperating and didn’t laugh straight into his face when he told him the day before that he was inviting him for their first date. He probably laughed when he was home alone, but the fact that he dressed up and obviously took time to arrange his hair spoke much about his devotion to the cause.

 

It was best to keep his mouth shut and just drive them safely to the restaurant of his choice and Kyuhyun did just that.

 

He booked the table a week before, the same night after they established they were dating, and with the table came a parking spot just in front of the established joint. There were many more luxurious places in Seoul, but he knew the food in that particular was great and they were both more of the quality of food people than the atmosphere and design freaks. Didn’t mean that it wasn’t fancy.

 

Car parked, they both got out. Kyuhyun walked around from the driver’s side to Sungmin and saw the man straightening his one button suit jacket. It didn’t look like his normal work suit. This one was gray silk, perfectly tailored and very fashionable. And Kyuhyun knew that because he had to make a trip to a shop to purchase two new suits after discovering that the old ones didn’t fit him anymore and he didn’t have proper attire for a date like this. But Sungmin looked so perfectly natural in his up-do, as if he were born in it. The light blue shirt with navy t added the casual touch and his tousled hair suggested that this wasn’t another business meeting, but rather one solely for pleasure.

 

Glad that he got talked into buying this particular blue suit, he pulled at the hems of his sleeves and closed the button he undid in the car for the comfort of driving.

 

‘I have to say I like what I’m seeing.’

 

Kyuhyun looked up from placing the car key and documents in the pocket of his pants. Sungmin had a very interested look on his face, head slightly tilted and taking in his whole form.

 

‘Can’t complain either.’ Kyuhyun murmured, still a little not used to flirting. He rarely did it, but it wasn’t the time to stutter and feel awkward. They were already dating.

 

‘Of course you can’t. I pulled all out at this. Meaning I’ll have to send Sungjin a fruit basket or something.’

 

They were already strolling towards the entrance where the waiter greeted them and lead them to their table. It was on the upper floor, by the window. The view wasn’t exactly spectacular, considering they were only one up from the ground floor, but still nicer than downstairs. When seated Kyuhyun looked with question at the other male.

 

‘Send him a basket? What for?’

 

Chuckling Sungmin ran a hand down the lapel of his jacket. ‘You think I dress that well because I know how to? Once a few months I just let Sungjin run free with my card. He’s so good with sizes that I don’t even have to tag along. Unless it’s for suits – then he goes to a shop, chooses a design and gives my measurements and I just go for the fitting and then pick them up. I hate shopping and I don’t care for what’s fashionable.’

 

Kyuhyun raised his brow at that considering for just a moment. It meant that he was actually better at picking his own clothes than Sungmin. Strange thought.

 

Waiter appeared with cards, bowing politely before he retreated to other table. It didn’t take long for them to choose, with Kyuhyun knowing the place well even if he was frequenting it during lunch hours when the dress code was much less demanding, as well as the company.

 

‘I assume we’re not to talk about kids tonight?’ Sungmin propped his elbows on the chair’s armrests and lounged in the seat comfortably. His eyes were boring into Kyuhyun's, attention purely focused on the younger male.

 

‘If you want?’ Kyuhyun shrugged. He ran his fingers through the buttons of his jacket opening it. He wasn’t used to such formal clothes and they felt weird. Sungmin was aware of his discomfort.

 

‘We could have gone to some fast food joint and it’ll still be perfectly fine, you know that, right?’

 

Huffing petulantly Kyuhyun glared at the man.

 

‘You’re not going to let me do this properly, are you?’

 

For once Sungmin didn’t laugh at him, just sighed and moved so that he was leaning on the table.

 

‘Have you dated much before?’ the sincerity of the question threw Kyuhyun off a little.

 

He blinked at the man opposite him a few times before frowning.

 

‘Some, I didn’t exactly have time for proper dating. Before university I was too scared and after I already had an infant to take care of.’

 

Sungmin eyes had the same focused look before he looked down and rubbed his temple. It seemed that he was trying to keep their date casually light for some other reason than mere whim.

 

‘I’ve dated some guys, one in particular made me think that’s the lifestyle I’d like to lead before I met Sunkyu. It’s not easy, it’s downright hard even, and embarrassing when you’re being asked out of the restaurant when other patrons feel uncomfortable because you emit gay. I don’t want to put more strain on us when we are perfectly fine just hanging out in our houses or around our neighborhood.’

 

Kyuhyun tilted his head considering the words. He didn’t think Sungmin would feel that self-conscious. The man continued.

 

‘You don’t have to do all this, I feel content enough in sweats on the couch, watching cartoons. It’s my life now and I resigned myself to it already.’ The smile on Sungmin face didn’t exactly reach his eyes even though it was probably meant to reassure Kyuhyun.

 

Looking down at his own hands Kyuhyun mulled over what the man said. The only nervousness he was feeling was caused by the man opposite him, nothing else about the situation caused him any worry. Even after hearing Sungmin’s thoughts he didn’t think there was any kind of problem for them being where they were. He dated a few guys before, whenever his friends tried to hook him up with someone or he accidentally met a client who expressed his interest, and he never worried about being discriminated in public places. He was more concerned about his neighbors and people living in his village, but only for Chunghee’s sake.

 

Suddenly his mind wrapped around one word mentioned by the man on the other side of the table.

 

Resigned

 

Sighing he looked back at Sungmin, who must have decided that the conversation was over and was gazing out the window.

 

Clearing his throat to get the other’s attention Kyuhyun replied slow, putting his words carefully together.

 

Resigned isn’t a way to live and to raise Sungrin.’

 

There was no anger or annoyance on Sungmin’s face. However, there was something else, something Kyuhyun couldn’t read. Until the man spoke.

 

‘Isn’t that how you’re living? Life sacrificed for Chunghee’s sake?’ Surprisingly the words weren’t biting. However, they surprised Kyuhyun.

 

‘Yes.’ The answer was immediate in his mind as well, but he doubted they both understood it on the same level. ‘At least until I met you. I can’t have someone entering Chunghee’s life and disappear soon after like his mother. His metal state is unstable as it is already, constantly tried by her appearing and disappearing from his life. Until he’s old enough I never planned to date anyone seriously because that brought too much risk. He’s seeing child’s psychologist once a month now, she’s teaching him how to cope with lost and he’s doing really well.’

 

The expression on Sungmin’s face, the one of total befuddlement, made Kyuhyun want to chuckle. Obviously Sungmin had other ideas in his head.

 

‘And why did you allow Sungmin and me so close then?’ The question was laced with true astonishment.

 

A real chuckle escaped Kyuhyun and he felt slight blush creeping onto his cheeks. He didn’t think this conversation would take such course.

 

‘Chunghee got so attached to Sungrin and I doubt that friendship will end fast. He’s old enough to pursue it himself. Even if we fall out you’re going to be still where you are and you’ll never turn from him. That much I’m sure of.’ He knew that he was showing how much faith he had in the other man. However, that was something needed to be done if they were to move forward.

 

Sungmin sat back, eyes wide and utter surprised painted all over his handsome face.

 

‘The wine, gentlemen.’ Waiter swooped in with a bottle and poured some into a goblet for Kyuhyun to approve, since he was the one who ordered it.

 

While tasting the rich burgundy liquid Kyuhyun's eyes hadn’t left Sungmin’s amusedly perplexed face. After nodding with agreement at the wine both of their goblets were filled and the waiter disappeared once again with a promise that they’re food would arrive soon.

 

‘I swear it’ll take years to figure out how your brain works.’ Finally Sungmin spoke in a slightly annoyed manner, however it wasn’t anywhere close to anger so Kyuhyun grinned and chuckled.

 

‘I thought you had some magic powers, with your life so perfectly fitted for you, until I saw what a pain can Sungrin be sometimes.’ He quipped and laughed when Sungmin rolled his eyes.

 

Thankfully, with the heavy discussion over, the rest of the date went smoothly, laced with lighthearted and facetious teasing.