Hero

We Need a Hero

"VIXX,
neoreul wiihan hero,
V-I-X-X.
Bimil-seureon naye him boyeojul-ke 
like a star.

VIXX, 
a hero for you, 
V-I-X-X.
I’ll show you my secret power 
like a star."

Dongwoo stuck his hand out from under the blanket, reaching for the coffee table to feel every edge and space. He walked his fingers along the table until he could grab his phone. With the slide of a finger, he snoozed the alarm and retreated his hand back to under the covers. 

The sleepy Dongwoo took 20 minutes every day to fully wake up from his futon. After the fifth and final alarm, that was when Dongwoo would finally take off the covers and turn the alarm off. He scratched his eye and smacked his lips before rising from his bed.

His quaint studio apartment got the job done, with a small kitchen connecting to the family room that also served as his bedroom. On the side was a small bathroom, where he started his morning taking a cold shower to wake himself up. Next up was putting on his white uniform shirt for work and a comfortable pair of his basketball shorts. Dongwoo was never a huge fan of travelling in his tight work slacks, so he brought his dufflebag with a packed lunch and the rest of his uniform to change into at the lockers. Next up was grabbing a peach from his fruit basket and a bottled black tea for the journey out. His fridge was decorated with open mail of impending bills for the apartment, that which he was waiting on a paycheck for. Passing the reminder he opened the fridge to retrieve his tea, and that was all there was. Tea, packaged tofu, and a bowl of leftover sesame chicken. 

Sinking his teeth into the peach, he slid his bottled tea into his duffle bag and ran for the door. His shift started at 10:00, and he had an hour to get there. Needless to say, transportation was never a big issue because he lived a block away from the subway. The sense of urgency simply came from wanting to be in tip shape and ready for the job. Dongwoo took his work seriously.

"The world is a dangerous place," Dongwoo mumbled to himself, grabbing his keys from a side cabinet. Right on the shelf were several framed pictures, one of them a picture of him and his dad when they were young. Dongwoo was sitting atop his dad's shoulders, the both of them smiling from ear-to-ear. Everyone always told him that was where he got his precious smile, and he kept that close to his heart every day. "I'm out to protect the world," Dongwoo grinned, opening the door to start his day. 

 

-<()>-

 

Dongwoo swiped his card in to enter work through the back door. It was customary for everyone working to pass through a security check for added safety. It was a demanding job that required the utmost honesty, and the wrong person would breach the protection of the nation. Dongwoo nodded his head at the guard checking his bag. "How's your day Chanshik?" he smiled.

"Just another day, the typical stuff." Chanshik took a sniff of Dongwoo's dufflebag. "Jang, did you do the laundry recently?"

"Smells good huh," Dongwoo winked, grabbing his bag back as Chanshik allowed him in.

"See you later Jang!" Chanshik waved.

Dongwoo saluted his fellow coworker and headed towards the lockers. He found his spot and dropped his dufflebag on the bench. Chanshik got the right idea. His slacks were recently washed and pressed, but of course Dongwoo was a man of style and presentability. Everything that he did, he wanted to surpass the mere minimum  and give his all.

"Looking good."

Dongwoo looked up as he finished unbuckling his pants and saw his fellow coworker Shin walk in. 

"What's up Dongwoo!" Dongwoo called out, giving Shin a high five. 

His name was Shin Dongwoo. Yes, another Dongwoo on the job. It was a running joke by everyone to confuse them by calling them by their first name when standing together. Around work both of them went on a last-name basis, but Dongwoo continued calling Shin by his real name because he thought he deserved it. 

"I missed my first subway, but thankfully I made it in on time," Shin explained, opening up his locker to prepare for work. "I hear there's a lot of field trips coming in today, so be prepared for some kids to touch and break everything."

"Will do," Dongwoo nodded, adding his uniform hat to the outfit.

"Well, well. Could it be? Mr. Jang Dongwoo?"

Dongwoo turned to catch the silhouette of a figure pointing straight at him. As he stepped closer, the orange-haired man revealed himself with a smug smirk. His eyes narrowed looking at Dongwoo, giving him a stare that was not only welcoming but threatening. No one could ever tell what his face meant, especially because his face almost had the same confused look for everything. Many did not know how to deal with him, but Dongwoo did.

He was Dongwoo's best friend.

"Is that Mr. Kim Sunggyu?" Dongwoo joked, bringing his hand up to search around the room as if he could barely spot him. Dongwoo played stupid until he bumped elbows with Sunggyu, triggering the following sequence of embarrassing events.

"Up top!"

High five.

"Down bottom!"

Low five.

"Hook it up!"

Pinky hook.

"Twist it now!"

Hopping in a circle on one foot.

"And... BAM!"

Their handshake could not end any other way but a hip bump for good measure.

Every day of work started with the classic Sunggyu and Dongwoo handshake, made up on the second day that the two started working together. Both of them were hired at the same time. At first the two of them ignored each other during their first orientation, but after a full day in the same unit the two were inseparable since. Unlike everyone else, Sunggyu was the only person who called Dongwoo by his first name. Everyone always knew which one he was talking to, though. Sunggyu was hot-tempered and lacked personal ties with his coworkers, but Dongwoo was the only one who could break that fourth wall.

"Another day of work, right Dongwoo?" Sunggyu elbowed Dongwoo at his side. "Put your nametag on."

"I know." Dongwoo ped the smallest pocket of his dufflebag and picked up his nametag to pin at the front of his shirt.

Jang Dongwoo.

"Is this straight?" Dongwoo asked, staring down at his tag.

"Who cares, as long as it's on," Sunggyu whined, patting Dongwoo on the shoulder to start heading out. "You ready for some wild and rambunctious first graders to ruin your day?"

"Well I'm ready. You on the otherhand, I don't know," Dongwoo side-eyed.

"God forbid Sunggyu doesn't flip his lid on a kid who goes through the emergency exit again," Shin snided, leaning his elbow on Dongwoo's shoulder. "His dad almost broke his arm."

"Ya, none of that," Sunggyu scoffed, turning his hat back in correct form. "It's a hard life out there, but I do my best. You two ready to go?"

"Yup," Dongwoo nodded. "Let's get the day started."

The three of them made their way out of the locker room when Sunggyu suddenly stopped everyone for a quick moment. "Dongwoo, guess what?"

"What?"

"Today is our 2-year anniversary of working as security guards."

Without leaving Dongwoo much of a response, Sunggyu exited the room with Shin following closely behind. Dongwoo was in shock. Has it really been two years? Today seemed nothing but an ordinary day for Dongwoo to take on the world, but little did he know that he had been dedicated to the job for this long. It was a weird feeling that overcame Dongwoo, who was neither excited or resentful for it. He was merely indifferent, unsure of an appropriate reaction for this realization. 

He took one last glance at his nametag before he headed out with Sunggyu and Shin.

Jang Dongwoo.

Title: Security Guard.

 

-<()>-

 

Jang Dongwoo was a security guard at the National Museum of Korea, kept in the Yongsan District of Seoul. The museum was home to many artifacts displaying the art, architecture, and history of Korea. The museum held three floors worth of treasures recognized by the national government, that which included Korea's Gold Crown and the bronze boddhissatva. It was a building of irreplaceable memories of the past, present, and future, and one of the most visited spots of the nation.

Dongwoo typically worked the daytime shift at work, but sometimes his schedule warranted him working different types of shifts each day. Five days in a row he could be working at 10:00. Other days, Dongwoo would take a 5:00 shift one time, 10:00 the next, and 21:00 on the final day. Dongwoo loved the thrill the job provided and the different opportunities he had to do different things. Sure, a job as a security guard could only provide so much stimulation, but Dongwoo always made the job special on his own. 

Dongwoo weaved through the first floor of the museum checking on all the exhibits. Shin was not lying when he said the museum would be busy. The whole building was swarming with schools who all decided to come on this very day to check out the newly seasonal exhibit: "Into the Tomb". The summer exhibit provided a closer look into the world of Egyptian art and culture. Walls were lined with hieroglyphics and special drawings depicting life in Egypt many years ago. Pedestals provided scultures of the Egyptian gods that civilization prayed to in the past. Of most importance was the special exhibit centered in the room, explaining and depicting the mummification of famous figures of their past. And the most prized and watched exhibit of the past: the tomb of a real mummy.

With not much going on, Dongwoo stood by the foyer to watch on as visitors entered and exited the museum. For a busy day, everyone was relatively well-behaved. Kids held onto rope to stick together, which made the jobs easier for all the security guards. There was something relaxing for Dongwoo to see everyone enjoying their time at the museum without any trouble. Everyone was safe and sound without a worry, and it put into perspective what Dongwoo wanted the most out of being a security guard. Making sure that everyone around him was safe and sound.

He wanted to be a hero for the people.

Well, Dongwoo did not feel right calling himself one. But it was as close as he could get in the meantime.

"It's so tall."

Dongwoo caught his attention to a little boy pointing high up at the foyer's main exhibit: Gyeongcheonsa Pagoda. The marbled sculpture stands at 13 meters high and is a delight for many visitors from its height. The pagoda creates the illusion that it is constructed out of wood and keeps to old architectural styles.

"How did anyone build that?" the little boy asked.

Dongwoo laughed, making his way towards the little kid to start a conversation. He crouched down to look at the little boy eye-level. "There is a legend about this pagoda, he smiled."

"Really?"

Dongwoo loved making up extravagant stories to entertain the children. "Legend says that whoever climbs the pagoda will be given all the luck in the world!" 

"Hey." The little boy pointed at Dongwoo's nametag. "Can I climb it?"

"You see, kids can't climb it. You have to be a grown up to do it. A man. Any kid who tries to touch it, will be zapped with lightning." Dongwoo needed a reason for the little boy to not misbehave and attempt climbing the pagoda. He also hoped that fifteen years from now the little boy will no remember any of their conversation. Dongwoo's imagination called for whatever he could cook up to make the little boy smile.

The little kid wiped his nose, sniffing it and slowly revealing a smile. "Have you climbed it yet?"

"Not yet," Dongwoo grinned, staring up in awe at the Gyeongcheonsa Pagoda. "I'll get to it eventually."

 

-<()>-

 

"Cheers to our job anniversary?!" Sunggyu announced, raising his glass of beer to clash with Dongwoo's. The two guards sat at the window seat of a bar nearby the National Museum. With a drunken grin two glasses later, Sunggyu was ready to let go after a long day of work. "Dongwoo, it's been two years since we got hired on the job. Two years of being best friends."

"Not exactly," Dongwoo hummed, clinking his glass with Sunggyu's before taking a sip of his drink. A foam mustache formed that Dongwoo off before continuing. "The first time you met me, your first words to me were: 'I don't like you'." 

Sunggyu laughed nervously, taking a big gulp of beer to drown his previous idiocracy. "Well things change, and it turns out you weren't that bad."

"Well unlike me, you're still as bad as you were when I first met you," Dongwoo sniped.

"Don't be like that, chincha!" Sunggyu playfully jabbed Dongwoo in the shoulder.

Sunggyu and Dongwoo crashed their glasses together again for another cheer. At that moment, their waiter appeared to drop off two bowls of spicy ramen for their dinner. Small rewards for a couple of years of work, which passed by quickly. It was difficult for both of them to process how much time had passed by since they were both hired for the job.

"You know," Dongwoo started, placing his drink on the table and grabbing his chopsticks. He pointed them straight at Sunggyu's nose to emphasize his upcoming point. His eyes sparkled with a sudden tenderness. "When I first got this job as a security guard, I wasn't sure what I was doing with my life. It's been really rough, but you know what? I'm happy where I am right now. I'm working a job where I can make an impact on someone's life and make their day a little better. The little moments of saving someone's life, whether it's getting them out of trouble from touching the exhibit or helping a family find their lost child, make this worth it." Dongwoo nodded his head solemnly with a gentle smile, dipping his chopsticks into the broth to stir it around. "Sorry, but I've been thinking a lot today."

"You were always a thinker," Sunggyu smirked, gathering up a stock of noodles to slurp. "Stop being so sentimental."

"Stop eating with a full mouth," Dongwoo called out, flicking the chopsticks out to splash on Sunggyu's nose.

 

-<()>-

 

Dongwoo finally reached his apartment at 10 o' clock in the evening, slightly tipsy and exhausted from the long day. He threw the keys next to a small display cabinet by the door, almost knocking down a framed picture to fall on its face. It was one of those days where he could care less about his proper routine and was ready to sleep. Dragging his feet to the futon, Dongwoo slowly stripped his clothing. His jacket, his uniform button-up, his tie, his slacks, till he was in nothing but his boxers. 

Dongwoo plopped onto his futon, placing one leg cradled on the back cushion while the other drooped to the ground. It had been a tiring day trying to babysit all those kids on their field trip, yet rewarding to watch their lively spirits fill the museum. They were so happy. They had dreams.

Dongwoo used to be one of those kids.

His phone started to ring, reaching over to his coffee table and slapping his phone to answer. "Hello."

"Dongwoo."

"Mom!" Dongwoo stretched his back on the futon, relaxing and closing his eyes. It had been a while since he talked with his mom and he missed living with her and eating her homecooked meals. "How are you? Good day?"

"It wasn't that great, but I made myself octopus stew and it was delicious. If only if I could deliver some to you," his mom joked.

"You made octopus soup?! Chincha!" Dongwoo whined, shifting his body to go on his stomach. "You made it without me? That's my favorite..."

Dongwoo heard slurping sounds through the phone.

"Mom! You're still eating?!"

Through the line was some shuffling, probably to put the dishes away and hide the evidence. All of this was followed by his mom choking, quickly swallowing down the rest of the food. "No..." Gulp. "Not anymore."

Dongwoo could tell on the other side of it all, his mom was grinning and laughing at him. He carried on the rest of the conversation. "Anything else going on?"

"Nothing else going on in my life. But, a certain little boy of mine is going on his second year at his job!"

"Mom, I'm only a security guard," Dongwoo blushed, covering his cheeks as they painted red. His mom had to overcompensate for everything. Something like this was a big deal, but Dongwoo did not want to acknowledge it as one. "I'm just doing my job, and two years passed by in the process."

"Either way, I'm still proud of you. I know that things didn't work out for you with-"

"I know," Dongwoo interrupted. Just reminiscing on that pivotal moment made him sick to his stomach. Reliving the past and knowing what could have been. It still hurt to this day, but Dongwoo was not prepared to discuss the matter. "Thanks mom. Like I said, I'm making the best out of it all."

"That's my boy. Remember, look on the bright side. That's what your dad always did and something you took after him."

Dongwoo nodded his head and smiled. "I love you mom."

"I love you too baby... so are you dating anyone right now?"

"MOM. I'M GOING!" Dongwoo laughed out loud, hanging up the phone and placing it back on the table. Crazy lady. The answer to the question was no, but Dongwoo was not mentally prepared for a long phone conversation with his mom prying in on the details of his life. Dongwoo placed his arm on his forehead and closed his eyes, forcing himself to relax and fall asleep after a long shift at work. Go to sleep Dongwoo. Go to sleep...

His phone kept ringing. Another person calling.

"Come on!" Dongwoo groaned, slapping his phone on the table and sliding it off to answer. "Hello?"

"Dongwoo! It's Sunggyu."

"Sunggyu... I know we had a wonderful time today and you didn't want the night to end, but I'm trying to go to sleep-"

"Woah woah." Sunggyu cleared his throat. "Don't even go there."

Dongwoo smirked, adjusting his position to lie on his side. "What do you want?"

"I need a favor."

"No."

"What? You didn't even hear it!"

"Ok ok, what do you want?"

"I planned out a date with my girlfriend for tomorrow, but I didn't realize I had the graveyard shift. I know you have the day shift tomorrow, and I'm willing to switch with you if you're interested. I'll pay for our next dinner together. Also, you owe me for that one time when you were visiting your mom and the train broke down for work."

Dongwoo was half asleep, but the offer woke him up immediately. The deal was very tempting, especially because it meant Dongwoo could sleep in. Dongwoo also liked working the graveyard shift from time-to-time. It gave a lot of freedom for him to run around the museum and make his own fun. Sunggyu and Dongwoo always traded favors, and this one was no big deal. "Sure, I'll do it."

"Great. Thanks Dongwoo, you're my hero."

Hero. A word that brought many mixed feelings. "I'm not a hero Sunggyu," Dongwoo laughed. "Just your best friend."

"Alright, but you're really saving my life right now. I don't want Bomi mad at me or anything... Like I said, I got you next time."

"Sounds good," Dongwoo yawned. Sleeping for 15 hours straight was the most glorious idea in the world. "Ok, I'm gonna go now. Talk to you later Sunggyu."

"Goodnight Dongwoo. Thanks again for taking the shift."