Prologue

We Need a Hero

It was a bright Saturday morning.

Dongwoo held onto his dad's hand as they exited a grocery market. On his dad's side was a bag full of vegetables, cereal, and milk for their family. On Dongwoo's side he swung around a full bag of manhwa bought by his dad, the week's new addition of comics not only made in Korea but translated from all over the world.

Dongwoo's dad opens the door for him to enter, closing it right behind him as Dongwoo poured out all six newly bought books on his lap. It was his favorite part of the week: hanging out with his dad and getting a weekly dose of comics to read.

They were his favorite thing in the world, especially the American ones. 

"Alright, your mother also says we need to buy some new gardening supplies," his dad announced, closing the door at the driver's seat and starting the car.

"How was work?" Dongwoo asked, grabbing onto his first comic. "You came home late yesterday yelling at mom... you sounded scary."

The wording was a bit off, but Donwoo's dad got the point. "I wasn't yelling at mom," he corrected with a laugh. "I was venting to your mother about a chase last night. We're very close to catching a burglar, but he caused an electrical fire and faulted our path. He got away and I was a little upset, especially after the countless nights I've dedicated to that case for the past month. He's robbed ten businesses so far." The sunlight shined on his police badge hanging on his right chest. Working for 20 years, he has worked every single possible case and level that is possible as a police officer. "That's what happened."

Dongwoo was too immersed into his first comic: Superman. One of the most talked about comics at his school. Donning a red cape with an "S" emblem across his chest, he was a journalist by day and a shining hero of his city by night. Superman flew in the air to save people in need the second he sensed trouble, saving the city from the usual criminal activity as well as incredible villains that also flew in the air. Dongwoo was too excited to read the next issue to notice. "What?"

Dongwoo's dad laughed, looking behind his shoulder to back up the car and leave the parking lot. "Enjoying your comic?"

Dongwoo smiled to his dad. "Superman is so cool! When I grow up, can I fly like him?!"

"Once you graduate from college, you do whatever you want. You can fly... learn invisibility... lasers... you name it." 

It was the heart of an innocent child, one that had dreams of doing anything his heart desired. Dongwoo had been obsessed with superheroes since his dad bought him the first issue of Superman for his birthday. Little did he know that some 90-page book could turn into an extensive hobby, which turned into Dongwoo's hopes and dreams. As a budding child, he already knew what he wanted to be when he grew up.

"I'm gonna be a superhero," Dongwoo declared, placing his hands on his hips and staring off out the window like Superman on the cover.

His dad leaned over and ruffled his son's hair, shaking his head at the imagination he brought upon himself. "Get an education! And after you can be the hero the people need."

 

-<()>-

 

Empty.

Family, friends, and officers gathered together in one cramped room to pay respects to a picture. A single portrait framed in black surrounded with white bouquets to decorate the place. A single white rifle was placed at the foot of the frame, as well as a bulletproof vest with a name threaded at its collar:

Jang Dongmin.

Empty.

That was all Dongwoo felt.

The 10-year-old boy raised his legs on his chair, hugging his knees and placing his chin atop to rest. He stared at the portrait and praying to god it would come alive once more. He wanted nothing more but to go back to that moment when he watched his helpless mom receive that fateful phone call from the department. If only it was something else, like an award or recognition for all of his hard work.

Instead it was a cry.

"Dongwoo, are you feeling ok?" 

Dongwoo turned his head to catch his uncle standing next to him, both hands behind his back as he gave a quick bow to his brother's son. He took a seat and shifted his body close to Dongwoo. Dongwoo barely moved, stunned by everything happening.

In a room full of lamentation, he wanted nothing but to be alone. To somehow teleport himself out of this situation or fly to a world where he could never deal with this. Dongwoo placed his hands on his ears, leaning against his uncle's arm for support.

"I know. I miss your father too." His uncle cleared his throat, playing around with a book in his hands. Nodding his head, he passed the book to Dongwoo for his possession. "This is one of the last things your father bought, and I'm pretty sure it's for you."

Dongwoo stayed quiet, raising his eyebrow and carefully taking the present off of his uncle's hands to inspect. Still in mint condition and wrapped in its plastic sleeve, it was another issue of his favorite comic Superman. On this cover, the illustrious hero flew in the air with two people in his arms, shielding them away from what looked like robbers at the bottom corner. The whole cover was decorated in every color of the rainbow, holographic and changing image depending on the light. Dongwoo tilted his cover in multiple directions, catching every image of Superman flying in the air.

"Your father is always going to take care of you, no matter what," his uncle promised, placing a gentle hand on Dongwoo's shoulder.

Dongwoo continued to stare at the manhwa, narrowing his eyes at the fierce look in Superman's eyes. A look of determination to save the world.

That's exactly what Dongwoo wanted. For his dad, and for himself.

 

"Dad, watch out," Dongwoo mumbled to himself. "I'm gonna be the hero you always were."