Don't Stop the Music

Don't Stop the Music

It's getting late.

Making my way over to my favorite place.

 

Dongwoo stared at the rearview mirror of his car, parked under a single light in the lot. Finalizing his looks for the evening, he the tip of his finger to swipe a piece of hair off his forehead. Next he straightened up his red tie, which provided a nice accent to his all gray suit that was pressed and dry cleaned specifically for the evening. After that, he checked his cupbholder to retrieve his wallet, counting the number of bills he needed for the night and ensuring he had enough. Finally, to top it all off he took one final glance at the rearview and flashed a smile.

The signature Dongwoo smile of knowing it would be a good night.

Dongwoo opened his car door and exited for the restaurant, swinging it closed and alarming it without turning back.

Mia Cucina, one of the most renown Italian restaurants in Seoul. People did not go there unless the night was truly special. The guest list served over a 30 minute wait without a reservation, and on a nice spring day the outdoor terrace was in popular demand. Most of all, in a place like Korea, Italian food was a scarce desire.

Lucky for Dongwoo, he made his reservation two weeks in advance.

"Hello, welcome to Mia Cucina. Do you have a reservation today? A petite lady stood at the entrance, greeting everyone who walked in and demanded a seat.

"I have a table for two at 8:00PM. I believe the name is under Woohyun. I am the other guest. I understand that it is only 7:37 but I came a little early because traffic was clear," Dongwoo smirked.

"I will lead you to your table." The hostess grabbed onto two menus and led Dongwoo through the restaurant. It was a quaint place to eat, with simple lighting fixtures and decorations to provide a chic and modern look for the area. The inside was simple.

But where Dongwoo was seated was the outdoor terrace, the most extravagant area of the restaurant.

The tables were surrounded by a lovely garden of flowers every color of the rainbow, their vines and buds intertwined together along the fencing on top of sculpted bushes into birds. It was the most coveted place on a Friday night, especially when the skies were clear and the moon was shining brightly on the city. The fencing had a stream of lights of an alternating red and gold color, illuminating the area much more into the most romantic place in town.

The hostess sat Dongwoo down and passed a menu to him as well as placing the second one at the empty seat. Dongwoo grabbed the menu and turned the pages to an assortment of different options. Single dishes, a three course meal, a five course meal. Mia Cucina was the real deal, and Dongwoo was impressed with the spot his boyfriend recommended. He knew from looking at the menu he was going to enjoy it.

Coming to his table was a handsome waiter, properly dressed in a white buttoned up shirt and black slacks with a pitcher of water in his hands. His apron held pockets that handled multiple paychecks throughout the restaurant. This would be their waiter for the evening. "Hello, my name is Howon," he introduced, pouring a glass into Dongwoo's water glass. "May I interest you in a wine to start? The Belladonna is one of our most popular choices of red wine and my personal favorite to have with majority of the menu."

Dongwoo liked Howon immediately with his kind demeanor and helping smile. He was able to show great customer service without exaggerating too much of it. Dongwoo knew this was going to be a good night. "I am actually waiting for the other person. I came here a bit earlier than expected, and it will take a while for him to get here."

"How early exactly?" Howon tried to strike a conversation with his guest.

"20 minutes early."

"Well, aren't you a good little date?" Howon tried to hold himself back, finding it absolutely hilarious that a person showed up that early to a date and had to wait to eat and drink. He had to stay in character, though, and could not be a smartass about it. "Whoever this person is, they should never let you go," he joked.

Dongwoo laughed, shaking his head. "Honestly I thought I was going to be late because I work on the opposite side of Seoul. I guess I got really lucky, and for some reason traffic on a Friday night was not terrible in the slightest."

"This place is pretty interesting. We get that comment a lot, and it's usually because the we're close to an expressway that has construction. When there is no construction, you can get to a place in half the time."

"Well that makes a lot of sense, cause I did not see a single thing out on the road."

"Hence why you are here on a godly time." Howon took his pitcher of water and waved to leave. "I am going to check up on other tables. I will come back if you want that glass of wine. Let me know!"

And with that, Howon went back inside the restaurant to serve other people. Dongwoo received nothing but good vibes so far from his effort of service. He is very talkative. I like him. Dongwoo smiled as he took a look at the wine menu, considering sneaking a glass before Woohyun arrived. 

The atmosphere got a lot better. In his time waiting, a live band started to play from inside. The doors were wide open, allowing for the music to flow out to the terrace for everyone to listen. Three people took on jazz instruments: cello, drum, and piano. At each instrument was a stationed microphone for the three of them to sing. Their melodies were infectious as everyone in the restaurant nodded their heads to the beat, as so did Dongwoo. Taking in the music, Dongwoo closed his eyes to enjoy the nice evening under the stars.

"Liking our band?"

Dongwoo opened his eyes to Howon approaching the table once more, leaving his pitcher alone and coming to check in on Dongwoo. Both hands were behind his back as he caught Dongwoo dozing off to the music. "They perform every Friday night."

Dongwoo nodded his head, losing himself in the music. "I love this kind of music. Nothing more than some jazz music to spice up your life. It's perfect for an evening like this."

"They are called Stratosphere. They are a local band only a few blocks away and they used to be regulars at our restaurant. They are a group of brothers who performed at a corner across the street for over a year. Finally our owners asked them if they wanted to have a spot at Mia Cucina. Actually..." Howon laughed to himself thinking about it. "It was sort of my idea."

Dongwoo raised his eyebrow, skeptical that it was his idea. "Really? Are you sure about that?"

"Doubtful, I see." Howon shook his head with a smirk. "I pass by them when I go home, and I always spend a couple minutes or so just dancing to the music. By myself too. All my friends at the restaurant think I embarrass myself too much, but when music is too good why not dance? Don't stop it, keep it going."

"I really like the way you think Howon," Dongwoo complimented, following his finger at the different wine choices provided. "You know, I will have a glass of your Belladonna. I hope you weren't lying when you said it was good."

"Funny you ask for the Belladonna, because..." Howon revealed behind his back a bottle of the Belladonna already uncorked and ready to pour. 

Dongwoo chuckled hysterically. "How did you know I was even gonna order that?"

"What can I say? I'm one of the best waiters here," Howon snided confidently, pouring a generous glass of red wine in Dongwoo's cup. "I know exactly what my customers want... and there you go." Without a single spill, Howon successfully poured the cup and placed it gently in front of Dongwoo's place setting. "Should I pour another one for the other when they arrive?"

"I think we're good for now." Dongwoo grabbed onto the stem of the wine glass and brought the edge to his lips, tiling the glass over to allow a flow of red wine to fall on his tongue. After having his first sip, he placed the cup down. "This is a pretty amazing glass."

"You see, what did I say?" Howon had spent enough time at the table and needed to serve others. "I know my customers." Before walking away, Howon turned his head slightly to make one more remark. "By the way I know the nametag says Howon, but my nickname is Hoya. So feel free to call me that."

Dongwoo had another sip as he left, nodding his head to the music and enjoying his time. "Will do. By the way, you can call me Dongwoo." He took a bigger gulp of wine to drink, almost obsessed with it and close to finishing his glass. It was a few more minutes till his date arrived, but he was already having a fantastic time at the restaurant. "Woohyun needs to try this out."

 

I gotta get my body moving,

Shake the stress away.

Wasn't looking for nobody when you looked my way.

Possible candidate.

 

10 minutes passed 8:00PM.

Dongwoo was on his second glass of Belladonna wine as he waited for Woohyun's arrival. His stomach started to growl, showing in his head as he grew lightweight from drinking his wine like it was only water. With his mind relaxed, he convinced himself that there may have been traffic on Woohyun's way to the restaurant from work. Nothing to worry about when I have my glass of wine and this music playing.

Hoya returned to his table, holding a notepad and pen to report orders for the table. Making a quick spin move to the jazz music playing in the background, he walked over to Dongwoo's table coolly. "Sir, are you ready to order?"

Dongwoo leaned back in his seat, no so impressed with Hoya's moves. "Nice spin. But is that the best you can do?"

"Wait, excuse me?" Hoya was taken aback. "Are you trying to have a dance battle with me while I'm working?"

"A dance battle?" Dongwoo took another sip of his wine and shook his head. "Nice try. Maybe next time."

"I am offended." Hoya brought his hand to his chest, feeling sorrowful that his moves were made fun of. "Alas, I am only a waiter. So the dancing must be put on hold for now. What would you like Dongwoo?"

Dongwoo opened and closed his menu, having very little to say. "You know? I would love to order right now. In fact, I already know what I want, but I think my date is late. He probably got caught in traffic."

"Well that's unfortunate. How about I serve you another glass of wine in the meantime?"

Conveniently, Dongwoo finished his cup just as Hoya mentioned it. "I am sorry, what?"

"Don't worry. I'm getting you another glass of Belladonna," Hoya decided, making his way back inside.

"Wait a minute!" Feeling a little buzzed, Dongwoo put his hand up to stop him. "I mean, I love wine and all, but I am trying to sort of budget my money."

"Oh, money. I forgot about that aspect," Hoya joked, scratching the back of his head with a smile. "All of this wine has been on me. But don't worry, you'll get to spend all your money when you actually order the food." With a pretty cheesy wink, Hoya spun around again to retrieve a bottle of Belladonna.

Dongwoo swayed his head back and forth to the music, progressively getting better as the night went on. He took out his phone to send a quick message to Woohyun, sounding a little needy.

"Hyun, I am at the restaurant and you are officially 15 minutes late from the time! I am hungry, so hurry up. I miss you." From Jang Dongwoo.

Wasting his time, he started noticing the little details placed on the table: in the middle of the setting was a lit modern candelabra with hanging candles, as well as a bed of golden tulips to garnish the base. His setting had a large plate as well as a smaller yellow plate on top, each side displaying two different kinds of forks, a knife, and a spoon. All of this set up to a t for the special evening. Dongwoo almost thought he was in love with the restaurant, the wine getting in his head and making him affectionate about everything.

"I have one more glass of wine for you," Hoya chimed in, getting right to it and pouring a hefty glass for Dongwoo.

In the meantime, Dongwoo made conversation with Hoya. "How long have you been working here?"

Hoya placed Dongwoo's glass on the table and cradled the bottle of Belladonna, pondering the answer to that question. "I want to say that I've been working here for 9 months, but this is my night job. During the day, I'm a scribe for a hospital."

"You're a medical scribe? That's really cool, what does that entail?" Dongwoo had another sip of wine, intrigued in Hoya's background.

"Let's just say I have to state a lot of literal things that doctors do. Nothing poetic about it," Hoya teased. "I don't know, I'm trying to go to nursing school, and between applications and paying for rent I need to do what I can. I'm not from Seoul, so it's a little more difficult to make my name here."

"That's fair. I mean, when you're out here on your own there's only so much you can do, and when you have a side job as a dancer you gotta do what you gotta do," Dongwoo quipped. "I just finished graduate school for managerial business, and that road is pretty difficult. Now 25-years-old, and I need to upgrade from this current accountant position I have..."

"Sorry, you're 25? Not as much as an ahjussi as I thought," Hoya laughed off.

"I don't think you want to call me an ahjussi if you want to live," Dongwoo threatened, pointing his wine glass at Hoya.

"I'll stop I'll stop," Hoya grinned. "I'm only 23, so we're a lot closer in age than you think."

"We are pretty close to age," Dongwoo realized, gulping another mouthful of wine and enjoying it. As his mind unraveled, he felt more and more comfortable talking to Hoya about anything. He almost felt terrible that he hogged a lot of his time away from other customers. "I'm sorry for talking too much. My date will be coming anytime soon, and I don't want to bother you for the rest of the night."

"No, don't worry about it," Hoya ensured, taking a side-step to leave. "I enjoy talking to you. It's my fault I'm not doing my job, and yes I will leave you alone until your date comes. I will come back in 10 minutes for food." Hoya clicked his tongue and pointed right at Dongwoo before leaving, a suave move to help Dongwoo out for the rest of the night.

Dongwoo was having an excellent time so far, enjoying the ambience of the outdoor patio and the music playing. He started to grow a little weary waiting too long, especially since the red wine consumed made him hungry. Dongwoo had faith his date would arrive very soon, allowing a buffer for traffic. He checked his phone for a reply back; nothing. But Dongwoo did not let it ruin his night. I'm waiting for you Woohyun. Once you get here, we're having a good night.

 

Do you know what you started?

I just came here to party.

Now we're rocking on the dance floor acting naughty.

 

One hour later he waited.

Dongwoo sat at his table, spinning the wine glass around in circles as everything bothered him. The terrible jazz music playing in the background, the candle-lit centerpiece that posed as a fire hazard, the atrocious look of flowers and lights around the fencing, the stupid stars and moon in the evening sky. Dongwoo's face was still, sharing the same expression for the past hour as he waited. Soon, all that faith started to go away.

Hoya caught a disheartened Dongwoo at the table, unable to take one look at him. He almost turned his back against him, refusing to serve someone in such a dejected state. Taking a deep breath, Hoya turned back around to put on a face for Dongwoo to smile to as he approached his table for 7th time in an hour as he waited for Dongwoo to order. "Hey Dongwoo, did you decide what you want for dinner?" Hoya asked nonchalantly, saying nothing to bring up his date.

Dongwoo continued to play with his wine glass, his lips and lowering his head as reality sunk in.

"You know, it's already 9:21. You haven't ordered any food yet. The kitchen is closing at 9:30. Do you want me to get you anything?" Hoya tried to get any word out of Dongwoo.

But nothing.

You haven't answered my texts. You haven't answered my calls. I've been waiting at this restaurant for god knows how long. Are you really doing this to me? There was always that silver lining that maybe something horrible happened; a car accident, a family emergency, being called to work overtime. Dongwoo was always the person to give the benefit of the doubt, understanding that certain things were circumstantial and maybe he had no way of accessing his phone to contact him.

Still, it did not get the disappointing feeling to disappear.

Hoya wanted to attempt another glass of wine one more time for Dongwoo to drink, but he knew that right now it would not be the best thing. He wished he knew a way to make everything all better, somehow find this guy and carry him all the way here to enjoy a date with Dongwoo. Someone like him did not deserve a terrible night like this. Of course, there was only so much Hoya could do.

Mia Cucina started to clear out. The restaurant closed at 10:00PM, and as the clock struck 9:25 different families and couples left the restaurant to close out their Friday night.

"This is our last song of the night."

Hoya turned to Stratosphere, who was preparing to play their final song for the evening. Everything was simmering down, and Hoya had no power to do anything about it. Eventually Dongwoo had to leave the restaurant, and it made him sad that the joyous spirit leave on a low note. 

"I don't want any food," Dongwoo finally spoke. He questioned whether it was him who did something wrong to deserve this. Of all the karma, why at this moment? Dongwoo thought he deserved no food, a pathetic loser who is easily forgotten about. An idiot who thought someone cared enough about him, but all of that was a lie. There was nothing more Dongwoo could do but slam his glass on the table and reel in his seat. Listening to the last song of the night, Dongwoo tried to heighten his spirit one more time before he would give up and leave.

Hoya wanted to put in one final word, some kind of word that would give Dongwoo assurance and hope for the night. In between their conversations, he saw nothing but a caring soul who would help out anyone's needs. It was a shame to him that some people treat amazing people terribly.

The band finished their final song of the night as the customers who heard the last of them gave one final round of applause.

"Oh come on, please don't stop the music," Hoya groaned as he checked the time.

9:27, and nothing to show for it.

There was nothing Hoya could do for Dongwoo, regretfully turning around and going on with his job.

Dongwoo was left alone to drown in his sorrows. A table for two, to himself.

 

Your hands around my waist.

Just let the music play.

We're hand in hand,

Just a chance,

Now we're face to face.

 

9:45, and Dongwoo wondered why he waited for over two hours just for someone to ditch him.

Whatever lingering feeling he had, Dongwoo realized how much time he wasted. Checking his phone one final time, he had yet to receive a text about anything. Not a single update to send him over. "Well, this was a lovely date," Dongwoo hummed, holding back his tears as he prepared to stand up from his table.

All of a sudden, two plates were slammed on his table. Both of them sharing the same meal, a full plate each of butternut squash ravioli that was topped with a gorgonzola sauce that tantalized his senses. Dongwoo was startled, his mouth watering was he consumed the smell. "But, what's going..." 

Suddenly taking a seat across from Dongwoo was Hoya, who had dressed down slightly for the occasion. His apron was taken off, his sleeves were folded up to his elbows, his collared shirt was slightly ed, and his hair was ruffled up a little for comfort. Hoya held onto a fork that would have belonged to Woohyun, but instead he pierced a piece of ravioli and scraped some sauce off the plate to shove in his mouth. Showing no manners or patience, Hoya swallowed his food proudly and exhaled with happiness. 

Dongwoo stared back at Hoya, perplexed by everything going on. "Hoya..." he hesitated for a second. "What are you doing?"

"What does it look like I'm doing? I'm just eating." Hoya continued munching on his food, ignoring the fact that he taken the other seat.

Dongwoo looked down at his food, a full plate of Italian food that he had been waiting two whole hours for, brought to him by Hoya. Dongwoo felt like he had no choice, picking up a fork on his side and picking up a piece of ravioli to eat. After all this time moping around, it did not occur to Dongwoo how hungry he was. Finally getting the chance to eat, he opened up his mouth and placed a full saucy piece at his tongue. 

In that instant, Dongwoo almost felt his eyes roll back in splendor of the deliciousness that was the ravioli. It was much more scrumptious than Dongwoo had ever imagined when he read the name off the menu.

"Good ravioli, right?" Hoya commented, taking another bite.

Dongwoo stayed silent to take another piece of ravioli for himself, his taste buds taking full control as his mind went to euphoria. He swallowed his second piece of ravioli and opened his eyes, catching Hoya staring right at him. 

In the midst of his late dinner, Dongwoo stared back at Hoya. Neither of them broke their intense gaze as the both of them completely forget where they were in that quick moment. Dongwoo's heart started to beat a little faster.There was something to Hoya's look and demeanor that was different, and it hard his heart racing. "Hoya, why are you doing this?"

Hoya wondered that same thing himself, his hands buckling and tensing up as Dongwoo continued staring at him. For everything anyone had ever told him, Hoya always had an answer to spew out. This time around, Dongwoo rendered him speechless. "I don't know..." was all Hoya could say. "I guess I didn't want you to leave here without having a proper date." He had no idea what he was saying, but in his mind everything sounded right. "For the next moment, I'll be your date for the rest of the night."

Dongwoo's mouth started to dry. "My... my date?"

Suddenly, the drums started to play from inside the restaurant. It was a simple jazz line, topped with a piano playing after its introduction. Following both instruments, the cello introduced itself as the musician started plucking the strings to a smooth melody that sent the two of them to a state far away than simply being at a restaurant. 

Dongwoo watched as Stratosphere took their places back on the small restaurant stage for a song. "The band is back..."

"Yeah. I pulled some strings, for them to play one more song during our date," Hoya explained, taking a sip of water to wash down his food.

"You got the band to play another song?" Dongwoo had no words.

"Nothing like jazz music to spice up your life, right?" Hoya smiled, repeating what Dongwoo had said earlier in the evening.

A waiter he had talked to in only a span of two hours pulled every stop possible for him to enjoy the night. The free wine to free his mind, a plate of food to fill his stomach, and now getting the jazz band to continue playing for their "date". It was something no one had ever done for Hoya, especially after knowing each other for so little time. Dongwoo had no idea what to tell Hoya. 

He only knew how to dance.

"Come on."

Dongwoo stood up from his chair and grabbed onto Hoya's hand, gently pulling him off his seat to pull him towards the middle of the outside terrace. As Dongwoo drew him closer, it was as if Hoya knew exactly what to do. Without any guidance, Hoya placed his hands on Dongwoo's shoulders. Dongwoo placed his hands on Hoya's upper waist, but after they were placed Hoya brought his hand down to move Dongwoo's hands lower. As the chorus of their song played, Dongwoo and Hoya moved in closer to each other, enough for them to feel each other's breaths.

It was a gorgeous night under the stars for Dongwoo, as well as a sudden appreciation for the flowers and lighting of the terrace. It was everything Dongwoo wanted out of his date, which took a slight turn in an unexpected direction.

"If you wanted a dance battle, then we can't be dancing with each other," Hoya snapped, gently pulling on Dongwoo's shoulders to bring him in closer. "That's not how this works."

Dongwoo bit his lip, bringing his head closer to whisper in Hoya's ear. "I've been in a dance battle like this before. In the end, both people win."

Hoya leaned his head back, impressed by his charming words. "That was nice. Where did you learn that?"

"I don't know," Dongwoo shrugged, rubbing Hoya's waist as if he had known him for a long period of time. "I can think of clever comebacks when the time is right. You're not the only one."

"What else can you tell me?" Hoya tried to provoke him.

"What do you want me to tell you?" Dongwoo brought his face closer to Hoya's, their noses barely close to touching. "Don't you want to listen to the music?"

Hoya did his best to keep his composure, having fun playing their flirtatious game. "Did you really want to dance with me for the music?"

Dongwoo thought he was caught. "Jazz music is lovely, no?"

In that instance Hoya leaned his head closer for their noses to gently brush, tilting his head as if he was preparing for something. "You know what else is lovely?"

Hoya was starting something, and Dongwoo tried to hold himself back for one more second as his senses yearned for more. "I think I know how this question ends."

Hoya had the last laugh. "If you know the answer, then say it."

Of course, the answer was not a sentence. A phrase. It was not a single word.

Without another wasted second, Dongwoo and Hoya crashed their lips together. Their kiss grew passionate, with Hoya grabbing onto the back of Dongwoo's neck as Dongwoo moved his hands to Hoya's lower back to pull him closer. Without a single open space, Hoya craved for Dongwoo's tongue, twirling together as the two were desperate for more, clinging onto their kiss as long as possible.

Before they had to let go.

Dongwoo pulled his head away, to which Hoya tried to follow through until he realized it was over. The two of them gazed intensely at each other, catching their breaths after their share of emotions. Hoya closed his eyes, taking in a deep breath to relax himself and pushing Dongwoo away slightly for air. 

"Was the answer to that question, lips?" Dongwoo smiled.

Hoya crossed his arms, a little embarrassed by his terribly planned pick-up line. "I could do better."

"Dongwoo?"

Both Dongwoo and Hoya turned their heads towards the door as a person with slicked hair and a black suit rushed for the outdoor terrace. His face was sweaty, breathing heavily and leaning over as if he had sprinted a marathon. 

"Woohyun." Dongwoo was shocked to actually see his date, standing right before him.

"Woohyun?" Hoya stood there, dumbfounded that his date actually showed up.

Woohyun took a step forward, putting his hands together and waving them to plead with Dongwoo. He stepped closer to him, almost pushing Hoya aside in the process of his apology. "Dongwoo, I am sorry the night turned out this way. It has been an unlucky day for me. Not only was I forced to work overtime, but my phone also fell into a pool. I tried to contact you through Facebook, but I guess you didn't check it, which is understandable." 

Dongwoo shared a look with Hoya, who lowered his head in a slight disappointment upon seeing Woohyun walk through the restaurant doors. "Really?"

"Look." Woohyun grabbed onto Dongwoo's hands and squeezed them together, moving them around and bouncing them up and down to show his deep regret. "I know that sounds incredibly farfetched, but really you have to believe me. Come on, I've found a late place at a nearby hotel restaurant that serves food up to midnight. I promise, I will make this night up to you."

Without further ado, Woohyun pulled on Dongwoo to leave the restaurant, leaving him no room to share a final word with Hoya before leaving.

As Dongwoo was taken away, he saw the hurt in Hoya's eyes as he was swept away by another person. Right after sharing a kiss that meant more to him than any kiss he had shared in his life, Dongwoo's eyes were apologetic. He did not want to leave. He never wanted to let go of Hoya. Dongwoo wished this night could have ended a different way, wishing his date was another person as the doors closed.

Hoya watched Dongwoo leave, sharing eye contact with him until the very last second of the restaurant doors closing behind him. If there was one thing Hoya regret doing in that moment, he wished he continued trying to kiss Dongwoo. In the end, both of them were fools. Fools caught up in the realms of passion. Looking up at the sky, the stars twinkled from above as Hoya's night ended with the fool getting away. He only wished that he grabbed onto Dongwoo's hand as Woohyun pulled him away.

Hoya leaned against the fencing, watching the band as their final song ended. You were my date. "I wanted to take you away," he muttered to himself.

10:00, and Mia Cucina was closed.

For one night only. Their date was over.

 

Please don't stop the music.