Playground

Growing Up

"Hi, can Yifan come to the park with me?" Chanyeol asked the older woman and she pinched his cheeks.

"Well, aren't you cute?" He guessed it was Yifan's mother by how much she looked like him. "He's just in his room right now, but he should get out of the house more often. Yifan! You're friend wants you to go to the park with him." Yifan didn't have any friends, so when his mom called him, he tried thinking of who could be at the door. Maybe it was the one kid that always made fun of him at school. His mom always said it was just innoceent teasing, but Yifan knew it wasn't, he was quiet but not stupid. Yifan made his was towards the door and almost smiled when he saw Chanyeol.

"Oh, hi Chanyeol." He spoke and waved at the boy getting a very energetic greeting from the other boy who waved back and gave his a large hug and than Yifan froze and pushed Chanyeol a bit too hard and the other boy fell with a frown on his face.

"Sorry, I forgot, I just like hugging people." Chanyeol said and man, did he have a way of making Yifan feel guilty. He helped the other boy up and he could feel his mother's eyes on him and he could imagine the disapproving look on her face, so he didn't turn around as he said, "Bye mom, we'll be back before it gets dark."


Tao was sitting and swinging alone, he was lost within his own young mind and dreaded going home. He did love his gragrandparents who took care of him, he was simply lonely from his parent's divorce. They split and neither took them along with.

'Neither wanted me in the first place.

He was kicking his feet  until he heard voices. A very obnoxious one in particular. He narrowed his eyes as he saw two figures, one bouncing excitedly and the other had a completely stoic face as they came closer to the playground. He picked his brain and realized  they were the two boys from school he had just met the other day. He really didn't feel like socializing much and hoped they would just leave him be.

"Hi Zitao!" The happier boy said before jumping in front of him and scaring him out of the swing. Zitao glared at the elder as he wiped dirt from his pants and Yifan helped him up. Chanyeol was bright red and apologizing with his.mouth moving a mile a minute, but he accepted it anyway. Chanyeol just seemed like an excited puppy, he wished his own outlook on the world was that bright.

"Here, Yifan, can I push you on the swing? I can push you too, Zitao." Chanyeol offered the two boys who just shrugged and nodded after a silent agreement.

Soon, the two were laughing, mostly from Chanyeol's bad jokes but it was refreshing to both of the usually quiet children. Zitao turned to Yifan,

"We should try jumping off." Zitao suggested and noticed Yifan's smile vanish and his hands tighten as his eyes widened almost comically.

"That's a good idea, we can see who can jump the highest!" Chanyeol yelled, but Zitao was beginning to regret saying anything.


 

Yifan couldn't and wouldn't do it, he had been sitting here and kicking his legs for almost minutes now.

"I can't do this!" He exclaimed  loudly and gave his friend a terrified look as his hands gripped the chain tighter.

"You'll be fine." His companion yelled back with a smile adorning his face, "Now, just jump."

And he did.