Bottom of the Second

Swing, Batter Batter
Please log in to read the full chapter

Six

Kyungsoo had a deep frown on his face the moment he walked into the classroom, and his tie was slightly askew, odd for his generally tidy appearance.

He sat in his spot beside of Joonmyun--their teacher had been nice enough to let them choose their seats in the beginning of the year--and stared at the usual crude names carved into his desk. Joonmyun noticed and frowned, setting Kyungsoo's bag over the markings before grabbing his shoulders. "Here, look at me, Kyungsoo."

Kyungsoo blinked those doe eyes of his and looked down as Joonmyun's hands worked at fixing his tie, straightening it up. "Did you have a rough morning?" the other male asked, voice soft and gentle but the demand to know what was on Kyungsoo's mind was silent.

"No, but I had a weird dream. I don't remember what it was about, but it gave me a bad feeling. I'm not sure why. Like the same feeling that was in my stomach yesterday." He sighed softly. "Do you think it's nothing?"

"Who knows?" Joonmyun gave a soft smile. "But gut feelings are usually right. So be careful of people today, alright? Oh, and don't tell any of the other guys on the team if you can help it. It might make them a bit wary for today's game. Especially Yixing. You know how superstitious he is. It might affect his playing."

Kyungsoo nodded in understanding, sighing as he slumped against the desk. "I'm tutoring Jongin at his house tomorrow after school."

"Are you? That's good." He smiled softly and talked with Kyungsoo for a while about what he should help him with and how he should help him. Kyungsoo was always thankful for Joonmyun's calming abilities.

 

*     *     *

 

Game time. Kyungsoo was helping Jongdae fix the buttons on his shirt since he accidentally skipped one somewhere along the way. He gave a dramatic sigh as his fingers worked at the buttons, shaking his head. "I swear, Jongdae, you're like a five-year-old. Can't even dress yourself properly."

"Yah! I can dress myself just fine! The button hole was playing ninja and I couldn't find it!" Jongdae protested in his usual loud voice before laughing. Kyungsoo sighed again, but this time he was smiling a little. The weird feeling in his stomach was nearly all but forgotten.

Siwon and Donghae gave their pep talk, and the team members gathered in the center, yelling "FIGHTING!" before heading out to the bus--today was an away game.

Kyungsoo was about to sit next to Joonmyun on the bus, seeing as Baekhyun was sitting with Chanyeol, when he saw one of the players stand and wave. "Kyungsoo, sit with me!"

It was Jongin and his damn gorgeous smile. Kyungsoo looked at Joonmyun with a questioning gaze, and Joonmyun nodded towards Jongin. "Go sit with him," he said encouragingly. Kyungsoo beamed at Joonmyun in thanks, trying not to look too eager as he went to sit next to Jongin.

In all reality, Kyungsoo and Baekhyun weren't needed at games. But they helped out during practice and all the guys on the team liked them, even the coaches. The first game Kyungsoo and Baekhyun tried to skip out on, Siwon and Donghae had called them and demanded to know why they weren't at the game. So since then, the two boys went to every game and helped carry equipment when someone didn't take it from them--Baekhyun and Kyungsoo were small, after all.

Kyungsoo sat next to Jongin slowly, very aware of their thighs touching in the limited space the seat offered.

"Hey." Jongin was smiling.

"Hey." Kyungsoo was blushing. He also had no idea what to say, or how to start a conversation.

Luckily, Jongin did. "Do you know anything about the team we're playing today? Coach didn't say much, but sometimes he tells you and Baekhyun a little more."

Kyungsoo smiled shyly. "Well, I heard their team was diverse. That they have a fair amount of hitters that bat way into the outfield, but they have a few that like to bunt instead. So be careful when you're pitching. Catch if it's coming at your face."

"Always do," he assured with a chuckle. "Have a little more faith in me than that, Soo."

Soo. It was a nickname, and that alone made Kyungsoo's heart flutter. He bit down on his lip and nodded. "Yeah. I will. You're an amazing pitcher. I really like watching you." Way to sound totally not-creepy, he scolded himself. But Jongin didn't seem to mind, as per his usual easy-going nature. "Thanks, Soo."

"You're welcome," he said softly. "And good luck today, by the way."

Please log in to read the full chapter