Top of the Second

Swing, Batter Batter
Please log in to read the full chapter

Five

It was the day before game day, and for some reason, Kyungsoo had an odd feeling in his tummy. Joonmyun had worried, of course, then suggested that he should go home because he might have caught the stomach flu or something like that. But Kyungsoo shook his head, saying it wasn't a sick feeling. It was something different.

He simply couldn't place it. Then Baekhyun suggested that maybe it wasn't a weird feeling in his tummy at all and that he was getting his first , and Kyungsoo smacked him for it, of course.

So that was another thing ruled out. It wasn't a sickness and most certainly not his s. Kyungsoo sighed, the conversation with his friends changing topic to a cute date Chanyeol had taken Baekhyun on.

"By the way," said Baekhyun with a grin. "Chanyeol gave Jongin your number during algebra earlier. Jongin looked really happy, too."

"It was probably because of something else," Kyungsoo grumbled with a sigh, violently stabbing a piece of chicken with his chopsticks.

Joonmyun sighed, looking at Baekhyun. "I know you're trying to help him and all, Baek, but don't get his hopes up, alright? Kyungsoo doesn't deserve to be let down if it's nothing."

"I'm not trying to!" Baekhyun defended. "I'm simply stating a fact. It will be his own fault if he thinks they're related." Joonmyun sighed, grumbling about implications while Kyungsoo shoved more food into his mouth, pouting.

"But really, Kyungsoo, I think he seemed happy. He was smiling and everything." Baekhyun reached over to pat Kyungsoo's arm before getting up to catch Chanyeol before he left the cafeteria, leaving Kyungsoo and Joonmyun.

"Do you really think there's a chance?" Kyungsoo asked after a moment of silence that usually followed after Baekhyun left the table.

The other male gave a gentle smile, soothingly patting Kyungsoo's knee. "There might be. I'd have to pay more attention to how he acts around you. But either way, try not to let it affect you, that way you won't be let down. Just in case, alright?"

Joonmyun's gentle words and smiles always had a way of soothing Kyungsoo.

 

*     *     *

 

It was the end of the day, and Kyungsoo was walking down with Joonmyun towards the locker rooms so both of them could get ready for baseball practice. They were discussing their world history project when Kyungsoo heard his name being called out, followed by the light footsteps of someone used to running.

"Kyungsoo! Kyungsoo!" Stopping, both males turned to look down the hall, only to find Jongin sporting a boyish grin, hair somewhat out of place from running. "Hey, so Chanyeol gave me your number earlier."

Kyungsoo glanced at Joonmyun who sent him a soft encouraging smile, patting his lower back before walking ahead. Clearing his throat, Kyungsoo fell into place beside Jongin, glancing up at him. "Ah, d-did he?" That stupid stutter was back.

But Jongin didn't seem to mind, smiling as wide as ever. "Yeah. He said you were good at math, and I'm having some trouble myself. Would you mind tutoring me sometime? We can text to work out a schedule around practice. Maybe on Friday or Saturday? Or even Sunday before or after team dinner?"

"Yeah." Kyungsoo's voice was as soft and shy as his smile as they reached the locker room doors.

Please log in to read the full chapter