One

The Reason


You know that old saying, "Some people will die for love, others will die because they lost it."? No? Well, to me, it's full of . 

Believe it or not, a couple minutes ago, I once had a boyfriend. He was a pretty nice guy, you know? With that y skater hair, and those nice skinny jeans matching his converse? That kind of guy. Yeah, so yesterday I actually found out what's been picking at my curiosity these past few months of us dating. 

Now, I don't particularly like judging people for no damn reason, but, for what he did, he should go to hell for it. Seriously. Who does that? Who ing works at a gay strip club whilst having with numerous of men all the while going behind my ing back once again cheating on me with a guy WHILE dating ME? Who. ing. DOES that? 

Let me be honest here. I've got the balls to say that, yes, I've maybe cheated once or twice in my past five or six relationships, but at least I didn't SECRETLY work at a gay strip club, have with all of my clients (even if it wasn't required), and have a gay partner while I was dating someone else. 

Tell me: Who ing does that? 

Never in my entire LIFETIME have I EVER had a relationship like this one before. 

And I loved how he tried to explain himself by saying how much he loved me but not his other 'significant other', and how he played him but not me. When he was done lying, I laughed at him. I laughed at just how pathetic he was acting. Man up. It was your mistake, so there's no beating around it. You ed up so you gotta pay the price.

Anyway, let's get down to the meat and potatoes here. 

My name is Kimberly Stevens. I know, sounds so nice and sweet. I just love how I'm the complete opposite of that.

I'm currently 18, about to be 19 in January; that is about two months from now. 

To put it simply, I'm a tomboy. I don't like glittery things, the color pink, or showy clothing. I'm not a go-to-the-mall person. I don't really get out that much. All I do everyday, you know, other than going to my classes, is play video games, eat pizza, and just be lazy. 

I have one best friend that I sometimes hang out with, considering she has a much difficult schedule than I do. London Park. We're complete opposites. She, to put it plain and simple, is very girly. London wears everything that I hate, and has a chirpy attitude all the time. 

If you two are so different, why is she your best friend? 

Well, you just answered your own question.

We're best friends BECAUSE we're different. She doesn't like to do anything that I like to do, and vice versa. However, that's the beauty of our friendship. She pulls me along with her to girly places and makes me somehow enjoy being there with her, and I would do the same to her. We sometimes get on each other's nerves, but we patch up quickly. No homo, but I love her like crazy. 

I don't have any sisters, but I have one brother, and I'm glad that I only have one. Ty is a pain in the ing . Even though he's two years older than me, he's still crazy childish. He does some stupid . I don't see how his girlfriend puts up with his stupid personality. 

Speaking of his girlfriend, Lily is a pretty nice girl. She may be a little absent-minded sometimes, but other than that, she's alright. I think Ty's with her because of his crazy with asian girls. He just thinks that everything about them are cute. 

Ty's an idiot.

My parents are crazy rich. They earn about $2million every year. Of course, they give half of that money away to countless (legal) charities. My mom works as a head doctor at a hospital not too far from where they live, and my dad is also a head doctor at a much further hospital. 

I know what you're thinking. You're thinking Ty and I get everything we want since we're so rich right? Wrooonng. We get from them. They are so ing stingy when it comes to what we want or either what we need.

Everytime we ask them for something, they're like, "You gotta earn it yourself or else you won't learn how to earn it yourself." Everytime they say that, I just look at them with a what-the-hell look. Seriously. You've got to be kidding me. Earn it ourself? Obviously they don't know what we do everyday to support ourselves. Both Ty and I got two jobs. That's while we're going to school, and keeping up our grades so we won't get kicked out. 

London is well financially taken care of, and she's tried to help me out sometimes, but I don't want her help. I've learned to take care of my own self considering I've done it for so long. If someone were to help me (miraculous), it would be so foreign to me. I'm not use to help of any sort. Everything I do for myself, I do it because it's me that's doing it. I treat myself to pizza every night because I earned it. I work, and I work hard; therefore, I deserve what I do for myself. I just don't want someone else to do my job.

*tweet*

I picked up my cell from beside me to see that someone replied to my post on Twitter. I rolled my eyes. What the hell? Okay, so when I made my Twitter account, I specifically put in my bio that I don't want people to reply to any of my posts. Since then no one's replied to any of my posts, but now some ing idiot wants to be funny, and try the anyway.

Perfect way to start my day.

I clicked open the post, and read what that person said.

'I just love everything that you post! It brightens my day everyday! I also enjoyed that one post where you sung a Kpop song for a dare! Your voice is beautiful! You should totally enter that contest that SM is holding! You would so win! It's a great opportunity! You get to-'

I locked the phone, and sat it back down where it previously was.

I don't think the girl actually thought about what she said. It was a dare that London gave me. I don't like Kpop, nor do I even give a flying about it. It was a dare. Damn.

I picked up my red controller, and unpaused the game. 

I like playing black ops. I love the thrill of killing the zombies. That's really the only reason why I even play it. The zombies are phenomenal. They also look pretty realistic.

Right when I packer-punch my ray gun, my dorm room door bursted open, and a loud, chirpy voice filled the (once) quiet atmosphere (aside from the zombie's pathetic shrieks of pain every time I shot them). 

"Bestie! You won't believe what happened!" London said, and plopped down beside me with her usual, wide smile. I groaned, and paused the game once again.

"Yes, London? Oh, and thank you for knocking. It's always a nice pleasure to know that you're so polite when it comes to me," I replied, sarcastically and sat my controller on the arm of the couch.

London rolled her eyes, and crossed her legs. "Oh stop. You know you never do anything except stay on this old couch, and play games all day."

I shrugged, and got up making my way to the kitchen. "So why are you here?" I asked, entering the small kitchen.

"Well this morning I was on twitter, right? And, like, I saw a post from Amber talking about a contest that SM's holding this year, and so I was thinking that I could enter-"

I poked my head out from the kitchen. "Wait, you want to enter that stupid contest?" I poked my head back in, and continued with pouring myself a glass of orange juice. "Had a feeling you would want to."

London jumped from the couch, walked over, and leaned against the frame that lead into the small kitchen area. 

"No, I wanted to enter- wait. How do you know about the contest?"

I shuffled over to the fridge, and put the juice back in. "Because some replied to my tweet on twitter saying how I should enter it and whatnot. I didn't read the rest because it was so stupid."

London pouted. "Oh. I wanted to surprise you but whatever."

I shrugged again. "Fine with me. I'm not doing it," I walked past her, and sat back down on the couch with my juice in hand. "I don't know a thing about Kpop. All I want to do is keep doing what I do, and live life as it goes. That's it."

London plopped down beside me, and rolled her eyes. "You say that, but I know that you're actually a little interested in what the contest is even about."

"No I'm not," I took a sip of my juice. 

"Yes you are," She replied back, stubbornly.

"London, let me ask you something," I turned to her, turning my body to where my leg was tucked under my other one, and my elbow was resting on the back of the couch. "Have long have you known me?"

She cleared , and brushed her black hair behind her ear. She looked pretty confident. "Since we were in diapers, why?"

"Well, throughout those years, when have you ever heard me talk about Kpop or any kind of foreign music of some kind?"

"None, but-"

"Okay, so that explains everything. I'm done," I turned around, and went back to my game. I heard London sigh beside me. She's trying to throw me the guilt card, but it's not going to work. We've been friends since diapers, I think I'm pretty damn used to it by now.

"Pllleeassse?"

"No."

"For me?"

"No."

"For Ty?"

"HELL no."

"For you?"

"Hell to the no. Stop asking. It's annoying."

She huffed, and crossed her arms over her chest. I smirked to myself. She can't get to me. I barely have a heart so what makes her think that she could pull one over me?

"Fine," She stood up, her arms still crossed. "I gotta go. Amber and I are going shopping, do you want to come?"

I paused the game again, and looked up at her like are you serious. She shook her head, and left out of the dorm. I shrugged, and went back to doing what I love to do. Killing mindless zombies.

~

Amber's pecked at her iPhone screen as she waited for London to show up. They were suppose to go shopping like they always did on a usual Saturday, but London had something else in mind.

Just as she was about to send the message off, she heard the rapid clicking of heels from behind her. She smiled when she felt the girl's soft arms wrap around her neck.

"Heyyyy, Amber~" London sung, and kissed her cheek. Amber blushed, and put her phone in her purse. 

"Hi, London. Are you ready?"

She nodded, and bounced over, an took her hand. Amber chewed on her lip.

"But let's go do something important first." Before Amber could've asked what she was talking about, she was pulled away, barely holding onto her purse. She wondered what was so important that they had to do that came first over shopping.

~

"Name."

"Oh, Kimberly Stevens."

"Age?"

"Um....uh..."

"19."

"Thanks, Amber."

"It's fine."

"Okay, gender?"

"Are you fu-"

"Female."

"Alright, last thing. What can she do?"

"Well she sings, and dance, but I don't see what any of that has to d-"

"Thank you. Her entry has been placed in. Thank you for signing up for our SM NBT SHINee Contest."

Amber dragged London away, and nodded. "I think that went well."

London scowled, and folded her arms across her chest. "That guy was a total jerk. You saw that right? The guy kept cutting me off!"

"London," Amber placed her hands on the girl's shoulders. "Take a deep breath, and just let it go. Kim's entry's in. We came to do what we had to do. It's not that serious."

London inhaled then exhaled, and nodded. "You're right, you're right. Now, let's go kill some time with shopping. I saw a pair of heels that were practically hollering my name last time we were here!"

And so, Amber was pulled along once again.

~

"Die! Are you ing kidding me?! I clearly shot him! Goddamnit!" I yelled, and threw my stick to where it landed just in front of the tv. 

I retrieved the stick, shook my head, and kept on playing until I heard a light tapping against the door. . Today's a ing Saturday. Why can't I get a ing day to myself without no one bothering me? Damn.

"Hold up guys. Somebody's at the door. Block me," I said, then set the stick and my headset down. I took my time to open the door. Like I said, today's a Saturday. Don't people got something else to do than bother me?

Once I opened the door, I was fully enveloped into a pair of frail arms. 

"Omo! I missed you much so, unnie!"

Oh, it's just Lily. Now, unlike London, the girl was one of those cool girly girls. Like she goes shopping, gets her nails done, all that stuff on the daily, but she doesn't try to spend every waking moment with me. Plus, the girl was easy to pull one over. She was just too naive for her own good. Plus, plus, she was new to America. She came to America from South Korea (go figure) about five months ago so she barely knew English. How fortunate for me. The less she understood, the better.

I smiled (awkwardly) while patting her back. "Yep. Missed you too, Lily."

Did I mention that I was older than her by a year?

She pulled me back, and kissed my cheek. I resisted the urge to twitch my eye in annoyance, and just looked at her with (forced) kind eyes. She may be a cool person, but she was wayyyyy to up close and personal for my taste.

"How are you been?" She tried saying, but I knew what she meant. I wiggled my way out of her startling strong hold, pulled her in, and closed the door. 

"I've been alright. What about you?"

We both took a seat on the couch, and relaxed. Well, I did, but she sat in a much...stiffer position. With her back arched, she sat with her legs tucked under the other, and her hands folded in front of them. She looked like she was in an interview.

"I been okay. Ty and I, we go out every weekend. He so funny. He call me his sweet gumdrop." She blushed. I tried not to gag, but could you blame me? Gumdrop? Who in the -

"But Kimberly-unnie, why you no have boyfriend? You very pretty, and you are nice all the time. I see no problem."

I sighed. I hate talking anything that relates to the opposite . God. Why can't we just sit here and do nothing? 

"Well let me put it straight to you, Lily. I'm not interested in guys right now. Really. I'm not. I just got-"

"So you interested with girls?"

I choked on my spit. "W-what?"

She blinked. "You date girls?"

"No! Hell no! Lily, I'm not gay! I was just saying that I just got out of a relationship (could I even call it that?), and I'm just not looking for anyone right now."

She nodded, and smiled. "Oh. So sorry. I thought you go gay for one minute unnie."

I shook my head. "Nope. Still liking guys. So what brought you here?"

"Oh!" She went in her purse, then pulled out an envelope, and handed it to me. I looked at it blankly before raising an eyebrow. "It for you."

"I got that, but what is it?"

She giggled. "You have to open it."

First time that I've ever heard her say one normal sentence.

I sighed, and tore it open and found two concert tickets, and two backstage passes to match them. I looked at her, then back down at the items. 

"Concert tickets? To what concert?"

Lily smiled, then stood up. "Go, no? I will be there when you come. The other one for London. I see you later, unnie. Bye bye!"

And as fast as she came, she left just like that. I don't know how long I sat there staring at the tickets until my cell blasted. I patted myself down until I found it, and put it against my ear. Damn, it's cold.

"Yellow?"

"Oh, thank god! I literally thought you were NEVER going to pick up the phone!" I sighed mentally. What the hell was she saying? She's not making any damn sense.

"Yeah, so you needed something?"

"Oh, yeah! Okay, so I need you to, like, get dressed really dancey, and come to the mall. Just come to the entrance and we'll go from there, kay? Like, really hurry! Love ya! Ta-ta! Muwah!"

And just like that, I was left with even more questions. She wants me to dress up dancey? What the hell does that mean? I rolled my eyes, and decided to just go with what I had on. I was wearing loose fitting capris, black and white converse, and a loose black tank top with a red stripped boy's dress shirt over it. I just left my long hair down, not seeing the need to do anything with it. I really should cut it soon.

What was the occasion even for anyway?

~

"Where is she already? I told her to hurry," London worriedly said mostly to herself. Amber shook her head while also looking for a dark brown haired Kimberly.

"I don't know, but she needs to hurry. Unnie, I told you to tell her about it. Maybe if you would've told her she would've picked up the pace," Amber said with a pout.

London rose an eyebrow in her direction. "Really? Honestly Amber, you've got to be much smarter than that. If Kimberly even knew how we went behind her back, and entered her in that contest we'd be-"

"What contest?"

Both London and Amber quickly turned around to see a bored looking (non dressed like London had told her to) Kimberly, slightly confused. 

Amber looked at London basically telling her to make up something. London blinked twice to let her know that she understood because she was starting to think the same. 

"Oh nothing," She pulled the younger forward into a hug (one which Kimberly felt annoyed by since she wasn't exactly the touchy feely type). "We were ACTUALLY talking about how we entered you into this...uh....uh....BLACK OPS CONTEST. Yeah! That's what it was. We..uh..you know, didn't want you to find out because it was suppose to be a surprise, but.....surprise!"

Amber let out a small sigh of relief and it was replaced with a smile. "Yep. Guess it's not a surprise now."

Kimberly pulled back, her eyebrow raised. "So you two sneakily entered me into a black ops contest?" They both nodded, their hearts pounding. Kimberly may not look it, but the girl was scary when pissed. She could make you wish that you didn't even exist by not even laying a hand on you. The girl was just terrifying. "Hm. Well that's cool. What's surprising me though about this whole ordeal is how you two thought about me when coming to the mall when usually you two wouldn't."

Amber intervened. "W-well that's because we remembered how much you love playing that game so we thought, hey, let's just enter Kimberly in it, and make it a surprise."

Kimberly looked at London for confirmation. She nodded. Kimberly shrugged. "Well alright. So why'd you need me to come here?"

"Well the black ops contest starts in about ten minutes from now so we wanted you to get here early so we'd have time to surprise you."

Kimberly nodded. "Alright. Aren't we gonna go inside?"

"Oh!" London and Amber led her inside the mall, and began leading her to where the contest was held.

"So do you guys know if there's a gender rule or something?" Kimberly asked.

London shook her head smiling. "Nope. Anyone can audition."

"Huh? Auditi-"

"So," Amber started. "--are you nervous?"

"Eh, not really. I'm pretty good at killing zombies. Wish I could get off the game long enough to practice my dance moves and improve my singing," Kimberly snorted. "Bet Mrs. Lee is going to be really pissed once she finds out that I haven't been practicing."

"I'm sure you'll do great, unnie!" Amber said, and winked.

Kimberly smirked. "Thanks."

"Well, this is it," London said as they stopped in front of a pair of maroon double doors. Amber pushed open the doors and inside was a lot of people around their teens standing around just talking amongst themselves. The three got through the huge crowd of people, and made their way to the front. 

"So, uh, how is this thing gonna work anyway? Are they gonna call out names at a time to show off their skills or what?" Kimberly asked, staring at one girl who didn't look like she was practicing for a game contest. London nodded, smirking. She looked at Amber who smirked too.

"Yep, something like that."

"Okay, could I get everyone's attention! Those of you who can speak Korean or can understand Korean, please raise your hand!" The announcer said into a microphone.

Kimberly rose an eyebrow. "The hell? What does knowing korean or understanding it have to do with this damn contest?"

Both London and Amber rose their hands, and basically everyone in the auditorium followed suit. The announcer nodded with a smile. "Perfect! Before we begin, let me go over the rules."

 Before Kimberly had the chance to catch what the announcer was going to say, London quickly pulled out her iPod, pushed the play button on the earbuds, and shoved the earbuds in her ear. Kimberly was about to question her when she waved her hands basically telling her not to worry about it, and just listen. Kimberly rolled her eyes, and just listened to it. Lucky for London the song was actually one that she liked.

Amber looked at London confusedly then caught on to the situation. 

"We can't let her know what kind of contest this actually is. Remember? Until it actually starts, we have to prevent her from getting curious."

Amber nodded, and gave her a thumbs up. "Gotcha."

~

So the whole time people were practicing, both Amber and London made sure that Kimberly didn't look at them, or take out the earbuds until the contest actually started, and when they called her name to go.

After ten more minutes, unlike Kimberly (since the music was extremely loud - how she liked it) the auditorium was quickly filled shrieks and what sounded to them like some crying. Since they had forgotten what kind of contest they had entered Kimberly in, they wanted to know who it was too. 

Without bothering Kimberly (who was sitting down on the floor, her knees pulled up to her chest, and her head in between them) they tried making their way to where most of everyone was crowding at, and they both literally almost had a sudden heart attack. 

There they stood. Waving, signing autographs, joking around, and just smiling. And they looked even more beautiful so close. London and Amber weren't exactly not too far away from them. The close proximity in between them were just a spit away. But they didn't move towards them. It wasn't when London's bias looked her right in the eyes that she squealed, and ran back to where Kimberly was still sitting. Not wanting to left alone there where the others could stare at her, she fled back with London.

It would seem that this contest thing was gonna last longer than they expected.

~

Once the idols that were hosting the whole thing sat down in front of the stage with the long table in front of them and everything, the auditions began. 

Surprisingly to both London and Amber, the audtionees had to audition one by one. It seemed like it took forever, but then Amber realized something. Kimberly was going to have to go last. When they entered her in the contest, the guy didn't even give them a number for her. Holy .

Amber told London who freaked out too. Of course, they didn't tell Kimberly that. They would just have to wait. Besides, save the best for last, huh?

~

"Thank you. Next." The announcer said in translate to what the idols told him to say.

The girl was breathless as she descended the steps, and out of the auditorium with a guy following behind her trying to tell her that she did great and that he was sure that she would get picked or at least go to the next round. She waved him off, obviously knowing that she had made plenty of mistakes to know she didn't make it. 

"Next," The announcer repeated.

Amber stirred from her slumber, and heard the announcer then noticed that the three of them were the only ones left. She shook London awake who shook Kimberly awake. Kimberly pulled out the earbuds, stood up, and stretched. 

"It's time for me to go?" Amber and London jumped up, and nodded. 

"Yep. Do well unnie!" They both said, and winked. Kimberly rolled her eyes with a small smile, and stepped on the stage, then stood in the middle. That's when she noticed them.

"Holy ."

She looked down at London and Amber who smirked. Kimberly was about to flip the both of them off when the blonde one with the cross shirt spoke up.

"You can start," He said, in korean. She cursed in her head cause she didn't understand him, and just what the hell he was talking about. She looked at her two idiot friends when they began making dancey movements and singing gestures. When Kimberly still wasn't able to comprehend, the announcer spoke up.

"Start your audition, please," He translated.

Kimberly's eyes widened as she caught on. It was the audition. The one that that idiot on Twitter was talking about. The one London had been rambling on about. The one London wanted her to do.

Holy crap.